• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

OBscene 1.0 - Ottawa, Ontario - Feb 28th - COME PLAY HOLY

buenob

Smash Lord

---------- Introduction ----------
Welcome to the first in what we hope to be a series of Brawl tournaments here in Ottawa.

Players from outside regions may notice that a few rules here in Ottawa are a bit different from what they may be used to. Please come and try out these slight variations and, most importantly, leave feedback on how they fared. Comments on your experience with these rules will be of much use to us as we formulate the best possible competitive ruleset for Brawl.

Of special note is that the OC Transpo Bus strike is STILL DONE! Getting around the city will be fine.

For more information please contact the tournament organizers:
- Buenob - da underscore bune 101 at hotmail dot com
- IvanEva - ivaneva at hotmail dot com
- remilia scarlet
- awal
- JOSH!
- Fogel

---------- Vital Information ----------
When:
February 28th- from noon to 12am.

Where:
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada -- Southminster United Church - Ladies Parlour
15 Aylmer Avenue
Ottawa, ON K1S 3X1
How to get there from the East
How to get there from the West

Entry Fees:
Singles - $15/person
Teams - $20/team

Prizes:
(Pot) - (Venue fee (~$190, $120 to be taken from Singles' pot, the rest from Double's pot)) = (Pay out)

Singles - 40/25/15/10/10 split of single's pot. (i.e First place gets 40% of the single's pot, second gets 25%, etc.)
Doubles - 65/25/10 split of double's pot.

Format:
- Round robin pools for singles, best of 3, at LEAST top3 from each pool advance.
- Top 32 from pools advance to double elimination bracket.
- If turnout is too large, we may run double pools and reduce the stock to 2 during first pools.
- Doubles will just start with 32 team bracket, first 32 teams to sign up are entered (so post your team name here to pre-register for teams).

---------- Game Rules ----------
General rules:
- Timer set to 7min
- Bo3 sets, with all "finals" being Bo5
- 3 stock, ties decided first by stock, then by percentage
- Items set to "off" and "none"
- You may not force an opponent to a stage you have already won
- Excessive stalling is banned at the discretion of the tournament organizers.
- Any glitch purposefully initiated by a player will result in that players immediate loss, and forfeit of any further matches
- Bowser and Ganondorf's side-b moves will result in a win if finishing the match for the player who initiates the move
- Controller port choice will be decided via coin toss to see who puts it in first by a tournament organizer prior to the match
- Stage striking order is determined via the same coin flip

Teams Specific rules:
- Controller ports in the 1221 configuration
- Team attack set to 'on'
- Life stealing is allowed

Set Format:
- Opponents plug their controllers into the wii in their desired locations in the order decided via coin toss
- Opponents choose first character for the match (double blind can be called)
- Opponents start the stage striking procedure, the player who plugged in first also strikes the first stage
- The first game is played on the stage chosen in step 3
- Stage Banning -- Each player/team gets 2 bans. Players alternate banning stages. The player who won the first set bans first.
- The loser of the previous match now chooses 1 level from the Starter or Counter Pick list to play the next match on
- The loser of the match can choose which controller port he wants (followed by the winner)
- The winner of the previous match now chooses their character
- The loser of the previous match now chooses their character
- REPEAT the previous 4 steps until the set is complete

Legal stages:
Out-of-towners will notice that the Ottawa stage lists are a bit more liberal than most other regions. However, each player gets TWO stage bans rather and just one.

Starter Stages:
Battlefield
Castle Siege
Delphino Plaza
Final Destination
Halberd
Smashville
Yoshi's Island Brawl

Counterpick Stages:
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Lylat Cruise
Norfair
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokemon Stadium 1
Pokemon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise - Melee
Skyworld

---------- Housing, Equipment, Participants, etc. ----------
Housing:
For out-of-towners or those who may not have an easy time coming or going from the tournament, housing will be provided. Please post to request an available spot (or to offer a spot).

Available housing:
Buenob - 6 open spots (5 couch + 1 chair/floor pillows) + more floor space if you can be comfortable (hardwood flooring)

Zylem - 2 open spots (2 on futon)

Equipment:
Since we aren't too keen on having a large tournament run on one set up, it's highly recommended that those who are able to bring televisions, Wiis + Brawl, and/or extension cables, do so. Please post if you're able to contribute.

TV's:
buenob
buenob
buenob
buenob
infzy
matt07
fogel
fogel
WE NEED MOAR!

Wii's:
buenob
buenob
buenob
IvanEva
remilia scarlet
steb
matt07
--plz bring yours if you can

extension cables:
buenob
steb

recording devices:
steb
infzy
Participants:
The following is a list of players who have expressed interest/confirmed that they are attending.

Singles:
1. Arsenic
2. buenob
3. Fogel
4. IvanEva
5. Linkshot
6. retlaf
7. Zylem
8. ThatGuy-Montreal
9. Zaf-Montreal
10. Chet-Montreal
11. Holly-Montreal
12. Kaze
13. PNDMike-Niagara + 3? (give me names!!)
14. Infzy
15. TheJiggernaut
16. Haze
17. NikoK-Niagara
18. Colin (non SWF member)
19. Steb - Montreal
20. Moses
21. Joblin
22. Locke
23. Convict
24. Convict's +1
25. LivewiresXe
26. RIG! (just kidding) SAUS
27. Matt07
28. T0ny
29. T0ny+1
30. T0ny+2
31. Kage (the Warrior Within)
32. IkeMaster (finally get to meet you!)
33. DiddyKing + friends?
34. Haze
35. Knuckles
36. HiDef
37. Soln

buenob

Smash Lord
<for tourney purposes>

So some of you may be wondering about the set list. We've been testing out levels and really this list is the largest we can come up with under the philosophy of the only thing ban worthy should be levels which are "broken" via definition. Just because it's a hassle (skyworld) doesn't mean it's broken. Levels that provide the option to circle-camp are banned, and levels where a single strategy dominates play, or the level is _too_ integral to fighting, are also banned. Since this does mean that there are more levels, there are also more bad levels for each character, so to counter-act this each person gets 2 stage bans instead of one. This does put more emphasis on stage selection, and properly counterpicking your opponent plays a bigger part of the match.

Food: I am taking no responsibility for food stuffs. There will be a definite 45 min between doubles and singles pools, and again between singles pools and brackets

Seeding the Pools: I will seed the pools by hand, since I will know more or less the relative skill level of most people there. Obviously with a bit of extra input from the other TO's. Hopefully there won't be a death pool, but they will be generated based on my seeds, and they will not get re-done.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Yay, the thread's up! It's... kind of ugly though. Remind me to make a logo and format the **** out of that post. I had a hard time finding the date.

Are there any concrete examples of these 'stalling' tactics that are banned?

Remilia Scarlet

Smash Cadet
I'll donate a wii. Unfortunately I don't think I'll have a TV handy to bring.

Also, I'll try to get some hype around my school; I know some people who casual Brawl around there.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Looks sweet, man. You forgot lylat cruise, though. Its not in starters, cp's, or banned. I like the fact that there are new stages added. It gives the lesser played characters more of a chance. However, I'm not sure if sky world should be there just yet. Don't get me wrong, I like the stage and want it up there, but I think we should test it out at a biweekly before hand. I don't want to drive away players.

Also, I'm not sure about pokemon stadium 2. All it really promotes is random death. 3 out of the 4 types are just stage hazards. Which characters would do well on this stage? Really its best use would be to pick it if you don't think you'll win and hope you get lucky.

buenob

Smash Lord
If a level is random, it benefits the better player... if a level is broken, it is character specific

Fogel

Smash Lord
Tournament Organizers:
Buenob
IvanEva
<honourary mention for helping us but not really doing anything> Fogel
Hey! At least call me an advisor or something...

I should be able to help out more if I don't have to work during the tourney.

edit: There you go, I just advertised for you in the Montreal/GTA/Niagara threads. Now you can't say I did nothing for you :p

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
If a level is random, it benefits the better player... if a level is broken, it is character specific
Good point. This is what makes it debatable, though.

It’s not always true, however that randomness of a level benefits the better player. It does aide the player who knows how to use the specific aspect the best, but that's nearly the same anyways.

Randomness does not just help the better player all the time. About this stage specifically, I feel Pokemon stadium 2 does not possess this kind of randomness that will help the better player. In this stage, there are 5 sections. One is neutral, one is a stage shape, and the other 3 are hazards.

Low grav just ruins gameplay all together and lasts way more than the 6 seconds on pirate ship. All vertical KO's are magnified, which gives specific characters a boost at a totally unpredictable section of the stage. It doesn't necessarily help aerial character either, since it is so floaty that it is very hard to control. I believe that it lasts longer than it does on spear pillar, and that’s one of the many reasons it's banned.

Then there is the ice, which causes major skidding and tripping. It cripples all characters' ground games, which destroys certain characters for 30 or so seconds. This is one of the reasons Icicle Mountain is banned.

And then there is the electric part of the stage. This stage is a psychopathic murderer. The conveyer belts lead all the way to the ledges of this stage, so if it knocks you off, you only have jumping or certain rolls that will get you up without you falling off again. In this section, you are simply fighting the stage and not the player. All a player can do to use these to his advantage is to hit his opponents onto them and get off of them himself. This hazard kills more often than all the hazards on halberd combined, and unlike the conveyer belts, none of them will gimp you.

Really, the hazards are so varied that the best reason to pick it would be if you didn't think you would win, so you would pick this stage and hope the hazards that will help you the most come up often. Because in a regular match, why would you risk having your hazards come up not often. Who would counterpick it for any other reason?

buenob

Smash Lord
EDIT: Oops, forgot I wasn't on my account. This is IvanEva here.

Pokemon Stadium 2 is completely fine. No problems whatsoever apart from prejudice. However, if Obama can do it, so can PS 2! Low grav changes who has the advantage and who doesn't, nothing more. Characters like Ness and Ivysaur benefit greatly from it. It's a breeze to control the characters. Skidding is used very intelligently by some players. You'll know them when you start seeing some cool sliding up smash craziness. The electric part is more useful than detrimental. Nobody has ever been killed by the conveyor belts (since you can't be killed by them :p). There are no hazards on PS 2, just situations that open up all kinds of adaptive strategies. Trust me, play on it more and you'll learn to love it.

But anyhow, enough stage talking; we needs some more HYPE! Specifically, who's in for this? Jiggernaut, are you in? C'mon Ottawa kids, let's get some official "I'm in!" for this! Tell your family, drag your friends into it, find other Brawl players!

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Skyworld!?!

I am definately going to come to this event. zaf will be my driver so you can mark him down as well. I can't speak for them but Holy/Ally will probably go as well...5th spot is up in the air as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers!

buenob

Smash Lord
I've been spreading the word around, and I can't confirm yet but I am thinking ~8 people who don't post on the smash boards will be joining us

Percon

Smash Lord
fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Feb 28!? Why does everything have to happen on that day?

(gf's birthday, UOIT open house thing, I'm gonna have my hands full)

:(

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
EDIT: Oops, forgot I wasn't on my account. This is IvanEva here.

Pokemon Stadium 2 is completely fine. No problems whatsoever apart from prejudice. However, if Obama can do it, so can PS 2! Low grav changes who has the advantage and who doesn't, nothing more. Characters like Ness and Ivysaur benefit greatly from it. It's a breeze to control the characters. Skidding is used very intelligently by some players. You'll know them when you start seeing some cool sliding up smash craziness. The electric part is more useful than detrimental. Nobody has ever been killed by the conveyor belts (since you can't be killed by them :p). There are no hazards on PS 2, just situations that open up all kinds of adaptive strategies. Trust me, play on it more and you'll learn to love it.

But anyhow, enough stage talking; we needs some more HYPE! Specifically, who's in for this? Jiggernaut, are you in? C'mon Ottawa kids, let's get some official "I'm in!" for this! Tell your family, drag your friends into it, find other Brawl players!
Oh, I thought I mentioned; I'm in!

Actually, I like most stages. I enjoy playing on stages that are not at all for competitive play. However, I also know that some players will not go to a tournament if there are too many stages with 'random' happenings. I'm mostly arguing for them. I'm more than willing to try out this stage more. I mostly don't like the conveyer belt part just because of having to play it online in lag. You kind of just die. So ya, don't get me wrong; I don't really hate the stage, just arguing the other side.

PND

Smash Champion
Sign me up. I'd be willing to help with whatever is needed. I'll drag a carload of gta/n peeps with me.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Awesome cover image.

Count me in. You can use my TV (currently at Fogel's), and I'd bring my Wii and videocamera.

w00t.

Steb

Smash Journeyman
I feel sorry for you Max, you'll be single and a drop-out but at least you'll have played Brawl in Ottawa. :laugh:
This made me LOL.

I'll be coming to this if I can get a day off.
I'll go ask the other Montreal people tomorrow if they're coming to this.

And Skyworld? You sure?

EDIT: Forgot equipment. I'll be bringing a Wii, a powerbar, and my recording stuff.

tect

Smash Journeyman
unfortunately... i will be in toronto
track and field strikes again! ... OUA championships.. can't really skip out

arsenic41

Smash Ace
unfortunately... i will be in toronto
track and field strikes again! ... OUA championships.. can't really skip out
If you were as good as I remember, you should be able to win the championship, sprint back to Kingston, drink some power thirst, and run to Ottawa in 10 seconds flat.

Oh, and also..I'm in, but I'm totally up for some melee.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
I'm thinking that instead of having Singles and Doubles it should be Brawl Singles and Castlevania Judgement Singles. Sure, the turnout may not be quite as high, but at least you'll have cooler people because, let's face it, only the coolest of the cool play Castlevania Judgement. It's true.

joblin

Smash Apprentice
Harold, shove it.

OC TRANSPO STRIKE IS OVER!
But it will take a few weeks to get back so hopefully it will before the tourney.

I would love to join in although I do know that I will be out in the first round and only get about 2 games in. There's always mingling and friendlies. I would like to join Doubles but alas I will need a partner, anyone brave enough (and I mean suicidal) to just join in for a good time (unless someone is good enough to pull my weight around too, lol). I'm going to try to beat my ToS5 game and win at least one match. :laugh: Seriously, I was against Vwins & partner in the first game with a partner I just hooked up with.

If not, I might just mingle. Singles is a waste of money for I.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Harold, shove it.

OC TRANSPO STRIKE IS OVER!
But it will take a few weeks to get back so hopefully it will before the tourney.

I would love to join in although I do know that I will be out in the first round and only get about 2 games in. There's always mingling and friendlies. I would like to join Doubles but alas I will need a partner, anyone brave enough (and I mean suicidal) to just join in for a good time (unless someone is good enough to pull my weight around too, lol). I'm going to try to beat my ToS5 game and win at least one match. :laugh: Seriously, I was against Vwins & partner in the first game with a partner I just hooked up with.

If not, I might just mingle. Singles is a waste of money for I.
I was that partner you hooked up with! And I thought we had something special. Besides, after Vwins we went up against That guy. I wouldn't mind partnering again if you'd like, unless someone else is already in mind for you.

joblin

Smash Apprentice
I was that partner you hooked up with! And I thought we had something special. Besides, after Vwins we went up against That guy. I wouldn't mind partnering again if you'd like, unless someone else is already in mind for you.
Near our last match we were getting some good plays and starting to work more as a team. If you're crazy enough to partner with moi again we should play some more games on Fridays.

Fogel

Smash Lord
I just noticed the address isn't in the first post (though crafty people can figure it out from the Google Maps URLs). You might want to explicitly put it there for those who don't have the mindgamez to get it themselves :bee:

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
- Any glitch purposefully initiated by a player will result in that players immediate loss, and forfeit of any further matches
Whoa. Fix that nao pl0x. You're saying you'd DQ someone who Down-Bs with Zelda on a transforming Castle Siege?

Legal stages:
Out-of-towners will notice that the Ottawa stage lists are a bit more liberal than most other regions. However, each player gets TWO stage bans rather and just one.

Starter Stages:
Battlefield
Castle Siege
Delphino Plaza
Final Destination
Halberd
Smashville
Yoshi's Island Brawl
Lawl Castle Siege. I'm going to break Delfino, you'll all see.

Hmm... but I doubt I can come to Ottawa and Montreal in one week. I'd have to pick. How should I choose?

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Turn off your time machine and come to both, because our tournament is a month after this one.
I can't shut it down! It'll create a power surge that'll undo the defeat of Nazi Germany!

Which my analysis shows to have been pivotal in the eventual design and release of Chrono Trigger.
And I just couldn't live in that world of madmen.

We're using stage striking, so 99% of the time those two stages are going to get struck down anyways.
... o- kayyy...

then I'll just play Falco on Jungle Japes, lawl?

Oh you mean neutral stage striking. Yeah okay. But it still gives me power over people, since it's two strikes for me to set them up...
I do like the permissive rule set, by the way. Especially Skyworld. Few people go for that one.

joblin

Smash Apprentice
I do like the permissive rule set, by the way. Especially Skyworld. Few people go for that one.
Ya Ottawa is the cool place to be. I don't like the strictness and closed mindness of most other Tourneys, then again there are some weird All-Brawl tournys that don't make sense. wtf are items?!

Top Bottom