• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NYC/LI Power Ranking - New Rankings! Good stuff at Poly guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelpR

Smash Ace
wasnt there a 2000 dollar incentive for first place though?

since, if i recall correctly, first place got 2500, while 2nd got 500 or a 1000, not sure.

edit: I actually dont have anything to do today, so i'd like to play alex, lemmie know when later if you wanna.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I mean yea I can say the sets played there were def legit outsize of like allyvm2k, idk though. i just recall vex saying too bad it wont count for rankings after he heard i beat mike. idk, we havnt discussed it yet
i wouldnt mind it counting lol

the rules werent too bad

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Lucas, considering that 5 of the 7 players in attendance were payed in a split, I have reasonable incentive to believe that no matches except Chibo vs. Cheese, or Fatal vs. M2k should be taken into account.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Fatal vs Ally when Fatal was one of the ones left out of it initially doesn't count?

Chibo vs mikeHAZE when Chibo was specifically left out of it?

Um, dude, that's ********.

Since when did splitting make played-out sets not count? That's never been a rankings policy. If so, over half of my sets with Atomsk didn't matter for rankings between us, as well as a lot of mine with Spam and Diem?

oops, M2K vs ADHD doesn't count, Atomsk is 1st rank in NJ now

EAT IT

edit: and DIP!

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Chibo might have been left out of it, but if Mike knows he's getting money, that means we don't know if he incentive to try.

Fatal lost to Ally, and this was after he was included in the split.

The reason we count tournament sets is because we know people have incentive to try. That's also why we count money matches.

ADHD has more than enough accomplishments, rofl. Typically, it doesn't matter, because if you're in position to split, you've already earned the ranking points you need.

However, I strongly feel that matches with a split should not affect rankings. The players have removed the monetary incentive to try, which has always been the bsis of prove, and the foundation of why MMs count towards rankings.

I'm not on the panel anymore, and don't give two ****s about rankings though, so if you don't care about my opinion, that's fine.

If you're going to let matches with a split count for rankings, then it makes sense for you to allow players to combat each other for rankings, without putting $5 on the line, for consistency and logic's sake.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
ADHD absolutely has no chance to be ranked above Atomsk without that M2K win lol

maybe you should've been paying better attention, since Atomsk has been scoring massive national wins over and over and STILL has Dallas

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Why would I pay attention? I don't care about rankings, and I don't think he does either LOL.

I've said what I have to say. I wouldn't give him mad props for beating M2k after M2k agreed to split with him, lol. I give him props cause he would've beaten M2k regardless, but if I were a panelist, I wouldn't rank him for it.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
Rankings are stupid.

Even if Atomsk gets ranked 1st this season, we'll all know that as long as ADHD keeps practicing this game, he'll be 1st in the state and 2nd or 2rd in the country. Most likely off of a technicality with ADHD being banned and Atomsk suddenly playing well, he'll probably take the 1st rank now. Big whoop though.

Rankings only depict tournament accomplishments for a 3 month span and nothing more. Nairo is gonna be ranked under Inui cuz Inui went to a bajillion tourneys and Nairo went to...3? But he's still the 3rd best player in the state. Nothing is gonna change that at the rate Nairo is improving. Power rankings should be used as a poster in your room if you care enough(I think Nakat Doom Atomsk and Inui are the only people in NJ who care about rankings). Nothing more.

:)

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Rankings are cared about to some degree, even by you two, who are both claiming to not care. Why? You're posting about them.

They are an indication of accomplishments in a season. Usually, skill plays a huge role, and it indeed it still does, but if someone doesn't play enough to get the wins, then oh well.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
LMAO yes. Posting about something = caring about it immensely. I post a video about Cheese. That must mean I care about him deeply and wouldn't want him to get hit by a car or burned in an oven.

Ok Mr. 3rd in NJ. Because you are correct in everything . Never wrong for you are a God.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Rankings are stupid.

Even if Atomsk gets ranked 1st this season, we'll all know that as long as ADHD keeps practicing this game, he'll be 1st in the state and 2nd or 2rd in the country. Most likely off of a technicality with ADHD being banned and Atomsk suddenly playing well, he'll probably take the 1st rank now. Big whoop though.

Rankings only depict tournament accomplishments for a 3 month span and nothing more. Nairo is gonna be ranked under Inui cuz Inui went to a bajillion tourneys and Nairo went to...3? But he's still the 3rd best player in the state. Nothing is gonna change that at the rate Nairo is improving. Power rankings should be used as a poster in your room if you care enough(I think Nakat Doom Atomsk and Inui are the only people in NJ who care about rankings). Nothing more.

:)
Agree completely

Rankings are cared about to some degree, even by you two, who are both claiming to not care. Why? You're posting about them.

They are an indication of accomplishments in a season. Usually, skill plays a huge role, and it indeed it still does, but if someone doesn't play enough to get the wins, then oh well.
Disagree. I'm posting because of an error in logic.

If I cared about the rankings to any significant quantity worth mentioning, I would know what they are, LOL!!!

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Chibo might have been left out of it, but if Mike knows he's getting money, that means we don't know if he incentive to try.
If mike didn't care then he wouldn't have tried to get me DQ'd 1 second into the first game lmao
The four of them despite splitting still had to get the top 2 spots. Not to mention that if Mike had beaten me, his bracket would have been Ally then Fatal, a bracket I'm sure Mike would love. If he had beaten those two he would have been guaranteed top 2.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
LMAO yes. Posting about something = caring about it immensely. I post a video about Cheese. That must mean I care about him deeply and wouldn't want him to get hit by a car or burned in an oven.

Ok Mr. 3rd in NJ. Because you are correct in everything . Never wrong for you are a God.
Stop overreacting. I didn't say you cared immensely, but you cared enough to put your two cents in, meaning you had some care with regards to rankings.

Care to prove that wrong?

Disagree. I'm posting because of an error in logic.

If I cared about the rankings to any significant quantity worth mentioning, I would know what they are, LOL!!!
The "error in logic" that you claim exists...has to do with rankings. And you're taking the effort to post about it. You have some amount of care about the subject, otherwise you wouldn't post.

GGs.

ANTi_

Smash Hero
Post Atomsk's season wins and post ADHD's season wins.

I don't see why ADHD's win over M2K would be nullified.

Playing for thousands...

ANTi_

Smash Hero
I guess if i MM RAZER for $200 and he sandbags it wouldn't count.

ksizl4life

Smash Hero
Anti - I don't think they ever collect their wins because they don't care except Atomsk sometimes does. he might care this season. I was the only panelist to ever collect wins too, everyone else just waits for people to post their list. I doubt Inui Doom or Keitaro know ADHD/Atomsks wins

Inui - Ok Mr. 3rd in NJ. Because you are correct in everything . Never wrong for you are a God and get the appreciation from your friends that you deserve all the time because of you're brilliant logic. All hail.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Inui - Ok Mr. 3rd in NJ. Because you are correct in everything . Never wrong for you are a God and get the appreciation from your friends that you deserve all the time because of you're brilliant logic. All hail.
You definitely just crossed the line with me. Big time.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I have said what I have to say on the topic. I would correct an error in logic regardless of the topic. I'm interested in Smash, and the community, and the things we do. That doesn't mean I automatically have any significant care for the rankings (which I still don't even know, LOL)

However, your tone suggests that you will be stubborn about this issue, and ignore reasoning, and that you are willing to debate a fruitless point, so I'm withdrawing.

@ Chibo. After further speculation, I MIGHT count your set with Mike.

EDIT:

@ Anti: the reason a $200 money match would count is because, there's money on the line. Razer is very unlikely to sandbag if there is $200 on the line, and if he claimed to sandbag I would be like, "LOL, NO JOHNS, THAT'S 200 ***"

Splitting is the exact opposite. It's taking the money that would normally be on the line for the match, and removing it as an element of the match, hence lowering the incentive to try. This is why so many people hate splitting in the first place. I don't care about splitting, and I don't care about rankings, but if I WAS on the panel, I would not give rank points for matches where the money was split, because you're NOT PLAYING FOR MONEY.

Playing for money is the criteria upon how we decide which matches count or not. Tournament play = playing for money. Otherwise, we would just count 123871029837 friendlies towards rankings, and I'd be like fourth in the state or something dumb.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
You and Kelvin are using words like "immense" and "significant" when I never even implied such care from you guys, simply that "not caring at all" is clearly false. That's all.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
You and Kelvin are using words like "immense" and "significant" when I never even implied such care from you guys, simply that "not caring at all" is clearly false. That's all.
I deliberately included the word "significant" because it satisfies the condition of talking about a level of care actually RELEVANT to the discussion at hand, while being able to support my claims with evidence.

KageMurphy

Smash Master
You can't just decide that if someone splits they aren't trying anymore. If they pay it out they still are going for the first place slot, unless its agreed to person in winners takes it, if not, **** WHAT YA HURD!

Oooooh I'm shaking!! :yeahboi:
lmaooo, looks like he's against us!

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
This is why splitting is absolutely awful in competitive sports, look at how sets are being invalidated which are otherwise legit sets because of it. There's no real competition with splitting like this.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
Eh, I don't care so much about rankings now. I just care about being good/important and recognized for it. I realized that my ranking number doesn't really have much bearing on that.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
You can't just decide that if someone splits they aren't trying anymore.
I never intended to imply this. Being a good friend of ADHD who splits all the time, I know he always tries (I tease him a lot about sandbagging, but I know he tries), and he splits often.

My point is that we use money as proof of incentive to try, and we consider only matches with this proof of incentive. Of course I BELIEVE that ADHD was trying to win his match against M2k and M2k says he was trying against ADHD. However, once you remove the money from the line, the proof of incentive is no longer there, so now we're just going on the honor system.

The honor system has never been acceptable for rankings, which is why it's a requirement to be playing for a sum of at least $5. Otherwise, I'd just play mad friendlies for people for rankings, and be like, "BUT I WAS TRYING!"

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
We are still processing applications. There were a lot.

Inui, are you calling me a clown?

Kadaj, I wish you had applied. At least give yourself the chance to judge for yourself. You deserve that much, and I think you'd like it.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
We are still processing applications. There were a lot.

Inui, are you calling me a clown?

Kadaj, I wish you had applied. At least give yourself the chance to judge for yourself. You deserve that much, and I think you'd like it.
nah, you're one of the few people that isn't a joke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom