• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NU to OU: The Next Chapter

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
No, Lucario just has 115 base special attack, it's easier to mess with Lucario than to plug in stats, IVs, and EVs.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
normal/flying is bad

it's the only thing holding staraptor from OU
seriously, if it was fighting/flying (like it should be), he'd instantly be OU and possibly a top 15 (maybe even top 10) poke used

if togekiss wasn't normal/flying, it would be so much better than it already is
the type combo can only switch in on bug (not often seen), grass (outside of HP and grass knot, this is never seen), ghost (basically not on anything that isn't a ghost), and ground (pretty much the only good thing about the typing)

being weak to SR and taking neutral damage at worst from 13 of the 17 types doesn't help make a case for it

also, normal/flying is a horrible STAB combo, steel, rock, and Rotom wall you into oblivion

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Unless you're like, Togekiss who gets Aura Sphere with Nasty Plot to boost it.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
togekiss is still screwed over by her typing, she'd be top 5 if she wasn't normal/flying

seriously, it's such a bad typing

i still suggest changing staraptor to fighting/flying

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Oh my hahahahaha. Well that wouldn't work so well.

Doing some damage calcs, being able to hit the Pokemon it needs to with Extreme Speed, Vacume Wave would be a bit overkill. I do wish we could give it a priority move for its special set, but it doesn't really seem plausible if we wish to stick with aesthetics. At the moment, the mixed set completely outclasses the special with fewer walls, greater type coverage, and access to a strong STAB priority. He'll have to be given Hyper Voice, Air Slash to make up for these features. Hyper Voice gives him a more powerful STAB than what is found on a mixed set, when you consider Adaptability boost that is.

The only way I see to fix this issue is to get rid of Earthquake. This single move grants Dodrio far too much coverage on its mixed set, and even makes it tempting to run a pure physical set, not where I'd like to see Dodrio go. I say we leave Earthquake as a signature to another Normal/Flying. No, I say we give Earthquake to Ferrow. Consider that Earthquake counters a large portion of Fearow's counters. Other than Dodrio, this seems to be the only Normal/Flying pokemon who could aesthetically use Earthquake.

Now onto Farfetch'd. If we can fix Farfetch, we can fix ANY Normal/Flying Pokemon, and I believe we can. Basing him around his signature Leek, you can come up with a pretty fitting Pokemon with a very unique and interesting movepool. By granting him access to select Water and Grass moves, we allow him to circumspect the usual Normal/Flying counter.

Thick Fat/Water Veil
90/105/75/100/80/90

Movepool additions: Power Whip, Water Sport, Aqua Jet, Aqua Tail, Dive, Waterfall, Brave Bird
Now for a bit of explanation for the abilities, both of these are based on the duriable feathers and oils that ducks have on them, to protect them from the elements and to help them float on water. Thick Fat adds to its bulk while Water Veil adds to its sweeping abilities. The movepool should be rather obvious and require no explanation. The new stats are also very helpful to him, providing him with the ability to take use of these non STAB attacks, the only questionable one probably being Waterfall.

Rather than address the problems that come with being a Normal/Flying type, I gave Farfetched a completely unique movepool and typing combination. The Thick Fat ability keeps Sharpedo from ruining Farfetches day with Ice Shard, while also providing him with some added bulk to makeup for his lack of defensive stats.

Now onto Swellow. So far we've crafted attackers with Normal/Flying, but with Swellow I wanted to create more of a bulky attacker with blazing fast speed, and the odd trait of wanting to be statused.
HP 110
Defense: 110
Special Attack: 40
Special Defense: 80
new BST: 540

Switcheroo, Sucker Punch, Knock Off, Faint Attack, Punishment, Night Slash

The basic idea behind this Swellow is the anti-Togekiss. While togekiss is a specially offensive, specially defensive bulky Pokemon with a large movepool of Psychic moves, Swellow is a physically offensive and defensive pokemon with a large movepool of Dark moves. The combo of Switcheroo and Guts is very interesting, the ability to absorb the burn from a flame orb, then pass the orb onto the opponent while steeling their Leftovers is an amazing, and unique asset for Swellow.

I'll post my thoughts on the remaining Normal/Flying pokemon, I'm a little bit tired of typing for now. Normal Flying isn't a bad typing at all, its the Pokemon themselves who suck and need a lot of boosting.

EDIT- After further review, Swellow will be cut and put on hold for this bit.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
normal/flying is a bad typing
you resist only 4 types in total and your offensive coverage is pathetic
rotom, steels, and rock types resist both of your STAB, and rotom in general just ***** EVERY normal/flying type poke in the game because of his typing alone
also, being weak to SR doesn't help anyone in that matter

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Maybe giving more birds Night Slash or Sucker Punch could help.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
it'll help, but not entirely
the typing still has SR to deal with and the fact it practically resists nothing

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
But Pokemon like Togekiss and Staraptor have clearly shown that Normal/Flying has good potential, it just has to find a niche to put it in.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend

mood4food77

Smash Hero
why use staraptor when flygon can do the same thing WHILE not getting ****ed over by SR

why use togekiss when infernape (NP), jirachi (serene grace) and blissey (special walling and wish passing) do it's jobs better and aren't ****ed over by SR

togekiss are staraptor are good pokemon completely ****ed over by their typing
change their typing and they become sooooo much better

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Flygon can 2HKO every wall in OU?

Didn't know that. My bad.

Moozle

Smash Champion
I've been thinking of ways to fix Exeggutor. What do you all think about changing its type to Grass/Dark and giving it compoundeyes and Will-O-Wisp? It may just be an annoying spreader of sleep and burn, but Leaf storm, explosion, sunny day, leech seed, and stun spore set it apart from some others. Maybe its defenses should be boosted?

Compoundeyes might not fit perfectly aesthetically, but it's not too far of a stretch.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Mood4Food, Normal/Flying isn't a bad typing. Its an average typing with as many flaws as positives. Its not a horrible bad typing by any means. A horrible typing would be Water/rock, Bug/Flying, Ice/Flying, Fire/Flying, Fire/Bug. All of these are horrible typing with no potential whatsoever. Flying/Normal on the other hand comes with few advantages and few disadvantages. The things that you claim make it a "horrible" typing can be said about a large number of other viable type combos in the game.

Steel Types will not be a huge problem considering nearly all of the Pokemon I listed above. Fearrow running with Earthquake can hit the majority of them aside from Skarmory and Bronzong hard without losing a wink of sleep. Dodrio will not fear Steel/Rock types either, thanks to its speed, Fire and Ice attacks, hitting Steels in the SpDef where they hate it the most. Farfetch's purpose is a bit irrelvant to the standard counters, and rock types can not counter him thanks to Leaf Blade, Aqua Jet, Waterfall, and other new movepool additions. On top of that, Thick Fat gives Farfetch'd only two weaknesses, and three resistences, while using Mud Sport can rid of another one of his weaknesses. Swellow is also not concerned by pokemon resisting his STABS thanks to his bulk and new stall techniques. Guts Plus Switcheroo Plus base 125 speed allows him to wreck a lot of havoc on an opponents team in a lot of ways. Having only three weaknesses, as well as being able to cripple their opponent with Status aids him in his ability to wall out an opponent. Having a large number of Dark Attacks, and running guts, he doesn't fear Rotom forms either.

Normal/Flying type is just okay. It has no outstanding weaknesses, and no outstanding strengths, but the pokemon themselves are fairly poor and weak, with the exception of Togekiss. All of the above Pokemon I believe are completely viable in OU given these buffs. Sure, you could bring up counters to each, that's not an issue. You WANT pokemon to have counters.

Moving on

Pidgeot, according to Bulbapedia, is based on Ra, the egyption Sun God. Keep that in mind on the following version of Piegeot:

Quick Feet/Air Lock
HP: 88
Attack: 127
Defense: 75
SpA 50
Sp.Def: 50
Speed: 110
Flare Blitz, Flame Wheel, Volt Tackle, Spark, Wish
All of this based on the idea of sun god Ra. Fire and Lighting attacks, Quick Feet to free up his BST, Air Lock to give him so situational but interesting utility, and Wish to make up for his lack of bulk and reliance on self damaging moves. Fire/Lighting has a powerful type coverage. The physical combination itself can only be obtained by Smeargal.

Noctowl
Insomnia/Klutz
HP: 120 Defense: 98, Special Defense: 121
Trick, Wish, Will-O-Wisp, Amnesia, Calm Mind

This is about the only thing we could do for Noctowl, make him a heavily defensive Pokemon with some minor support capabilities. Not much left to hand out I'm afraid. Klutz and Trick do make an interesting combo though, and Insomnia helps to alleviate any Jumpluff problems your team might have. He can rely on Night Shade to do damage, similar to Blissey.

Staraptor:
108 speed
Superpower, Sky Uppercut, Vital Throw
Now that almost all Normal/Flying types have an answer or way to work around Steel and Rock types, Staraptor needs something new, something else to give it a boost. Superpower is the answer here. I've also gave him Vital Throw, a seemingly unimportant attack, until you consider using it against a Skarmory trying to stall out Staraptor. You predict a Roost, use it, and damage them badly.

There you have it, aside from Noctowl, I'm confident that everyone of these Normal/Flying Pokemon are viable, with none of their stats or movepools entering Pesudeo Legendary status.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
SoulSilver
It spreads its beautiful wings wide to frighten its enemies. It can fly at Mach 2 speed.

Mach 2 != base 65

Noctowl sucks, Lilibelle does that already.

Staraptor already *****, he just needs more team support than the average OU Pokémon.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
staraptor has everything it needs
it just gets ***** by SR

making it fighting/flying will make it the best scarf user you could imagine as fighting/flying is a very good STAB combo

also, CC>Superpower

for staraptor to **** in the normal metagame, you MUST have a spinner and have something to remove rotom, which is where lies the problem, you must use 2 different pokes to make 1 usable

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Yes, that's the one problem with Pidgeot. Of course, this would be far from the first time that the Pokedex didn't matchup with the BSTs and/or movepool, and I'm talking about outside of our adjustments and in the Pokemon game's themselves.

There is very little that you can do with Noctowl that hasn't already been done by another Pokemon, so instead I gave him the capability to do several things at an above average level, sort of like the Dragonite of Normal/Flying.

The fact that Staraptor needs additional team support is not a reason not to boost him. There are a lot of Pokemon who work with a bit more team support, sure, you could run nearly any UU Pokemon with a bit more team support, and even some NU Pokemon. Staraptor isn't a Shedninja. Boosting his movepool and Speed slightly is all he needs really, but he in fact does need it.

Mood4Food, I don't know if you were paying attention, but we are buffing THE EVIL GLALIE into an anti-ghost rapid spinner who is Ice/Dark with rapid spin. And no, Staraptor doesn't have everything it needs, otherwise it wouldn't have any issue competing in OU. Just giving him faster speed does a world of good for him.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Sorry, there's been a lot a lot of text to respond to, and my responses and creations have taken an hour at a time hahahaha.
I've been thinking of ways to fix Exeggutor. What do you all think about changing its type to Grass/Dark and giving it compoundeyes and Will-O-Wisp? It may just be an annoying spreader of sleep and burn, but Leaf storm, explosion, sunny day, leech seed, and stun spore set it apart from some others. Maybe its defenses should be boosted?

Compoundeyes might not fit perfectly aesthetically, but it's not too far of a stretch.
If you are going to give it Dark type, it would also be a good idea to make it Physical. Woodhammer already provides it physical STAB. Dark Pulse really isn't anything to brag about, and sadly its the only special dark attack. Wood Hammer does remove its reliance on Solar Beam. Yes, its defenses will have to be buffed, the only question is how should they be buffed? His weaknesses are so odd, I don't know if he should by physically defensive of specially defensive. Specially would probably work better would be my guess at the time, but I would need to crunch numbers.

Ulti has two great ideas, and if we are going to buff Exeggutor in this way, it will be needed, otherwise Sleep will be way to rampent in the metagame. The idea is to buff Tropious and Shiftry, give Tropious Insomnia, and Shiftry Vital Spirit making them both immune to Sleep and to Leech Seed. Tropious would be bulky while Shiftry would be quick and fast. He would be faster than Infernape but weaker.

Shiftry would become:
Chlor/Vital Spirit
110 Speed, 100 SpA
Wood Hammer, EARTH POWER

Tropious would be:
Cholr/Insomnia
118 Atk 73 Def 102 SpA 78 SpD
Agility, Bounce, Wood Hammer

So here we have two Pokemon for all those Jumpluff haters out there, who are also viable outside of this single use. Immune to leech seed and sleep. Counters Breloom/Jumpluff/and other pokemon like that.

Is there any chance we can get this wrapped up by mid day tommorrow? I'd like to have all of the changes we'd like programmed before the first episode of Shark Week.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Nope, I made a typo and he copypasted the typo.

Changed it so only edited stats were in anyways.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Keep Eggy Grass/Psychic. Let it have Insomnia. Make it faster than Tropius, but slower than Shiftry. Like, 75-85 speed. It has mixed good/bad offense with good/bad defenses already, so it already works out in that regard..... But the trick is, let it be the only one that can status right back
[6:02:02 PM] UltiMario: Give it Wisp
[6:02:08 PM] UltiMario: Uhhh
[6:02:16 PM] UltiMario: TWave as well
[6:02:22 PM] UltiMario: Psychic type is good with all that

What do you guys think of this?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Changes have been made

Thick Fat/Water Veil
90/105/75/100/80/90

Movepool additions: Power Whip, Water Sport, Aqua Jet, Aqua Tail, Dive, Waterfall, Brave Bird.
Farfy got a new makeover. Mixed with a bit of bulk with that odd coverage of its.

Pidgeot
Quick Feet/Air Lock
HP: 88
Attack: 127
Defense: 75
SpA 50
Sp.Def: 50
Speed: 110
Flare Blitz, Flame Wheel, Volt Tackle, Spark, Wish
I still think the moves are a bit iffy, Volt Tackle mainly. We might discuss this more later. This is where Farfy's old stats went lol.

We've also dropped Swellow entirely. Simply not enough Niches in OU for it without giving it base 130 Attack or something lol.

@Tery: Compoundeyes might work. We could altogether dump Chlorophyll with base 85 speed, it really isn't as needed anymore, and give it both to fit in two Niches.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Ulti and I took a look at Marowak and Dugtrio, a few adjustments there.

Marowak: Arena Trap/Rock head
Base Speed of 60

Dugtrio:
Base Attack of 115.

Marowak revenge kills slow bulky pokemon. Dugtrio takes out quick frail pokemon.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
We're going in a very long discussion about these. These are IDEAS. We think they're pretty good, but do you guys agree with them?

Moozle

Smash Champion
I think you should give Compoundeyes to Exeggutor. Which is better if both have 100% accuracy; T-wave or Stun Spore?

Would this be a good spread if Exeggutor became physical, faster, and more bulky?
95 / 110 / 85 / 95 / 80 / 85

I also approve of all of the changes to the birds. Volt tackle on Pidgeot might be a stretch, but it really needs to be stretched if it's going to be useful.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I can see the upsides of Exeggutor being Physical, with Wood Hammer, Explosion, Low Kick, and Swords Dance at his side...

He would need WoW to even bring him out of NU though, because Butterfree is already pulling similar shenanigains, even with the whole Stealth Rock argument, she won't be crawling out of NU ever as a 97.5% Statuses (Stun Spore and Sleep Power DO NOT have perfect accuracy with compoundeyes). Sleep Powder to cripple something then WoW to get rid of physical revengers or Stun Spore that all will rarely miss is a plus. Having Wood Hammer and Low Kick/Explosion in the last two slots does good I guess.

Yeah I can see that working. That spread and WoW could give him a niche, and might even open another Niche.

Moozle

Smash Champion
This may be a stupid question, but is the point of those stats + wonder guard just so that Ditto always gets a transformation? If so, then I like it.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Interesting proposition. Ditto becomes a good switch-in to things like Jirachi, who don't have fighting moves and don't carry moves to fend off Pokemon of the same type. On the other hand, common things like non-choiced Starmie, Rotom forms and Dragonite are unassailable by Ditto, whose best role there would be at most a pivot, seeing as they all carry moves SE against their species. With entry hazards, even this might be an issue.

Has Vespiquen been discussed? Give it Magic Guard, Sucker Punch and Curse to alleviate Stealth Rock and take advantage of its passable defences. Not only that, but it gets Attack Order, which is X-Scissor with 90 BP and +1 CH rate, and Roost, which is superior to Rest on a Magic Guard poke and cuts off Electric and Ice weaknesses. It'd still be predictable, but it would take it out of that place where it can't be used.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I like it all but Magic Guard. Honestly, Queen Bees don't fly, they are fat and make babies all day, so instead you could get rid of flying.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Stealth Rock is one of the key factors stopping a defensive bug like Vespiquen from breaking into UU. Its defences are almost on par with Rotom-A. If you want, call the ability Royal Guard, where its minions fly in the face of indirect damage.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
But then it would change Clefable's ability to "royal Guard" lol

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Stealth Rock is one of the key factors stopping a defensive bug like Vespiquen from breaking into UU. Its defences are almost on par with Rotom-A. If you want, call the ability Royal Guard, where its minions fly in the face of indirect damage.
I can totally see little Combees flying at Vespiquen to protect it from being hurt by poison.

Top Bottom