• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NU to OU: The Next Chapter

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i thought raichu was base 110 speed?

i stand corrected, he's base 100
my bad

one other thing, check pikachu if he has coding for the light ball
i know it's a long shot but if pikachu has his own specific coding for the situation under lightball, you could add that coding the raichu

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I looked into things, and I now understand (I think) how Light Ball works. I can edit which two stats it boosts , the ratio, and what Pokemon to give it to, and I can give it to multiple Pokemon, yay for rummaging through items files! So, what are we gunna do with this new info? (Note, I can't give a 1.5 to Raichu and a 2.0 to Pika, they have to get the same stats boosted and by the same amount).

This makes me believe there's some extra delving into abilities we've yet to do... but Slow Start seems.... pointerless...

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Can you make a Volt Ball or something that only Raichu can hold and boosts x1.5?

Moozle

Smash Champion
Also, what happened to the changes that CRASHiC wrote up for Ninetales? They were perfect in my opinion. I think it was basically just give Ninetales superpower and No Guard, but there might have been some stat boosts too.

ss118

Smash Master
I don't see why Raichu needs an item

Pikachu has one because he is the main pokemon. If anything we should edit both raichu and Pikachu at once and keep both of their strengths/ weaknesses in mind over one another, to ensure that one doesn't better the other.

I think that Choice Raichu should be stronger than Light Ball Pikachu, but that Light Ball Pikachu should be stronger than LO Raichu. We could go as far as ripping from the anime about how Pikachu beat Raichu with speed-based attacks: this suggests that Pikachu was faster. We could replicate this into our server. =3

So to recap:

Pikachu- more flexible, faster, and stronger than LOed Raichu.
Raichu- Choiced Raichu should be stronger(or faster) than Light Ball Pikachu, and also have a difference in bulk that would make LO sets usable. Maybe even give it a high base HP value(hey it does have a big belly!) to be used in combination with Substitute.

Edit: Also, if you wanted to make Raichu part-fighting as well as electric. Separates them even farther, giving Raichu huge potential as a LO attacker, while Pikachu goes mainly pure special.

Edit2: Since Ampharos isn't getting it's fighting typing(for good reason), I think Raichu fits the bill. Just look at how Lt. Surge uses him in the anime!

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Art really wants an Electric/Fighting.

I hope he has good luck 5th Gen!

mood4food77

Smash Hero
changing typing and stats are last resorts when going from NU to OU, allowing him to use light ball or some other item would be the best option as it doesn't change anything aesthetically

it's not rampardos who had no hope of becoming OU without some stat change AND a typing change

oh and having a special item has nothing to do with fame, look at farfetch'd and marowak

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
My question about the old NU to OU changes goes unanswered.

ss118

Smash Master
Why should they be last resorts? If anything shouldn't changing the mechanics or adding new items entirely be last resorts?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Ulti is Moozle lol. Ulti I didn't know you liked Gorillaz. I'll edit this post with a link to my old, most conservative thread and we can talk about what we'd like to keep.

If we're separating Raichu and Pikachu, I want to make that fat little rat (raichu) bulky. Elec/Fighting provides many, many interesting resistances, is only weak to Ground and Psychic, and if we give him Thick Fat as an ability and Magnet Rise as a move, he can counter all non Earthquake Sharpedo sets. Oh, and we should leave on Thick Fat by the way, its a decent option against priority users.

So my proposed Raichu:

Electric/Fighting
Thick Fat/Static
HP 100
Atk 90
Def 90
SpA 70
SpD 110
Spe 90

Moves: Bulk Up, Close Combat, Aura Sphere, Cross Chop, Force Palm, Superpower, Slack Off, Sword Dance

This is essentially a Special Swampert who can't hit as hard, lacks an immunity, but has better STAB, more resistances, and higher speed.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=264782
There it is, I don't say anything abuot Ninetails though lol. I know I have some ideas for her though.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Actually, (at least on paper) Raichu then completely outclasses Swampert as a special version because of its bulky, resistances, better STAB, more reliable setup moves through Swords Dance, and auto-recovery through Slack Off.

I'm still all for it. :)

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I tend to overpower pokemon when I balance them, so Sword Dance and Slack Off might be too much, but I'd like to hear other opinions. Does a pokemon with 550 BST really need Slack Off? I'm not sure.

At the very least, I do know that Sword Dance AND Slack Off would be way, way too much.

Moozle

Smash Champion
You really don't remember writing your changes for Ninetales? I can't seem to find it, but I know they're somewhere. I'll keep searching! The only thing I can't remember for sure is whether or not Ninetales' stats were changed. I know superpower + no guard were part of the buffs.

And I approve of those Raichu additions. The typing + thick fat is pretty awesome for a unique special wall. I like it a lot :D

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
So, including Thick Fat, resistances/weaknesses would be...

2x Resist
Bug
Dark
Electric
Fire
Ice
Rock
Steel

Neutral
Dragon
Fighting
Ghost
Grass
Normal
Poison
Water

2x weak
Ground
Psychic

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I'm more of a fan of a 100/95/70/95/80/103 Spread with a BST of 548. Fast, good mixed offense, somewhat bulky, completely unique BST. Raichu feels more offensive than Defensive, like its little brother (mind you that I DO implement NU to OU changes onto their younger forms, giving any changes that fit aesthetically, so completely changing Raichu will involve changes to Pika and Pichu as well). Electric/Fighting is great offensive typing, especially with its decent resistances and good bulk behind it.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I found my Ninetails.

Fire/Normal
(yes, its weak to earthquake and fighting, but its stab is incredibly unique)
Magic Guard (makes perfect aesthetic sense, Ninetales being a magic fox)
Stat changes-
HP- 70
ACK- 90
DEF- 60
SpA- 95
SpD- 60
Spe- 130

Movepool changes:
Destiny Bond, Wish, Reflect, Light Screen, Baton Pass, Healing Wish, Pursuit, Moon Light, Extreme Speed, Taunt, Trick, Thunder Wave, Superpower, Shadow Ball, Shadow Sneak, Transform, Miracle Eye, Future Sight, Skill Swap, Role Play, Psychic, Me First, U-turn, Taunt, Encore

The idea here is obvious, take Nintails's incredibly unique movepool and utile it to make it one of the best statuses spreaders and support pokemon around. The Fire/Noramal type comes with its draw backs, but the increase coverage in stab, as well as gaining an immunity to ghost comes with some advantages. I'm not looking at Ninetails to be the kind of pokemon that can take a hit, so the weakness to earthquake and fighting moves is a little irrelevant to me. My first idea was to make it Fire and Psychic, but with Pursuit running aruond, that seems an ever worse idea. Granting STAB on Extreme Speed will allow it to function as a revenge killer should the situation call for it. The focus here however is on its support and stall. By granting it a 100 percent accuracy on hypnosys, coupled with a speed stat of a blistering 130, Ninetails is looking quite scary. The already obvious counter is of course TTar, but even he has to be weary of switching in against burn, making its choice item useless, or the new addition of Superpower. Where this Ninetails really shines is in its versatility. It can be rather unpredictable to wall, as it now has access to a large pool of special and physical moves, as well as the ability to set up many support options for its team. This grants it a quality that is generally only seen in Ubers, the guessing game of "what set is it using?" or die.

This is the Ninetails I've always dreamed of. It may not be an earth shattering force, but it does have potential.

This is Tery's proposed type set for it. If we use this BST, then I reccomenend Fire/Ghost instead.
80 / 75 / 75 / 90 / 90 / 115

All that I have suggest is based on the legend of the Kitsune.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I supported my own base stat spread for Ninetales since with Fire / Normal it's going to be hit from everything, so I wanted 80 / 75 / 90 defenses instead of 70 / 60.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Parafusion with Extrasensory
Double Status
Duel Screens
Anti-lead
Revenge Killer (will be outclassed in most situations)

and a ton of gimcky sets.

Moozle

Smash Champion
Ooh it's a lot more interesting than I remember. Magic Guard would work awesome with it. I think the stat spread of 80 / 75 / 75 / 90 / 90 / 115 would work better for it.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
i don't really agree with teh ninetails and raichu changes
it's really changing the pokemon, like too much

you're basically creating a new poke, unlike what our other NU to OU changes were

raichu doens't seem part fighting and ninetails doesn't seem part ghost nor part normal

and making raichu bulky seems weird, while the ninetails idea kinda works, it's stat spread is still making it somehting completely different

like i know i sound annoying here but it just doesn't seem to fit our concept of NU to OU as we're trying to change the pokemon wihtout actually changing them

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Altaria. Here's a Pokemon I'd like to mess around with. Its a unique dragon in every way but its typing. Even its base stats are unique for a dragon, coming in at only 490. The question is, do we make it have base 600 stats like the other Dragon/Flying pokemon? Or do we make it mirror its cousin Flygon? That's a serious aesthic and balance question we need to ask.

If we go with Flygon stats, boosting up its HP to 100 and its defense to 105 and a drop in Special Attack down to 60 would be a good place to start considering a stat adjustment. This is for a more defensive take. If we want a pure Cleric, then I suggest Defense to 104, special attack to 50, and speed to 116.

If we go with the Pseudo legendary route, 132 HP, 120 Defense, 50 Special Attack (dropped) 122 Special Defense, and 116 Speed.
Here are some moves that I feel Altaria needs aesthetically and to be viable in OU:
Abilities: Natural Cure, Vital Spirit
Healing Wish
Wish
Light Screen
Reflect
Baton Pass
Sword Dance

The ability Vital spirit is based on the legend of the Peng
Healing Wish and Wish is based on the chinese word Peng
Sword Dance is based on its original Pokemon entry.
The rest are moves based on its purpose.

Here I have tried to create Altaria as a cleric while sticking with its odd aesthic base that the rest of the movepool sticks very close to. With buffed stats, access to Wish and its new ability of Vital Spirit to switch in on Breloom and Jumpluff, I feel we have a new and potent cleric that deserves good usage. I feel like we could do more with the movepool however.

The speed stats are important. They are incredibly important. They allow her to outspeed many of her switch ins so she can begin to support/cleric without fear of taunt, and this also makes her the fastest Dragon/Flying pokemon, making Sword Dance an incredibly usefull addition to her. Two Sword Dances and she'll be tearing through your team in Late game.

Altaria:@ Life Orb
Vital Spirit
Reflect
Dragon Claw
Sword Dance
Heal Bell

Hell yeah Altaria. Seriously, how sexy does that sound?

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I'd opt for giving Altaria the bulk it needs to abuse Natural Cure and Rest. Or even something stupid like Early Bird. 130 / 125 / 122 defenses alongside Dragon Dances can turn Altaria into a dangerous Pokemon. If given enough investment to withstand Ice-type assaults Altaria would take one turn of hits and be able to wake up and strike back.

130 / 77 / 125 / 50 / 122 / 90

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Yeah, it all just depends on what we want Cresselia to do, be a monster wall or a monster cleric. I really recommend Vital Spirit either way though. It would be a nice concead to those who have problems with Jumpluff, it was part of the reason I choice Cresselia. Either before or after the spore, Cresselia can offer ways to deal with Jumpluff, depending on the ability.

On that note, the pokemon in the OP were all Pokemon that we wanted to buff in someway. I think our next batch of Pokemon should be rebuffs to those pokemon who need them, (and this shouldn't count towards are number of new pokemon) and Pokemon chosen with a very specific purpose. I don't mean a situational purpose, but rather that we craft them with the idea of balancing the metagame. This could be to nerf a particular tactic such as making a great Rapid Spin pokemon, or to nerf a specific type of pokemon, similar to waht Sharpedo did to Dragons.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I think you meant Altaria in your first statement?

I'm all for making a great Rapid Spin Pokemon. Just remember, make sure to save some of these concepts for SmashCAP. I have a multitude of ideas but still, just keep that in mind, heheh. :p

Top Bottom