• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Now that generic enemies are on the table, who do you want?

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
I got a funny idea.

Magikarp for Smash! And while we're at it, let's add Worthless Protoplasm as well. They would be top tier for sure and would need major nerfs to stay balanced.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
You know, since I do believe enemies as playable characters should be built upon as a legitimate criterion to be in Smash, could the Goomba, the most iconic enemy in video games ever, actually work as a playable character? Goomba is popular, prominent, relevant, and unique, which are the four main criteria to be playable in Smash.

Before you say "well they made Piranha Plant work", I have my doubts since Goomba doesn't exactly have the same amount of subspecies as Piranha Plant does. I'm not worried about normals since just regular kicks and headbutts can work, but what could Goomba do for specials?

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Can we destroy this table instead?

Yeah I got piranha plant. Yeah I played as him. Yeah he’s a unique fighter and kinda fun. But I still think including it was stupid. And a potted plant got in before Wonder Red. That hurts.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I'd say I want Shy Guy.

Now before you jump to conclusions, I know he's technically a Mario character. But the one I'm thinking of would represent the Yoshi series, as they were enemies in the Yoshi's Island franchise since the first game. Like Piranha Plant, Shy Guy can be an amalgamation of multiple different variations of Shy Guy. I even made a moveset for the Little Guy (Hey, I wonder if that exists...):

Jab: A punch, then a kick, then a headbutt. This doesn’t kill until late, but its damage is decent enough.

F-tilt: Shy Guy takes out a spear and jabs it forwards. This has a sweet spot at the tip that deals more damage.

U-tilt: Shy Guy makes stilts come out of the soles of his shoes, damaging anyone as he goes up.

D-tilt: Shy Guy shoots a slingshot along the ground. This projectile doesn’t deal much damage but can be mashed to attack quickly.

Dash attack: Shy Guy shoves a lantern in front of him, dealing fire damage on hit. This is initially slow but is quick to act out of.

Grab and Pummel: Shy Guy turns into a Ghost Guy and grabs them. Their pummel consists of them poking the opponent with a bident, which is fast but doesn’t deal much damage.

F-throw: Shy Guy rams into the opponent with the bident.

D-throw: Shy Guy smacks the opponent over the head with the bident.

B-throw: Shy Guy phases through the opponent then whacks the opponent in the back of the head with the bident.

U-throw: Shy Guy skewers the opponent with the bident, then throws them upwards.

N-air: Shy Guy goes inside a large green wheel and runs inside it. If he lands on the ground while this is active, Shy Guy will roll along the ground in the direction he is facing until the move ends. This can be mashed to keep it outwards, but its power degrades the longer it's out.

F- & B-air: Shy Guy fires a slingshot either in front of him or behind him, similarly to Villager and Isabelle.

D-air: Shy Guy takes out a pogo stick that bounces off enemies on hit. Though this doesn’t deal much damage, it heals them for just as much.

U-air: Shy Guy takes out a propeller that has a constant hitbox throughout. This can give some upwards momentum, but functions almost nothing like King K. Rool's Propellerpack.

Side Smash: Shy Guy takes out a large bomb and slams it in front of him. While this doesn’t do much damage initially, the bomb can explode for added damage after 3 seconds.

Up Smash: Shy Guy reels downwards before bringing the spear above himself and twirling it repeatedly.

Down Smash: Shy Guy takes out a large ball-n-chain and swings it around himself.

Neutral B: Zeus: Shy Guy will do one of two things based on how long you push the button: tap the button repeatedly, and he’ll release a barrage of punches and kicks. Hold the button and you’ll fire a Hadouken-like projectile that deals electrical damage.

Side B: Snifit: Shy Guy puts on a Snifit mask and fires small black balls similarly to the Super Scope. This lasts for only 4 seconds.

Up B: Rocket: Shy Guy hops into a rocket and takes off in a certain direction. Though slow initially, it covers lots of distance upwards. It deals damage to opponents as it rises, but has an initial sweet spot that meteor smashes.

Down B: Gourmet Feast: Shy Guy will devour a bunch of food until he turns into a Fat Guy for 15 seconds. He will heal himself for each piece of food eaten. As a Fat Guy, he has a sort of Impact Run-esque effect, and his weight value has increased, but this comes at a risk: the more damage he takes, the shorter this form will last. He also gains an increased hurtbox and his mobility takes a blow. If he tries to eat as a Fat Guy, the move will fail, and this move is on a 8 second cooldown.

Final Smash: Shy Squad Ambush: Shy Guy will summon a Toy Tank, which will charge towards anyone caught will be subjected to a cutscene: an army of Shy Guys will swarm the opponent(s) and deal damage to them before the light bulb on top of the Toy Tank starts to glow. The light bulb will then release a giant lightning bolt that finishes the opponent(s) off.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'd say I want Shy Guy.

Now before you jump to conclusions, I know he's technically a Mario character. But the one I'm thinking of would represent the Yoshi series, as they were enemies in the Yoshi's Island franchise since the first game. Like Piranha Plant, Shy Guy can be an amalgamation of multiple different variations of Shy Guy. I even made a moveset for the Little Guy (Hey, I wonder if that exists...):

Jab: A punch, then a kick, then a headbutt. This doesn’t kill until late, but its damage is decent enough.

F-tilt: Shy Guy takes out a spear and jabs it forwards. This has a sweet spot at the tip that deals more damage.

U-tilt: Shy Guy makes stilts come out of the soles of his shoes, damaging anyone as he goes up.

D-tilt: Shy Guy shoots a slingshot along the ground. This projectile doesn’t deal much damage but can be mashed to attack quickly.

Dash attack: Shy Guy shoves a lantern in front of him, dealing fire damage on hit. This is initially slow but is quick to act out of.

Grab and Pummel: Shy Guy turns into a Ghost Guy and grabs them. Their pummel consists of them poking the opponent with a bident, which is fast but doesn’t deal much damage.

F-throw: Shy Guy rams into the opponent with the bident.

D-throw: Shy Guy smacks the opponent over the head with the bident.

B-throw: Shy Guy phases through the opponent then whacks the opponent in the back of the head with the bident.

U-throw: Shy Guy skewers the opponent with the bident, then throws them upwards.

N-air: Shy Guy goes inside a large green wheel and runs inside it. If he lands on the ground while this is active, Shy Guy will roll along the ground in the direction he is facing until the move ends. This can be mashed to keep it outwards, but its power degrades the longer it's out.

F- & B-air: Shy Guy fires a slingshot either in front of him or behind him, similarly to Villager and Isabelle.

D-air: Shy Guy takes out a pogo stick that bounces off enemies on hit. Though this doesn’t deal much damage, it heals them for just as much.

U-air: Shy Guy takes out a propeller that has a constant hitbox throughout. This can give some upwards momentum, but functions almost nothing like King K. Rool's Propellerpack.

Side Smash: Shy Guy takes out a large bomb and slams it in front of him. While this doesn’t do much damage initially, the bomb can explode for added damage after 3 seconds.

Up Smash: Shy Guy reels downwards before bringing the spear above himself and twirling it repeatedly.

Down Smash: Shy Guy takes out a large ball-n-chain and swings it around himself.

Neutral B: Zeus: Shy Guy will do one of two things based on how long you push the button: tap the button repeatedly, and he’ll release a barrage of punches and kicks. Hold the button and you’ll fire a Hadouken-like projectile that deals electrical damage.

Side B: Snifit: Shy Guy puts on a Snifit mask and fires small black balls similarly to the Super Scope. This lasts for only 4 seconds.

Up B: Rocket: Shy Guy hops into a rocket and takes off in a certain direction. Though slow initially, it covers lots of distance upwards. It deals damage to opponents as it rises, but has an initial sweet spot that meteor smashes.

Down B: Gourmet Feast: Shy Guy will devour a bunch of food until he turns into a Fat Guy for 15 seconds. He will heal himself for each piece of food eaten. As a Fat Guy, he has a sort of Impact Run-esque effect, and his weight value has increased, but this comes at a risk: the more damage he takes, the shorter this form will last. He also gains an increased hurtbox and his mobility takes a blow. If he tries to eat as a Fat Guy, the move will fail, and this move is on a 8 second cooldown.

Final Smash: Shy Squad Ambush: Shy Guy will summon a Toy Tank, which will charge towards anyone caught will be subjected to a cutscene: an army of Shy Guys will swarm the opponent(s) and deal damage to them before the light bulb on top of the Toy Tank starts to glow. The light bulb will then release a giant lightning bolt that finishes the opponent(s) off.
Yoshi definitely needs to have some company, and your Shy Guy can certainly fit the bill.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
You know, since I do believe enemies as playable characters should be built upon as a legitimate criterion to be in Smash, could the Goomba, the most iconic enemy in video games ever, actually work as a playable character? Goomba is popular, prominent, relevant, and unique, which are the four main criteria to be playable in Smash.

Before you say "well they made Piranha Plant work", I have my doubts since Goomba doesn't exactly have the same amount of subspecies as Piranha Plant does. I'm not worried about normals since just regular kicks and headbutts can work, but what could Goomba do for specials?
B: Pile Driver Micro Goomba (Super Mario Bros. 3) - Goomba encases himself in a Brick Block. He charges and jumps high. He smashes other players when jumping and landing on them.

Side B: Tanoomba (Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga) - Goomba transforms into Tanoomba and swings his tail. It works like Mario’s cape move.

Up B: Paragoomba (Super Mario Bros. 3) - Goomba grows wings and flies up. He also drops Micro Goombas below and they disable other players’ ability to double jump.

Down B: Shoe Goomba (Super Mario Bros. 3) - Goomba gets inside the green shoe and starts hopping around. He cannot do normal moves while inside the shoe. He can only hop around. He automatically stomps (meteor smashes) on other players when he lands on top of them. He can get out of the shoe when you press Down B again. It’s like a transformation move.

Final Smash: Goomba King (Paper Mario) - Goomba summons Goomba King. Goomba King stomps and makes debris fall from above. Goomba King also kicks other players.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Mario: Kamek, Shy Guy, Hammer Bro.

Zelda: Iron Knuckle, Stalfos, Gerudo.

DK: Kritter.

Kirby: Knuckle Joe, Bonkers.

Last edited:

Scottfrankd

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScottFrankD
If we're having generic enemies for Smash, I think that Pikmin deserves a rep - what other characters are there in this series that wouldn't be palette swaps or echoes of Olimar? That being said, I can't think of a good moveset for a Bulborb myself, but I'm sure Sakurai could do it

Quillion

Smash Hero
B: Pile Driver Micro Goomba (Super Mario Bros. 3) - Goomba encases himself in a Brick Block. He charges and jumps high. He smashes other players when jumping and landing on them.

Side B: Tanoomba (Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga) - Goomba transforms into Tanoomba and swings his tail. It works like Mario’s cape move.

Up B: Paragoomba (Super Mario Bros. 3) - Goomba grows wings and flies up. He also drops Micro Goombas below and they disable other players’ ability to double jump.

Down B: Shoe Goomba (Super Mario Bros. 3) - Goomba gets inside the green shoe and starts hopping around. He cannot do normal moves while inside the shoe. He can only hop around. He automatically stomps (meteor smashes) on other players when he lands on top of them. He can get out of the shoe when you press Down B again. It’s like a transformation move.

Final Smash: Goomba King (Paper Mario) - Goomba summons Goomba King. Goomba King stomps and makes debris fall from above. Goomba King also kicks other players.
Nice. Sounds like he has great recovery with all those options.

I'm surprised there's so much support for Darknut, though. Isn't a Blin more appropriate since they are more recurrent?

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So after searching around, how about Mettaur from Mega Man? There are so many different models of Mettaur for a moveset, and they're a staple of the Mega Man franchise ever since the first game.

Quillion

Smash Hero
So after searching around, how about Mettaur from Mega Man? There are so many different models of Mettaur for a moveset, and they're a staple of the Mega Man franchise ever since the first game.
I'd personally restrict enemies to first party for now. Third party should focus purely on main characters.

How about Sniper Joe?
Why them and not Proto Man himself? Joes are actually Proto Man knockoffs in canon.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Ohh, I didn't know that. Welp then no. Proto man should be in as a Mega Man semi-clone, using weapon s from Mega Mans 3-10.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Well, in that case, how about Eggplant Wizard? That guy is practically one of the most popular Kid Icarus enemies in the franchise (I mean, c'mon, in what fighting game does someone turn you into a friggin' eggplant?!), and is a mook himself, believe it or not.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, in that case, how about Eggplant Wizard? That guy is practically one of the most popular Kid Icarus enemies in the franchise (I mean, c'mon, in what fighting game does someone turn you into a friggin' eggplant?!), and is a mook himself, believe it or not.
Oh yes! Eggplant Wizard would be amazing! Oh, and throw in King Hippo as the 2nd Punch-Out!! rep while we are at it! :ultpit::ultmegaman::ultsimon:

UserKev

Smash Champion
The Shy Guys would be interesting. Give it a Snifit mask variation for Natural B, chain mace and the tank weapon it rides in Super Mario Bro. 2.

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
Eggplant Wizard before Medusa? No, no thank you sir.

Wario Wario Wario

Smash Legend
Spiteful Crow. so much sass that no other Smash fighter can truly replicate. imagine if Dedede's every animation was as sassy as his crouch, that'd be what I imagine for Spiteful Crow.

Last edited:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
Generic Enemies Huh? I'll add pictures later since they're not showing up.

Zelda
I know Octorok or Moblins would be more deserving but I so play a Like Like.

I could imagine one of its special could be eat the opponent and disable their standard B move for a time. Its like a reverse Kirby

Kid Icarus: I mean we have to go with Eggplant Wizard

I mean the ability to turn your upper body into an eggplant would be devastating. Also with Pit, Simon, and Megaman we are one step closer to having the whole Captain N cast. Also eggplant emoji.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Kid Icarus: I mean we have to go with Eggplant Wizard

I mean the ability to turn your upper body into an eggplant would be devastating. Also with Pit, Simon, and Megaman we are one step closer to having the whole Captain N cast. Also eggplant emoji.
I would love to see Eggplant Wizard as playable, even more than Hades or Medusa.

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
I honestly don't think Plant puts generic enemies on the table, by virtue of him being the generic enemy that we got. It seems like a one-off gag, and not something that Sakurai would pull again. Remember when Wii Fit Trainer was announced, and everyone thought that opened the door for the weirdest stuff possible, only to never have anyone as weird as her get announced again? I think it's the same deal here.

On top of that, I don't particularly want any more generic enemies to be playable unless they're as iconic, like Slime from Dragon Quest or something (not that I play Dragon Quest). But even then, that would be pretty lame.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I honestly don't think Plant puts generic enemies on the table, by virtue of him being the generic enemy that we got. It seems like a one-off gag, and not something that Sakurai would pull again. Remember when Wii Fit Trainer was announced, and everyone thought that opened the door for the weirdest stuff possible, only to never have anyone as weird as her get announced again? I think it's the same deal here.

On top of that, I don't particularly want any more generic enemies to be playable unless they're as iconic, like Slime from Dragon Quest or something (not that I play Dragon Quest). But even then, that would be pretty lame.
weirdness is subjective i imagine some would say that pp is as weird as wft or some would say that rob and g&w are the weirdest

Vrbtm

Banned via Administration
weirdness is subjective i imagine some would say that pp is as weird as wft or some would say that rob and g&w are the weirdest
R.O.B. and G&W represent important eras of Nintendo's history, so I don't understand how you could consider them to be weird unless you're simply too young or never cared about the historical aspects of Smash's roster.

Wii Fit Trainer simply doesn't have that angle. She's not even particularly iconic, like Piranha Plant is.

Last edited:
R.O.B. and G&W represent important eras of Nintendo's history, so I don't understand how you could consider them to be weird unless you're simply too young or never cared about the historical aspects of Smash's roster.

Wii Fit Trainer simply doesn't have that angle. She's not even particularly iconic, like Piranha Plant is.
She represents the Wii in a way that couldn't be matched except for miis, which have been on every Nintendo system since. So in a way, she is historic. Just not old historic.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord

You say that but the Wii Fit sold a lot for quite some time.

Wii Fit 3rd Overall Sales
https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/NPD_2008_sales_figures

Wii Fit 4th Overall
Wii Fit Plus 5th Overall
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/NPD-Best-Selling-Games-2009,news-5729.html

WiiFit Plus 6th Overall (2nd in Nintendo 1st Party)
https://www.ign.com/articles/2011/01/14/the-best-selling-games-of-2010

I'll add more but I don't have time at the moment.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

like i said weirdness is subjective (also i never said i consider them weird) wii fit trainer is a result of the sheer success of the wii fit games their inclusion is a result of that

Top Bottom