• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nova Scotia Thread

AshtonDragon

Smash Cadet
Hey guys. I'd like to find a group of Smash Bros players in Halifax. I'm actually from Newfoundland, but will be in Halifax (on work term) for four months, and would like to have a good group to play with while I'm here (especially once Brawl comes out).

If it helps, I'm definitely one of the best players in Newfoundland (I've won six tournaments). I can more or less play every character, but my "mains" include Captain Falcon, Marth, Fox, Jigglypuff, Luigi, the ICs, and DK.

Pey

Smash Apprentice
There is a tournamenet on the 26th? Where is this being held? You'd think they'd make an announcement on the thread...

Kresstoff

Smash Rookie
i think there's a few further up, check it out on facebook, they have all the info on it.

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
kresstoff where you from? i might have some people over tonight for some games (thusday jan 10)

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
pm via facebook if you're interested and i'll pm you back the address. i have at least one friend coming over around 5ish. i'm near the shopping center.

Maverick

Smash Rookie
Me and Nizbel will be going to the tournament on the 26th, so whoever is in charge, either pm me or contact me by email.

Pey

Smash Apprentice
yeah someone needs to post the info, but does anybody know if there are teams.

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
Ok, really long post here. Most of it is info for the tournament.

Here is all the info for the tournament:

---------------------------------
"TOURNAMENT!! LAST SMASH BEFORE BRAWL!!

1v1 Double-Elimination!

SATURDAY, JANUARY 26th 2008 (date confirmed)

Rules will be posted shortly. The spot in question is where Dooley's used to be on Barrington Street.
1657 Barrington st, suite 125. The Roy building (lol)
Book the time off, it's gonna happen! We're gonna try to keep the entry fee to 10 bucks as well.

FEEL FREE TO START REGISTERING! Send a Message to either Malcolm or myself! or post on the wall!

Entrants
total 20

LAMB - nick
0715 - tyler (halifax)
MAL - malcolm (halifax)
WOLF - paul (halifax)
JMW - Justin (halifax)
Neil Isenor
Brendan Ruddy
Jeremy Elliot
Sirius - Chris D'Entremont
DarthRobb - Robb Fair
RYAN - Ryan Chandler
Josh Coleman
Sean Carter
Aaron Larter
Steven Crosby
Wyatt
Will Hopkins
Nick Crocker
Mav
Niz

PS WE NEED:

Minimum 6 TVs
6 Cubes, of course!
Optionally, VCRs if you got 'em and extension cords
Got a couple lawn chairs? Bring them too.
BLANK TAPES

And obviously, BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER!!

Can you help?! Message us if you can!

if we could get this thing recorded it would be pretty gnarly, please post on the wall with whatever you can bring and i will make a little checklist on the news.

CHECKLIST:

Justin - TV, Cube, Game.
Jeremy - TV, Cube, Game, VCR.
Tyler - TV?, Cube, Game, VCR.
Paul - TV, Cube, Game.
Aaron - Cube, VCR
Steven - Cube"

These are the rules posted by Justin on facebook:

"Justin MacPherson Wiles wrote
on Dec 31, 2007 at 3:06 PM.

"Yes, I did just copy and paste this from the old HellaSmashed post, so look them over once more, and let's talk about it.

FIRST NEW RULE: WHEN THE MATCHES ARE OVER, BOTH PLAYERS WILL SEE A REF/JUDGE RIGHT AWAY AND REPORT THE SCORE OF THE MATCH. NO FRIENDLY MATCHES WILL BE PLAYED ON TOURNAMENT TVs, ONLY ON FRIENDLY DESIGNATED TVs.

And now...

1 VS 1 TOURNAMENT RULES

*$10 entry fee

*Prize Money depends on number of particapants:
*1st Place: 60% of Prize.
*2nd Place: 25% of Prize.
*3rd Place: 15% of Prize.

* Best 2 out of 3 matches.
* Best 3 out of 5 in Semi-Finals.
* Best 4 out of 7 in Final.
* 4 Stock.
* 8 Minutes.

* In the case that time runs out and both characters have an equal amount of lives, the character with less damage wins the match. If both character have equal lives and damage, Sudden Death will determine the winner.

* Items are turned OFF.

* During the first match in a set of 3 (or 5 or 7, if it's in the Semi-finals or Finals), characters are chosen DOUBLE-BLIND, so that neither players knows his opponent's character beforehand. In practice, this doesn't always happen, but tournament players have the right to force a double-blind pick. IF YOU WANT A DOUBLE-BLIND PICK FOR YOUR MATCH, THIS IS HOW IT WILL HAPPEN: Both players will inform the judge/ref (that's me, or someone else whom I deem responsible) who their character is going to be before beginning the match (on a piece of paper, likely). That way, you won't be able to pick a counter-character in the first round without me knowing.

* The first match is played with a RANDOM NEUTRAL Stage, unless both players can agree on a stage.
* The loser of the previous round will choose the stage for the next round.
* The winner may strike any ONE stage from the Loser's available choices, if he or she so desires. After loser picks his/her stage, the winner picks his/her character, and then the loser picks his/her character.

* Banned stages are BANNED. They are not randomly selectable, or selectable by the loser at any time.

* The loser can also not choose any stage that has already been played earlier that round. That goes for the random neutral in Round 1, as well as whatever stage was picked in round 2.

* Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the game or makes it unable to be finished are banned and will result in the immediate forfeit of the entire match.

* Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. If by using one of these tactics, you have put your character in a place to lose a stock by ending the tactic, a judge/ref may force you to stop and lose a life and continue the match short a stock.

STAGE SELECT:

FIRST ROUND NEUTRAL STAGES
* Yoshi's Story
* Fountain of Dreams
* Pokémon Stadium
* Battlefield
* Dream Land (N64)
* Final Destination

SECOND ROUND AND ONWARD SELECTABLE STAGES
* Princess Peach's Castle
* Kongo Jungle
* Brinstar
* Corneria
* Mute City
* Onett
* Mushroom Kingdom
* Kongo Jungle (N64)
* Rainbow Cruise
* Jungle Japes
* Yoshi's Island
* Green Greens
* Venom
* Poké Floats
* Big Blue
* Mushroom Kingdom II

BANNED STAGES
* Icicle Mountain
* Hyrule Temple
* Brinstar Depths
* Fourside
* Flat Zone
* Great Bay
* Yoshi's Island (N64)

Kresstoff, I was Lamb at FFC(thanks), and I'll be at the tournament.

This one will be better than Hellasmashed and FFC.

Pey, no, I don't think there are any teams. But we can play 2vs2 friendlies.

Sweet, an out of state player. I think Nova Scotia is about to get beat.
MajinLink, are you one of the top players in Texas?

AshtonDragon

Smash Cadet
I'd really like to get some practice in before the tournament (in fear of being out of practice). I guess I should just get there a bit early and try to get in on some friendlies?

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
Texas smash, bring it haha I'm working on a plan to go to this tourney.

IF ANYBODY EAST OF HALIFAX NEEDS A DRIVE LET ME KNOW ASAP, CAR CAPACITY IS 2/5 SO FAR
im driving to halifax all the way from Cape Breton

Vic is coming along too

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
didnt you guys get a drive with me one time? anyways, if i actualy do go, i can pick you up. you'd have to chip in on gas tho, not much. PM me some contact info

Do-Ryu

Smash Rookie
I'd love to go to this tourney, but i can't, i've got exams all that week unfortunatly. It would of been nice to try and see if I'm any close in skill level to you guys. But it would be nice if i could get to the next one if there is a next one.:confused:

lilindian

Smash Rookie
I just found this site like 20 minutes ago and I know me and ma buddy would be more then willing to play in a tourny of sorts. We're better then most people around here. (but i'm not sure what that accounts to for the rest of the people in the world) but im pretty sure we could hold our own in a tournament, (if not i think it would be awsome to try) so are there any tournaments anytime soon, we're from antigonish like 2.5 hours from halifax and 45 minutes away from Port Hawkesbury.

Hey Do-Ryu, I'm from Antigonish if you wanted to play sometime. I go to StFX and I have a pretty flexible schedule so making time to play would not be much of a problem. Plus this town is tiny so finding each other wouldnt be that hard.

Do-Ryu

Smash Rookie
Yeah man that'd be great but i can't for a little while because i've got exams for the next 2 weeks so I'm gonna be pretty busy but other then that I'd be good for that but I'm not entirely sure if I'll be as good as you guys. I know that I'm one of the best out of all of my friends and I can beat just about anyone who I play but it might not be matchable to anyone else in the world. But whenever i get a wekend me and my other friend would be glad to see how we match up against you.

Pey

Smash Apprentice
WHAT TIME ARE PPL SHOWING UP

and does anyone have an extra controller. plz i need one can someone, some great soul lend me one for this glorious day?

AshtonDragon

Smash Cadet
I was planning to show up around 11, though I don't expect most people to show up until 12:30.

I think I only have the one reliable controller. I wouldn't be able to guarantee the quality of my second controller, so it's really not worth taking to a tournament.

chesterr01

BRoomer
BRoomer
yo sup guys, copypasta down your throat, all the info in the announcements on home page:

some BAD DUDE hackzords through smashboards and got a list of e-mails and stuff. the power admin would like you to consider changing your passwords. actually you should. read below.

Superman said:
One, the individual in question sent out an email blast to a number of users that contained a message advertising his site. He also obtained a list of members' email addresses, but claims that he will delete it. We also have reason to believe that this individual may have obtained some potentially sensitive information from our database. I recommend that any users who may have supplied some sensitive information via threads, posts, or PMs (such as usernames or passwords) change that information as soon as possible--while it's not necessarily likely that that information has been stolen, we cannot be absolutely sure about what information was taken.

In addition, I would like to suggest that all users change their account passwords. A good password will contain a mixture of letters (capital and lowercase), numbers, and symbols, and be at least 8 characters long. I also recommend you choose a password unique to this site so as to not endanger any other accounts you may have with the same password elsewhere. To be clear, we have no reason to believe that any of your account passwords have been compromised--even if they were indeed taken, they are stored only in an encrypted form that is not readily decrypted by modern technology.

Lastly, I'd like to note that the Revolution style will temporarily be the only style that will be available. We expect to re-enable the other styles shortly.
also, I've been wondering for a while now, since I'm gonna reopen the ECPR thread soon: the name East Canada PR should be including you guys (duh) but we haven't established any link between n-s and ont/qc. I should change the name of the PR, you think? But seriously, have you guys considered making a big tournament, or something, or perhaps coming up to our place? I mean, I barely know you guys. x_x well, I took the time to post and say hi.

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
I've been trying to get my parents to go up there, but I don't think it's going to happen very soon. Maybe in the summer we'll get lucky.

Hows about I add some of you guys when brawl comes out.?

Is there any big tournaments coming up soon? or this summer perhaps?

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
So i've heard Brawl sucks. Can anyone confirm?
There are mixed feelings about it so far.

It sucks that they took out almost all the combos except for a 0-death one the Ice CLimbers still have. Most combos you see now are just 2-3 hitters, nothing long, so the game is now based a lot more on thinking instead of teching.

There are a lot of downsides that people are finding out, I could list them, but it's easier to tell you what's improved.

Everyone is now quite a bit more even, there's nobody that can **** everyone else. Instead, there's new stratagies that **** everyone else.
The main one is camping. There seems to be a whole lot more defensive options than there are offensive ones. People are trying to find good aproaches now.

Marth still playes almost the same, in fact, he's the only character that does, and a lot of people like him because of that- me included.

The one thing everyone agrees on is that it's very fun.

Pey

Smash Apprentice
nice write up, 3 hit combos what a ****in jip. oh well, if you feel like getting embarassed in melee again, you know where to find me!

coach

Smash Apprentice
Gonna be up in nova scotia for the month of june. I'll be in halifax close to quinpool road and maybe looking to get my melee on. Hopefully, people will still want to play melee. I guess I'll post later to set stuff up.

Pey

Smash Apprentice
that's what i thought. nobody challenges me cause they're scared as ****.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Hey, whats up guys. I'm Zhao, kinda new here. I'm also a fellow Nova Scotian. Gotta keep representin', eh?
Are there ANYT tournaments in NS?

Top Bottom