• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nova Scotia Thread

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
Ok, this is just copy and pasted from facebook:

"Tourney Name: to be decided (does Halismash II sound okay?)
Date: Saturday June 7th
Time: Registration-12:30pm, Starts-1pm, Ends-6pm-7pm
Where: 1657 Barrington st, suite 125. (the roy building)

---------------------------------------
1 VS 1 TOURNAMENT RULES

*$10 Entry Fee for each particapant
*Prize Money depends on number of particapants.
*1st Place: 70% of Prize.
*2nd Place: 20% of Prize.
*3rd Place: 10% of Prize.

* Best 2 out of 3 matches.
* Best 3 out of 5 in Semi-Finals.
* Best 4 out of 7 in Final.

* 3 stock
* 7min timer

* In the case that time runs out and both characters have an equal amount of lives, the character with less damage wins the match. If both character have equal lives and damage, Sudden Death will determine the winner.

* Items are turned OFF.

* During the first match in a set of 3 (or 5 or 7, if it's in the Semi-finals or Finals), characters are chosen DOUBLE-BLIND, so that neither players knows his opponent's character beforehand. In practice, this doesn't always happen, but tournament players have the right to force a double-blind pick. IF YOU WANT A DOUBLE-BLIND PICK FOR YOUR MATCH, THIS IS HOW IT WILL HAPPEN: Both players will inform the judge/ref (that's me, or someone else whom I deem responsible) who their character is going to be before beginning the match (on a piece of paper, likely). That way, you won't be able to pick a counter-character in the first round without me knowing.

* The first match is played with a RANDOM NEUTRAL Stage, unless both players can agree on a stage.
* The loser of the previous round will choose the stage for the next round.
* The winner may strike any ONE stage from the Loser's available choices, if he or she so desires. After loser picks his/her stage, the winner picks his/her character, and then the loser picks his/her character.

* Banned stages are BANNED. They are not randomly selectable, or selectable by the loser at any time (unless both players agree to it).

* The loser can also not choose any stage that has already been played earlier that round. That goes for the random neutral in Round 1, as well as whatever stage was picked in round 2.

* Using tactics to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned. If by using one of these tactics, you have put your character in a place to lose a stock by ending the tactic, a judge/ref may force you to stop and lose a life and continue the match short a stock.

*Infinites such as falco's laser locking, the ness/lucas chain, the ice climber's chain, and Dedede's chain are banned. we can only tolerate 3 hits maximum from these tactics before disqualifing you of a stock. for more information on what we mean please join in our discussion on rules in the appropriate thread.
----------------------------------------------
STAGE SELECT:

FIRST ROUND NEUTRAL STAGES
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Pokemon Stadium 1

SECOND ROUND AND ONWARD SELECTABLE STAGES
Lylate Cruise
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Bridge of Eldin
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Distant Planet
Halberd
Hanenbow
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Mario Circuit
Norfair
Onett
Pirate Ship
Pokemon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Corneria
Green Greens
Green Hill Zone
PictoChat
Shadow Moses Island
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Skyworld

BANNED STAGES
Port Town Aero Dive
Mushroomy Kingdom
Rumble Falls
Spear Pillar
Summit
75m
Big Blue
Flat Zone 2
Hyrule Temple
Mario Bros.
New Pork City
WarioWare inc.
--------------------------------------------

*BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER (gamecube reccomended to avoid wiimote syncing issues)

EQUIPMENT CHECKLIST
TVs - we need 4 at least. we have one from the last tournament down at the venue currently and brian can bring one.
Wii's/brawl - one for each tv obviously. i can bring a wii/smash
TV Stands - brian said he should have some folding tables
seating - a red couch that holds 3, a large leather love seat that holds 3, and a large leather couch that holds 4. there are also a few folding chairs.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help out if you can. send a message to malcolm or justin with details on what you can bring.

-----------------------------------------------------"

Pey

Smash Apprentice
thanks for keepin the thread alive Nick, it's been rough out here. here are some vids i uploaded recently. http://www.youtube.com/user/er124656 whoever has the vids from the last Melee tournament should upload them asap, doesn't anyone else want to see the new found lander in action?

Adapt

Smash Lord
Hey guys

How often do tourneys get hosted in Hali? I'm just starting to get into that side of things. Unfortunately I'm away for the summer. I'll be back in mid-august though

Naga

Smash Rookie
Thought it'd be appropriate for me to make an appearance here. Name's Danny, and I'm a Link main from Halifax. I live in the Brookside area, and I've got an extended family of Brawlers and an unofficial crew. Nice to meet you all ^^

Tomaz

Smash Rookie
Anything interesting going on in Nova Scotia over the next few weeks? (tournaments?)

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
****, where were you guys? Heheh, not gonna blame anyone, but I had no idea this topic was still alive.

While HellaSmashed II has been canceled, maybe you guys would be interested in a September/October Brawl? Talk to us!

Adapt

Smash Lord
****it...
I wanted to play against some new ppl...

I'm always up for a tourney as long as I don't have school work to do

I just joined the facebook group btw

Syko_Lemming

Smash Ace
You can still play at the smash get together. Info in the halifax smash bros group.

Naga, wow, you have more people who play? We didn't know there were others still interested in playing. Join the Super Smash Bros. Halifax group on facebook. I might play smash online tonight if others are playing.

Pey

Smash Apprentice
sorry to complain but, you guys suck for not uploading the melee videos....

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
i'm pretty sure paul hass the videos. if anyone has the proper equipment to upload i'm sure he can arrange to give you the tapes.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Hey, I found this thread again ^_^

I can't play offline too much, but if you guys play online, hit me up. There wouldn't be much lag.

I played a guy in Dartmouth the other day online. Blue connection ftw =D

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
TOURNAMENT ANOUNCEMENT!

DATE: Sunday, November 16th
TIME: Registration - Noon / First Round - 1pm
Place: The Roy Building 1657 Barrington, Suite 125
--To register early please post on the wall or send a message to malcolm, tyler or justin

Currently Registered:
---------------------------------------
1: Justin Wiles - Wiles - Halifax
2: Malcolm Ballie - MAL - Halifax
3: Nick Blake - JTF - Dartmouth
4: Tyler Smart - Selah - Halifax
5: Steven Crosby - SVEN - Bayers Road
6. Kyle Warren - K - Halifax
7: Kailin Michael Alain Glasgow - KMAG - Dartmouth
8: Nick Best - Lamb - Ardoise
9: Nathan - Necro - darthmouth
10: Ben - Chaos
11: Mitch - Mitch
12: Charley LeBlanc - Caster2 - Lower Sackville
13: Sam LeBlanc - Doom - Lower Sackville
14: Ahmed Al-Salman - SAL!? - Halifax
15: Milad James Awkar - Chaos_f15
16: Matt Settle - Sheep - Sackville
17: Jesse Robertson - Jesse - Windsor

Rules:

* 3 Stock

* 8 minute timer

* Items are set to "off" and "none"

* All sets with the possible exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 for any "finals" matches)

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.

* If a sudden death is resulted for any other reason other than the timer running out and bowser's suicide klaw, the game will be restarted on the same level with the same characters at 1 stock.

* Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
3. First stage is chosen by random from the available starter list
4. The first game is played
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stages:

Starter
------------------------
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island
Pokémon Stadium 1

Counter
------------------------
Castle Siege
Delfino
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Brinstar
Corneria
Distant Planet
Frigate Orpheon
Green Hill Zone
Jungle Japes
Luigi's Mansion
Norfair
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Rainbow Cruise
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)

Banned
------------------------
Green Greens
Mario Circuit
Onett
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld
75m
Big Blue
Bridge of Eldin
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
Mario Bros.
Mushroomy Kingdom I
Mushroomy Kingdom II
New Pork City
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses
Spear Pillar
The Summit
Wario Ware

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
Just Brawl?
Lame
i would love to host another melee tournament but unless we can get more than 20 people it just won't be worth it because it will end up costing us too much money.

i hate to say it but melee in nova scotia is pretty much dead. for one there are no new players coming to play it because its outdated and more and more people are jumping towards brawl or are losing interest in melee.

if i get a huge response for a melee tourney i'll do my best to accomodate (maybe a tourney which features both games) but i'm not seeing it on our facebook group and i'm certainly not seeing it here.

TheNix

Smash Journeyman
I wish I could go defend my title, but alas, I'm back up here in Newfoundland again.

Rooting for Nick to take this one.

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
8 days
if people are not interested in coming because it's brawl and not melee, i'll glady bring melee along to see if anyone is interest in a small 4 man bracket or at least some friendlies.

TelQuel

Smash Cadet
Hey, I got a couple of pretty decent friends here who have been smashing at a low competitive level since 64. We're all in Halifax these days. I would love to try some intra-Halifax brawls... I would love to see how internet games work without a second delay. heh.

At the moment I main: Pikachu, King DeDeDe, MetaKnight

I used to main MetaKnight but I got sick of everyone using him. I am in a transitional period trying to find which character(s) I want to dedicate myself to.

EDIT: Our community here was much more competitive with melee but sadly most of the old melee players I knew in Halifax moved away or have been playing so much brawl that they'd probably suck at melee now.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Yo guys, send me a PM for brawls sometime. I'm pretty free sometimes

Also, can someone get me Justin's email? I need to talk to him ^_^

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
Hey boys, great tournament!

Steve (thats SVEN right?) had a good wolf, and Nick Best was amazing, lol

EDIT: sorry I had to leave early, I had to do stuff >_<

camden

Smash Apprentice
You missed some pretty amazing stuff, dude, like when Paul crushed Nick 2-0. You should've seen Doom. She was insane with Toon Link. Malcolm ended up beating her 3-1, but it was still amazing to watch,

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
Halismashed II was a big success, thanks to all those who came, especially those who contributed by bringing equipment.
An extra special thanks to Paul for making sure everything ran smoothly, allowing everyone to play as much as possible.

Heres how the 25 participants placed:

01. MAL - Malcolm Baillie
02. Doom. - Sam LeBlanc
03. KMAG - Kailin Michael Alain Glasgow
04. JTF - Nick Blake
05. KID A - Paul Moore
05. Zhao - ???
07. RYAN - Ryan Chandler
07. Lamb - Nick Best
09. K - Kyle Warren
09. Ben - Ben Hicks
09. Chaos - Ben
09. Chaos_f15 - Milad James Awkar
13. Caster2 - Charley LeBlanc
13. kthx - Henry Phung
13. TuRDl - Frank Bainbridge
13. necro - Nathan
17. SVEN - Steven Crosby
17. CAM - Camden Ryan Matheson-LeFort
17. Mitch - Mitch
17. Jesse - Jesse Robertson
17. Pat - Patrick Murphy
17. MAX - Max Lingley
17. Mack - Mack
17. FADI - ???
25. Silver - ???

Adapt

Smash Lord
we should put some characters to that list and add it to the tourney data in tactical discussion

Here's what I can remember:

Mal - DDD, Ness, Mario
Doom - TL, Falco, Pit?
KMAG - Sonic, ICs, Diddy
JTF - MK, Wolf
Kid A - Olimar, DK, GaW
Zhao - Luigi
Ryan - Captain Falcon!
Lamb - MK, Falco

I think Kailin may have used some other chars as well

Top Bottom