• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Nova Scotia Thread

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
That's a very difficult question to answer. I only have replays played on TV 5, since nobody has sent me the other replays yet. If you have any from that TV, they'll eventually get recorded and uploaded.

KMAG

Smash Rookie
This stage thing is really bugging me. I was talking to justin for a good while. lets look at port town. why is it there? sure you can ban it. but why should we have too? its unessesary I find. Kyle for example. He has tp ban port town so he is left at a disadvantage. Even with the two bans, it doesn't help the people in our community. There are a few people that are upset with the stage selection (doing my research during the hellasmash tourney) I was looking for more opinions then that of the people on the PRs. My research showed me that they don't want alot of stages on there. They say "who cares if it works in theory. Why do we have to do this for us?" personally i agree. why do we have to do things because it works "in theory" Why can't we do what makes sense, and that is to please our community. Its easy. But before I go crazy, and have people bight my heads for this, I am gonna message the TOs about this.

YES WE CAN :p

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Obv. :012:

You can either play it one of two ways imo: have FD, SV, and BF. Or have a diverse stagelist. Those are really the only two ways to go.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
This stage thing is really bugging me. I was talking to justin for a good while. lets look at port town. why is it there? sure you can ban it. but why should we have too? its unessesary I find. Kyle for example. He has tp ban port town so he is left at a disadvantage. Even with the two bans, it doesn't help the people in our community. There are a few people that are upset with the stage selection (doing my research during the hellasmash tourney) I was looking for more opinions then that of the people on the PRs. My research showed me that they don't want alot of stages on there. They say "who cares if it works in theory. Why do we have to do this for us?" personally i agree. why do we have to do things because it works "in theory" Why can't we do what makes sense, and that is to please our community. Its easy. But before I go crazy, and have people bight my heads for this, I am gonna message the TOs about this.

YES WE CAN :p
He plays a tether character, and is aware of the weaknesses therein. That's like saying we should ban Rainbow Cruise because Ganon can't jump very high.

Furthermore, if you're going to make claims like that, I want concrete evidence in the form of a poll/survey, and I want to see reasoning other than "It's gay/bad for my character, I don't like it." Quite frankly I wouldn't care if Port Town is gone, because it doesn't help me. THAT, however, is not part of my competitive ideals, so unless it has a legitimate reason to go, it stays.

The fact that both Matts use it as a counter-pick shows that it HAS its place within the system, as a CP for characters with great recoveries. On top of this, it's BBR recommended.

We agreed that this would not be your domain, so back off my ruleset please. I'm not going to see us use a restricted stagelist just because people "Think it's gay".

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
i know this isnt my place since i pretty much decided to stop doing tournaments after this last Hellasmashed, but you gotta remember to cater to the will of the people as well as the competitive nature of the game.

i'm not saying ban everything that people cry about, i'm just saying you can rid the stagelist of a trivial stage like PTAD without backlash, especially when the general community wants it gone/doesnt give a ****.

Making a smash scene grow is a 2 sided coin, gotta appeal to more than one nature.

swordgard

Smash Hero
i know this isnt my place since i pretty much decided to stop doing tournaments after this last Hellasmashed, but you gotta remember to cater to the will of the people as well as the competitive nature of the game.

i'm not saying ban everything that people cry about, i'm just saying you can rid the stagelist of a trivial stage like PTAD without backlash, especially when the general community wants it gone/doesnt give a ****.

Making a smash scene grow is a 2 sided coin, gotta appeal to more than one nature.
If you ban PATD just for that, then your encouraging the wrong ideals. The moment you do that, it gets harder and harder to get anything done to get closer to these.

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
our scene banned the ice climbes infinites for almost a year, i think we're long past encouraging the wrong ideals :p

if the scene doesnt want it, get rid of it. we're about to ban MK here and he hasnt even caused a smidgeon of the problems that actually make him controversial

swordgard

Smash Hero
our scene banned the ice climbes infinites for almost a year, i think we're long past encouraging the wrong ideals :p

if the scene doesnt want it, get rid of it. we're about to ban MK here and he hasnt even caused a smidgeon of the problems that actually make him controversial
Banning ice climbers infinite is the epitome of scrubbiness...

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Are people quitting the game or changing mains because of Port Town? I don't see it happening.

If you ban Port Town for those reasons, then it's just getting into nasty territory where you lose one thing at a time.

If we're gonna ban Port Town because people whine about their character doing bad or having to learn it, I want FD banned for the same reason. I don't like it.

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
Was tv 5 the one on the end closer to the windows?

So do you know who the owners of the other wii's are? Is there any way to make a request for those replays?

I assume you will be uploading the vids you have? and posting here?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
TV 5 was the HD TV closest to the projector. As for getting the other replays, that's up to the other people who volunteered their Wiis, as I'm not going to hunt them down for it.

I will be uploading my vids eventually, and yes, they will be posted here.

Croi

Smash Lord
Furthermore, if you're going to make claims like that, I want concrete evidence in the form of a poll/survey, and I want to see reasoning other than "It's gay/bad for my character, I don't like it."
Just curious...why does a guy need to justify his not liking something? If twenty people vote for PTAD to go and five vote to stay, but all twenty offer no valid reason beyond it's gay for their character, are you going to side with the five?

KMAG

Smash Rookie
Just curious...why does a guy need to justify his not liking something? If twenty people vote for PTAD to go and five vote to stay, but all twenty offer no valid reason beyond it's gay for their character, are you going to side with the five?
Very interesting point. I guess we just need the numbers themselves. Let the numbers speak for themselves? Ballet form without opinion. Its not a good idea to do it on facebook or on this page because its only PRs and a select few who actually check it. Thats why I say wait for FFC then let the debate begin. I am not expecting a change now, nor am I saying that what we are doing now isn't working. If people are unhappy or whatever, we should know and do what we need to do. It is impossible to please everyone. I know this first hand :p. I think people just want answers as to why things are happening. I think they deserve one (because its on the BBR or SWF or its proven is not a good answer) A good answer is a detailed explanation on each stage and explain why its a starter, a counter and why its banned. Jordan explained the stages I questioned about. Even if I dont agree with some, I have an answer that I can live with and except. I think that's what really needs to be done. I would to it, but I am not good at explaining stages like jordan who writes guides and essays (good stuff :p)

would this be a good idea? of course it would take alot of time but hey. Whats what we are here for right ? :p

swordgard

Smash Hero
Yes, otherwise your falling for a fallacy. What you pointed out is the problem with smashers, they are irrationnal biased people that only care for themselves.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
We've since un-banned the ICs infinites, but it was a decision made with the survival of our scene in mind. At the time we were quite small and fragile, and losing that many people was a serious concern. We knew it was a poor decision competitively, but we had to make that choice.

And alright Kailin, I'll begin work immediately on a long detailed post explaining the decisions behind the stage lists. This will involve both BBR explanations, and my own personal take. I didn't work this hard just to see logic and reason overturned by a vocal minority.

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
in theory - port town has a predictable pattern so that players should be able to recognize a stage hazard and avoid accordingly.

in practice - you gonna get him by a car, sucka

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
in theory - port town has a predictable pattern so that players should be able to recognize a stage hazard and avoid accordingly.

in practice - you gonna get him by a car, sucka

If you get hit by a car because you don't know the safe zones, you're bad, and you deserve to get hit by that car.

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
no, i'm sick of reading all your condescending posts.

edit- i really do think your a good person jordan, your internet persona just pisses me off.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247

edit- i really do think your a good person jordan, your internet persona just pisses me off.
Sorry Mal, I just get irked when people want to ban stuff but don't support their reasoning, that's all. I debate a lot, and it means I come off as argumentative.

swordgard

Smash Hero

You not providing reasonable evidence and reasonnings what makes him respond in such a way. People like him have to deal with trolls in so many threads that at some point it slowly starts getting to you. You also assume his tone with very little evidence too, which is something most people do over the internet and should not. Now if you brought evidence, these types of debates would be more civil and maybe just maybe disagreeing with someone else wouldn't sound so bad because there would be evidence supporting your opinion.

People just don't like having their opinions challenged, and anyone who does usually comes of as "jerkish". Confirmation bias, it rules your life!

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
ok he said i deserved to get hit by a car. ;)
i'm sorry if i offended you. i don't actually wish aids on anyone. and i've been watching a lot of south park lately.... i just wanted to let him know that calling me bad because of what i said disrespected me.

in a 1v1 match on that stage the odds of any player taking at least one hit are going to be high. sorry i'm a noob debater and i didn't collect any statistics on that, its from my perspective.

again. jordan is a nice guy. sorry people.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I assume the wink means you knew I meant in-game. xD

Also, really, it's incredibly unlikely if you're paying attention and fighting in or near the same zones. Yeah, if you're fighting in the middle of the stage, it might happen, but more often then not, when Croi and I play here, nobody ever gets hit.

No hard feelings.

KMAG

Smash Rookie
Can we stop all the negative talk please. (this is why raz and I should have more private talks.

People lashing out is not an excuse for when people get frustrated. At the same time however, saying little smart comments doesnt help, however it adds fuel to the fire. Even if you think its a joke, It probably isn't to others. Im at fault for this too and thats how im learning to Pm my issues so that my "beef" with someone is only to us and not the world. ( I learned this lesson. i don't people saying "practice what you preach") I lost a goof friend because of this internet talk. as little as it may seem to others, it can mean alot to someone else and if you dont like that answer, then deal with it because its the truth.

Everytime I go on this site, all i see is *****ing about something. If we are gonna debate on something, can we debate without being pissy or calling people out, or being rude?

Maybe I shouldn't have even brought up the stages in the first place. Raz and I have worked out a solution to answer stage questions and if anyone wants an answer please PM raz (unless you can post it publicly in a proffesional manner.) I am sure a TO will be more than happy to answer any questions. If you are not happy with it then please bring it up with the head TO (justin) If you still don't like what you hear and have no solutions in fixing the problem, then deal :p

This MK ban thing. Debate all you guys want but the TOs are gonna talk about it and make a final decision. If somone doesn't like the final decision then please email the TOs. But people are being rude for no reason and it really needs to stop. This is the same with stages and CPs and what not.

I for one used to be the king of **** starting but i know very well that it doesn't help. Infact, it just made things worse so I know I am at fault and im not trying to act like im better then everyone else because i assure you..I am not.

Instead of bickering, can we talk about something that will actually help... like fundraising, promotions, or improving biweeklies so we can make our communities better?

I am not trying to say that we don't want to hear your professional opinion because the groups voice does matter. However, I think we heard enough when it comes to Banning of stages and characters to make a decision.

Sorry for the long read, but forum or not, this negativity needs to stop, and we need to start inproving the group.

(prepare for impact...)

Croi

Smash Lord
I had a secondary to overcome that impassable 60-40 Marth:Wario MU just so I could stand half a chance. And then they took him away from me!

Ban Marf. It's the only way.

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
Yes, otherwise your falling for a fallacy. What you pointed out is the problem with smashers, they are irrationnal biased people that only care for themselves.
It's only a fallacy if you believe the game needs that stage. It's pretty arbitrary one way or the other.

But the whole point is moot because we did hold a vote, and more people voted it in, so we kept PTAD.

Top Bottom