• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North [Nov 8, 2014] SypherPhoenix's Boosted Biweeklies! - Northern VA (Fairfax, VA, USA)

Swiss is so fun. You never get eliminated. And You never know who you're going to fight next round

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Yeah so basically if you lose your first round you are automatically out of qualifying for the top 16... thats kind of crazy, especially bad matchups can occur and such. Although that would allow for more matches as a whole - it essentially eliminates anyone who loses the either of the first two rounds from getting top 8, so if a good player flukes and loses or if theres an upset/bad matchup as a whole, that player is basically eliminated from the tournament since now they only have the chance to get 9-16

as a whole tho the tourney was **** and it was awesome to get to stay warmed up between matches cuz there were so many setups.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
and btw epsilon results for top 8 was

1. chillin
2. chu
3. plank
4. tope
5. redd
5. g-reg
7. milkman
7. thumbs

Vist

Smash Champion
Thanks for hosting, crimson. I already talked enough about the tournament flaws in person but at least it was an attempt at something new. Everyone had a good time regardless.

also

9. Mahone
9. Vist
11. Azen
12. Savedge
13. Wenbo
13. CK?
15. Boss (didn't play brackets)
15. ?

mahone and myself colluded the **** outta our grand finals, just to stick it to the man....

collusion son get at my bowser lol quit life cuz its mad gay

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
It'd be nice if the top placers of the lower brackets could play the top placers of the bracket above them or something, so they aren't totally eliminated after the first round. But this tourney was fun regardless. I may try to pick Melee back up somewhat seriously. We shall see.

I used all Peach btw. She's easy :bee:

Anyway, off to Genesis!

chillindude829

Smash Master
me and chu colluded too, or did we? hahaha suck it sypher. seriously though sypher u should just try not to be such a dickwad at all times, it really does nothing other than annoy people

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
The spirit of the new system is good? What part of it is good?

Why is this better than regular swiss OR double elim?

What's the motivation for this? If it's to let new players play more matches, regular swiss already does that. If it's to accomplish that while not having to deal with tiebreakers, you'll have to present a good argument why that's worth the problem that this format brings.

And I'm not saying this cause I did abysmally; I'm pretty much the worst player ever and deserve the placing I got. I doubt it'd be much better if we did double elim. It's the players like Vist and Mahone who got screwed over, who have like one or two people they match up particularly poorly against (relative to their overall skill level), but are **** in general, and are definitely capable of making a run into the top 8 from the losers bracket. They would have had the chance to do this in either a real swiss system or a double elim system.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
What I don't understand was why the PERFECTLY SEEDED BRACKET I had set up was altered causing me to fight Chu (again) second round. lol

imo you should have taken everyone who was 3-1 and put them into the bracket. that would have been 12 people and you could have had the 4 people who won the first 3 rounds get byes in the 16 man bracket. that would have been the easiest solution to everything.

Edit: @Winston, sorry for talking so much trash during your match with milkman. He's from my area and I haven't been to a tournament with him before so I wanted to make sure I yelled at him as much as possible so he got the full tope experience.

Bones0

Smash Legend
It wasn't based solely on the first match, but it had a large part in it. When you say "except to DJ" does that mean that you went 2-2 in your swiss bracket? It would make sense, then, that you would get into a lower bracket.
I lost to DJ in the bracket, which was after I already had no chance of winning.

I lost to CK, but then the other three Swiss matches I beat Sypher, Epsilon, and Alcohol. I went 3-1, but was placed in the bracket for 17th-24th SOLELY because I lost to CK in Round 1. If I had won vs. CK, I would have ended up playing in the 9th-16th bracket even if I lost all of the other Swiss matches (going 1-3).

It basically just felt like single elimination with side tournies for whoever gets eliminated. We should still just try my bracket imo. You play equally skilled opponents first in pools to seed, and then you use those seedings for bracket. The only real benefit to the whole swiss format was more games, but if none of the games after the first one really mean anything, it's pretty pointless. Mine adds more games that actually matter because you can improve your seed for the bracket and potentially go 1 or 2 rounds further than you would have if the TO just seeded 4 people of close skill level with the same value and let Tio randomly place them in the bracket.

SypherPhoenix

Smash Lord
seriously though chillin u should just try not to be such a douchebag asscunt at all times, it really does nothing but make almost every smasher hate you.

Tope

BRoomer
BRoomer
seriously though chillin u should just try not to be such a douchebag asscunt at all times, it really does nothing but make almost every smasher hate you.
You guys were both being ridiculous is what it comes down to. God I haven't laughed that hard in a while =D

Mahone

Smash Champion
What happened? I must of missed it.

Also, i really like swiss... the hype before your next round gets called is pretty cool...

but i think bones system is the best tbh

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Double elimination brackets are the way to go but they need to be seeded and arranged correctly. We even have so few people at our tournaments each time it would be simple to rank people away from people they had to play last tourney/always had to play on top of seeding by rank using TIO. It has amazing capabilities of separating by using different regions/skills and keeping things way more balanced. Instead of finding new formats i think the answer lies in using the one we usually use correctly and to it's full potential and not just making a bracket and then moving people around and going k? k.

mers

Smash Ace
Moral of the story: weird system, incredible tournament. Seriously guys, the number of setups alone made that tourney awesome, not to mention the fact that Crimson's house is sick.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Where the **** have you been since Pound?

Also Korn idk I felt unloved =( understandable. I do that **** too.
Doing school things. I play some of the richmond smashers pretty regularly. Richmond only has so many cars though.

Mahone

Smash Champion
Double elimination brackets are the way to go but they need to be seeded and arranged correctly. We even have so few people at our tournaments each time it would be simple to rank people away from people they had to play last tourney/always had to play on top of seeding by rank using TIO. It has amazing capabilities of separating by using different regions/skills and keeping things way more balanced. Instead of finding new formats i think the answer lies in using the one we usually use correctly and to it's full potential and not just making a bracket and then moving people around and going k? k.
You're missing the issue that TCB was trying to solve. Bad people don't want to pay 5 bucks just so the can play 2 sets.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
You're missing the issue that TCB was trying to solve. Bad people don't want to pay 5 bucks just so the can play 2 sets.
Well that is just ****ing ridiculous. Welcome to competitive gaming. You aren't good, you don't stay in the tournament as long. Motivation to get better. This generation of smashers is seriously so entitled. No, only paying 5 dollars for entry effectively making it so much less beneficial to be a top player and more aimed towards casual entrants isn't enough- now I should get more matches too.

The community thrived for years with tournaments almost always having $10+ entry fees, a lot of times even 15 or 20$ just for singles entry WITH a venue fee for local tournaments. Tons of players paid 20+ dollars for tournament fees alone every week just to get to where they are now, so to hear people ***** about that is seriously absurd. There is hardly ever a venue fee and the tournament itself is 5 dollars, getting two sets is fine.

Anyone complaining that double elimination bracket never gives enough playtime just needs to practice and get better so that they can.....win.

Mahone

Smash Champion
Damn dude, that's kinda harsh....

If you just put yourself in worse players shoes it makes perfect sense that they would rather just come and play free friendlies with everyone and get better rather than pay 5 bucks to play 2 sets.

I think we should cater to the worse players... the best players get to play a game they enjoy and make a little money while they're at it... i don't see anything wrong with that.

CTL17

Smash Lord
Damn dude, that's kinda harsh....

If you just put yourself in worse players shoes it makes perfect sense that they would rather just come and play free friendlies with everyone and get better rather than pay 5 bucks to play 2 sets.

I think we should cater to the worse players... the best players get to play a game they enjoy and make a little money while they're at it... i don't see anything wrong with that.
Seb mentioned a problem about trying to improve with just friendlies. Some of the top people here refuse to play friendlies with some of the worse people and leave after the tournament. (I would also like to thank everyone who do play friendlies with us, we appreciate it.) So I think what Crimson tried to do is to be able to have more of a chance to play other people in "more serious" matches, than in just friendlies.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
nah if they wanna get better in tournament then they have to enter a tournament >_>

casual players dont have the drive then dont enter the tournament lmfao why would you cater to them if all they want is to play friendlies and even when they do play friendlies they never ask the better players they play with themselves D:

soooooooooo basically either enter a tournament and start getting better or casual play and get better slower :<

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I think up to a certain base level of skill tournament sets aren't very helpful
Although after you get that base level of skill I think every tournament you don't enter is an opportunity wasted xD

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
the concept of having higher entry fees and "motivation" worked when the game was newer and the level of skill required to be "competent" was much lower.

personally i feel an amateur bracket is a great thing to have

winnar presented an idea to me that i found to be pretty neat - all the players who went 0 - 2 or loss - win - loss get put into another bracket (for fun or for their entries back, who knows?) so they get to play in a tournament around their skill level.

Top Bottom