• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Noticing more OP characters...

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
but as far as op :rosalina: :4bowser:
Getting close: :4duckhunt: :4lucario: :4sheik:
Just high tier: :4greninja: :4bowserjr: :4yoshi: :4diddy: :4falcon: :4ness: :4villager:
keep in mind i dont know much about tiers so theres that and i guess to each its own
Have you seen how much trouble Bowser has against Sheik and Duck Hunt Dog (especially the latter)?

Minordeth

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'll echo the Dorf and Mac MU. Choke brutalizes him for days, and f-tilt has stupid high speed and priority. Ganon has rather quick Uair and Nair, and once the run-of-the-mill Macs get caught, it's a done deal.

Go figure that my secondary is Mac. I think the bad habits that the less experienced Macs run through give a sense of predictability to better players, and it opens up some weird yomi where they expect you to do the same tactics as every other Mac.

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
but as far as op :rosalina: :4bowser:
Getting close: :4duckhunt: :4lucario: :4sheik:
Just high tier: :4greninja: :4bowserjr: :4yoshi: :4diddy: :4falcon: :4ness: :4villager:
keep in mind i dont know much about tiers so theres that and i guess to each its own
I don't know about you, but honestly I have not had a single problem with a Bowser in the 500+ games I have played so far, and he is one of the most common people I have played. I think he is overhyped because he hits hard, and he has more speed than most heavies, and people don't have much experience in the game, but honestly, his moves are predictable and punishable, and he will probably end up falling to mid- high tier or the low end of high tier.
And Rosaluma is not OP. People just don't know how to face her yet (She will probably still be high tier though).
As for Bowser Jr. No. He is just not high tier. He is probably low tier seriously. Every time I see Bowser Junior, I just go in no matter what character I am using because of how bad he is.

Additionally, you forgot entirely about: :4zss: and :4sonic: at the very least and :4samus: and :4rob: and :4pikachu: and :4jigglypuff:.
I won't make an argument against Ness, but I really don't think that Villager is a problem either.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
Coming from someone who's really only played with Greninja, the only characters I have problems with are Little Mac and Link/Toon Link. I'm average at best, so I feel like I can tell when I'm playing someone way above my skill level so I'm trying not to take those into consideration. But I've had a lot of matches where I beat someone, not destroy them or anything but win pretty handily. Then after a game or two they switch to Mac or Link and beat me. If the Macs are stupid enough to let me bait a dash attack at the ledge I'll win, but most have become aware of that which gives me trouble. Link just has so many damn projectiles and I just can't play the way I like to play against any half decent Link.

HammerHappy

Smash Apprentice
ZSS, projectile campers, counter spammers and Little Mac are annoying as **** in concert with how strong shielding is and how easy recovery is.

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
There is a fine line between OP and difficult to deal with.
OP is like when a character is simply impossible to get in on. Personally, I think I've beat every Greninja and most Sheiks I've ever fought.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
There is a fine line between OP and difficult to deal with.
OP is like when a character is simply impossible to get in on. Personally, I think I've beat every Greninja and most Sheiks I've ever fought.
That's like saying "I beat Meta Knight with Lunk, this game is balanced f00ls lol" and running away with that opinion. I'm not saying they're OP (and they're not, they have a bit of trouble KOing outside of edgeguarding), but don't use that as a source to state opinions.

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
That's like saying "I beat Meta Knight with Lunk, this game is balanced f00ls lol" and running away with that opinion.
I was making note of it, but excuse me if that offends you. I guess I'll refrain from it in the future.

--------------

My point was that everyone in this game has a weakness and you always have an opportunity to get in on them regardless of the character. Sure, some are stronger than others, but that doesn't automatically make them "Overpowered"

It's like saying Fox is OP in Melee because people can play him really well and they've got his techniques down. It's simply not true.

I basically have one piece of advice for those who are so quick to call on the "OP" button. Learn to Adapt to both the character you're fighting, but most importantly the player you're fighting. Know your enemy and all that.

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I honestly don't think Sheik has any weaknesses whatsoever. Her toolset includes literally everything that can be good about a character. Speed, mobility, power, combos, recovery, safety, projectiles, grabs, she's got it all.

She somehow managed to be even more crazy than her Melee incarnation in a game where pretty much no one else is that good.

Minordeth

Smash Ace
You can tech flame choke, allowing you to recover before Ganon. I bet Mac gets free FTilt.
I'm aware, but most run of the mill Macs can't or don't know how at this point. It takes some pretty precise timing, especially precise if you've been caught off guard. Against a better player, it's still an option, but not quite as spammy.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
You can tech flame choke, allowing you to recover before Ganon. I bet Mac gets free FTilt.
Teching does not make you recover before Ganon actually, and if he guesses right on your tech a buffered flame choke will catch you again.

That said it does make it harder to chase/follow up and prevents the Ganon from getting a free Dtilt follow up, so tech that **** people!

BLUJAY

Smash Cadet
I don't know about you, but honestly I have not had a single problem with a Bowser in the 500+ games I have played so far, and he is one of the most common people I have played. I think he is overhyped because he hits hard, and he has more speed than most heavies, and people don't have much experience in the game, but honestly, his moves are predictable and punishable, and he will probably end up falling to mid- high tier or the low end of high tier.
And Rosaluma is not OP. People just don't know how to face her yet (She will probably still be high tier though).
As for Bowser Jr. No. He is just not high tier. He is probably low tier seriously. Every time I see Bowser Junior, I just go in no matter what character I am using because of how bad he is.

Additionally, you forgot entirely about: :4zss: and :4sonic: at the very least and :4samus: and :4rob: and :4pikachu: and :4jigglypuff:.
I won't make an argument against Ness, but I really don't think that Villager is a problem either.
maybe its just me

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
I played For Glory against a pretty good Yoshi (kind of spammy with the eggs, but had a good arsenal of aerials and tilts as well). He beat me at least 10 matches in a row. Then I played as Little Mac, even though I've barely played as him, and know little to none of his tactics beyond ftilt and dash attacks. I didn't even play that well or necessarily try that hard, and I easily 2-stocked the Yoshi.

Maybe my opponent wasn't used to the match-up, but he easily tore down my MegaMan, Peach, Ganon, and Zelda, and appeared to be a pretty good and knowledgeable player (good reads, strings, and knowing when to use all the different attacks at his disposal.)

Little Mac is probably OP. Many will disagree, but my experience showed me that I didn't need to know hardly anything about playing the character to beat an opponent who was clearly better than me.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I played For Glory against a pretty good Yoshi (kind of spammy with the eggs, but had a good arsenal of aerials and tilts as well). He beat me at least 10 matches in a row. Then I played as Little Mac, even though I've barely played as him, and know little to none of his tactics beyond ftilt and dash attacks. I didn't even play that well or necessarily try that hard, and I easily 2-stocked the Yoshi.

Maybe my opponent wasn't used to the match-up, but he easily tore down my MegaMan, Peach, Ganon, and Zelda, and appeared to be a pretty good and knowledgeable player (good reads, strings, and knowing when to use all the different attacks at his disposal.)

Little Mac is probably OP. Many will disagree, but my experience showed me that I didn't need to know hardly anything about playing the character to beat an opponent who was clearly better than me.
By that same logic Raven and Doomsday are OP in Injustice because while I don't play them I have taken tournament matches with them. Oh and Ares must really be OP (For non-Injustice players, Ares is bottom 3) since I don't even know his full movelist and beat someone today in tournament despite that person beating my main.

Matchups and certain characters being easier to play by design probably has nothing to do with anything and as such if you beat someone with someone who isn't your main, then that character is OP.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Like I posted in a couple other threads, I feel that Little Mac is a specifically terrible matchup for Yoshi. Little Mac is a fast-faller, and Yoshi's kill power is all vertical. This means he has to put on like 160% damage to kill Mac off the top, and if Mac lives to 160% you're not going to win.

There are some tricks you can use to make the matchup a little more possible, like using a lot of neutral B and Nair, but it's likely at least 6-4 Mac, probably 7-3.

That being said, I do agree that Mac is likely OP.

Last edited:

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
I DO HAVE A QUESTION!

What do people think of Zelda? I personally don't know what to do about being killed by her up-B, but I also know little to nothing about the matchup. Thoughts?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I DO HAVE A QUESTION!

What do people think of Zelda? I personally don't know what to do about being killed by her up-B, but I also know little to nothing about the matchup. Thoughts?
She seems really good in this one.
Right now I'm dealing with her UpB by tapping her portrait to put the reticle on her and see where she will appear. I'm not sure how I'll deal with it in the WiiU version though... I might play on the 3DS when I run into a Zelda...

Top Bottom