• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Noticing more OP characters...

chrisall76

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chrisall76
3DS FC
2921-9185-8763
I play Greninja, he's definitely not overpowered. I find that his counter misses more than other characters and his Side-B is readable. As for Little Mac, he seems to dominate on for Glory since they're stages without platforms and most people online don't know what to do against him.

CrimsonYoshi

Smash Apprentice
I'm on iPhone so it's too hard to type, but I felt cheated playing a greninja once.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Greninja is actually one of the more balanced characters. Hes strong but when you find a weakness/he goofs he gets punished hardcore.

Littlemac is all about abusing his lack of air. They will ALWAYS charge you because they have no other play. All they can do is dive you and hope you didnt think they were going all the way, or fake you out when you try to counter it.

Shiek is the most op character imo. Crazy combo capability, insane killing potential, and easily one of the strongest projectile spaming (you cant see those nails, they knock back enough where if she spams it you only have a split second to get away from it, and fully charged it has one hell of a throwing potential for some gay reason).

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
You can't complain about OP characters this early. Nothing has developed yet, advanced strategies for countering characters just aren't there yet. All of the above mentioned characters are not overpowered.

Little Mac is THE character to shield-grab. His grab is too short to grab you and he lacks any sort of range, so when they come at you with a Dash attack (which they often do) or a Jolt Haymaker, you shield it then grab them.

Greninja is actually a character that's based on their opponents ability to predict, I think so anyway. All his moves rely on the opponent not reading him and not predicting where he's going or what he's gonna do. So, an opponent who can work out his strategy has the advantage.

Sheik is not OP, she just has very few bad match-ups. She relies on being very fast and applying the pressure, so any character who can do the same to her is putting her at an even match (or even a disadvantage).

I really don't think anyone in the cast is OP, they did a pretty good job of balancing the game. Only complaints I have are Rosaluma and occasionally Duck Hunt.
Duck Hunt has two excellent projectiles, disjointed hitboxes, powerful attacks, an above average recovery, and that incredibly annoying Down Special.
Rosaluma has Luma, as well as having powerful attacks. However, a lot of her attacks are somewhat slow, so that is a weakness.

Last edited:

PeterJude

Smash Ace
little Mac, Greninja...see anyone else?
To be honest I can't find a single OP character in the game. Played and faced all of them now, they all have their strengths and weaknesses. The game is surprisingly well balanced. The closest I can find to OP is Rosalina & Luma.

We will end up with tier lists, but as always they won't be reflective of other levels of plays.

Little Mac for example looks the kind of character who will be "Soooo OP" to the casual and newbie crowds, and mid tier at competitive level.

Should probably add that Greninja is easy to punish as long as you know what he can do. If you don't know his moves, he can be troublesome, but once you know what he's capable of he hasn't got much of an arsenal left.

Last edited:

The Soap

Smash Apprentice
"I'm bad at fighting against these characters so instead of learning the matchups I'm gonna complain about how they're obviously OP."

Starman15

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RobotTurtle5000
3DS FC
3136-7638-2428
Switch FC
SW-2901-3121-3539
None of the characters are OP. If anybody is it's Bowser, but I'm just saying that from personal experience.

"I'm bad at fighting against these characters so instead of learning the matchups I'm gonna complain about how they're obviously OP."
I'm loving your avatar :p Slippery Soap ftw.

Last edited by a moderator:

CrimsonYoshi

Smash Apprentice
Little Mac was a mistake to call OP. I know that now.

I'm sticking with Greninja though. He looked like he has little to no lag, excellent combos, while still being small and fast enough to dodge attacks. I can't find any weakness on him. Thanks for being so positive, though.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
There really isn't anyone who's overpowered. Rosalina is probably the trickiest of the bunch to deal with, but even she has some flaws that need to be kept in mind.

Tsukihi Araragi

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3609-1966-0579
Little Mac is OP but he's also awful in the air and his side special is kinda suicidal. He's mid-low tier at best IMO.

I'm sticking with Greninja though. He looked like he has little to no lag, excellent combos, while still being small and fast enough to dodge attacks. I can't find any weakness on him. Thanks for being so positive, though.
Grininja ain't OP, I've managed to beat him before.

GIT GUD M8

There really isn't anyone who's overpowered. Rosalina is probably the trickiest of the bunch to deal with, but even she has some flaws that need to be kept in mind.
Rosalina isn't a challenge for me. I have trouble against spammy characters like Duck Hunt, Samus, and Lucario.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
greninja really doesn't have any clear weaknesses unless you're playing some random one on for glory that spams obvious shadow sneaks all day.

the character is really good. also, sheik is incredibly overrated.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
The only thing keeping Little Mac from trash tier is the KO Punch killing at 30% but offline he's nothing.

Greninja, haven't seen enough to judge.

Spirst

Little Mac is OP but he's also awful in the air and his side special is kinda suicidal. He's mid-low tier at best IMO.

Grininja ain't OP, I've managed to beat him before.

GIT GUD M8

Rosalina isn't a challenge for me. I have trouble against spammy characters like Duck Hunt, Samus, and Lucario.
Don't know if you're kidding or not but beating a character doesn't say much about the character as it does about the player. You can beat an MK in Brawl but that doesn't make him any less OP. I'm not arguing that Grenina IS OP but this is faulty logic.
greninja really doesn't have any clear weaknesses unless you're playing some random one on for glory that spams obvious shadow sneaks all day.

the character is really good. also, sheik is incredibly overrated.
Glaring weaknesses? No. He does have some shortcomings though. Most notably, his issues with KO power as well as general reliable approaches. He also has some problems against characters that are as speedy as he is as that disrupts the natural flow of his gameplay. Projectile heavy defensive characters can also be rather problematic.

Tsukihi Araragi

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3609-1966-0579
Don't know if you're kidding or not but beating a character doesn't say much about the character as it does about the player. You can beat an MK in Brawl but that doesn't make him any less OP. I'm not arguing that Grenina IS OP but this is faulty logic.
Well Greninja isn't that hard to fight against. Sure his substitute attack is annoying but other than that he's not much of a threat.

Spirst

Well Greninja isn't that hard to fight against. Sure his substitute attack is annoying but other than that he's not much of a threat.
I don't think you're actually playing good Greninjas then. Any competent Greninja isn't going to be using substitute much outside of specific circumstances seeing as how it's probably amongst the worse, if not the worst, counters in the game. Not to be condescending, but I don't think you quite know what you're talking about if you truly think he isn't much of a threat.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
To be honest, every character is a threat in this game. If you don't think so, start playing better players. Do some have short comings? Sure. Ganondorf might be hard pressed to land a move. But leave yourself open, and you've basically lost a stock. Also, how long have any of us had this game? Way too early to declare characters as "OP" or "not a threat." Techniques will be discovered for one character, and then the other characters will react and find more things. Unless you really think you understand the ins and outs of every character... just stop.

CryoGX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CryoGX
Neither of the characters mentioned are OP, imo.

Just for future reference for anyone else, if you call someone "OP" but then list an extreme disadvantage that balances out the character's power, then that character likely wasn't really OP to begin with.

OP in my opinion is when something is incredibly powerful with little to no drawback to balance out said power. Little Mac is only powerful on the ground, which is a pretty balancing factor, if you ask me. I've yet to see a SS-Tier-Brawl-Metaknight in this game, or people having a advantage due to their character moreso than their skill level, regardless of whether or not you can defeat it.

Also, being in an advantageous situation (examples: character counters/stages) do not make a character OP; Little Mac, as mentioned before, excels on the ground; Final Destination gives him no reason to have to jump whatsoever, meaning his game will be at its best. The stage itself adds to his viability. It'd be different if Little Mac was just as powerful in the air as well as the ground.

Anyway,

Please don't make the argument that a character is OP because it beats you.

The game's been out for a little over 2 weeks; I haven't gotten my playstyle down perfectly, and I'm pretty sure none of you know how to play in every given situation of this new game; some of these calls of "OP" can literally be just because of some who don't know how to play their/counter the opponent's character. The simplest argument that my friends apply to this situation is "Get good, scrub.", as some of them complain about the current winning character being OP or BS in Project M. Seriously, chances are, you're gonna go against someone who's far better than you in online; just because they utterly destroy you is not a valid reason to quickly assume the character they're playing is OP. That's a straight up insult to their skill. While the opposite (Beating an OP character doesn't decrease its OP-ness) can be argued here, people don't tend to make that argument as much, and the chances of there being an OP character in this game are likely significantly lower, especially after what happened in Brawl, so I ask that you mainly apply this logic to those arguing what I mentioned above about balanced characters.

I utterly wreck Little Macs online (mostly) as I main Sonic, which feels somewhat like a counter for him, as I can dodge and get him off of the ground with my speed. Does this mean Sonic is OP because I usually have an easy time beating Little Mac? No. It possibly does mean that Sonic's skillset can capitalize on Mac's weaknesses (assuming same skill level), making him a Mac counter, but Sonic can likely countered by someone else as well.

My Sonic has gotten destroyed by Links online before (even some Little Macs), as well. This does not mean that Link is OP just because I struggle against him; it more than likely means that there's a discrepancy in skill, and that possibly Link can counter Sonic. I'm getting better against fighting Link, as well and can adjust my playstyle better upon going against him. (Assuming skilled Link)

Greninja is probably one of my predictions for top tier, but "top tier" doesn't usually mean "OP"; it generally means a versatile fighter good for tournaments. (Meta Knight got his own tier last time due to being overpowered, which is an exception here.) While the balance in this game isn't perfect, calling Greninja overpowered is stretching it, as he has counterable moves (they don't work in every situation and can become predictable). While he doesn't have some huge drawback like Mac, he still has several smaller ones, which can balance out his smaller advantages compared to Mac.

Pretty much, every character I've played so far has advantages and disadvantages that cancel each other out. The more powerful a character, the more drawbacks it will have (Little Mac takes both to extreme levels). The less powerful, the less drawbacks (Greninja's level of power and disadvantage are closer together). The ones with less power and drawbacks tend to be the more versatile, technical and top tier characters, I think. When you have a character that has nowhere near enough disadvantage to cancel out its advantage, you have an OP character.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Sometimes it depends on who you're facing, since you could clobber Rosalina in one bout, only to get annihilated by her by a different player in another bout.

A Gray Person

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gray21oh
3DS FC
1719-3271-0480
I don't think shouting OP is something that should be done just yet. Right now everyone seems to have their good and bad match-ups relatively balanced. Besides Little Mac and Greninja seem to have a bit of a hard time with characters like Sonic, Duck Hunt Dog and Robin.

EarthBoundRules

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4399-0517-2480
The only character I'm worried about being too powerful is Rosalina. It seems like every matchup is in her favour.

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
Greninja isn't overpowered, Trust me.

But Little Mac and Rosalina and Mii Fighters are without a doubt.

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663
As far as I'm concerned, Greninja is a pretty overall average character in pretty much every aspect. Average KO potential, above average mobility, a little below average weight etc. He has a projectile that can be good if you charge it, but it isn't that great in comparison to other charged projectiles, but at the same time it is a lot better than many other projectiles in the game.

Nothing about him really screams overpowered about him to me really, I think the character has potential but I can't see anything inherently "OP" about him.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The only character I'm worried about being too powerful is Rosalina. It seems like every matchup is in her favour.
Even then, Rosalina has her weaknesses, which include...

1. Rosalina is very tall for a lightweight, and as such, is very easy to send flying.
  2. KO potential relies a lot on the Luma, as without it, Rosalina's KO options get reduced.
  3. The Luma itself is pretty easy to take out, and if it's sent flying over an abyss, it's a goner.
  4. Rosalina is floaty while airborne, which makes her vulnerable to being KO'd vertically.
  5. Down aerial isn't very reliable for a disjointed attack, as the ring actually has to be close to Rosalina to be more effective. Even then, the down aerial only deals up to 8% damage. As a result, most fighters aren't discouraged by that attack, and can still juggle Rosalina around if they're mobile enough to keep up with her aerial momentum.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I don't consider anyone in the game to be overpowered at all, least of all, Little Mac.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Most, if not all characters in this game have the potential to be just as powerful as these "Op" characters. Some characters (Little Mac, Rosalina, Yoshi, Bowser, Greninja, Sheik, Zero Suit Samus etc.) immediately come across as incredibly strong/fast or combo heavy, but that's not to say other characters don't have those traits. A lot of characters are being looked over because of this; they actually have very good reasons to be used, but they aren't being picked because they aren't as immediately noticeable as the "Op" characters mentioned.

Pick a main and understand everything there is to know about him/her. If you master this character, you should be able to take out those aforementioned characters with ease. Sometimes you just need to dig a little deeper into a character to see that they're just as good as the "Op" ones.

ImReallyFeelingIt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sailings
Pick a main and understand everything there is to know about him/her. If you master this character, you should be able to take out those aforementioned characters with ease. Sometimes you just need to dig a little deeper into a character to see that they're just as good as the "Op" ones.
Greatly said.

Also,

I'm surprised people think Rosalina is OP. I think she's fairly balanced.

And Mac is balanced because of his crummy recovery. I can count many times I've won a match because of his bad recovery and scored from him. I guess he could be "OP" if the player uses him right or in other words not spamming.

Riskman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
weavorsomething
3DS FC
2406-5118-0663
Greninja isn't overpowered, Trust me.

But Little Mac and Rosalina and Mii Fighters are without a doubt.
I certainly felt the same way about Little Mac and Rosalina before, but right now I'm actually convinced these two are severely overrated. Rosalina and Luma have potential and I keep hearing people say things like "Oh just you wait, eventually people will unlock her full potential!" but the truth is the Luma is a little bit limited in itself. Still good, but they aren't as good as people are making them out to be. Light + tall isn't exactly great.

As for Little Mac, he will probably turn into a defensive one-trick pony in terms of playstyle; he punishes your approaches or whatever, runs back to his safe zone and when his KO punch is finally ready he goes for it and hopes it hits. Very limited potential because like half of his moves are useless and ones that are useful will eventually become predictable.

With Mii Fighters, I feel as if they're all extremely generic and anything that seems good about them probably came from custom equipment rather than the standard fighters themselves.

Last edited:

ChampKing

Smash Cadet
No overpowered charracters at the moment. Mac isn't OP though people who say he is bad are idiots and everybody else seems fine even Rosalina.

ImReallyFeelingIt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sailings
Manage to smash Rosalina's Luma off the stage and she's not even close to OP anymore.
Sure they come back eventually, but seriously, Rosalina users rely more of the Luma than Rosalina herself.

She's especially bad in Sudden Death.

Oh and,

*Goes on about Mac's super horrible recovery*

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622

I just faced a Little Mac player who was miles better than me, I managed to shield grab him, throw him off the stage and he fell down into the abuss...Little Mac's too high-risk, high-reward to be considered OP, and Greninja IS annoying because of his Side B, but he's not really OP.

Sheik and ZSS are really OP and almost impossible to beat againist an experienced player.

Last edited:

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I just faced a Little Mac player who was miles better than me, I managed to shield grab him, throw him off the stage and he fell down into the abuss...Little Mac's too high-risk, high-reward to be considered OP, and Greninja IS annoying because of his Side B, but he's not really OP.

Sheik and ZSS are really OP and almost impossible to beat againist an experienced player.
I wouldn't say they are OP. It is just that they are very solid characters. Almost every Sheik I have run into does generally the same combo, and can rack up my damage very high really quickly, but she always has trouble getting that killing blow in.

As for ZSS, she is fast and strong, but she is far from OP. Shiek and ZSS are good characters, but they are also characters that don't show their true colors until put into the hands of someone good.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I think that at least bottom tier in this game doesn't mean that you are utterly helpless against top tier ones but rather that you have to work extra hard for your victory. I've managed to defeat good Little Mac and ZSS players with Ganondorf, they even put a great challenge but I managed to win.

Blue Warrior

Smash Apprentice
Greninja basically seems like a more slithery Mario. I have trouble dealing with some of them, but I'd attribute this more to him being new rather than him being strong. His KOing problems are real, at the very least.

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
Most characters have startegies that could make them seem OP. And if everybody is OP, nobody is OP.

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
No one is overpowered. Some characters have good matchups with some characters, but I haven't noticed anyone overpowered.

:4littlemac:: Little Mac is really easy to deal with. Just get him off the stage and gimp him. If you want to rack up percentage on him, shield-grab him, then juggle him.
:4greninja:: Greninja isn't overpowered either. He may move really fast and can rack up damage quickly, but he has a hard time killing anyone, especially heavier characters. He's also pretty easy to K.O.
:rosalina:: She's not like the Ice Climber when her sidekick dies she's rendered useless (in fact, she's solid with or without Luma), but she's really light. I can reliably kill her when she's in her 90%'s or so.

All of these characters have their own flaws, calling them OP would be a stretch.

Pabben

Smash Rookie
OF COURSE Greninja fanboys will say he's "OP" when he clearly isn't. Grow up.

Top Bottom