• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Noticing more OP characters...

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
-Mario's weight is 98 which is a little lighter than average, but not bad. He's a bit short so that helps. Lucario is 100 BTW (as was Ivysaur in Brawl)
-True
-Mario is all about killing at high percents. He's about scaling so all his moves get better with more damage. Not to mention his moves are pretty quick, so once you break 120, Mario starts sending you everywhere.
His biggest problem is his range. His range is really abysmal :x

Mataata

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mataata
3DS FC
2964-8599-6875
The ones I have the utmost hardest time against are Dedede and Ganondorf. They hit like trucks, can kill at crazy low percents, and simply do not move when you hit them.

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
The ones I have the utmost hardest time against are Dedede and Ganondorf. They hit like trucks, can kill at crazy low percents, and simply do not move when you hit them.
But their moves are slow and punishable.
It is about racking up the damages with fast moves, not knocking them back. You can kill them late, but if you don't let them touch you with their strong moves, you don't get knocked out. P.S. it helps if you play a fast character.

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
Ive been playing little mac for 5 min after, maining ZSS for 3 years.....just wow. If he doesn't get hit with a nerf noone will

e

Last edited:

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
He doesn't need one. I, for one, think he is incredibly easy to deal with.

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
He doesn't need one. I, for one, think he is incredibly easy to deal with.
whats ur main? Hes a pain in the ass to deal with for zss....

Ive literally just started playing little mac against little macs. Its working way to well....

Last edited:

TypePositive

Smash Apprentice
I main Greninja and I disagree he is OP entirely. Against some characters he has a very real advantage, but so do most of the other characters. Off stage, Grenny's probably the most well off and he has some pretty sick mix ups, but to me it seems that Greninja's tempo is totally ****ed when faced with projectiles. There's other weaknesses, but I don't now the words for 'em, just take my word for it, greninja is adaptable, but doesn't really excel at anything besides fighting offstage.

SmasherP83

Smash Ace
NNID
SmasherP83
3DS FC
4699-8697-4633
I main Greninja and I disagree he is OP entirely. Against some characters he has a very real advantage, but so do most of the other characters. Off stage, Grenny's probably the most well off and he has some pretty sick mix ups, but to me it seems that Greninja's tempo is totally ****ed when faced with projectiles. There's other weaknesses, but I don't now the words for 'em, just take my word for it, greninja is adaptable, but doesn't really excel at anything besides fighting offstage.
Up smash.

TypePositive

Smash Apprentice
Dude, yeah up smash is a thing, but if someone gets hit by someone spamming that thing, they kinda suck. I mean almost every character has one alright ill move, that doesn't make them OP. I've used Grenny a lot, a lot, and to me he seems like he'll end up on the higher end of middle once everyone figures how the other characters work. Hydropump if anything makes Greninja a bit OP more than an smash attack. That thing is killer.

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
whats ur main? Hes a pain in the *** to deal with for zss....

Ive literally just started playing little mac against little macs. Its working way to well....
I play Captain Falcon xD
Show me ya moves :4falcon:

Dude, yeah up smash is a thing, but if someone gets hit by someone spamming that thing, they kinda suck. I mean almost every character has one alright ill move, that doesn't make them OP. I've used Grenny a lot, a lot, and to me he seems like he'll end up on the higher end of middle once everyone figures how the other characters work. Hydropump if anything makes Greninja a bit OP more than an smash attack. That thing is killer.
Honestly, his neutral game feels pretty solid Actually getting in on Greninja is a pain in the ass because of how many options he has in neutral.

Last edited by a moderator:

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
Honestly, his neutral game feels pretty solid Actually getting in on Greninja is a pain in the *** because of how many options he has in neutral.
I guess it's all about match ups, I have 0 problems screwing up greninja off stage or on due to the zss paralyzer

TypePositive

Smash Apprentice
Yeah...okay...greninja is good. Admittedly, out of a lot, a lot games I haven't played much with any of the other characters so I guess I'm a bit biased. I've started just literally throwing mac around and that's worked everytime so far. I don't know how it will stand against a really good mac player, but seems to be obvious strategy of getting the not an air fighter in the air.

Last edited:

NeonBurrito

Smash Ace
whats ur main? Hes a pain in the *** to deal with for zss....

I would assume :4zss: would be really good with Little Mac, because of her extended grab. How do you fight Mac?

Last edited:

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
Greninja is actually one of the more balanced characters. Hes strong but when you find a weakness/he goofs he gets punished hardcore.

Littlemac is all about abusing his lack of air. They will ALWAYS charge you because they have no other play. All they can do is dive you and hope you didnt think they were going all the way, or fake you out when you try to counter it.

Shiek is the most op character imo. Crazy combo capability, insane killing potential, and easily one of the strongest projectile spaming (you cant see those nails, they knock back enough where if she spams it you only have a split second to get away from it, and fully charged it has one hell of a throwing potential for some gay reason).
I personally think that Greninja is better than Sheik or at least more consistent, but I do know Greninja kills way more reliably than Sheik even though he's slower.

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
I would assume :4zss: would be really good with Little Mac, because of her extended grab. How do you fight Mac?
I fight him near the edge. Getting him off stage is easy, it's the follow up and the smash angles that's the problem. That and if u miss a grab, ur completely screwed.

no1butmenotu

Smash Cadet
little Mac, Greninja...see anyone else?
I know that this game hasn't been out for long, however, it seems balanced to me so far. It does feel kinda like rock paper scissors. For instance, I got destroyed by link and rob with my luigi, however, my charizard does very well against rob and other characters that I struggled to fight as luigi. When it comes to character balance and tier lists, I try not to think of them and simply just play the game.

I'm playing online, so just because I lose to someone doesn't mean that their character is OP. There will always be players that are better than me.

I mean honestly, I feel like people are sleeping on Captain Falcon. He is miles better than Lil Mac. xD
God! Captain Falcons tear me a new one! I'm still trying to develop a good gameplan against them! His pressure game is really good.

Last edited by a moderator:

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
I guess it's all about match ups, I have 0 problems screwing up greninja off stage or on due to the zss paralyzer
Well ZSS is one of the other characters people say is top tier, so that isn't saying much. Greninja, Shiek, ZSS, and Rosalina. BUT Rosalina is the most likely to fall out of that group first xD

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Well ZSS is one of the other characters people say is top tier, so that isn't saying much. Greninja, Shiek, ZSS, and Rosalina. BUT Rosalina is the most likely to fall out of that group first xD
I highly doubt that.

Rosalina is far more versatile than the others. Her meta is never going to stop developing because of Luma. New stuff is being discovered by the day.

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
I really don't think anyone in the cast is OP, they did a pretty good job of balancing the game. Only complaints I have are Rosaluma and occasionally Duck Hunt.
Duck Hunt has two excellent projectiles, disjointed hitboxes, powerful attacks, an above average recovery, and that incredibly annoying Down Special.
Rosaluma has Luma, as well as having powerful attacks. However, a lot of her attacks are somewhat slow, so that is a weakness.
as a fellow mac main these characters are annoying to fight.

JohnnyDelMidwest

Smash Apprentice
Ironically in the South (Clarksville, Arkansas)
I'm predicting that Bowser and Donkey Kong will turn out to be OP because it is soooo easy to land KO's with them. The first time I played with Donkey Kong I noticed that his attacks dealt very high damage and that his weight made it difficult for him to be knocked around. With DK, I can do things that are clearly beyond my skill level.

Last edited:

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I'm predicting that Bowser and Donkey Kong will turn out to be OP because it is soooo easy to land KO's with them.
Out of 488 For Glory matches, I haven't come across a single Donkey Kong, so I don't know what to say to that.
Bowser on the other hand is pretty good, but vectoring is a thing and his moves have a lot of start up and ending lag. He doesn't do well against projectiles and I think his air game is pretty bad, so I'm lead to believe he won't be Op.

JohnnyDelMidwest

Smash Apprentice
Out of 488 For Glory matches, I haven't come across a single Donkey Kong, so I don't know what to say to that.
Bowser on the other hand is pretty good, but vectoring is a thing and his moves have a lot of start up and ending lag. He doesn't do well against projectiles and I think his air game is pretty bad, so I'm lead to believe he won't be Op.
I think the reason why nobody is talking about DK is simply because nobody is using him. He is soooo good.

TypePositive

Smash Apprentice
I'm predicting that Bowser and Donkey Kong will turn out to be OP because it is soooo easy to land KO's with them. The first time I played with Donkey Kong I noticed that his attacks dealt very high damage and that his weight made it difficult for him to be knocked around.
I got to disagree just because I use Greninja and them and yoshi are the easiest and most hilarious to force suicide with hydropump. But, I can see how other characters might have some trouble with them... I going with the opinion that this game may be on the whole balanced.

JohnnyDelMidwest

Smash Apprentice
I got to disagree just because I use Greninja and them and yoshi are the easiest and most hilarious to force suicide with hydropump. But, I can see how other characters might have some trouble with them... I going with the opinion that this game may be on the whole balanced.
That might be true. Everyone is talking about Little Mac but he's simply not an issue for DK. Rosalina is manageable with DK too.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've faced a few DKs in For Glory and they are not much trouble for Rosalina or Sonic.

He is such a big target so he's easy to combo, and he's also easy to hit with Rosalina's Luma Shot and Sonic's B-air (both kill moves, very useful for gimping these big targets too). I also like to let Luma hang around off stage and Smash the DKs, since his aerials are slow and he cannot afford to use them when trying to recover. Rosalina completely controls the pace against DK. Even if he uses Up B early to get by Luma, that leaves him open to a follow up from Rosalina.

I lost to one as Rosalina but it was a kinda laggy match and it was a day where I had a lot of laggy matches, so demotivation sunk in (Rosalina cannot deal with lag since she requires so much precision).

Bowser is a similar case. One of my friends mains him and I have played against him since the Brawl's last online days. Bowser feels like less of an issue for Sonic this time around, since Sonic can kill now. And Rosalina can do the same things she can do to Donkey Kong, to Bowser. But she can also stop Bowser Bomb with Up Tilt and Up Air, and those moves also have great knockback.

Bowser is certainly better in this game though. He's fun to play as and fun to fight.

Mataata

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mataata
3DS FC
2964-8599-6875
But their moves are slow and punishable.
It is about racking up the damages with fast moves, not knocking them back. You can kill them late, but if you don't let them touch you with their strong moves, you don't get knocked out. P.S. it helps if you play a fast character.
I play Kirby and Samus the most often. I can dodge their attacks just fine, but if they even land a single hit on me they've got me stuck in their combos.
I've gotten to the point where I typically win against Ganondorf, but not easily.

Cherubas

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4746-9812
Currently I don't think anyone is truly OP. I don't think every matchup is even though. I feel like some characters DO have an advantage over others. Roughly 50% of my online 1v1 matches have been played as Bowser Jr, 40% or so have been Ness and that last bit has been spread out over about 6 other characters so I won't pretend that I know how every character stacks up against every other character, but I'll give you my input on some of the ones I've seen mentioned in this thread so far.

Bowser - Not OP. Don't get me wrong, he's a really strong fella. He seems a good bit faster than in Brawl and if he's reading you better than you're reading him it will be a short match, but so many of his moves are punishable. Even the poor guy's side smash has a windup period where you can smack him out of it pretty easily and then if he misses it you can smack him while he's laying like a big sexy naughty turtle on the ground. His breath is good for gimping, his Up B has taken priority over some of my aerials, and I've even fallen victim to getting spiked by his dair, but I wouldn't consider him OP at all. He still takes good reads to play effectively.

DK - DK is surprisingly good imo. He has a combination of range, priority, and power that makes him hard to deal with in competent hands. His bair beat out all of my aerials when I faced him as Bj. Every trade was in his favor since he hits so hard. He may be lacking in projectiles but the battle I had with him may be the most frustrating matchup I've had as Bj yet. He might be easier for a character with more projectiles or more speed.

Rosalina - Rosalina is annoying. Her moves cover good area around her, they hit harder than I would expect, and they don't give a very big window afterward to punish. I thought she would rely more on Luma than she does, but Luma just feels like an afterthought. Rosalina doesn't need Luma to be a threat. She's still not OP, mind you, but she does feel like she requires more reading than a lot of characters in order to punish effectively.

Captain Falcon - I'm not sure how I feel about Falcon yet. He's quick and somewhat strong, but I haven't seen the knee in action on this game yet. In melee that was the reason I played Captain Shinynips at all. That knee was amazing. In Brawl the sweetspot felt different, I didn't like it as much. In this game I still haven't seen how strong it is so I'm holding back full judgement until I see it.

Ganondorf - I kinda put him somewhere between DK and Bowser in the sense that he has a lot of power, some good range and priority with some of his moves, but he does require that you know when to use the right move. I fought one who abused his Sparta kick and the fact that I suck at teching out of the chokeslam. He also managed to side B through my fair which made me very unhappy. Against someone faster than Bj Ganondorf is probably easier to deal with, but this one player that I faced just dominated me like 8/2 or something.

Greninja - I don't think Greninja is OP. I said it. I have a friend who fell in love with this character and plays him A LOT. While Greninja is fast and tricky, all of his moves can be dealt with reliably once you find the right method. Like fighting a Zelda boss or something. You just have to stay alert.

Little Mac - I admit that when I first got this game and played Little Mac a bit I was almost disgusted at how easy he was to dominate with. So much speed. So much power. And that KO punch... When I first faced one online I was a little worried how it would turn out, but he's actually not that hard to deal with (at least for Bj). The same strategy seems to work for me almost every time. I stand with my back to an edge and throw out some projectiles to encourage Mac to close the gap, he does. He uses 1 of about 3 moves, 90% of the time it's the dash attack. I shield and grab, throw him off the edge, position myself horizontally aligned with him in the air and throw out a fair which he side Bs into. I jump out and give him another one to put a little more distance between him and the stage. He plummets to his death at about 40%. Repeat. Sure, sometimes it takes a few attacks before I catch them with the shield grab, and sometimes they'll throw in a counter instead of a side B, and the KO punch has to either be respected or baited out at 0% damage, but eventually this strategy always prevails. Always. Little Mac is probably the single best character for dominating beginners, but because he's so easy to edgeguard he'll never be top tier.

ZSS - This is another character that I usually only see players use about 5 of her moves in a match. That's not the character's fault really, but so many players I play online get into this habit of rolling back, shooting that stun thing, and then trying to dash attack or (in rarer cases) grab after it that they become easy to deal with just cause you know you'll be getting the same pattern of openings every time. The only ZSS I've ever faced that gave me trouble (and she gave me a lot of it) was some hyper aggressive player who rushed me down harder than anyone else I've ever played. She destroyed my first stock in embarrassing fashion. Unfortunately for her, "full speed ahead" seemed to be her only setting. I started dropping exploding clown cars on her and she ate every one without playing more defensively at all. I think if she would have added just a little bit of defense to her strategy she would have won every match against me, but knowing that all she was going to do all match was charge at me made things too easy.

For me, my hardest matchups have been DK, Ganondorf, and Yoshi, though not necessarily in that order.

kyxsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2423-2660-2706
ZSS - This is another character that I usually only see players use about 5 of her moves in a match. That's not the character's fault really, but so many players I play online get into this habit of rolling back, shooting that stun thing, and then trying to dash attack or (in rarer cases) grab after it that they become easy to deal with just cause you know you'll be getting the same pattern of openings every time. The only ZSS I've ever faced that gave me trouble (and she gave me a lot of it) was some hyper aggressive player who rushed me down harder than anyone else I've ever played. She destroyed my first stock in embarrassing fashion. Unfortunately for her, "full speed ahead" seemed to be her only setting. I started dropping exploding clown cars on her and she ate every one without playing more defensively at all. I think if she would have added just a little bit of defense to her strategy she would have won every match against me, but knowing that all she was going to do all match was charge at me made things too easy.
As a zss main, I found that to be our first major weakness. We do well in generally every match up, but we become predictable fairly quickly. Personally, Ive played around with her long enough to have enough mixups to be "spontaneous" for a few matches, but after 10 bouts in a row, some people begin to read me like a book. Then it comes down to can their character react in time?

link7

Smash Lord
NNID
Kidlink77
3DS FC
2234-7140-8163
In my opinion, I haven't fought any characters I would call OP. Lil Mac is most certainly manageable. Spam projectiles and let him come to you. The most ANOYING character to fight is Sonic. People constantly spam his specials.
Now here's something weird. I see people constantly say Robin is OP and amazing. Why? Maybe I haven't fought any good
Robins, but I tend to beat them all the time. I've lost to only one Robin in Glory, and that was due to a SD. Will someone please enlighten me?

Spirst

In my opinion, I haven't fought any characters I would call OP. Lil Mac is most certainly manageable. Spam projectiles and let him come to you. The most ANOYING character to fight is Sonic. People constantly spam his specials.
Now here's something weird. I see people constantly say Robin is OP and amazing. Why? Maybe I haven't fought any good
Robins, but I tend to beat them all the time. I've lost to only one Robin in Glory, and that was due to a SD. Will someone please enlighten me?
No. I don't see it either. You'll find a number of people for every character claiming the character is OP. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Madolche ♦ Procione

Smash Apprentice
No one has stood out as OP to me yet, but there are some characters who are a little obnoxious for me to deal with.
Like others have said, too early to tell, I think.

Maripu

Smash Cadet
I definitely don't think Greninja or Little Mac are OP. When working tiers are developed I'd expect Greninja to fall mid-to-high tier and Little Mac mid/lower middle tier. Little Mac in particular plays fairly badly, though I will definitely wait for matchups to make a claim like this. But you can tell almost instantly that recovery is abysmal (I think most would agree it is one of the worst in the game) and attacking options are very limited. I am waiting for matchups as I said but I expect particularly that Villager, Rosalina+Luma and Duckhunt will have incredibly strong matchups vs. Little Mac.

Greninja I will have to play more/play against more/see official matchups to comment.

Blue Warrior

Smash Apprentice
Loving the differing opinions in this thread.

ZSS and Sheik are top tier, but I don't think this is going to be a problem, since a sizeable amount of the cast are at their level or at least significant threats. I'm hoping that by the end of this year our metagame will involve a greater portion of the cast than Melee.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Only character I'm worried about is Rosalina because she has so much goddamn potential with that Luma it isn't even funny, but even then I don't think anyone is overpowered on the level of 64 Pikachu, Melee Fox, or Brawl Meta Knight.

Last edited:

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
He isn't OP. Whoever is telling you he is OP is wrong. :x
I mean, I had a few friends who used him when the gme came out, and they all switched because he was underwhelming.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Even with Duck Hunt, Fox absolutely destroys him in that matchup. His lasers stop all three of Duck Hunt's projectiles cold: the lasers actually knock back the can at him, and destroy his gunmen and clay frisbee. This forces Duck Hunt to rush down Fox, and Fox is better at that anyways.

In my opinion, Sheik, Diddy Kong, Rosalina, and Yoshi seem to be the most powerful, and even then I don't think they're glaringly better than the rest of the cast.

Last edited:

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
I just don't see where people think he is that hard to deal with, I really don't.

His one weakness, however, is tht he is bad in the air.
I.E. Once he is in the air, he might as well be dead.
The fact that he dies so easily once in the air DOES balance him because he doesn't have 6 strengths, he has one:
His ground game is the best in the game bar none. Problem with that is that it isn't impenetrable, and all your opponent has to do is land one or 2 good hits and or a grab, then put in a concerted effort to keep you in the air.
MAYBE it is easier with Captain Falcon because that is what he does, but if you are playing any good player, and they know all they have to do is grab you, getting one good grab is not that hard with any character :x
The problem is that you're under the assumption that every Mac player is dumb enough to let you camp him out on the edge and wait to grab him but I'm not talking about those types of players I'm talking about those players who are aware of that weakness and will camp you out in the middle of the stage and again if you're not using a character with projectiles how do you force him off the edge?

Also you're saying he doesn't have 6 different strengths, well I guess not if you just wanna be vague and only say he has great ground game but you need to understand what that ground game has it's arsenal like:

-he has a great running speed
-all of his attacks are fast and most cancel into his jab combo
-his jab combo does 20-25% of damage, that's most characters smash attack
- his smash attacks apply a lot of pressure even going so far as to push him off the stage
-he also has a K'O punch which controls the pace of the fight in his favor because it forces you to try an bait it out, which any smart player would take advantage of
- he has a counter that slows his decent and protects him from being gimp as easily and combine that with his F B he has a good mix up

I honestly don't think you've fought a smart little mac who knows how to abuse all these strengths I've listed, I'm not talking about srcubs who just picked up the game I'm talking about good players. It's honestly like a crappy meta knight and a really good meta knight in brawl he becomes broken when players are aware of the damage he can deal and the advantage he has over the rest of the cast, while I don't think mac is broken I do think he's op especially when all the paler needs to know is not to be grabbed

Last edited:

Eight Melodies

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DestroyerGiygas
Ness is obviously the best character.

He's got:
-bat
-PK Fire
-back throw
-up air

This clearly puts him leagues ahead of other characters.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Ness is obviously the best character.

He's got:
-bat
-PK Fire
-back throw
-up air

This clearly puts him leagues ahead of other characters.
Hey, don't forget the PK Thunder, it's important for Ness (I think ?).

Top Bottom