• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not a Tier List: Montage's Character ratings: New Info: Meta, Sonic, Snake, Lucario

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aleol

Smash Journeyman
no longer bounces.... WHAT??? of course he still bounces, what are you talking about?

ah, well, I'll wait till I have the game to prove my point.
@ hedgedawg: what's your source?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
no longer bounces.... WHAT??? of course he still bounces, what are you talking about?

ah, well, I'll wait till I have the game to prove my point.
@ hedgedawg: what's your source?
my friend who lives in the same dorms as me owns the game and I play it every day.... he seems to just.... go through them with his dair now.... toon link still bounces... and has some other nifty bonuses to his dair... but link just... I mean, why they'd make him worse is beyond me, but... looks like they did... at least right now

(granted... after experiencing his landing lag, I didn't try his dair as much as I used to, but everytime I connected with it, there was no bounce)

Aleol

Smash Journeyman
Toon link bounces... WHAT??? He goes *SHOOMP*, straight down with dair. he always land on the ground (I think) and anyone around him starts flying. link, however, still bounces when he delivers his strike upon the head of his foes.

his dair is still VERY powerful.

never mind, I remember toon Link still bounces

rm88

Smash Ace
NNID
Rm88Go
3DS FC
5241-1973-5614
Great thread, really informative ^_^ Easily the best Brawl topic yet.
Edit 1: It lacks Kirby. -10000000
Rating: Very informative, good job!

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Toon link bounces... WHAT??? He goes *SHOOMP*, straight down with dair. he always land on the ground (I think) and anyone around him starts flying. link, however, still bounces when he delivers his strike upon the head of his foes.

his dair is still VERY powerful.
This isn't true. They both bounce, however Adult Link MUST hit with the tip of the Dair ot bounce. TL doesn't. TL will bounce regardless.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
Bleach, son. Bleaaachhhh. I skipped that filler ****. Somehow Rukia and Orehime are in the soul society, says kon. I think I may have missed something!! :D

Anyways, I'm gonna go to bed NOW.
Hopefully you watched the soccer ep, it was cute.

On Topic:

I tried link for a little while... he's just not great. His up+B... and his Down+Air, hi best two moves seem rather negged.... and it's not like he receieved exceptional buffs to cover for them either... though I do enjoy the bigger kick to his bombs...

and I completely agree with Kuja about sonic. He's not as great as you are touting him.
I'm gonna be dropping Sonic unfortunately. :ohwell:

I've already got a full plate with Wolf, Snake, Dedede, and I started messing with Ness too. Currently, I wouldn't risk playing Sonic in a tournament. There's too many things I don't like about him.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Isn't that usually the only time you hit with Link's dair?
not really... if an enemy moves left or right at all to dodge, it isn't going to connect flush and you'll hit the ground... and be Uber prone

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Luigi got a 7/10? I thought he would of gotten an 8/10 but oh well, at least he's viable for first place and may actually beat his bigger brother for once!:)

But also about Toon Link being pretty much the best in the game, that makes me sad, I hate him. And will I be afraid when someone picks him? No. I'm not giving that toon brat his satisfaction for being the best and also being the BIGGEST clone in the game.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Luigi got a 7/10? I thought he would of gotten an 8/10 but oh well, at least he's viable for first place and may actually beat his bigger brother for once!:)

But also about Toon Link being pretty much the best in the game, that makes me sad, I hate him. And will I be afraid when someone picks him? No. I'm not giving that toon brat his satisfaction for being the best and also being the BIGGEST clone in the game.
toon link is good... I'm still not sure about best, but he's definitely really good. and he'll definitely win some tourneys

controlfreak7

Smash Ace
meh i don't really agree with this, one reason being nair shining does not still work with fox u can hit with it but its not really good for anything. You gave yoshi 4/10 when a yoshi video (and i don't care if its against a computer it still shows a potential) just came out that shows why its good that djc is out. It actually improves his offense off stage because its not in anymore. and G&W is **** his smashes are ridiculous and his d-smash is the fastest smash with high kb (i believe) in the game if u space it correctly.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
meh i don't really agree with this, one reason being nair shining does not still work with fox u can hit with it but its not really good for anything. You gave yoshi 4/10 when a yoshi video (and i don't care if its against a computer it still shows a potential) just came out that shows why its good that djc is out. It actually improves his offense off stage because its not in anymore. and G&W is **** his smashes are ridiculous and his d-smash is the fastest smash with high kb (i believe) in the game if u space it correctly.
Zelda's Dsmash is fairly strong and has insane speed. hers is definitely the fastest at least... but yeah... this has come up repeatedly... it looks like it's an official thread, but it's really just one guys opinions albeit a well layed out one guy's opinions

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Ice Climbers have tons of combos. And they're up for the "Most Potential" award again-- right up there with Olimar.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
toon link is good... I'm still not sure about best, but he's definitely really good. and he'll definitely win some tourneys
If Link is as bad as people are saying and toon Link is as good as people are saying then WTF Sakurai? You take one of the most popular characters and make him bad yet you take his less liked cel shaded incarnation and make him really good?

That's BS right there if I've ever seen it. Though I'm hoping Link will turn out better than people are saying.

Patsie

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the info, it's good too see some early impressions.

As I'm sure DMB would agree, these need to be taken with a grain of salt. It's only been a few weeks, and even though they've put in an impressive amount of hours, they've only had a pretty small test group. I'd like to see how this evolves as time goes on.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
If Link is as bad as people are saying and toon Link is as good as people are saying then WTF Sakurai? You take one of the most popular characters and make him bad yet you take his less liked cel shaded incarnation and make him really good?

That's BS right there if I've ever seen it. Though I'm hoping Link will turn out better than people are saying.
at least he's still got the same problems that he's always had so it's not like link fans will have to find new things to complain about... except that toon link is better for some inane reason.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
at least he's still got the same problems that he's always had so it's not like link fans will have to find new things to complain about... except that toon link is better for some inane reason.
Except that his swordspin was nerfed and the floatiness of Brawl hurts his air game. At least from what I've seen. But I still have hope that he will end up being better then people think. In fact I've seen some pretty good Link vids already...I think people are exaggerating.

Linkubus

Smash Cadet
Except that his swordspin was nerfed and the floatiness of Brawl hurts his air game. At least from what I've seen. But I still have hope that he will end up being better then people think. In fact I've seen some pretty good Link vids already...I think people are exaggerating.
Link just seems so different from his Melee counterpart that I think people are thrown off by his new style. People haven't really figured out his new strengths yet and how to use them. I don't think he'll be as bad as people think; from looking at videos he already looks promising, and I can already picture in my head how to put together combos (kinda).

Plus how can you not like his new bombs?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
everyone keeps saying that about everyone (except ike) so, logic dictates that,if everyone gets better, then the rankings will stay ore or less the same.

anyway link still isn't floaty in brawl

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Everyone's afraid of Ike's superpower moves owning the universe, so of course they'll keep predicting him to drop in rankings.

And shame about dropping Sonic. Even Lucky sez chasing foes yields better results than trying to go for a power kill, which Sonic doesn't have.

wodan46

Smash Cadet
Just rate Snake a 9 and be done with the whining about him being incredibly slow. When you can pop out C4 at the drop of a hat and have 6 different munitions, you don't have to worry about your slowness anymore.

The problem with heavy characters in Melee was that not only were they slow, they generally had weak recovery, and no projectiles. Characters like Snake, Dedede, and Rob show what happens when you correct that issue.

Also, how come you have played both Kirby and Yoshi, dislike both of them, and only rated the latter? And why do you say Yoshi's moves have been nerfed? All of his B moves have been improved and made useful, and his Pivot grab is probably the best grab in the game.

slimpyman

Smash Journeyman
this post is evil... its very opinionated and nonsensical. this dude is a nut. and he needs a montage head shot.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
this post is evil... its very opinionated and nonsensical. this dude is a nut. and he needs a montage head shot.
bah.

while I disagree with a LOT of what he says... I couldn't do better because I haven't spent a lot of time on each of the characters. I'd only be able to give better opinions on some of them.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
I think marth should be higher
I do too.

Was this at me? You didn't quote anything.

bah.

while I disagree with a LOT of what he says... I couldn't do better because I haven't spent a lot of time on each of the characters. I'd only be able to give better opinions on some of them.
It's funny, since you say you don't agree, but post in this thread 5 times as much as I do!! :D

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
Seems to me that TL is basically YL with power and harder to kill thanks to Brawl's new mechanics. He's decently fast in the air and on the ground, so he lends himself to a rushdown style. Regular Link seems to be more of a zoning/striker like Peach was in Melee mixed with Snake. Give it time, once people start rocking Link there will be something good to come out of that. At worst, he'll end up average like Melee; because he looks more Jack-of-all-Trades than even Mario.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Seems to me that TL is basically YL with power and harder to kill thanks to Brawl's new mechanics. He's decently fast in the air and on the ground, so he lends himself to a rushdown style. Regular Link seems to be more of a zoning/striker like Peach was in Melee mixed with Snake. Give it time, once people start rocking Link there will be something good to come out of that. At worst, he'll end up average like Melee; because he looks more Jack-of-all-Trades than even Mario.
well I don't know... he's one of the fewer characters that can often die from lack of recovery ability. I'm thinking that his ranking in melee will be his best outcome and is ranking in SSB64 will be the worst...

as for sonic, I've tried him in some 1 v ones vs. the omnigamer who is, admittedly, better than me with most characters... and I just can;t seem to get sonic to win much if at all.

He was completely walled by kirby since he was too short to get hit on the ground and his air game was so much better than sonic's. Metaknight was another poor match since, on his homestage, metaknight was impossible for sonic to approach when he was under the platform.
Dedede, Ganondorf and Snake were evener matches, but sonic had to pull out all the tricks in the book just to give himself a shot.
Bowser was the one favourable (for sonic) matchup I played. but in the end, I got koopacided off the edge, and in a koopacide, the foe is the first to die.

ARX-7 Arbalest

Smash Journeyman
Temple Hills, Maryland or University of MD, Baltim
well im glad that most of the newcomers i want to use seem good
Ike, Pit, Snake, Toon Link, and Lucario

im just kinda saddened that some of my melee vets that i use arent as good
mario, captain falcon, jigglypuff, peach (her down smash was my holy grail), an link

but as u can see, while im losing my five vets, im gaining 5 newcomers lol so its addition by subtraction i guess

BOTA

Smash Apprentice
is link seriously that bad? or do you think he was like that in melee too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom