• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not a Tier List: Montage's Character ratings: New Info: Meta, Sonic, Snake, Lucario

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoreEater

Smash Rookie
Esmagador: there's a difference between saying characters are overall good and bad, and saying that a player can't be successful with a "bad" character. There are greater and lesser characters in every fighting game, deal with it. Your angry misdirected rants are contributing exactly nothing to the thread.

Personally, I think your ratings and so forth are mostly reasonable. You're right about Zero Suit Samus, she just doesn't have enough going for her to be a really stand-out character. However, I feel that you are underestimating Olimar. If I might make a bold prediction, I think we'll see Olimar players doing very well in the first year of competitive Brawl, at least after the majority of the competitive crowd gravitates away from their Melee choices and settles in on new mains. After people get better at certain aspects of the game, or new techniques are developed, his dubious recovery will make him less popular.

Metzger

Smash Apprentice
I'm starting to wonder a bit about Yoshi. His recovery really doesn't suck that much anymore; you've got like four egg tosses as well as two jumps, and he has SAF still on his second jump, which helps. It also seems like his priority is really high on some moves; I think his B-Air -> * intros are going to be harder to stop than people think.

Plus, his frickin' egg roll got buffed like crazy. At full tilt you'll literally parry a Falcon Punch. That's nuts, considering you can pick up most of your momentum just starting the roll before you hit the ground out of a normal jump (short hop doesn't seem to add much).

It's probably a pipe dream - I mean it *is* Yoshi - but I think I'm going to mess around with him a bit as we move into the NA Brawl launch.

kr3wman

Smash Master
This doesn't work.

Your comparing Veterans with their attacks and such from Melee, but totally overating the newcomers. I mean, sure some we're nerfed, but it's not a good rating system.

ErciChewman

Smash Ace
Dk was where on the tier list last game? And Bum did what to people in melee? Exactly.

I still haven't seen anyone impress me with Zamus yet.
I'm not talking about melee ******. I'm talking about Brawl. Bum is beasting other pros with DK. What part don't you understand. Also, are you implying that Bum wasn't good in melee?

I don't really think so, though. That's supposed to be chillin's main, and he goes bairly toe-to-toe with any character azen plays.
Do you even realize what you just said, "That's supposed to be Chillin's main", LOL are you serious!? Chillin and Azen have only been playing for like a couple weeks, if that. Either way, Do you even know who Azen is?! Azen is debatably the best Melee player in the country, Chillin' doesn't even come close to him, so of course it doesn't matter what character he uses. The fact that chillin' can even go toe-to-toe with ZSS against AZEN proves that ZSS is good. Azen is retardedly good at any game he picks up, he stoped playing melee for a really long time, came out of retirement and won a major tourney defeating M2K and the like.

Get a clue.

Could a Mod please close this thread as it provides nothing but illusionary impressions of
characters for the non-experienced to get false ideas from.

pirkid

Smash Lord
I think some people in this thread are expecting a sort of game reviewer insight on these character.

It's not. GET OVER IT. It's a simple list of what the OP thinks are the ratings for these characters.

These aren't set in stone. These can be flawed, and biased. These are not the company's look on the characters.

"This is our opinion. If you know something, tell us, don't flame us. :D Keep in mind, this is an early list, and will be updated regularly."

Instead of saying "UR RONG BOUT YOSHI DUR NUB HE IS GOD TIER", contribute to the thread. Gives opinions o what you think of the reviews, and if they are wrong or not, and prove it.

Esmagador: there's a difference between saying characters are overall good and bad, and saying that a player can't be successful with a "bad" character. There are greater and lesser characters in every fighting game, deal with it. Your angry misdirected rants are contributing exactly nothing to the thread.

Personally, I think your ratings and so forth are mostly reasonable. You're right about Zero Suit Samus, she just doesn't have enough going for her to be a really stand-out character. However, I feel that you are underestimating Olimar. If I might make a bold prediction, I think we'll see Olimar players doing very well in the first year of competitive Brawl, at least after the majority of the competitive crowd gravitates away from their Melee choices and settles in on new mains. After people get better at certain aspects of the game, or new techniques are developed, his dubious recovery will make him less popular.
This is what I mean. Instead of trying to close a useful thread, Lore is actually telling the OP what he thinks of th review.

Is it that hard for osme of you to accept that your favourite got a bad opinion review?

/endrant

Gindler

Smash Champion
Oh and as for Yoshi's moves being nerfed, in all actuality every single one of this B moves have been Buffed, egg roll cancels out a falcon punch, bomb is easier to hit with, the egg swallow keeps them in the egg longer, and the egg throw gives him a little distance for recovery. All in all, I dont think he should be considered the worst in the entire game...again.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
He's overdue for an update. but it won't be huge.

The MW thinks he's top tier, but I don't see it. His lag on his Fair is INSANE. And his ko ability off the stage is weak, which is an important factor. I imagine him getting spanked by projectiles. Especially toon link, and olimar. He can't attackk directly after UB. He has to complete the animation.

By the way: You said supposed. Which shows me you haven't played it. If you haven't you can't form solid opinions, yet. Don't be so eager.
I don't see how projectiles will be a big problem for Game and Watch seeing as his down+b has the highest projectile priority in the game and has no lag... but things like his Dair being able to spike in the initial frames and his incredibly buffed Fsmash and Bair make him seem a lot better than melee to me. He's also faster.

And I know I haven't played the game, but just by looking at a ton of G&W videos you can tell. My friend played Brawl about a week ago and told me that he is a destructive force and much faster than before; and while that is just my friend, I do trust his judgement.

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
I'm not talking about melee ******. I'm talking about Brawl. Bum is beasting other pros with DK. What part don't you understand. Also, are you implying that Bum wasn't good in melee?
My God, the point of dmbrandon's post went sailing over your head. Allow me to clarify it for you:

Bum owns people with DK who is low tier in Melee. Bum owns people with DK who dmbrandon believes as of now is low tier in Brawl. So in effect, it's NOT DK that's good, it's Bum.

Do you even realize what you just said, "That's supposed to be Chillin's main", LOL are you serious!? Chillin and Azen have only been playing for like a couple weeks, if that. Either way, Do you even know who Azen is?! Azen is debatably the best Melee player in the country, Chillin' doesn't even come close to him, so of course it doesn't matter what character he uses. The fact that chillin' can even go toe-to-toe with ZSS against AZEN proves that ZSS is good. Azen is retardedly good at any game he picks up, he stoped playing melee for a really long time, came out of retirement and won a major tourney defeating M2K and the like.

Get a clue.

Could a Mod please close this thread as it provides nothing but illusionary impressions of
Or you could stop trying to convince a guy that his opinion is wrong, simply say you disagree and move on. Anything else makes you look like a troll fresh from under a bridge.

wodan46

Smash Cadet
ErciChewman, dmBrandon is indicating that Bum was an extremely good player with DK, and thus could play him effectively against pro players with top tier characters, but that most pro players are unable to use DK at a decent level. In short, Bum is a fluke.

Hurry up and update DMbrandon, I bet updating would quell some of the criticism.

LoreEater

Smash Rookie
Chewman, I get the impression that you have yet to play Brawl for an appreciable length of time. If this is the case, I wager that your opinion on Zero Suit Samus will change after you have logged some hours on the game. As for your other points, concerning the matches between this Azen and Chillin, that doesn't mean anything. A single (or several) random match you saw on Youtube doesn't "prove" a character is good, regardless of the participant's supposed mastery of Melee or whatever.

As for the Yoshi thing... I'm sure this has been gone over quite thoroughly already, but I agree that he is definitely one of the worst in the game. I wouldn't say the absolute worst at this point, but he's pretty mediocre. For sure, they increased the viability of his special moves, although the up special is lowered in utility as a projectile. His recovery is better, but good recovery doesn't mean as much in Brawl as it did in Melee overall. The good news is that a number of his moves are better now, relatively speaking, namely his backwards aerial, forward and up smash, and in my opinion, the up aerial. But all in all, he doesn't have enough strengths to peg him as a competitive character, at least not with the current known techniques and whatnot.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Thanks for your vie point :) if I used your prespective i have a 71% average but it all comes down to if I play well or not. I cant wait to brawls against you guys in three days see if all this practise has paid off :).

Whateva

Smash Rookie
that opinion on yoshi makes me question your research or wonder if every body is so stuck in the melee box that they fail to see that BRAWL yoshi is going to be played diffrently from MELEE YOSHI. thats like saying luigi is useless because he cant wave dash.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
and.... I was right.... mostly.....
from what I hear abut what the pros are thinking for the tentative teir list and guess what... this one ain't that close... mainly in the areas that I've brought up before:
-ZSS is considerably good and is better than Samus
-Zelda is quite good and sheik is mediocre.
-Sonic is way low
-Space animals are middle of the road

blah blah blah I've said it all before. I don't feel like restating all of it, just saying that I think that this thread can officially die now

AlphaDragoon2002

Smash Ace
NNID
AlphaDragoon02
and.... I was right.... mostly.....
little leaks I see have shown what the pros are thinking for the tentative teir list and guess what... this one ain't that close... mainly in the areas that I've brought up before:
Good thing the first four words in the thread title read "Not a Tier List" in big giant letters then.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Good thing the first four words in the thread title read "Not a Tier List" in big giant letters then.
honestly? are you being serious? rating every character by order of how good they are? it's a teir list. the words "not a teir list" are stamped on the thread becuase teir list speculation threads get locked

Scicky

Smash Journeyman
being a Tier List would imply that the characters are in groupings, and they aren't, in a Tier
List, there are groupings, and no character is exactly as good as another...

This has ratings that are equal, and no groupings at all...

nothings saying "From 6.5 to 8 is middle Tier" or anything like that

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
being a Tier List would imply that the characters are in groupings, and they aren't, in a Tier
List, there are groupings, and no character is exactly as good as another...

This has ratings that are equal, and no groupings at all...

nothings saying "From 6.5 to 8 is middle Tier" or anything like that
well fine, but, just like a teir list, it's putting them in order from good to bad... my point is that this thread's order is wrong.

the_sliver

Smash Rookie
Seems Sakurai did a good job balancing the game :). All these characters seem good! (with the exception of a few). I'm especially surprised (and pleased) with DeDeDe!

dmbrandon

Smash Master

Get a clue.

I love this guy. Come to my house, and eat my food. I bought it to share with all of my friends, and you're one of them.

Seems Sakurai did a good job balancing the game :). All these characters seem good! (with the exception of a few). I'm especially surprised (and pleased) with DeDeDe!
:D!! I agree.

ErciChewman

Smash Ace
wow, you guys are all completely ********. I never used Azen and Chillin' as an example you idiot. Notice that I was quoting dmbrandon's impression of Azen vs. Chillin, so it was him that brought that up, not me.

And for the guy who is trying to convince me that Bum is apparently so good that he can 3 stock everyone with DK and it has nothing to do with the fact the DK is REALLY good in brawl...yeah, you are really dumb. Bum is amazing, but he doesn't 3 stock everyone in new york in melee, just Brawl. Logic would have it that DK is improved immensely.

Most importantly. To all the reets who keep saying "this is just his opinion". If that's the case then this thread should be closed. We don't need another n00b giving their fricking opinions. Also, saying that this isn't a tier list is just well...you guessed it, ********. What is a tier list? It's a ranking for all the characters, and what has dmbrandon done to each character.....given them a ranking. Even though they're not LITERALLY GROUPED on the front page, it doesn't take much to assemble them (by RANK) into a tier list. And what did someone do on this thread...they did just that...and did dmbrandon oppose the list, nope he backed it like it's his own...because it is! ta-daa!

This thread should read "A BUNCH OF ******* MAKE A TIER LIST BASED ON THEIR OPINIONS"

dmbrandon

Smash Master
wow, you guys are all completely ********. I never used Azen and Chillin' as an example you idiot. Notice that I was quoting dmbrandon's impression of Azen vs. Chillin, so it was him that brought that up, not me.

And for the guy who is trying to convince me that Bum is apparently so good that he can 3 stock everyone with DK and it has nothing to do with the fact the DK is REALLY good in brawl...yeah, you are really dumb. Bum is amazing, but he doesn't 3 stock everyone in new york in melee, just Brawl. Logic would have it that DK is improved immensely.

Most importantly. To all the reets who keep saying "this is just his opinion". If that's the case then this thread should be closed. We don't need another n00b giving their fricking opinions. Also, saying that this isn't a tier list is just well...you guessed it, ********. What is a tier list? It's a ranking for all the characters, and what has dmbrandon done to each character.....given them a ranking. Even though they're not LITERALLY GROUPED on the front page, it doesn't take much to assemble them (by RANK) into a tier list. And what did someone do on this thread...they did just that...and did dmbrandon oppose the list, nope he backed it like it's his own...because it is! ta-daa!

This thread should read "A BUNCH OF ******* MAKE A TIER LIST BASED ON THEIR OPINIONS"
You're hilarious. All you're doing is trolling my thread, trying to gain some kind of headway, since my crew is established, and you're...well... No one.

It sucks, I know... I'm sorry.

Either way, you need to get the **** up out of here. You're a troll loser, and you have no friends. :D

Seriously, I'm reporting your post.

Also: If you're so good, you should MM me. I mean, obviously you're better, since you are so strong in your opinion. You vs my random, plox.

Owanida.

Dry Bones

Smash Ace
i disagree with what dmbrandon says because he gave my favourite character a low rating. he is wrong because i saw that character do something really good in a youtube video, or because _________ said that he/she is a good character. i therefore have the right to question his intelligence and ruin his thread with idiotic posts

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
This thread has now run its course, especially with the stickied Tier List Discussion in the Tactical Discussion forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom