• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Not a Tier List: Montage's Character ratings: New Info: Meta, Sonic, Snake, Lucario

Status
Not open for further replies.

Best101

Smash Ace
DK's Final Smash if done right, will **** the entire field in a 4 player FFA. Seriously you should see his final smash done perfectly

Also, I'm maining Toon Link or Falco.

Inu_Yasha

Smash Cadet
I'm hoping to master someone cool like Pit, Sonic or Toon Link, but if that doesnt work out I'll just stay as Sheik. It's nice to have a fallback.

Break

Smash Apprentice
Really? You still haven't done a rating for Kirby? Not to be rude, but that alone makes the rest of your ratings seem overly biased.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Really? You still haven't done a rating for Kirby? Not to be rude, but that alone makes the rest of your ratings seem overly biased.
I can't use him. I mean, I CAN, but I don't know his main approaches, or how to handle him properly. When I try, I play him too much like jiggs.

so, instead of giving him a flawed rating, I just don't rate him.

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
It does seem biased, there's no way to tell how well these characters can be outputed. Getting a general idea of something doesn't explain everything especially when played by only a few people. I just think all of the leet mainers/masters should apply their info on the list.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
It does seem biased, there's no way to tell how well these characters can be outputed. Getting a general idea of something doesn't explain everything especially when played by only a few people. I just think all of the leet mainers/masters should apply their info on the list.
Not completely researched, and biased aren't the same thing, kids.

Dry Bones

Smash Ace
it's almost worth dmbrandon doing a rating for kirby just to make a lot of these morons shut up (but of course they would likely whine about what rating he got anyway). seriously, who gives a crap if he's not rated or not

MetalLuigi1209

Smash Ace
Yoshi should have a higher weight and a higher speed stats. In another thread, some people researched and analyzed all the characters speeds and weights, and Yoshi was in the top 10 for both, and around 10th/37 is above average..., so he should definatly get higher than a 5 in both of those categories in my opinion.

kenja0

Smash Apprentice
I don't mean biased in a bad or angry way. When playing, you're leaned to do certain things based on previous knowledge and you may overlook simple or cool things.
That's why I suggested the masters b/c they know their characters in and out to not miss things.

Super Drybones

Smash Ace
I can't use him. I mean, I CAN, but I don't know his main approaches, or how to handle him properly. When I try, I play him too much like jiggs.

so, instead of giving him a flawed rating, I just don't rate him.
The more you practice the luckier you get.

Prax

Smash Journeyman
Wow, i expected Ike to get better than a 7.5. He has the most powerful smashes in the game, a fairly good air game, and a great vertical recovery which can also do 25% damage.

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
Hey Brandon, ive got a request, could you please order your charcter rankings baised on rank?

right now, this is the closest thing we have to a tierlist, I would like to orginize my vid archive with some sort of ranking, but we dont have one... also, honestly, who pays attention the the geographical placement of the characters?

Kirby M.D.

Smash Journeyman
Meh, I was hoping Wolf wouldn't be so beastly so I didn't look like a tier ***** :(
He's a Spacie, beastlyness comes with the territory. I mean come on, he's a beast that walks on two legs. XD

On topic, this is good info. dm, you may not have the best internet people skills but you have done this community a service. If you're holed up sick, maybe you could get other members of the crew to give their opinions. It'd help shut up the "OMG UR BIASED" cats as well as get some backup for your data (like having a Kirby rating).

wodan46

Smash Cadet
I already converted this list of ratings into a 5 layered tier, with higher ranking characters to the left. Kirby is presumed to be mid tier for now, as he was high tier in SSB and low tier in SSBM.

Top Tier: Toon Link, Diddy, Wolf, Snake, Fox, Falco, Marth
High Tier: Samus, Pit, Rob, Metaknight, Dedede, Olimar, Lucas
Mid Tier: Zelda/Sheik, Pikachu, Ike, Ness, Sonic, Luigi, Peach, PT, Lucario, Kirby
Low Tier: DK, Ganondorf, G&W, Mario, Wario, Jigglypuff
Bottom Tier: ZZS, Bowser, Link, Ice Climbers, Captain Falcon, Yoshi

While its true that DMbrandon is going to have some bias, he is an experienced melee player, and has played Brawl for many hours against other experienced players. He is likely to have a good idea of how characters pan out. I suspect that at least 2/3s of the characters will remain permanently in their given tiers, and that only 1 or 2 characters will change performance drastically enough to move up or down more than 1 tier.

okiyama

Smash Ace
Zamus is better than 5.5 she can combo, her stunning abilities lead into a good metagame. She can edge guard well and she doesn't have just tether.

Flaminglink

Smash Journeyman
I wanna main toon link but i think too much ppl will be him XD

but it would be cool fighting other toon links i guess...

Heroic

Smash Cadet
tier list

I already converted this list of ratings into a 5 layered tier, with higher ranking characters to the left. Kirby is presumed to be mid tier for now, as he was high tier in SSB and low tier in SSBM.

Mid Tier: Zelda/Sheik, Pikachu, Ike, Ness, Sonic, Luigi, Peach, PT, Lucario, Kirby

While its true that DMbrandon is going to have some bias, he is an experienced melee player, and has played Brawl for many hours against other experienced players. He is likely to have a good idea of how characters pan out. I suspect that at least 2/3s of the characters will remain permanently in their given tiers, and that only 1 or 2 characters will change performance drastically enough to move up or down more than 1 tier.
hahaha, Zero suit Samus in bottom tier? I think not.

I have had the game for some time, and although I did not play extensively with all the characters, there are a few that me and my friends have tested thoroughly.

Zamus: Dmbrandon has omitted that she has another recovery in her down B, after what she can wall jump, and do another down b or tether. She may have the best combo ability in this game. After she stuned you with her down smash, she can basically do anything she wants with you. Her grabs easily tring combos, and she has a simple killing combo, like that of captain falcon in melee; down smash to forward B. Although I do not think she is broken, she can certainly place herself in top/high tier.

Wolf: my personal favorite. he cannot gimp kill with his shine, but it has high priority and it can be used to string combos. He is not too hard to trashkill though. Everyone of his moves are useful. Overall, I'd place him high tier.

Game and watch: this may be the most innacurate rating in all this list. his recovery is better now. His key has priority, no lag, and his parachute can be cancelled into it. It almost looks like he is pillaring. His Nair may not be a killing move now, but it can be used to combo, and he can kill with his down smash at like 80-90% O_o. He has many other killing moves as well, with high priority. definitely top tier.

Olimar: His grab is just too broken. it comes out lightning fast and it has no lag, with the range rivaling that of Samus's. He just has too much priority and power, and can string decent combos as well. His only real weakness is his recovery.

Kirby: He is WAY better in this game. his Dair has no lag, and spikes. all his moves are really fast, and his hammer his now an awesome killing move. he has more priority too. I'd say top or high tier. since there is no rating on him, i'll take the freedom to rate him myself. 8/10

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725

sonic in the same teir as luigi or zelda? for serious? not a chance, sonic is terrible, and the other two are great.

Falco fox and wolf top teir? I mean... they aren't bad... but they ain't the best... unless, of course, they are being played well because our list-maker was good with spacies in melee.

samus is NOT high teir with ZSS being bottom teir... it just ain't true. ans meta-knight ain't high teir either. this list isn't all wrong.... but it's not right either.... it's just a shot in the dark. I'll wager once a teir list comes out, this will look pretty silly.

wodan46

Smash Cadet
The list I made is based solely on Montage's Ratings, not my opinions or on tournament results. As I said before, DMbrandon is an experienced Melee player who has played Brawl for many hours against other experienced players, and thus I suspect he is right on most of the characters.

Here is how the Tiers were constructed:

Top Tier=9.5, 9.0, 8.5
High Tier=8.0
Mid Tier=7.5, 7.0
Low Tier=6.5, 6.0, 5.5
Bottom Tier=5.0, 4.5, 4.0

I suspect that most bottom tier characters will move to low tier, with ZZS or Yoshi possibly moving to Mid Tier, once their unorthodox abilities become more exploited.

Syroco

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, I actually found most of the characters pretty balanced, some do fall behind others, but not by much.

After playing for so long (few days after JP release) competitively, against my competitive friend, we both think this is the most balanced smash yet character wise. Any character can go against another character and have the fight not be too 1 sided or gimped.

edit: but yeah, the worst character noticeably, is Yoshi. But he is still good, if that makes sense?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
The list I made is based solely on Montage's Ratings, not my opinions or on tournament results. As I said before, DMbrandon is an experienced Melee player who has played Brawl for many hours against other experienced players, and thus I suspect he is right on most of the characters.

Here is how the Tiers were constructed:

Top Tier=9.5, 9.0, 8.5
High Tier=8.0
Mid Tier=7.5, 7.0
Low Tier=6.5, 6.0, 5.5
Bottom Tier=5.0, 4.5, 4.0

I suspect that most bottom tier characters will move to low tier, with ZZS or Yoshi possibly moving to Mid Tier, once their unorthodox abilities become more exploited.
I suppose I'm only semi-competative and I was only players... but really... it seems like he only got about half of them right... and I can't believe that my experiences are THAT wrong that they could be so far off. I mean.. I REALLY doubt that dmbrandon is an authority on every character... so I'm not about to believe his teir list... I mean teir lists are composed when some of the best with each character compile enough data for them... once person isn't enough to do this. especially when playstyle and chaarcter counters are so prominant.

wodan46

Smash Cadet
DMbrandon's opinion is probably accurate except the bottom characters, who will improve as people find techniques that balance them out. Ultimately, Tiers will be decided based on tournament results.

Even assuming that characters like ZZS or Yoshi are bottom tier, one can see the degree of balance present in Brawl compared to Melee:

--------------Brawl---- Melee
Top Tier-----7---------2
High Tier----7---------3
Mid Tier-----12--------7
Low Tier-----7---------6
Bottom Tier-6---------8

In Melee, 19% of characters were Top/High tier, in Brawl, 36% of characters are.
In Melee 56% of characters were Low/Bottom tier, in Brawl, 33% of character are

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom