• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Northern New Jersey, Brawl Tournament

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
Gaming World's 1st (actual competitive) Tournament we will singles and doubles.
This Saturday September 6th, registration will start at 12:00 pm and tourney to try and start by 1:00 pm. This one will be Single Elim

The Smash Community asked for it so a last minute tourney that we will set up.
A Super Smash Bros Brawl tournament, I'd appreciate an email from anyone planning on attending my tournament to email me with your intentions of attending or go to my website and look at the sign up page on my forums. This is to try and see how many people plan on attending so that I am better prepared. Thanks in advance and hope to see you there.

AIB is http://www.allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=2572

All In One Collectibles(Gaming World is inside)
490 East Main St. (Rt. 53)
Unit 4
Denville, NJ. 07834
(973)664-0912
visit www.1gamingworld.webs.com
Email- 1gamingworld@live.com

Venue Fee:
$5 spectator
1v1: $15
2vs2: $15 ($30 in total)

Prize:
Singles
1st - 60%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%

Doubles-
1st- 66%
2nd-33%
All prizes for this tournament will be given out in a Visa Gift Card.
Gaming World will be taking 35% of the pot

Like mentioned above tourney will start about 1 pm, registration starts at 12 pm.
This is a bring your own controller event, any standard controller is acceptable.

General Rules
* Items are set to OFF
* The stock is set to 3
* The stock time limit is set to 7:00.
* All sets are best of 3 matches except the championship set which is best of 5
* Ties will be broken by lives, then by percentage. If competitors are at the same percentage at time out, then the tie will be broken by a 1 stock on the same stage. In the event of another time out win goes to lower percentage.
If bowser suicide side-bs an opponent and the game registers a tie, the win goes to bowser automatically.
* Excessive stalling is banned.
* Life Stealing is allowed
* Set team attack to ON
* Wireless controllers are discouraged however all methods of play (e.g. classic controller) are allowed.
* Dave's Modified Stupid Rule: No stage may be used twice in a single set if the player choosing already won on that stage.
* Random Knock-Out: Each player may choose to eliminate 1 of the random stages to be chosen at the beginning of the set.
* Stage Banning: Each player may choose to eliminate 1 of the stages available for counterpicking.
* You are responsible to bring your own controller. Wireless controllers are highly discourage, if you can get a wired one bring it.
* Controller mods of ANY kind, except for cosmetic changes, are banned. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be disqualified from the tournament.
* Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. Third party controllers or pads that have these features are discouraged. if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer.
* Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them, or any glitch or trick that freezes the match or makes it in any way unfinishable are banned. Using them will result in the immediate forfeit of the match.
* Tactics such as Jigglypuff's Rising Pound or Fox's Shine are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match is banned.

Set Format (in order of procedure)
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match. You may request a double blind pick.
2. Each player may announce their Random and Counterpick stage elimination.
3. The first stage will be played at random from the Random Stage List, or opponents may agree upon a stage.
4. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Random Stage List or the Counter Stage List
5. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
6. The loser of the previous match chooses their character

Neutral Stages

Battlefield
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Yoshi's Island (Brawl)

Counterpick Stages

Luigi's Mansion
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Frigate Orpheon
Battleship Halberd
Pictochat
Pokemon Stadium 1
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Jungle Japes
Norfair

Banned Stages

Mushroomy Kingdom
Mario Circuit
Bridge of Eldin
Rumble Falls
Pokémon Stadium 2
Port Town
Wario Ware
New Pork City
The Summit
Shadow Moses Island
Skyworld
75m
Spear Pillar
Mario Bros.
Flat Zone 2
Electroplankton
Green Hill Zone
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Big Blue
Green Greens
Corneria
Temple
Jungle Japes
Onett
Pirate Ship
Distant Planet
All custom stages

Tbagz

Smash Journeyman
i live in south jersey, but if i can possibly get a ride with some one in my crew if no one is working ill probably be there

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
i live in south jersey, but if i can possibly get a ride with some one in my crew if no one is working ill probably be there
Because I'm new to all of this, when you say crew do you mean like you have a Smash Bros Crew or something like that?? It shows how much of Noob I'm at that Game, LOL. Well hope to see you there.

Tbagz

Smash Journeyman
Because I'm new to all of this, when you say crew do you mean like you have a Smash Bros Crew or something like that?? It shows how much of Noob I'm at that Game, LOL. Well hope to see you there.
yeah i mean like my crew thats what we call them in brawl. my crew of brawlers, lol.

i hope i can get there, no promises though.. as much as i would like to go =/

PenUmbra

Smash Apprentice
All prizes for this tournament will be given out in a Visa Gift Card.
Since people will be paying in cash, it'll be much easier to grab a calculator and do some calculations and hand the prize back in cash money. (I miss Yo momma.)

Protip: Have plenty of 5$ bills and other change ready. People will probably hand you a load of 20$s

Tbagz

Smash Journeyman
yeah bro, everyone wants cash prize, because everyone pays cash, not with a visa gift card, lol. =p

please make it cash, makes everyone happy, and things easier

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
yeah bro, everyone wants cash prize, because everyone pays cash, not with a visa gift card, lol. =p

please make it cash, makes everyone happy, and things easier

My partner has always told me one has to be careful with cash tournaments, and for future ones I probably won't have a problem. And trust me cash would be easier on me, because Gift Cards charge you some amount of money to put money on it. They work anywhere, and it's just as good as cash. I needed to honestly check on some things before I could do just cash, and I thought this should be an acceptable compromise. Plus if by the time of tournament I can come to an agreement and double check on some of the legal aspects of it, I would have no problem. I myself am a Gamer as well, different games and completely understand where you guys are coming from, but I haven't played in many tournaments where they give ya straight cash, now I'm not saying it isn't done. But being this is my first competitive tournament I wanted to make sure that everything was on the up and up. I don't want to sound like a Visa commercial, but you can use a GC for everything and everywhere, it's just as good minus the big wad of bills, LOL. Hope you guys understand why for the first one I have to be careful and double check on somethings.

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
Will be cash tournaments, I've double checked what I needed to, needed to make sure everything was on the up and up.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
ill try to come with velocity and vex

btw that is the WORST stage list EVER

the neturals are fine BUT counterpicks should be:
Battleship Halberd
Castle Seige
Delfino Plaza
Distant Planet
Frigate Orphenon
Norfair
Brinstar(Melee)
Pokèmon Stadium 1(Melee)
Rainbow Cruise(Melee)

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
i did notice that i made a mistake on the maps i just fixed, thanks for pointing it out.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
I'm coming if you guys do this again next week, for sure, 100%, and probably every weekend I can after that. $15 entry PLUS $5 venue is kinda steep though.

bigmac267

Smash Cadet
I'm coming if you guys do this again next week, for sure, 100%, and probably every weekend I can after that. $15 entry PLUS $5 venue is kinda steep though.
Unless I misread it, I think that you misunderstood the price. I believe that it's $15 a pop per tournament (singles and doubles, though you're free to enter only one) and the $5 is only if you're not playing, just watching- this is to discourage people from going and being in the way of the tournament without really contributing. This rule probably won't apply to the competitive tournament, as it seems that this type of problem usually only occurs on Friday (darn WOW, laptop computers, and the belief that you're not wasting your life if you are out on a Friday night even though you are communicating to the guy sitting next to you by typing- :urg:- long rant).

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
Yeah, I know what a venue fee means. <_<

I just wasn't sure if the $15 for singles/doubles was ONLY for entry, and you still had to pay that $5 venue fee.

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I know what a venue fee means. <_<

I just wasn't sure if the $15 for singles/doubles was ONLY for entry, and you still had to pay that $5 venue fee.
Not a venue fee, just a fee if you plan on coming just to watch. This is if you were just going to spectate.

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
To clarify (this should probably be in bold somewhere near the top of the first post), Is this tournament single or double elimination, or is it currently single elimination and you will change it to double elim based on the number of entrants.

My opinion: Charging 15 bucks for a single elim tournament is pretty steep and risky for a lot of players especially factoring in travel to this place so...yea.

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
To clarify (this should probably be in bold somewhere near the top of the first post), Is this tournament single or double elimination, or is it currently single elimination and you will change it to double elim based on the number of entrants.

My opinion: Charging 15 bucks for a single elim tournament is pretty steep and risky for a lot of players especially factoring in travel to this place so...yea.

I mentioned it before but for this tournament and until I get to know the community better this will be Single Elimination. If this becomes a regular tourney, we can make it double. But I've said single elimination since the beginning and that's what I understood with the people I talked to. But I as a compromise depending on time we might be able to do double elimination for just the singles but this will have to be something I see on the day of.

Rabidd

Smash Rookie
Oh man, thanks for doing this tourney. I live like a 10min walk from all in ones and participated in one of the friday night things before, never took it seriously. Me and a lot of the local kids are going to be going this saturday, we're totally psyched.

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
On another note is anyone come to this from anywhere near teaneck in bergen county. I got 4 (counting me) who need a ride to this, I'm hoping we could work something out.

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
On another note is anyone come to this from anywhere near teaneck in bergen county. I got 4 (counting me) who need a ride to this, I'm hoping we could work something out.
Taiki just in case you can't find a ride, you can take the train right to the Mt Tabor stop and we are literally no more than a block walk away. Hope to see ya there.

bigmac267

Smash Cadet
is friendly fire on for the 2v2 team matches?
I'm not sure about Saturday, but Raf told me that Friday will be working this way in a change since last week. I assume that Saturday will also work this way, especially since it is an SBR tournament.

BlackWaltzX

Smash Lord
I can drive Taiki and company if they don't mind messy cars.
I will be going I believe.

Note:: I'm not sure Taiki, find someone else just in case.

EDIT)) Only going if I can't get off on Friday.

bschung

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2981-6884-5065
Munk, i can drive you guys in case waltz can't, just PM me if need be. (I'm coming from Emerson...)

I will also bring a wii if there aren't enough, but a TV would be tough...

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
Munk, i can drive you guys in case waltz can't, just PM me if need be. (I'm coming from Emerson...)

I will also bring a wii if there aren't enough, but a TV would be tough...
I've said before I have 4 LCDs, 1 like 27-29' Tube TV, and then a little like 13' that could be used. But I mean 5 TVS going that's 10 people, I obviously am a Noob in terms of big Smash events, but that sounds pretty good to me. Let me know, cuz I wouldn't want anyone lugging a TV around for nothing, some you guys sound like experts so you guys decide.

Taiki

Smash Apprentice
Good looking out Blackwaltz and Bschung, really appreciate the offers, and it currently looks like we can't find other means of transportation. Let me know if there is anything we can do you repay you for the lift.

As for the TVs how much spare room do you have for people to bring TVs. Could you fit say at max an extra 3 TVs or...what?

_Yes!_

Smash Hero
Single elimination is garbage.

Make it double. People will hate you less if they lose $15 after losing 4 matches instead of losing 2. Paying $3.75 per round is much less gay than paying $7.50 per round.

Make it double. You don't need to "know the community." Enough people are telling you to make it double.

718_ROOKI3

Smash Lord
Nana locking Snake's all over New York City
Single elimination is garbage.

Make it double. People will hate you less if they lose $15 after losing 4 matches instead of losing 2. Paying $3.75 per round is much less gay than paying $7.50 per round.

Make it double. You don't need to "know the community." Enough people are telling you to make it double.

For real make it double elimination. There is nobody in the smash community that would agree n single elim. so please change it.

Gamingwolrd

Smash Journeyman
honestly, I've talked to other Smashers. And ones active in conversation with me has said that sometimes they don't even do double elim unless there's like 30 people. And that under that they do single. I get my info from smashers like you guys, and even though some prefer double elim, i've always said that this one will be single. Now I've left the door open saying that depending on how many people actually show up, maybe we can do singles as double elim, but as of right now I plan on running it singles. Some people tell me if I run double elim for both tourneys, that it could take up to 10 hours, and I wasn't expecting that, then later some people of said 6 hours. So if I run single elim this time I'll get a better idea for next time, because I'd have to start the tourney a little earlier to run a double elim tournament. Remember I started this tournament at the last second with no preparation at all, and it will be my first major tourney. Jigglymaster started all of this, LOL, but a bunch of you have helped me out and answered questions and some of you have taken the time to send me emails and help me try and make sure that this will be a fun event for all. On saturday I'll now better if we can at least do double for singles. I mean the plan right now for me, is start the doubles first, see if we can fly through it. Then after that before singles start, I can determine better if doubles is realistic. But if you decide to come to the tourney come thinking it will be Single Elim all the way through.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Jigglymaster started all of this, LOL
Indeed I did.

Anways, if were starting at 1pm we should have more than enough time to do double elim. Single elim sounds really scary in competitive tournys, I'll be there and then lose the first round and be gone in 10 minutes if I got unlucky with my opponent matchup. A lot of players get gay matchups and deserve a second chance.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Single Elimination wouldn't even be that bad if there was going to be proper seeding, but I'm assuming you're probably going to do random seeding (lol) which means that the two best players might be paired up pretty early. Double Elimination at least rebuffs this problem. I think our very best players are going to be at CH4 this week, so I'm not hyper worried about it personally, but it's still an issue.

And remember, if time is your issue, then a tourney with less people means double elimination will go faster, lol. If the tourney starts at one, then we'll definitely have PLENTY of time to do double elimination, since most tourneys that I have been to usually start after 4, and end around 11 - 12 pm. Once again, I emphasis how the speed of the tourney is greatly influenced by how well your venue can accommodate us.

Black Waltz and Bschung, the Zodiac Braves WILL remember your kindness. I believe only 4 or 5 (Munk, Umbra, R00ki3 and I . . . with perhaps Ryko) of our crew is coming, but if need be to leave more behind then we'll do what we must. How many can you accommodate?

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
Single Elimination wouldn't even be that bad if there was going to be proper seeding, but I'm assuming you're probably going to do random seeding (lol) which means that the two best players might be paired up pretty early. Double Elimination at least rebuffs this problem. I think our very best players are going to be at CH4 this week, so I'm not hyper worried about it personally, but it's still an issue.

And remember, if time is your issue, then a tourney with less people means double elimination will go faster, lol. If the tourney starts at one, then we'll definitely have PLENTY of time to do double elimination, since most tourneys that I have been to usually start after 4, and end around 11 - 12 pm. Once again, I emphasis how the speed of the tourney is greatly influenced by how well your venue can accommodate us.

Black Waltz and Bschung, the Zodiac Braves WILL remember your kindness. I believe only 4 or 5 (Munk, Umbra, R00ki3 and I . . . with perhaps Ryko) of our crew is coming, but if need be to leave more behind then we'll do what we must. How many can you accommodate?
The seeding could be good but that wouldn't stop say, a DDD player like me fighting an olimar first round and losing because of such a gay match up and being knocked out of the tournament... its like not even worth traveling to lolol if its single elm, sorry.

Top Bottom