• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Non-dragon Metroid character roles

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
He is the size of a mountain, and unlike Ridley, Kraid has ALWAYS been the same size.
Exactly.
And Sakurai and his team put some pretty good size comparisons in Melee
Kraid:

Ridley:

Hopefully this means Kraid will be made into a boss, and Ridley a Playable Character :grin:

SurooshX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SurooshX
Yeah if you also disregard what everyone says.
I'm not disregarding anyone. And, please, I'm not here to make enemies. Everyone is talking about Dark Samus as being a potential character just because it has a main role in the Prime games. First thing you guys have to take in: Japanese are very prone to motion sickness, so First Person games don'tusually go good with them. That's one reason Metroid Prime didn't do so well over there. Second: Japanese don't usually care for American developed games. If you haven't noticed, Sakurai doesn't give two ****s about the Prime games. Look at the Samus design. Look at his choice and design for the Prime stage. There are SO many places that are better potential stages than Frigate Orpheon -- not that I'm saying Frigate Orpheon isn't a cool location in Prime 1. It's awesome, but he made it look like crap. If you think it's a great stage and well designed in Brawl, then you're obviously amused easily.

Just my opinion.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I'm not disregarding anyone. And, please, I'm not here to make enemies.
Likewise :)

Everyone is talking about Dark Samus as being a potential character just because it has a main role in the Prime games.
That's not the only reason..You just keep assuming that. Dark Samus is awesome, it has many reasons to be in Brawl. I won't argue with you over that in here though..

First thing you guys have to take in: Japanese are very prone to motion sickness, so First Person games don'tusually go good with them.
Lol :chuckle:

That's one reason Metroid Prime didn't do so well over there.
Ok..

Second: Japanese don't usually care for American developed games. If you haven't noticed, Sakurai doesn't give two ****s about the Prime games.
Racist!

Look at the Samus design. Look at his choice and design for the Prime stage.
These are your repetive arguments, no? I believe he chose the more universal Samus, rather than choosing the Prime one(As you said, MP didn't become a smash hit over there..) And stop bringing up the Prime stage :ohwell:

There are SO many places that are better potential stages than Frigate Orpheon -- not that I'm saying Frigate Orpheon isn't a cool location in Prime 1.
That is your opinion, the frigate was pretty important in the game, and it didn't come out as bad as you say. IMO, the stage is freakin awesome.

It's awesome, but he made it look like crap. If you think it's a great stage and well designed in Brawl, then you're obviously amused easily.
What? It doesn't look like crap...And now you're insulting everybody who likes it?

Just my opinion.
Ok :)

RegalBuster

Smash Lord
Kraid: If Ridley can make it in, why not Kraid? He was a pretty awesome boss from Super Metroid (arguably the best installment in the series). Also, he appeared in Melee as a stage element in Brinstar Depths. This shows that Sakurai and friends know him. However, his level of popularity is nowhere the level of Ridley, which hurts his chances greatly (we all know Ridley's chances are nearly only caused by popularity). I think he would be a good Subspace boss, since it was his original role to being with, and he'd fin into the storyline just fine. Verdict: Boss

Dark Samus: A very interesting possibility for Prime representation. With the inclusion of Frigate Orpheon, it is evident that Sakurai cares about the Primes. It has already been proven that she can have a unique moveset, and not be a Samus clone. Dark Samus is a different entity from Samus. We all know what she really is. Also, a ''confrontation'' between Samus and Dark Samus would be an interesting idea for an even, and would be well implemented into Subspace. Verdict: Playable Character

Space Pirate: The perfect AT. It first appeared in a 2D game, which means it already knows how to move on a 2D plane (if that means anything). It can use both short-range and long-range attacks. He also plays an important part in the Metrod games, since it forms the main enemy faction. Not to mention that their insect-like appearence is unique and cool. Verdict: Assist Trophy

Hunter: The Hunters from the eponymous Metroid Prime game on the DS are an interesting addition to Smash. However, I don't see them making a battlefield appearence. The game suffers from being both too recent and not significant enough. While it revolutionized portable shooters, it's still not enough. The hunters won't be ATs or PCs. I don't see them as a trophy either, since the trophies represent Nintendo's history. MPH didn't make Nintendo history for the reasons mentioned above. But there will still be a nod to them in an easy to program role. Verdict: Sticker

Crocomire: He's pretty much deconfirmed as a stage hazard due to his abscense from the Norfair stage. I see him as a trophy, due to his relative importance as one of the Super Metroid bosses. Verdict: Trophy

Mother Bran: She first appeared in Super Metroid, and played a very important role. She used an extremely powerful laser that could very easily be used as a weapon that would make it a feared AT. Also, it would be easy to program her, since she doesn't move a lot, and evolves on a 2D plane (but does it matter?). Verdict: Assist Trophy

Thoughts?
Ridley will be pretty much the only other playable metroid rep.

Machspeed

Smash Lord
Ridley should be playable, but if not him, I'd like Trace to fill the second spot.
Would be awesome for him to turn into the insect for his FS.

antimatter

Smash Lord
@hunter haters:
and i think that you're crazy. they were in an UNDERRATED GAME! it was judged by the one player mode, but the main part to it was the multiplayer, something metroid fans are prejudiced against ,i've noticed. it revolutionized portable shooters, added new enemies to the metroid universe, and improved multiplayer from metroid prime 2: echoes. the enemies had new abilities that even samus couldnt copy. they deserve more than stickers. have any of you actually read info about the individual hunters, or do you just think they were cookie cutter bad guys put there for no good reason? they were a reminder to the fact that even though she works with the federation, she is truly a bounty hunter, and these were others like her going after an ultimate weapon for various reasons.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
No no, but I want Sylux to atleast make it as an assist trophy. I mean after all apparently he's got a good fan base if his ship showed up on the secret ending of Metroid Prime 3.

courte

Smash Lord
i nominate other stages of the Metroid lifeform, and i guess is this also a thread not in support of any other bounty hunters, at least not enough to warrant a separate section for each.

If any of them got in--Personally I feel
Weavel > Sylux
{W/ redesigned halfturret}

but I also feel

Ephraim > Marth

and we know how the board and FE nuts feel about that.

antimatter

Smash Lord
@shade
that, or retro just wants to tell his story for why he hates the feds and samus, have him destroyed, and never speak of him again... i think he's awesome, but you know they'll do that.

shadenexus18

Smash Master
NNID
ForteEXE1986
@shade
that, or retro just wants to tell his story for why he hates the feds and samus, have him destroyed, and never speak of him again... i think he's awesome, but you know they'll do that.
Pllllease Antimatter, say it isn't so bro! I don't want Sylux to be forgotten like the Koopa Kids!:( He's....too.....cool!

antimatter

Smash Lord
first of all, the name isnt capitalized. why? because i'm lazy. j/k
and, he wont be forgotten like the koopa kids. they at least were mentioned ten years later, just like geno. sylux wont be so lucky. if they killed off three bounty hunters in the only game they were in, they will easily kill sylux. i just will support him like i support dark samus.

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
@hunter haters:
and i think that you're crazy. they were in an UNDERRATED GAME! it was judged by the one player mode, but the main part to it was the multiplayer, something metroid fans are prejudiced against ,i've noticed. it revolutionized portable shooters, added new enemies to the metroid universe, and improved multiplayer from metroid prime 2: echoes. the enemies had new abilities that even samus couldnt copy. they deserve more than stickers. have any of you actually read info about the individual hunters, or do you just think they were cookie cutter bad guys put there for no good reason? they were a reminder to the fact that even though she works with the federation, she is truly a bounty hunter, and these were others like her going after an ultimate weapon for various reasons.
The games one player sucked, didn't add anything new to the Metroid universe at all. The hunters were merely put in there to serve as extra players, they had crappy backstories and all that game focused on was online play (Which was filled with hackers anyway). The Metroid universe NEVER needed OR relied on multiplayers at all, it was renowned for its amazing single player gameplay, and I dont think they made an entire game to remind her that she is a bounty hunter... especially since she went down there on request of the federation and not to find a bounty.

I'm not disregarding anyone. And, please, I'm not here to make enemies. Everyone is talking about Dark Samus as being a potential character just because it has a main role in the Prime games. First thing you guys have to take in: Japanese are very prone to motion sickness, so First Person games don'tusually go good with them. That's one reason Metroid Prime didn't do so well over there. Second: Japanese don't usually care for American developed games. If you haven't noticed, Sakurai doesn't give two ****s about the Prime games. Look at the Samus design. Look at his choice and design for the Prime stage. There are SO many places that are better potential stages than Frigate Orpheon -- not that I'm saying Frigate Orpheon isn't a cool location in Prime 1. It's awesome, but he made it look like crap. If you think it's a great stage and well designed in Brawl, then you're obviously amused easily.

Just my opinion.
You realize I agree with everything you just said?

Machete

Smash Ace

Just my opinion.
We're not saying that Dark Samus is a "potential" or "likely" character. Although I'd like to see her, I know she has very poor chances. But she's the only possible character besides Ridley. Who could be the third Metroid rep? A generic Space Pirate? (When the most important generic character ever, Toad, is not in?) MotherBrain? (all of us know that Sakurai should be desperate to add it). No, Dark Samus is the only viable choice besides Ridley.

Although Metroid is fine with only Ridley and Samus, IMO...

have any of you actually read info about the individual hunters, or do you just think they were cookie cutter bad guys put there for no good reason? they were a reminder to the fact that even though she works with the federation, she is truly a bounty hunter, and these were others like her going after an ultimate weapon for various reasons.
Yeah, they have cool and worked backstories. "I hate Samus and the GF without motive and I use illegal weapons!" or "I fought Samus and now I'm an evil robot!" or "Look at me! I have a sniper and I'm broken!".

Hunters is the worst Metroid game ever, and it doesn't deserve representation.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
I think Zero Suit Samus counts as the second Metroid rep in this retrospect even only being a transformation. It seems that there is always a second "ally" rep before adding a villainous one, and hence why I think Sakurai could have wanted to add her in.

antimatter

Smash Lord
Yeah, they have cool and worked backstories. "I hate Samus and the GF without motive and I use illegal weapons!" or "I fought Samus and now I'm an evil robot!" or "Look at me! I have a sniper and I'm broken!".

you were at least wrong about sylux. it isnt that he has no motive, its that it hasnt been shown yet. why do you think that ship was there at the end of mp3? they still have plans for him.
Hunters is the worst Metroid game ever, and it doesn't deserve representation.
doesnt even deserve representation? worst metroid game ever? that is purely a opinion. plus, if it really is the most played prime in japan, sakurai may put hunters in. in the end, its sakurai's opinion that matters most.

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
Yes it is and why would he put a character from the worst game in the series that his country doesn't like? I mean its regarded as worst by fans AND critics.

antimatter

Smash Lord
i'll never convince you, i'm outta here. sylux has a shot, whether you believe it or not. doesnt deserve representation my ***.

Ekul

Smash Journeyman
Ooh! You know what would be a good boss? the X. It would start out as just a regular enemy, and you would think "heh. Joke boss" but then, it would turn into harder and harder enemies, and eventually turn into a stronger faster you. (Like, your character with loads of stickers on it)

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
i'll never convince you, i'm outta here. sylux has a shot, whether you believe it or not. doesnt deserve representation my ***.
*Sigh* Believe what you want to believe I cant change your wrong opinion especially when you use "Doesn't deserve representation my ***" as an argument.

motsalogeL

Smash Lord
You cannot hide from me... er... unless your good at hiding that is... because er... then you can.

It seems that there is always a second "ally" rep before adding a villainous one, and hence why I think Sakurai could have wanted to add her in.
Not likely, if the opposite is true about Sakurai's own series. Kirby, the hero, and Meta Knight and King Dedede, who are his enemies. It all has to do with the number of viable candidates from a series, not just their status as a good guy or bad guy. If it so happens that most of the characters are villains, then so be it.

1. Meta Knight isn't Kirby's enemy.

2. On the subject of Kraid, he could be shrunk easily, but he would still be too awkward to play as.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
1. Meta Knight isn't Kirby's enemy.

2. On the subject of Kraid, he could be shrunk easily, but he would still be too awkward to play as.
1( He's been an antagonist for Kirby though...
2( Unless you mean Fake Kraid, who has less chance then Daisy, there's no way he can be resized, especially since in Melee, he was more big than ever. Resizing Kraid is like resizing Ezlo from the Minish Cap.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Kraid can't be shrunk out, and don't give me a "says so a Ridley supporter" crap. Unlike Ridley, Kraid has always, and will always be the size of a mountain, Ridley on the other hand has changed sizes, and changing his size doesn't make him... "less Ridley".

Kraid is just that, a big evil green mountain, make him smaller and he's not Kraid anymore.

D

Deleted member

doesnt even deserve representation? worst metroid game ever? that is purely a opinion. plus, if it really is the most played prime in japan, sakurai may put hunters in. in the end, its sakurai's opinion that matters most.
We really need to move away from the populairty thing, we just go in circle with it...

Anyway, Sylux could, and IMO should, appear in Smash this time. However, since we may better know him in a few years, expect him to be certainly playable in Smash 4 :laugh:.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
We really need to move away from the populairty thing, we just go in circle with it...

Anyway, Sylux could, and IMO should, appear in Smash this time. However, since we may better know him in a few years, expect him to be certainly playable in Smash 4 :laugh:.
Exactly :cool:
DS would be a better rep now IMO, seeing how she's a "Now or never character", and the fact
that she died
I hope for these 4 Metroid reps in SSB 4, Samus/Zamus, Ridley, DS and Sylux :p

D

Deleted member

Aye to that.

DS really has to be playable this time around. She just won't be relevant in several years, like what happens to Fire Emblem and LoZ supporting characters.

Machete

Smash Ace
Should? Not. He doesn't deserve anything. For Christ's sake, he's as important as the other hunters, he only appears as a cameo in one game and is playable in the worst game of the series.
Metroid won't have 4 characters, and 3 is highly unlikely.

Also, even if Sylux appears in more games in the future, he won't appear in SSB4. Dark Samus is the MAIN VILLAIN of the Prime subseries (and the Prime subseries revived Metroid) and she's extremely unlikely. Sylux won't be in a SSB game, he shouldn't. He DOESN'T DESERVE that.

Nothing from Hunters. Super Metroid-Zero Mission material with some Fusion and Prime material. That'd be perfect.

Matt Silver

Smash Journeyman
In a world where there is no Sakurai. Only Link...
Should? Not. He doesn't deserve anything. For Christ's sake, he's as important as the other hunters, he only appears as a cameo in one game and is playable in the worst game of the series.
Metroid won't have 4 characters, and 3 is highly unlikely.

Also, even if Sylux appears in more games in the future, he won't appear in SSB4. Dark Samus is the MAIN VILLAIN of the Prime subseries (and the Prime subseries revived Metroid) and she's extremely unlikely. Sylux won't be in a SSB game, he shouldn't. He DOESN'T DESERVE that.

Nothing from Hunters. Super Metroid-Zero Mission material with some Fusion and Prime material. That'd be perfect.
Your saying that now... What if Sylux ends up being the big bad villan in the next Metroid game (Cooler than Dark Samus). Then you might be changing your tune.

As unlikely as it is, Sylux might be a walking advertisement.

D

Deleted member

Also, even if Sylux appears in more games in the future, he won't appear in SSB4. Dark Samus is the MAIN VILLAIN of the Prime subseries (and the Prime subseries revived Metroid) and she's extremely unlikely. Sylux won't be in a SSB game, he shouldn't. He DOESN'T DESERVE that
Well actually you forgot Metroid II.

DS looks unlikely because she is a version of Samus. Sylux isn't, and its up to Ninty to decide what they want to do with him in a few years. If they make him out to be a rival character in future, then fine, he's unique.

Machete

Smash Ace
Your saying that now... What if Sylux ends up being the big bad villan in the next Metroid game (Cooler than Dark Samus). Then you might be changing your tune.

As unlikely as it is, Sylux might be a walking advertisement.
Dark Samus' series revived Metroid. Even if Sylux is the main antagonist in the next game (which I highly doubt) he'll never do something THAT important.

Also, right now, he's not a main antagonist, a rival or something. He's a filler character, and we don't want these **** in Brawl... right?

Well actually you forgot Metroid II.
Sylux didn't appear in Metroid II. :dizzy:

If the next Metroid game is 3D, we need a human-sized antagonist, that could be Sylux. But, again, he could be another Rundas.

If the next Metroid game is 2D, Ridley and MotherBrain are enough.

Top Bottom