• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No wired input.. How will we have large scale tournaments?

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
That's......kinda sad, tbh.
I'd have thought that we, as a community, would be able to police ourselves by doing our part to keep an eye out for such things.
Especially if we're nearby the equipment....
I wish that were the case. I really do. But I don't see any TOs putting up $500 for 10 controllers just to have half of em go missing. I think anyone would appreciate that, but some people have just been raised to look out for themselves and they don't typically care about other people or their things.

smashbrolink

Smash Journeyman
I wish that were the case. I really do. But I don't see any TOs putting up $500 for 10 controllers just to have half of em go missing. I think anyone would appreciate that, but some people have just been raised to look out for themselves and they don't typically care about other people or their things.
Well, ****, invite me next time.
Not even for competing; grant me free admittance and some sort of guarantee that there'll be at least a token force of people watching over stuff, and I'll go to the next EVO smash up just to donate gear to the event!XD

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Well, ****, invite me next time.
Not even for competing; grant me free admittance and some sort of guarantee that there'll be at least a token force of people watching over stuff, and I'll go to the next EVO smash up just to donate gear to the event!XD
I'd be all for that. We need people to step up and help TOs.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
It is going to be something that TOs will have to consider for sure. It could be that Sm4sh tournaments can only have a certain # of people, or have a certain # of setups active at one time.

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
We could all pray for a wired controller to come out, but then again theres only two usb ports so that only fixes 1 vs. 1 matches.

no, there's four. two in front, two in back. two are right next to the SD card slot and two are next to the power supply/HDMI ports

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I don't have a 3DS, but I would assume that the easiest would be to have several numbered two person tables set up (preferably near outlets) and the players choose to add a local friend and once the list populates with all the 3DSs in the room, you just ask the person sitting across from you what their tag is on their 3DS.

Molten Lava

Smash Cadet
NNID
LightSwitchTTM
the way that i see it is, we're kinda banking on nintendo releasing a wired version of the pro controller, but honestly, that's not unlikely. from now until SSB4's release is a looong time for them to release a type of controller. the four USB ports mean that the same type of play is readily available (1v1 and 2v2s), and it'll be practically the same thing. nothing to worry about.

if any issue is present, it'll be that the Wii U will have to take time to sync the controllers when plugged in, rather than the immediate port recognition we have now, which we'll just have to get over

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
Think of Smash 3DS tournaments, those should be fun to figure out...
Pokemon does it with their VGC series. I can even argue that the 3ds version will be EASIER to play on a large scale than the WiiU version if the issue of wireless controllers isn't fixed. If you're curious, look up how pokemon currently does it on DS, which they'll be continuing with XY this season.

Iwan

Smash Ace
Praxis brought this up a while ago and I don't see any immediate solution to the problem :/.

Someone mentioned tethering controllers to each console, and having tournament participants handing over their driver's license upon entering a venue. As lame as that sounds, that may be the only thing I can think of, and that sucks. Huge inconvenience for the TOs (that adds a lot to set up imo), and an inconvenience for the people attending tournaments as well...

This is why I have a hard time believing Sundance/MLG and Nintendo have already been talking about a mutual interest to have the game on the Pro Circuit. If Nintendo was behind that, this wouldn't be an issue going forward...

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Praxis brought this up a while ago and I don't see any immediate solution to the problem :/.

Someone mentioned tethering controllers to each console, and having tournament participants handing over their driver's license upon entering a venue. As lame as that sounds, that may be the only thing I can think of, and that sucks. Huge inconvenience for the TOs (that adds a lot to set up imo), and an inconvenience for the people attending tournaments as well...

This is why I have a hard time believing Sundance/MLG and Nintendo have already been talking about a mutual interest to have the game on the Pro Circuit. If Nintendo was behind that, this wouldn't be an issue going forward...
We also have to keep in mind that at the moment tethering the cords to the Wii U does nothing more than charge the controllers. They don't function as a "wired" controller when plugged in. Nintendo should be able to add that support in, but I don't think its a big deal to them. Unless of course this MLG thing requires them to do it.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
We also have to keep in mind that at the moment tethering the cords to the Wii U does nothing more than charge the controllers. They don't function as a "wired" controller when plugged in. Nintendo should be able to add that support in, but I don't think its a big deal to them. Unless of course this MLG thing requires them to do it.
The way I see it, either the fans or MLG will push for wired controller support. Now can anyone tell me if other console games at MLG use only wired controllers?

Calzum!

LC | Team Heir
Uh, I could definitely see how 700+ wireless controllers in a room could be a problem. There's a reason why wireless controllers are banned in large scale events, the controller setup and syncing/resyncing is much more of an issue than interference is.

>imply they'd be a 700+ turnout for Brawl2.0

you're a funny guy man, i like you

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
Well with Nintendo releasing the 2DS a wired controller isn't that far-fetched. Also if there can't be a tournament scene for Smash U it could thrive online assuming Smash U has good online.

Iwan

Smash Ace
Well with Nintendo releasing the 2DS a wired controller isn't that far-fetched. Also if there can't be a tournament scene for Smash U it could thrive online assuming Smash U has good online.
But jesus is Brawl's online an effing joke. Don't see how we can assume the next one will be any better. Mind you, this is with Brawl playing at a snail's pace...what if they actually make Smash Bros Wii U, you know, fast with a cool physics engine that allows for some of the craziness of melee? Unless the online play is REAL good, nearly any amount of input lag is just going to completely screw all of us over.

If this game is going to thrive online, they better nail it.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
But jesus is Brawl's online an effing joke. Don't see how we can assume the next one will be any better. Mind you, this is with Brawl playing at a snail's pace...what if they actually make Smash Bros Wii U, you know, fast with a cool physics engine that allows for some of the craziness of melee? Unless the online play is REAL good, nearly any amount of input lag is just going to completely screw all of us over.

If this game is going to thrive online, they better nail it.
I'm sure they've learned from their mistake and Mario Kart DS and Wii have shown Nintendo can do good online.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I'm sure they've learned from their mistake and Mario Kart DS and Wii have shown Nintendo can do good online.
Not necessarily. The thing with those games is that there are a lot fewer buttons to press in a racing game than in any fighting game.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Not necessarily. The thing with those games is that there are a lot fewer buttons to press in a racing game than in any fighting game.
This is very true. I have played COD online with the Wii U and I didn't notice any lag whatsoever.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Again; why not just have the tournament sponsors have a standard set of controllers per system for competitors to use instead of allowing them to use their own?
That would cut down on the problems by a significant margin, I would think, and I doubt it would really cause that much of an issue for them to use a pro controller other than their own....
People will break them

Zodiac

Smash Master
Again; why not just have the tournament sponsors have a standard set of controllers per system for competitors to use instead of allowing them to use their own?
That would cut down on the problems by a significant margin, I would think, and I doubt it would really cause that much of an issue for them to use a pro controller other than their own....
People will break them (Cool smashboards, double post)

Heefe

Smash Apprentice
Connect 4 Wii U's and each plays on the Wii U Controller Screen! :D

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Tekken for Wii U has fine online play... some lag here and there, and some lagless matches.. No reason that should be much different for Smash, so I don't think nintendo/Namco have an excuse if Smash's online is bad...

Also, Brawl online worked pretty well for me, but only when playing with set friends who knew how to configure their routers...

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
If the Wii U has some sort of controller boot system that would solve a lot of issues. OR if the controller uses a detachable battery it would probably work something like the 360 controller. On 360 you can remove the battery and use plug'n'play as a pseudo-wired controller. It still communicates wirelessly but because it can only be powered when plugged in you won't have sync issues.

Otherwise TO's will need to strictly enforce desyncing controllers. The only hope really is that Big N releases a wired version of the Pro.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
If the Wii U has some sort of controller boot system that would solve a lot of issues. OR if the controller uses a detachable battery it would probably work something like the 360 controller. On 360 you can remove the battery and use plug'n'play as a pseudo-wired controller. It still communicates wirelessly but because it can only be powered when plugged in you won't have sync issues.

Otherwise TO's will need to strictly enforce desyncing controllers. The only hope really is that Big N releases a wired version of the Pro.
They'd be better releasing a software update. I've already bought 2 Pros and I don't want to have to buy a wired.

Top Bottom