• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!

D

Deleted member

If they remade Mother 1, would anyone here be opposed to a Chapter system being implemented in the game like Mother 3 to give it a more cinematic feel? Just an idea that popped into my head, but I feel like for a lot of people that would be changing too much.
This would be really cool IMO. There could be 8 chapters for each of the 8 melodies!

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
If they remade Mother 1, would anyone here be opposed to a Chapter system being implemented in the game like Mother 3 to give it a more cinematic feel? Just an idea that popped into my head, but I feel like for a lot of people that would be changing too much.
I personally would not mind to see this implemented. I like both:

- The idea of Earthbound Beginnings keeping the open world aspects of it, where you're free to go wherever you want with little to no blocking of paths

- The idea taking Mother 3's chapter system, where we get eight chapters for each of the melodies. Just like Zack E. said.

I think that the Mother / Earthbound series is one of those franchises where you just can't screw it up when it comes to a remake. Specially if the creator is looking at everything and aproving it.

Imagine if they screw it up and we get a Mother 1 remake where Ness is the protagonist and Ninten doesn't exist.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
They should get Keiichi Suzuki, Hirokazu Tanaka, and Shogo Sakai to remake/arrange the music for the remakes!

D

Deleted member

For a Mother trilogy remake, in Mother 1 and Earthbound, they could even mix each style of Magicant. In Mother 1, Magicant is a sanctuary you always head back to (or at least I always head back to), and, in Earthbound, it's a place that exists in your mind, and it's pretty much the evil version of yourself you need to defeat, to become more powerful.

I wonder how a sort of mix of those styles would work, if they could.

They should get Keiichi Suzuki, Hirokazu Tanaka, and Shogo Sakai to remake/arrange the music for the remakes!
Now I just imagined Mother music in HD...*drools*

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
For a Mother trilogy remake, in Mother 1 and Earthbound, they could even mix each style of Magicant. In Mother 1, Magicant is a sanctuary you always head back to (or at least I always head back to), and, in Earthbound, it's a place that exists in your mind, and it's pretty much the evil version of yourself you need to defeat, to become more powerful.
I've always wanted to see what Lucas' version of Magicant is. And Ninten's as well, since we only got to see Queen Mary's version in Mother 1. The concept of exploring a character's mind leaves a lot of opportunity for heavy storytelling and symbolism, we learn a lot about Ness when we go into his Magicant in EarthBound. I feel like Lucas would have a lot of demons haunting him in Magicant, it must be a tragic place.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I've always wanted to see what Lucas' version of Magicant is. And Ninten's as well, since we only got to see Queen Mary's version in Mother 1. The concept of exploring a character's mind leaves a lot of opportunity for heavy storytelling and symbolism, we learn a lot about Ness when we go into his Magicant in EarthBound. I feel like Lucas would have a lot of demons haunting him in Magicant, it must be a tragic place.
Now that's an interesting concept I'd never considered.

Given how Ness' Magicant is a metaphor for his innocence (at least initially), I wonder if maybe Lucas doesn't even have one, given his life.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
GUYS, GUYS!!
Okay, listen up. So I introduced Mother to a friend and I watch him play Mother 1 (with the 25th anniversary edition patch for his own sake) and he only ever plays when I watch him. (we use Discord and he share-screens the game)

Now I played Mother 1 5 times. But my friend used Teleport and he turned around while Ninten and company where running.

I NEVER KNEW ABOUT THIS!!!

YOU CAN ACTUALLY TURN AROUND MID TELEPORTATION?!
I thought that they wouldn't add that small detail, my mind has been expanded!

Now that's an interesting concept I'd never considered.

Given how Ness' Magicant is a metaphor for his innocence (at least initially), I wonder if maybe Lucas doesn't even have one, given his life.
I agree! Even since I played the first game and saw how Magicant was this world that consisted of your subconcious, I've wondered how other Magicants look like? Do only PSI users have one? How different can they be? How is Queen Mary's Magicant not leaving you naked and what kind of item is the Onyx Hook? Who made it?

It's incredible to think about, specially because (S-S-S-S-SPOILER ALERT) Maria was Queen Mary all this time and she was keeping herself alive with her own Magicant. Not only that, but her Magicant made those strange stones in the real world that are used to transport into her Magicant, can all Magicants do that? And by extension, I guess that means that not only George discovered how to use PSI, but Maria as well, as I doubt a non PSI person would be able to do such things, much less communicate with Ninten mid-fight against Giegue after being reunited with George.

TheBeastHimself

Someone recognized me as Ninten and got super excited.

I’m so happy.
The more people learn "hey, there's a 3rd EarthBound boy???" I'm sure Ninten awareness and support will continue to increase. I haven't heard people talk this much about Ninten in a long time, I'm glad he's got dedicated fans!

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
The more people learn "hey, there's a 3rd EarthBound boy???" I'm sure Ninten awareness and support will continue to increase. I haven't heard people talk this much about Ninten in a long time, I'm glad he's got dedicated fans!
A lot of things are in Ninten's favor, to the point where someone created a 300 slide PowerPoint to explain how likely he is for DLC.

PSIRailway

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I just realized something. What if Ninten wears a bandana to prevent the inhalation of dust, smoke, and other substances that could irritate his asthma? Like, that's the practical function of a bandana (besides looking fabulous as hell) and I can't believe nobody else has noticed this (including me, hot damn)

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Hey guys, I just realized something. What if Ninten wears a bandana to prevent the inhalation of dust, smoke, and other substances that could irritate his asthma? Like, that's the practical function of a bandana (besides looking fabulous as hell) and I can't believe nobody else has noticed this (including me, hot damn)
I actually thought of that a while ago and may or may not be using that as a reference for one of my final senior projects.

But yes I quite like that idea. :)

PSIRailway

Smash Cadet
I actually thought of that a while ago and may or may not be using that as a reference for one of my final senior projects.

I just feel like my eyes have been opened because it took me so long to realize this, like, I feel absolutely woke

D

Deleted member

I found the Twitter account of a Japanese Mother fan who creates some really nice looking fanart, I really look their art style. Also, their Ninten drawings are amazing: https://twitter.com/racomusubi
Heartwarming fanart, and Mr. Saturn with a bandana is one of the best things ever, which leads me to my next idea...

what if a Mother 1 remake put a secret area with Mr. Saturn?

I love the idea too. It could be a piece of equipment and receive upgrades, which brings me to even another idea - more shops in a Mother 1 remake, and specifically for defensive equipment. The only place to get the defensive equipment in Mother 1 is Magicant, and I think it'd be cool if there were more shops for that.

PSIRailway

Smash Cadet
Heartwarming fanart, and Mr. Saturn with a bandana is one of the best things ever, which leads me to my next idea...

I love the idea too. It could be a piece of equipment and receive upgrades, which brings me to even another idea - more shops in a Mother 1 remake, and specifically for defensive equipment. The only place to get the defensive equipment in Mother 1 is Magicant, and I think it'd be cool if there were more shops for that.
Yeah, I think that more gear options available in shops would be nice. Gear could vary from town to town too and there could be different specialized sets in different towns. Maybe you could even use amiibos to get unique gear sets for each character that give the characters certain buffs. Like, you could scan a Teddy amiibo and get his outfit and you'd be able to equip it to any of the characters, but equipping it to Teddy himself would give him buffs? Sorry if this makes no sense, it's 1:30 in the morning and I just got back from some extraordinarily ****ty cast and crew party at ihop for our school play and I feel like absolute ****e lol. As for a bandana item, I think that would be really cool. There could be varying levels of bandanas and the better type you have, the higher your chances are of preventing asthma attacks (plus some additional effects, maybe)

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408

More shops in a Mother 1 remake, and specifically for defensive equipment. The only place to get the defensive equipment in Mother 1 is Magicant, and I think it'd be cool if there were more shops for that.
This would be a good idea when it comes to content that was not in the previous game. I previously said a few pages ago that they could add to the game so that it's not only just the same game with nothing new while also enhancing the experience and the world of Mother 1 itself.
I think that secret areas a great idea! Maybe have a new cave somewhere that leads into a location with Mr. Saturns, just like Earthbound and Mother 3.

There could even be a few new houses, NPC's or even a new town in the main overworld. I think that no matter what, it would be something new and refreshing and I doubt that anyone would dislike it. As long as it's nothing controversial then it's very welcome!

I do agree that there's even some towns that are barely being used for anything, it would be nice to see those having shops and other useful things (along with looking more unique). For Magicant, maybe instead of having multiple small houses with free heals, have a bigger house where a portion of the village in Magicant lives in. And they always have rooms and beds for visitors and anyone who needs somewhere to rest. (Pretty much like the Yado Inn from Mother 3, but pink and more... magicant-like).
Same for the three people who sell stuff in three different houses, instead make it be one single building of three brothers who sell you stuff, but they only sell good equipment, not the BEST equipment. To make up for them not having the best armor and accesories, make them able to sell stuff like PSI stones and consumable items in general at a good price, they could even implement new consumable items into the game. That way you make Magicant and some of the NPC's on there more unique instead of having them and their houses look the same.

They can still leave the "man" "woman" and even "child" NPC's for most of the other locations in Mother 1, but I think Magicant should consist of unique characters. Specially when you see that a lot of the NPC's in Magicant help you in MANY different ways, from providing any service you need to giving you items that are very useful to you. They don't have to be anything too complex, just a huge improvement over how they looked in the original game.
They did it with Breath of the Wild, so I bet they can do it for Mother 1.

Speaking of Magicant, I wouldn't mind if they made it bigger or if they changed it a bit. Like changing the layout and adding new stuff to make it prettier and more unique. Magicant's overworld is kinda empty and could make more use of things in the map like the water, bridges, trees, etc. Mainly to make it a more dream-like location and to make it one that you enjoy exploring and looking at overall. Cuz let's be real, if they kept the layout of the original game it would look a bit... boring. (Even in Smash Ultimate it looks a bit different and better overall)
They basically use the water and trees as the way to tell you "this is where the map ends". It would be cool to see something like a lake or having parts with more water, so there's more bridges (specially cuz I always saw the water as this pristine, bioluminescent water. This would also give them room to add aquatic-themed enemies). Same for the trees, which are just copy pasted repeatedly on the south-west side of Magicant. They would be better being randomly growing here and there around the map, though they can still keep the area where there's a lot of them.
And just in case I have to mention it, as I said before, I hope that the buildings and houses are more unique and bigger. Would be awesome to see the way those houses look but bigger and like an actual house that someone lives in with windows and everything. That would mean they would look a bit like onions but that just sounds way better than them being very tiny "houses".

I could talk about each and every other town, but I don't wanna make this any longer. To put things shorts, I think it would be great if the towns each had different elements that made them unique (apart from what they have already).
I don't think I can find the words to say an example without going into a lot of detail with it. Try to imagine things, buildings, styles and colors from locations that you know that makes that location recognizable compared to some other locations that you know.
It's hard to explain, specially cuz am currently a bit tired and I've already typed a lot and I wanna go to sleep.

Hope it wasn't too tedious or boring to read through this and sorry for any weird sentences, am tired. Goodnight! See you guys in like... 10 or so hours!

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Not 100% Ninten related obviously but...

A certain someone had their render leaked on Best Buy.

326A67F0-CBE8-4913-BE5B-9DD1A902B20B.jpeg

A direct in the next two weeks (probably this week) is practically inevitable in my opinion.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Hello Everyone!

Just thought I'd throw in some periphery support for Ninten at this point. I haven't always been his biggest supporter (And I suppose I might have even been a tad against him at points in the past), but I will say I had an insightful chat with Zack E. not too long ago with regards to Ninten and he helped sell me a bit on the idea of Ninten in Smash and how he could be genuinely unique. You all seem to be doing some decent work on expanding the community or at least actively engaging in discussions about him to the outside world. If you know me from other threads you know I ere a bit on the side of caution when looking at picks for the roster and tend to not be super keen on any individual character's specific chances (We really just don't know much about DLC besides Joker), but again, I'd like to maybe take a little more involvement with this particular community.

Full disclaimer, I've barely touched upon Mother and generally only know it from Smash. I love what's it gotten in Smash so far and it's one of the few series that feels genuinely well represented to me, even with its more niche status compared to the Mario's and Zelda's of the world. I've been working on my senior thesis for what seems like forever in college and I'm about a day out from having it mostly finished, so I'm hoping to come back to start up a new game to play and I was thinking it might be time for me to do an Earthbound playthrough to really see what all of the fuss has always been about. If I do move toward that, I hope to talk with you all while I experience that as well.

D

Deleted member

Yeah, I think that more gear options available in shops would be nice. Gear could vary from town to town too and there could be different specialized sets in different towns. Maybe you could even use amiibos to get unique gear sets for each character that give the characters certain buffs. Like, you could scan a Teddy amiibo and get his outfit and you'd be able to equip it to any of the characters, but equipping it to Teddy himself would give him buffs? Sorry if this makes no sense, it's 1:30 in the morning and I just got back from some extraordinarily ****ty cast and crew party at ihop for our school play and I feel like absolute ****e lol. As for a bandana item, I think that would be really cool. There could be varying levels of bandanas and the better type you have, the higher your chances are of preventing asthma attacks (plus some additional effects, maybe)
This would be a good idea when it comes to content that was not in the previous game. I previously said a few pages ago that they could add to the game so that it's not only just the same game with nothing new while also enhancing the experience and the world of Mother 1 itself.
I think that secret areas a great idea! Maybe have a new cave somewhere that leads into a location with Mr. Saturns, just like Earthbound and Mother 3.

There could even be a few new houses, NPC's or even a new town in the main overworld. I think that no matter what, it would be something new and refreshing and I doubt that anyone would dislike it. As long as it's nothing controversial then it's very welcome!

I do agree that there's even some towns that are barely being used for anything, it would be nice to see those having shops and other useful things (along with looking more unique). For Magicant, maybe instead of having multiple small houses with free heals, have a bigger house where a portion of the village in Magicant lives in. And they always have rooms and beds for visitors and anyone who needs somewhere to rest. (Pretty much like the Yado Inn from Mother 3, but pink and more... magicant-like).
Same for the three people who sell stuff in three different houses, instead make it be one single building of three brothers who sell you stuff, but they only sell good equipment, not the BEST equipment. To make up for them not having the best armor and accesories, make them able to sell stuff like PSI stones and consumable items in general at a good price, they could even implement new consumable items into the game. That way you make Magicant and some of the NPC's on there more unique instead of having them and their houses look the same.

They can still leave the "man" "woman" and even "child" NPC's for most of the other locations in Mother 1, but I think Magicant should consist of unique characters. Specially when you see that a lot of the NPC's in Magicant help you in MANY different ways, from providing any service you need to giving you items that are very useful to you. They don't have to be anything too complex, just a huge improvement over how they looked in the original game.
They did it with Breath of the Wild, so I bet they can do it for Mother 1.

Speaking of Magicant, I wouldn't mind if they made it bigger or if they changed it a bit. Like changing the layout and adding new stuff to make it prettier and more unique. Magicant's overworld is kinda empty and could make more use of things in the map like the water, bridges, trees, etc. Mainly to make it a more dream-like location and to make it one that you enjoy exploring and looking at overall. Cuz let's be real, if they kept the layout of the original game it would look a bit... boring. (Even in Smash Ultimate it looks a bit different and better overall)
They basically use the water and trees as the way to tell you "this is where the map ends". It would be cool to see something like a lake or having parts with more water, so there's more bridges (specially cuz I always saw the water as this pristine, bioluminescent water. This would also give them room to add aquatic-themed enemies). Same for the trees, which are just copy pasted repeatedly on the south-west side of Magicant. They would be better being randomly growing here and there around the map, though they can still keep the area where there's a lot of them.
And just in case I have to mention it, as I said before, I hope that the buildings and houses are more unique and bigger. Would be awesome to see the way those houses look but bigger and like an actual house that someone lives in with windows and everything. That would mean they would look a bit like onions but that just sounds way better than them being very tiny "houses".

I could talk about each and every other town, but I don't wanna make this any longer. To put things shorts, I think it would be great if the towns each had different elements that made them unique (apart from what they have already).
I don't think I can find the words to say an example without going into a lot of detail with it. Try to imagine things, buildings, styles and colors from locations that you know that makes that location recognizable compared to some other locations that you know.
It's hard to explain, specially cuz am currently a bit tired and I've already typed a lot and I wanna go to sleep.

Hope it wasn't too tedious or boring to read through this and sorry for any weird sentences, am tired. Goodnight! See you guys in like... 10 or so hours!
Nah, I really love these ideas. They just make me hungrier for Ninten as DLC and a Mother 1 remake lmao.

Not 100% Ninten related obviously but...

A certain someone had their render leaked on Best Buy.

View attachment 203023

A direct in the next two weeks (probably this week) is practically inevitable in my opinion.
I never saw this coming.

Hello Everyone!

Just thought I'd throw in some periphery support for Ninten at this point. I haven't always been his biggest supporter (And I suppose I might have even been a tad against him at points in the past), but I will say I had an insightful chat with Zack E. not too long ago with regards to Ninten and he helped sell me a bit on the idea of Ninten in Smash and how he could be genuinely unique. You all seem to be doing some decent work on expanding the community or at least actively engaging in discussions about him to the outside world. If you know me from other threads you know I ere a bit on the side of caution when looking at picks for the roster and tend to not be super keen on any individual character's specific chances (We really just don't know much about DLC besides Joker), but again, I'd like to maybe take a little more involvement with this particular community.

Full disclaimer, I've barely touched upon Mother and generally only know it from Smash. I love what's it gotten in Smash so far and it's one of the few series that feels genuinely well represented to me, even with its more niche status compared to the Mario's and Zelda's of the world. I've been working on my senior thesis for what seems like forever in college and I'm about a day out from having it mostly finished, so I'm hoping to come back to start up a new game to play and I was thinking it might be time for me to do an Earthbound playthrough to really see what all of the fuss has always been about. If I do move toward that, I hope to talk with you all while I experience that as well.
Thanks for the support dude!

TheBeastHimself

Hello Everyone!

Welcome! I'm glad to see your support, my friend. You always provide a very insightful discussion so seeing you in this thread more often will definitely be great!

If you're just getting started with the Mother series, allow me to give you some pointers before you get started. I feel it would be ideal for you to know this information before hopping in because the Mother series can be a bit confusing when you first look at it, almost like the Star Wars movies. Forgive me if you already know some of this stuff. The first thing to know is that there are 3 games in the series, called Mother in Japan and EarthBound everywhere else:

1. Mother/EarthBound Beginnings: Ninten (NES)

2. Mother 2/EarthBound: Ness (SNES)

3. Mother 3: Lucas (GBA)

Each game has a self-contained story, and while there are references to past games here and there, it's nothing major so you can start playing any game and understand what's going on. The only thing I would recommend is playing EarthBound before Mother 3. I also suggest you check out this site: https://earthboundcentral.com/newcomers-guide/

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Hello Everyone!

Welcome!!
I hope you enjoy your experience in this thread, it's always wonderful to see more people interested to see Ninten from Mother 1 as DLC!

Whenever you're able to give the Mother / Earthbound games a try, if you're planning to start with the first game I recommend you use the 25th anniversary patch. It enhances the graphics of the game, makes things more colorful, decorates the game, makes more use of some underused songs, decreases encounter rate and increases the EXP and money that you get from enemies.
It's pretty easy to patch as well! You just need to download Lunar IPS, the patch (which you can download here: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2211/ ), the emulator (I use FCEUX) and the game (which I bet is fairly easy to find and download).
In the case you have never used Lunar IPS, when you use it, it asks you what rom you wanna patch and what patch you wanna use. Pretty straight to the point.

Also, in the case you are starting with the first game, wether you play the game with or without the patch, don't feel discouraged to use a guide in case you ever get stuck!
I used a guide the first time I played Mother 1, I always used it when I wasn't completely sure where to go or what to do. Here it is! http://walkthrough.starmen.net/earthbound0/

Once again, welcome to the thread! Hope everything goes well for you with college and I hope you enjoy playing through the Mother / Earthbound series once you're done with your senior thesis in college! c:

D

Deleted member

I woke up this morning to see this change.

APRIL FOOLS DAY IT IS

Discussing Mother 3 localization and Mother remasters with these Reggie profile pictures looks hilarious
Reggie is now everyone. So if we say a Mother trilogy remake or Mother 3 localization is happening, it's happening!

Last edited by a moderator:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
"I Reggie Fils Amie am happy to announce Mother 3 as well as Ninten for Smash."

"Now leave me alone."

Last edited:

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ATTENTION ALL EARTHBOUND FANS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
ATTENTION ALL EARTHBOUND FANS.png
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - MOTHER IS READY - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

TheBeastHimself

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ATTENTION ALL EARTHBOUND FANS . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -View attachment 203634- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - MOTHER IS READY - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Okay that "attention all earthbound fans" was eerily similar to this:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -View attachment 203634- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Okay that "attention all earthbound fans" was eerily similar to this:

God I love this thread.

Top Bottom