• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!

Auraseth

Smash Rookie
It's all good. I think I'll have it done in the next couple days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EG4hGSdtVM&feature=youtu.be

Also here's the vid. The leak is in the description.

Oh man the first Ninten powerpoint. Heh yeah. I was one of the admins in his Discord at that time. And yeah, it isn't all bad since modding his server gave me the confidence to post on here.
Thanks for the link! I gotta say it wasn't completely unrealistic.... A trilogy of all the games rolled into one, in HD I'd definitely be happy with that! Idk how reliable he sources are ( probably not very) but I did enjoy the video thanks again!

PSIRailway

Smash Cadet
It's all good. I think I'll have it done in the next couple days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EG4hGSdtVM&feature=youtu.be

Also here's the vid. The leak is in the description.

Oh man the first Ninten powerpoint. Heh yeah. I was one of the admins in his Discord at that time. And yeah, it isn't all bad since modding his server gave me the confidence to post on here.
Welp, looks like we'll just have to wait and see how this turns out. I gotta say, this would be one ****ing hell of a direct if this leak is true and I do think that it's a nice little send off for Reggie. Now I guess it's time to rot away in my room, anxiously awaiting for the next direct to be announced :'D

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Yeah! That would be awesome!
Maybe Nintendo will think "Hey, these characters people saw as not likely are selling well! Let's schedule some more in the future!".

Maybe we'll get another set of unique DLC fighters, we could also get cheaper one of echo fighters for characters from series like F-Zero, who you can't base their moves on much, for obvious reasons. (Not to mention that, as I've said before, echoes are looking kinda really good anyways)

If this is the case, we could get Ninten, Porky and maybe even Claus! (Who has grown on me a lot XD)
If they are planning to add more than 5 characters, then it's very likely we'll also be getting other characters who are known for being very requested like Geno and Bandana Dee, too. Geno specially.
Claus is a good boy and needs all the love and support he can get. :3 As unlucky as it is, if both Claus AND Ninten get in? I'd never beg Sakurai for anything again. Cept maybe Geno lulz

Thanks for the link! I gotta say it wasn't completely unrealistic.... A trilogy of all the games rolled into one, in HD I'd definitely be happy with that! Idk how reliable he sources are ( probably not very) but I did enjoy the video thanks again!
Welp, looks like we'll just have to wait and see how this turns out. I gotta say, this would be one ****ing hell of a direct if this leak is true and I do think that it's a nice little send off for Reggie. Now I guess it's time to rot away in my room, anxiously awaiting for the next direct to be announced :'D
Yeah, I don't think it's real in the slightest, since Lax almost always goes for low hanging fruit when it comes to leaks. But I really would love to see a Reggie send off with the Mother games being announced.

>LaxChris
If he didn't pull the info out of his butt, at least it'll be a case of a broken clock being right twice a day.
Funny thing about Chris. I don't think he's ever gone over or even believed a real leak. He also doesn't make up any of the leaks which might come to the shock to many. Though, I do know that most of the leaks he goes over are sent in by kids on his Discord. Though the funniest thing that I've seen happen was him going over a leak that was made by one of my friends to trick him into going over it and he believed it was real.

Source: I was an admin on his Discord for six months. Oh the stories I could share.

Last edited:

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
Uh, hi again. I just wanted to share this concept I made for Ninten as an Echo Fighter. I've discussed some of these before, but I thought it would be better to properly visualize it. Hope y'all enjoy.

(Hopefully, these images don't break...)

By the way, I'm looking forward to that PowerPoint, Anigriffin.

PSIRailway

Smash Cadet
Uh, hi again. I just wanted to share this concept I made for Ninten as an Echo Fighter. I've discussed some of these before, but I thought it would be better to properly visualize it. Hope y'all enjoy.

This is pretty heckin cool! As much as I want Ninten to be unique, I'd honestly be fine if he were an echo with a moveset like this. It's similar enough to make him an echo while still being able to differentiate him and show that he's a totally different character from Ness.

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
I'd love a Mii Mage! Smash needs more mage characters
Mii Mage would kinda feel like a retread of Gunner, tbh. Gunner already has Ness and Zelda-inspired moves, and a few magic-themed costumes. All they need is a Gunner costume that straight up doesn't uave a gun, and they're all set.

If you ask me, the next step Mii Fighters could take is giving them movesets based directly on other fighters, like a Mario or Robin with a Mii's face. Everyone's an Echo Fighter.

D

Deleted member

Claus is a good boy and needs all the love and support he can get. :3 As unlucky as it is, if both Claus AND Ninten get in? I'd never beg Sakurai for anything again. Cept maybe Geno lulz

Yeah, I don't think it's real in the slightest, since Lax almost always goes for low hanging fruit when it comes to leaks. But I really would love to see a Reggie send off with the Mother games being announced.

Funny thing about Chris. I don't think he's ever gone over or even believed a real leak. He also doesn't make up any of the leaks which might come to the shock to many. Though, I do know that most of the leaks he goes over are sent in by kids on his Discord. Though the funniest thing that I've seen happen was him going over a leak that was made by one of my friends to trick him into going over it and he believed it was real.

Source: I was an admin on his Discord for six months. Oh the stories I could share.
Reggie giving a Mother trilogy remake as a send off would just make me...so happy lmao

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Almost done fixing my Ninten cosplay. Thank god.

Aaaaah you're the artist that made my current pfp AAAAHHHH. Nice to meet you! I love your style of Ninten!

As much as I'm not a huge fan of Ninten being an echo since the kid's got a lot of potential, I actually really like this interpretation since it still embodies his Mother 1 abilities without making him 100% like Ness. That Yo-Yo alteration is actually really clever, and his PSI being green is a great contrast to his bold and bright color palatte.
You also get 10 points for the Flying Man alt. :4pacman:

Oh jeez I was actually just gonna make an obnoxiously long NinTED talk post lulz. Though I could maybe configure it into another slideshow if I have the time.

Last edited:

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
Almost done fixing my Ninten cosplay. Thank god.

Aaaaah you're the artist that made my current pfp AAAAHHHH. Nice to meet you! I love your style of Ninten!

As much as I'm not a huge fan of Ninten being an echo since the kid's got a lot of potential, I actually really like this interpretation since it still embodies his Mother 1 abilities without making him 100% like Ness. That Yo-Yo alteration is actually really clever, and his PSI being green is a great contrast to his bold and bright color palatte.
You also get 10 points for the Flying Man alt. :4pacman:

Oh jeez I was actually just gonna make an obnoxiously long NinTED talk post lulz. Though I could maybe configure it into another slideshow if I have the time.
His alts are the thing I'm most proud of, honestly. I could actually see the Flying Man alt actually getting in.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!

I also think this is super cool! To me, Ninten is a character than can function as both an echo and unique character. I'd be fine with either one, and this gave me more reason to appreciate an echo version of him if we ever got that.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I love this.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
As much as I'd like the stuff in the leak, I'm pretty sure it's fake just by the first few sentences being typical of fake leakers.

I don't get why LaxChris can't get money some other way, though does he actually consider all of these/believe them or is he faking how he feels? I'm leaning towards the latter.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As much as I'd like the stuff in the leak, I'm pretty sure it's fake just by the first few sentences being typical of fake leakers.

I don't get why LaxChris can't get money some other way, though does he actually consider all of these/believe them or is he faking how he feels? I'm leaning towards the latter.
Oh yeah it's definitely probably 100% fake. I just love looking at leaks with anything I want in them, no matter whether they are real or fake lmao

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

I can guarantee that the leak itself is bs, but that doesn’t mean some of the content in the leak won’t come to fruition in some form since that happens quite often with these kinds of posts. They’re all guesses pretty much.

As for Chris’s content, as strange as it sounds, he’s actually trapped in this strange purgatory in a way. He’s done just leaks for so often that anything he uploads that isn’t a leak such as his Wind Waker vid gets hardly any views. If he completely changed his content around the time he uploaded the Ninten vid (which got a decent amount of views to my surprise.) he probably wouldn’t be stuck in this vacuum. Even then he does live-streams more often which lets people donate to him directly so honestly he’s not gonna change what works even if it is scummy to most viewers. It honestly pisses me off because I know he could’ve been a better Youtuber, but at this point it’s really too late.

As for how he feels about leaks, It's a bit of both of what you said. Some he genuinely believes, others he just posts because he knows that Shantae and Geno gets clicks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And yeah, just to clarify, the leak itself being fake is what I was referring to. I'm still confident about our boy and a Mother trilogy remake.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Okay so for the final recap, do you guys want a powerpoint or a comically long post that could take up an entire page of this thread?

PSIRailway

Smash Cadet
Ok so guys, I had another thought that I don't know if you've brought up yet but it came to mind for me a while ago. You know how in the datamine leak Brave comes with a Dragon Quest stage? Well, I feel like Brave could be Ninten but he comes with a Dragon Quest stage since Mother already has so much stage representation. There's no written law saying that a fighter pass character has to come with a stage from their own game, so what if Nintendo throws in the Dragon Quest stage just for a bit of extra representation while Ninten gets the spot as DLC? I think that it could work seeing as Dragon Quest and Mother are both JRPG franchises that are very similar to each other and Dragon Quest fans will at least be happy that they get some form of representation (and who knows, Erdrick could be DLC later on if Nintendo ends up filling those 15 extra character slots). As much as I would love a new Mother stage, I feel like Nintendo might do something like what I mentioned. I dunno, just a thought I had that I thought I'd bring up ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Ok so guys, I had another thought that I don't know if you've brought up yet but it came to mind for me a while ago. You know how in the datamine leak Brave comes with a Dragon Quest stage? Well, I feel like Brave could be Ninten but he comes with a Dragon Quest stage since Mother already has so much stage representation. There's no written law saying that a fighter pass character has to come with a stage from their own game, so what if Nintendo throws in the Dragon Quest stage just for a bit of extra representation while Ninten gets the spot as DLC? I think that it could work seeing as Dragon Quest and Mother are both JRPG franchises that are very similar to each other and Dragon Quest fans will at least be happy that they get some form of representation (and who knows, Erdrick could be DLC later on if Nintendo ends up filling those 15 extra character slots). As much as I would love a new Mother stage, I feel like Nintendo might do something like what I mentioned. I dunno, just a thought I had that I thought I'd bring up ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Um, where was the Dragon Quest stage leaked? Pretty sure it was just Mementos. There was a 5chan leak that mentioned it, but it's not in the datamine.

Last edited:

PSIRailway

Smash Cadet
Um, where was the Dragon Quest stage leaked? Pretty sure it was just Mementos. There was a 5chan leak that mentioned it, but it's not in the datamine.
Oh ok, I thought I heard that the stage was leaked, my bad! Disregard everything I said lol

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
People say Erdrick's stage will be Alefgard because it's an important place in the Erdrick trilogy. But if I recall correctly the only datamined stage is Mementos.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It wouldn't really make sense to do that. Square Enix would be licensing out Dragon Quest without getting a character in, and would have to share the money for the pack with Nintendo. No way they would agree to that.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Oh ok, I thought I heard that the stage was leaked, my bad! Disregard everything I said lol
It’s cool dude! There’s a lot of fake info going around, and it’s hard to tell truth from fiction. (LaxChris going on about fake leaks just adds more fuel to the fire) I just double checked and yep it’s just Mementos right now, which is Joker’s stage since that’s also from Persona 5 too lulz.

Your idea makes sense in a way though. I actually thought maybe a Minecraft stage would come a character like Banjo or something, so it’s not a bad idea in the slightest. :D Just probably not super likely.

Last edited:

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
Also Mother started as a modern parody of Dragon Quest so that would be a nice touch. But SE is very picky with their IPs so I doubt they'll do something of the sort.

TheBeastHimself

Okay so for the final recap, do you guys want a powerpoint or a comically long post that could take up an entire page of this thread?
I'd say powerpoint only because it'd be easier for you to organize the info and for us to read all the info. It's up to you though.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408

Oh my god. I love this! The art and the ideas are really good! And I would not mind Ninten's final smash being more of a reference to the original game.
I also like PK Freeze replacing PK Flash, since Ana has PK Freeze and PK Flash did not exist in the first game.
PK Beam is also exactly what I thought it would be like if Ninten was an echo fighter.
The battle stance is really cool and would help him look different and personally, I think I kinda wanna see Ninten with a scarf now. (or at least a long bandana, something noticeable)

Overall, this is beautifully made! Amazing job!

This is why I would not mind Ninten being an echo. If they really think he's more suitable to be an echo fighter then I would not mind if they made a second row of DLC character that focuses on echoes, with Ninten being in it!

D

Deleted member

The Anigriffin The Anigriffin I'm really fine with either, but if I had to choose, I prefer powerpoint. Though if you're still working on the post I think you should complete it lol :laugh:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
The Anigriffin The Anigriffin I'm really fine with either, but if I had to choose, I prefer powerpoint. Though if you're still working on the post I think you should complete it lol :laugh:
It’s like five pages at the moment and I didn’t even touch on random stuff like the Switch Online service. **** man I have no idea how to make a “quick” recap heh.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
It blows my mind a bit to see all the support for Ninten. This thread is one of the most replied speculation threads, and that makes me hopeful even knowing that hope is a dangerous thing for fans of Nintendo’s rpgs.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

It blows my mind a bit to see all the support for Ninten. This thread is one of the most replied speculation threads, and that makes me hopeful even knowing that hope is a dangerous thing for fans of Nintendo’s rpgs.
It surprises me because I come from the classic EarthBound fandom over at Starmen.Net, and the general consencus over there is that Mother 2 and 3 are masterpieces, and Mother 1 is just hit or miss depending on the person. I honestly never saw a whole lot of love for that game until I came here, and I'm glad because I think the game deserves attention. In my opinion, it really needs a remake if it wants to be appreciated as much as EB and M3 because a lot of people just view it as an outdated RPG and they don't see a point in playing it when there's the other two "better" games in the series.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
It surprises me because I come from the classic EarthBound fandom over at Starmen.Net, and the general consencus over there is that Mother 2 and 3 are masterpieces, and Mother 1 is just hit or miss depending on the person. I honestly never saw a whole lot of love for that game until I came here, and I'm glad because I think the game deserves attention. In my opinion, it really needs a remake if it wants to be appreciated as much as EB and M3 because a lot of people just view it as an outdated RPG and they don't see a point in playing it when there's the other two "better" games in the series.
Different and difficult = Bad for some reason.

Also I'd say Starmen.net shouldn't reflect the majority of EB fans. I've been an EB fan for 10 years and I only used the site for the Mother 1+2 and Mother 3 patches and ironically a Mother 1 walkthrough.

That's just me though. I have no ill will towards the people of Starmen.net.

Also if Mother 1 was remade in the style of M3, it'd be my fave game, no question.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Really? When I was at Starmen I saw a lot of love for EB0. Maybe trends have changed, it's been a while since I've been there. (What, like 9 years? Damn.)

TheBeastHimself

Really? When I was at Starmen I saw a lot of love for EB0. Maybe trends have changed, it's been a while since I've been there. (What, like 9 years? Damn.)
I mean there's still lots of fanart for it and all that stuff. It's just that on that site, the general consensus is that Mother 1 is the worst in the series and people typically have a lot to complain about it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If Mother 1 is remade, yes, I think people will enjoy and appreciate it more. It's so good, so charming, so nostalgic, so much fun, so...lovable...

TheBeastHimself

If Mother 1 is remade, yes, I think people will enjoy and appreciate it more. It's so good, so charming, so nostalgic, so much fun, so...lovable...
I'll go into depth on what I'd want to see in a remake:

1. Elimination of Random Encounters

Now I know that a lot of RPGs use random encounters, but I've personally grown accustomed to being able to see your enemies like in M2 and M3. Plus, Mother 1's random encounters take the cake of having the most annoying encounter systems in my opinion. Sometimes you'll be walking and covering some ground, everything will be all good. And then there are times where you kill an enemy, take a step, get into another battle, kill that enemy, take a step, and then get into another battle! Some people might not mind that but for me personally it just gets frustrating when I'm trying to do something and I literally can't because I'm trapped in an enemy encounter zone. If you run out of items and have no PP you're screwed if you aren't near a town.

2. More Expansive World

The world of Mother 1 is already pretty expansive. There's lots of interesting towns that I feel have potential to be even better in a remake. But I want the quirky dialogue between NPCs to be ramped up, and each area of the game to not look so similar to each other. I want towns to have more local businesses and for towns to actually feel like living breathing places. I don't want the differences between Podunk and Merrysville to come down to "one has a school and the other doesn't" I want there to be a legitimate culture and feel to each place you visit just like in EarthBound. This is why none of the locations in Mother 1 really stand out to me besides Podunk, Mt. Itoi, Ellay, and Yucca Desert. Everything in between just feels so bland and too similar to a town that came before it.

3. Less Grinding

This goes hand-in-hand with the random encounters, because it's something unavoidable and that's grinding for Lloyd and Ana to catch up to Ninten. When you got new party members in EarthBound and Mother 3, it wasn't so bad. But in this game, you get your homies at level 1 when you're at level 15-20. I don't mind grinding in RPGs, I actually find it a lot of fun, but I don't want to sit there for hours in Magicant trying to level up my party it just gets tedious and boring. Give me Ana and Lloyd at decent levels and I wouldn't mind having to grind, but I don't know to me it's kinda ridiculous that you get them at level 1.

4. Lower the Difficulty

This also goes hand-in-hand with the random encounters. When I boot up this game, I shouldn't be getting my ass kicked immediately as I step out of my house. I know EarthBound also had this problem, but it wasn't as bad thanks to the rolling HP. But in Mother 1, you face tough opponents right away and it kind of ruins the experience for me: I spend my money on healing items, I die, I get sent back to the house, and then I gotta walk all the way back to Podunk and barely make it there alive only to find out I don't have enough money to buy more healing items. Also, running away from your opponents isn't always a reliable option and just ends up wasting a turn most of the time. I can understand the difficulty when you get to Mt. Itoi, or just the difficulty increasing as you progress, but in some areas the difficulty is flat out ridiculous and that's why I preferred EarthBound Zero over EarthBound Beginnings.

5. Expand Upon the Story

I want to learn more about Ninten and who he is as a person. I shouldn't have to look at outside materials like the encyclopedia and whatnot to learn who this kid is, the game itself, the primary source, should show me. Seriously who is this kid? A psychic boy who likes baseball, has asthma, and can get mad at opponents... That's pretty much it. The story itself deserves a massive overhaul and needs to be expanded upon. Alien invades Earth, little boy must stop alien. Once again, I know EarthBound also had this problem, but at least EarthBound has very talkative characters that make up for it. Even your party in EarthBound has more to say than just the few sentences you get in Mother 1. Like seriously, where the hell was the build-up between Ninten and Ana's romance? There was none at all! Ana was just like "I saw you in my dream" and then all of sudden later we find out they have feelings for each other when that was never hinted at once.

6. Expand Upon the Soundtrack

I like Mother 1's soundtrack a lot. The tunes are very catchy and they provide the game with its own style. However, do I really need to hear Bein' Friends 24/7? Look at EarthBound and Mother 3, those games have different soundtracks depending on the area you're in, even when you're in between areas. I'll give you an example. Twoson, Peaceful Rest Valley, and the Happy Happy Village all have their own unique soundtracks that feel different from each other and flesh out the world. I'm not saying Mother 1 only has like 2 songs because that would be ridiculous, but I want more variety and I want more songs implemented in the world to really show audiences that it's a breathing place.

Those are my main issues with the game that I'd like to see fixed. For what it is, Mother 1 is a great NES JRPG. Back then, budgets were smaller and technologies were limited. We're in 2019 now, with the power to give this game a beautiful makeover. While some may not find value in this game, I do, and I can see that there's a lot of potential in it. A LOT of potential, and I really want to see where Nintendo could take this game if they were working on it now.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I'll go into depth on what I'd want to see in a remake:

1. Elimination of Random Encounters

Now I know that a lot of RPGs use random encounters, but I've personally grown accustomed to being able to see your enemies like in M2 and M3. Plus, Mother 1's random encounters take the cake of having the most annoying encounter systems in my opinion. Sometimes you'll be walking and covering some ground, everything will be all good. And then there are times where you kill an enemy, take a step, get into another battle, kill that enemy, take a step, and then get into another battle! Some people might not mind that but for me personally it just gets frustrating when I'm trying to do something and I literally can't because I'm trapped in an enemy encounter zone. If you run out of items and have no PP you're screwed if you aren't near a town.

2. More Expansive World

The world of Mother 1 is already pretty expansive. There's lots of interesting towns that I feel have potential to be even better in a remake. But I want the quirky dialogue between NPCs to be ramped up, and each area of the game to not look so similar to each other. I want towns to have more local businesses and for towns to actually feel like living breathing places. I don't want the differences between Podunk and Merrysville to come down to "one has a school and the other doesn't" I want there to be a legitimate culture and feel to each place you visit just like in EarthBound. This is why none of the locations in Mother 1 really stand out to me besides Podunk, Mt. Itoi, Ellay, and Yucca Desert. Everything in between just feels so bland and too similar to a town that came before it.

3. Less Grinding

This goes hand-in-hand with the random encounters, because it's something unavoidable and that's grinding for Lloyd and Ana to catch up to Ninten. When you got new party members in EarthBound and Mother 3, it wasn't so bad. But in this game, you get your homies at level 1 when you're at level 15-20. I don't mind grinding in RPGs, I actually find it a lot of fun, but I don't want to sit there for hours in Magicant trying to level up my party it just gets tedious and boring. Give me Ana and Lloyd at decent levels and I wouldn't mind having to grind, but I don't know to me it's kinda ridiculous that you get them at level 1.

4. Lower the Difficulty

This also goes hand-in-hand with the random encounters. When I boot up this game, I shouldn't be getting my *** kicked immediately as I step out of my house. I know EarthBound also had this problem, but it wasn't as bad thanks to the rolling HP. But in Mother 1, you face tough opponents right away and it kind of ruins the experience for me: I spend my money on healing items, I die, I get sent back to the house, and then I gotta walk all the way back to Podunk and barely make it there alive only to find out I don't have enough money to buy more healing items. Also, running away from your opponents isn't always a reliable option and just ends up wasting a turn most of the time. I can understand the difficulty when you get to Mt. Itoi, or just the difficulty increasing as you progress, but in some areas the difficulty is flat out ridiculous and that's why I preferred EarthBound Zero over EarthBound Beginnings.

5. Expand Upon the Story

I want to learn more about Ninten and who he is as a person. I shouldn't have to look at outside materials like the encyclopedia and whatnot to learn who this kid is, the game itself, the primary source, should show me. Seriously who is this kid? A psychic boy who likes baseball, has asthma, and can get mad at opponents... That's pretty much it. The story itself deserves a massive overhaul and needs to be expanded upon. Alien invades Earth, little boy must stop alien. Once again, I know EarthBound also had this problem, but at least EarthBound has very talkative characters that make up for it. Even your party in EarthBound has more to say than just the few sentences you get in Mother 1. Like seriously, where the hell was the build-up between Ninten and Ana's romance? There was none at all! Ana was just like "I saw you in my dream" and then all of sudden later we find out they have feelings for each other when that was never hinted at once.

6. Expand Upon the Soundtrack

I like Mother 1's soundtrack a lot. The tunes are very catchy and they provide the game with its own style. However, do I really need to hear Bein' Friends 24/7? Look at EarthBound and Mother 3, those games have different soundtracks depending on the area you're in, even when you're in between areas. I'll give you an example. Twoson, Peaceful Rest Valley, and the Happy Happy Village all have their own unique soundtracks that feel different from each other and flesh out the world. I'm not saying Mother 1 only has like 2 songs because that would be ridiculous, but I want more variety and I want more songs implemented in the world to really show audiences that it's a breathing place.

Those are my main issues with the game that I'd like to see fixed. For what it is, Mother 1 is a great NES JRPG. Back then, budgets were smaller and technologies were limited. We're in 2019 now, with the power to give this game a beautiful makeover. While some may not find value in this game, I do, and I can see that there's a lot of potential in it. A LOT of potential, and I really want to see where Nintendo could take this game if they were working on it now.
Pretty much all of what you said. Though I'd argue that Ness ironically is the one with the least "canon" character in my opinion. Might actually be in part to being based off of Ninten now that I think about it...

Though I find it bizarre how often people trash Mother 1 for being primitive, yet I don't hear nearly as many people trashing Pokemon Red and Blue, which I my opinion are uh... Not great. Especially when Firered and Leafgreen exist which fix all the problems the original games had while expanding on the world by including the Sevii Islands. Yet I only hear praise for the originals outside of romhackers.

I think it's all just nostalgia. EarthBound or Mother 3 seem to be the ones people play first. Almost no one starts with Mother 1. So it's not that the game is bad because it's not, but it's probably the one people are attached to the least. It makes sense in that regard, but not having a nostalgic attachment to a game ≠ it being a bad game.

But anyone saying it's not important or doesn't deserve a revial because they like the other two more would be like me saying that Pokemon Red and Blue aren't important and don't deserve anything because I like Ruby/Sapphire and Black/White more.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

Pretty much all of what you said. Though I'd argue that Ness ironically is the one with the least "canon" character in my opinion. Might actually be in part to being based off of Ninten now that I think about it...

Though I find it bizarre how often people trash Mother 1 for being primitive, yet I don't hear nearly as many people trashing Pokemon Red and Blue, which I my opinion are uh... Not great. Especially when Firered and Leafgreen exist which fix all the problems the original games had while expanding on the world by including the Sevii Islands. Yet I only hear praise for the originals outside of romhackers.

I think it's all just nostalgia. EarthBound or Mother 3 seem to be the ones people play first. Almost no one starts with Mother 1. So it's not that the game is bad because it's not, but it's probably the one people are attached to the least. It makes sense in that regard, but not having a nostalgic attachment to a game ≠ it being a bad game.

But anyone saying it's not important or doesn't deserve a revial because they like the other two more would be like me saying that Pokemon Red and Blue aren't important and don't deserve anything because I like Ruby/Sapphire and Black/White more.
I agree with you. I think nostalgia plays a vital role in this situation. 90% of EarthBound fans would likely tell you that they started off with EarthBound, then Mother 3, and then Mother 1. I'm actually glad I don't have any nostalgia for Mother 1 because nostalgia can be very blinding. I wont remember the problems I had with EarthBound as good as I can with Mother 1. This allows me to look at Mother 1 objectively, and really pinpoint what exactly I didn't like which in turn allows me to decide what I'd want to see improved.

I don't think Mother 1 is a bad game. I do, however, think it is a flawed game, but then again, what game isn't flawed?

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I agree with you. I think nostalgia plays a vital role in this situation. 90% of EarthBound fans would likely tell you that they started off with EarthBound, then Mother 3, and then Mother 1. I'm actually glad I don't have any nostalgia for Mother 1 because nostalgia can be very blinding. I wont remember the problems I had with EarthBound as good as I can with Mother 1. This allows me to look at Mother 1 objectively, and really pinpoint what exactly I didn't like which in turn allows me to decide what I'd want to see improved.

I don't think Mother 1 is a bad game. I do, however, think it is a flawed game, but then again, what game isn't flawed?
They all have their own flaws and quirks which I why I don’t have a definitive favorite. I love all three.

But if Mother 1 gets a remake in the way of how FR/LG remade Kanto by fixing and expanding?

I’d die happy.

D

Deleted member

I played Earthbound first, Mother 1 second, then Mother 3 last.

If the trilogy is remade, I'm 100% playing them chronologically.

Top Bottom