• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
So I'm almost done writing the overall script for the update post and this dumb meme idea popped into my head.

ishouldprobablygotobed.jpg

I'm so sorry. I promise I'll go to bed now.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Hey guys, I got a pretty crazy idea about Mother 3 and my petition. You know how Mother 3 was originally gonna be EarthBound 64? Well, I feel like EarthBound 64 had its differences with Mother 3. Like in the main party, with Lucas and Boney, but instead of Kumatora and Duster, it’s Claus and Flint. I’m thinking EarthBound 64 also had a little bit of a different story. Like it took place between the events of the end of EarthBound/Mother 2 and the beginning of Mother 3. Like a prologue story or something. So I’m thinking the Mother 3 Remake should have a two-part story! They should remake/finish EarthBound 64, along with remaking the rest of the Mother/EarthBound games. EarthBound 64 should be Part 1 and Mother 3, of course, should be Part 2!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

So I'm almost done writing the overall script for the update post and this dumb meme idea popped into my head.

View attachment 201552

I'm so sorry. I promise I'll go to bed now.
I did not expect this and I was surprised happily.

Hey guys, I got a pretty crazy idea about Mother 3 and my petition. You know how Mother 3 was originally gonna be EarthBound 64? Well, I feel like EarthBound 64 had its differences with Mother 3. Like in the main party, with Lucas and Boney, but instead of Kumatora and Duster, it’s Claus and Flint. I’m thinking EarthBound 64 also had a little bit of a different story. Like it took place between the events of the end of EarthBound/Mother 2 and the beginning of Mother 3. Like a prologue story or something. So I’m thinking the Mother 3 Remake should have a two-part story! They should remake/finish EarthBound 64, along with remaking the rest of the Mother/EarthBound games. EarthBound 64 should be Part 1 and Mother 3, of course, should be Part 2!
This would be heaven.

Heaven.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
>Claus as a party member

Even if it's for like five minutes outside of the Mole Cricket tutorial YES PLEASE.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I would love this but sadly, I don't think EarthBound 64 will ever be touched again. It's a cancelled game for a cancelled add-on that was eventually remade for GBA. Don't get me wrong I'd love to play it for myself because who wouldn't want to play a 3D EarthBound game? But unfortunately, I think the one trailer we have for it is the most we will ever see of the game game-play wise.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
who wouldn't want to play a 3D EarthBound game?
Me. I’d prefer it remained a 2D game. The closest to 3D I’d want is something like Octopath’s “HD-2D” style. My reasoning is that the EarthBound series, while having great art direction, doesn’t have the details for the resource sink a 3D world takes to be worth it to me. I’d rather they sink all visual resources into animations for cutscenes and battles.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I would love this but sadly, I don't think EarthBound 64 will ever be touched again. It's a cancelled game for a cancelled add-on that was eventually remade for GBA. Don't get me wrong I'd love to play it for myself because who wouldn't want to play a 3D EarthBound game? But unfortunately, I think the one trailer we have for it is the most we will ever see of the game game-play wise.
You might be right, but still, it would be pretty cool. And hey, you never know what Nintendo might be planning or doing next, especially when it comes to Nintendo Directs, E3, etc.

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
I'm looking forward to the next powerpoint presentation, I can't wait to read it once it's done.
Also the drought is kinda killing me, with no new information about the next dlc character or what 3.0 have for in-store.
I sure hope we get something by the end of the month soon, meanwhile here's a meme I found on reddit.

IV0PUz7.png

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I'm looking forward to the next powerpoint presentation, I can't wait to read it once it's done.
Also the drought is kinda killing me, with no new information about the next dlc character or what 3.0 have for in-store.
I sure hope we get something by the end of the month soon, meanwhile here's a meme I found on reddit.

View attachment 201778
Ninten’s quote was sympathy for Giygas/Giegue. And Ness’ quote was just ridiculous lol
“YEETUS THAT FETUS”

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

View attachment 201778
I identify with both answers how.

Oh it’ll get done. I’m just doing like 10 things at once including that, school work, throwing my portfolio together which is more work than I thought it’d be, AND have a con this weekend. But trust me I’ll have it done. ;)

Speaking of cons, here’s a sneak peak at my Ninten cosplay that I finally fixed.

63B58697-DAB5-44A0-ADE9-CF39AEECB792.jpeg

For whatever reason I can only post it sideways. So uh, sorry bout that.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
His Highness’ Theme/Porky’s Theme should be the Main Theme of EarthBound 64 (Part 1), and Love Theme should still be the Main Theme of Mother 3 (Part 2). Because Porky’s Theme was originally gonna be the Main Theme.

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038

Oh it’ll get done. I’m just doing like 10 things at once including that, school work, throwing my portfolio together which is more work than I thought it’d be, AND have a con this weekend. But trust me I’ll have it done. ;)

Speaking of cons, here’s a sneak peak at my Ninten cosplay that I finally fixed.

View attachment 201817

That's SUPER sick! I hope you have fun at the con, I always wanted to do like a Ness or Ninten cosplay.
I was gonna go as Ness last year, but couldn't find a good blue and yellow striped shirt. :/
So other than that, take your time on the portfolio. I can't wait to see it! :chuckle:

D

Deleted member

View attachment 201817

I can stare at this shirt forever

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
That's SUPER sick! I hope you have fun at the con, I always wanted to do like a Ness or Ninten cosplay.
I was gonna go as Ness last year, but couldn't find a good blue and yellow striped shirt. :/
So other than that, take your time on the portfolio. I can't wait to see it! :chuckle:
Ayyy thanks! Have you checked fangamer? I think they’re still selling Ness shirts on there. Much easier than making your own heh...

Though I wanted to make my Ninten more different than the common Ness so I made my own. Probs gonna get called Ness anyway but hey I made him my own in this way!

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
Ayyy thanks! Have you checked fangamer? I think they’re still selling Ness shirts on there. Much easier than making your own heh...

Though I wanted to make my Ninten more different than the common Ness so I made my own. Probs gonna get called Ness anyway but hey I made him my own in this way!
Yeah I have actually. It's just I didn't have that much money at the time, and mom didn't wanna spend a lot for a halloween costume.
Luckily now, I have a job. So I can start saving some cash. Also to solve that 'Ness problem' there, just wear a nametag that says "I am not Ness."
around the con. ;)

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
Here’s some unreleased footage of EarthBound 64: https://youtu.be/vpbRcJGTQbA
They're kinda similar, but with a few difference. Supposedly, Claus was gonna stay with you much longer.
Also Ness making an appearance in the game to face against Porky. The game overall was suppose to be MUCH
darker than the GBA version.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Yeah I have actually. It's just I didn't have that much money at the time, and mom didn't wanna spend a lot for a halloween costume.
Luckily now, I have a job. So I can start saving some cash. Also to solve that 'Ness problem' there, just wear a nametag that says "I am not Ness."
around the con. ;)
Oh nice!
I was actually thinking of making a name tag that says just that actually so I might just actually do that now!

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
Oh nice!
I was actually thinking of making a name tag that says just that actually so I might just actually do that now!
You should definitely it! You could get some funny reactions out of that.

Naoyatodo

Smash Apprentice
Also Ness making an appearance in the game to face against Porky. The game overall was suppose to be MUCH
darker than the GBA version.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's just Lucas's early design. He was gonna look more like Ninten and Ness before him, except he had a poncho.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
I've never seen anyone talk about this. But as someone who played Dark Cloud for the PS2, I always saw Lucas' design with the Poncho and inmediatly think of Toan (the protagonist) from Dark Cloud. Look at them! They have identical designs!
LucasWithPoncho.jpg
Toan.png

Can you imagine if there was an unknown connection to whoever designed Toan from Dark Cloud? It's probably just a huge coincidence, but I still thought I would share this!
In fact, the town this character comes from reminds me of the way Lucas' town looked in Earthbound 64. Where it looked a bit more... earthy or desert-like.

... I need to finish playing Dark Cloud. It's a really cool game, I recommend it! It kinda REALLY gives the vibes Earthbound 64 was going for!

Last edited:

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
View attachment 202122

Heh heh... This is gonna be fun.
I'm so proud of you, Not Ness!!

"Wait, there's 3 Mother games?! I only played Mother 3 and Earthbound..." I legit have met people who don't realize Mother has three games and, by extension, three protagonists... and that's not even being a bad Mother / Earthbound fan, that's ignoring one of the game's titles having a 3 in it.

#NintenDeservesBetter
#LucasWantsYouToMath
#NessIsSans

Nice handwriting there.
I don't think that's their handwriting. But if it is, I'll be very impressed that they can write the same letter the same exact way the wrote if before (because the N's, S' and exclamation marks literally look the same. They don't look a bit different as to show someone wrote it)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

"Wait, there's 3 Mother games?! I only played Mother 3 and Earthbound..." I legit have met people who don't realize Mother has three games and, by extension, three protagonists... and that's not even being a bad Mother / Earthbound fan, that's ignoring one of the game's titles having a 3 in it.

#NintenDeservesBetter
#LucasWantsYouToMath
#NessIsSans

I don't think that's their handwriting. But if it is, I'll be very impressed that they can write the same letter the same exact way the wrote if before (because the N's, S' and exclamation marks literally look the same. They don't look a bit different as to show someone wrote it)
...How can someone play a game called Mother 3 and not realize there's 3 of them?

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Nice handwriting there.
Heh it’s actually a font. My real handwriting is atrocious.

#NintenDeservesBetter
#LucasWantsYouToMath
#NessIsSans
Jeez and I thought I was bad at math.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
...How can someone play a game called Mother 3 and not realize there's 3 of them?
I DON'T KNOW!
But I once met this guy who thought Ninten was Steven (From Steven Universe, most likely. Since it was by the time that show was popular)

I had to actually explain that Mother 3 comes from a series of game that consisted of three games. I never felt such... STRONG dissapointment in anyone before. Not because they didn't know about Ninten as a character, but because of the lack of common sense.

Maybe they're friends with the same people who only saw the localization of Mother 1 / Earthbound Beginnings as nothing other than a step forward to get Mother 3 localized.
You can want a Mother 3 localization, but don't ignore the attention other games of the series get like that, it really is disrespectful to the Mother series as a whole.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I DON'T KNOW!
But I once met this guy who thought Ninten was Steven (From Steven Universe, most likely. Since it was by the time that show was popular)

I had to actually explain that Mother 3 comes from a series of game that consisted of three games. I never felt such... STRONG dissapointment in anyone before. Not because they didn't know about Ninten as a character, but because of the lack of common sense.

Maybe they're friends with the same people who only saw the localization of Mother 1 / Earthbound Beginnings as nothing other than a step forward to get Mother 3 localized.
You can want a Mother 3 localization, but don't ignore the attention other games of the series get like that, it really is disrespectful to the Mother series as a whole.
Anybody remember this? https://youtu.be/CePk795Xum4

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

View attachment 202122

Heh heh... This is gonna be fun.
Nice handwriting there.
Thirded

#NintenDeservesBetter
#LucasWantsYouToMath
#NessIsSans

I DON'T KNOW!

"But can't you see? The 3 is really a 2!"

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
"But can't you see? The 3 is really a 2!"
To be fair, you're not that wrong. xD
If they were to make a Mother 3 localization. Mother 3 would be known as Earthbound 2.

But yeh, people who don't know that Mother 3 has two games prior to it need to math better. You're playing an RPG, after all. xD

Last edited:

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
Here's a funny story, since we're on the topic. When I was new to the series, I actually thought that Earthbound was considered Mother 1 and
Mother 3 is well, Mother 3. One day I decided to look up what Mother 2 was. So when I checked and got results for Earthbound, I was
confused. So when I went to check what Mother 1 is; my 13 year old mind was in shocked to find out the the TRUE Mother 1 game.
Sad to say, the first Mother game is forgettable to the general audience. Even though it is the one that started it all.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Here's a funny story, since we're on the topic. When I was new to the series, I actually thought that Earthbound was considered Mother 1 and
Mother 3 is well, Mother 3. One day I decided to look up what Mother 2 was. So when I checked and got results for Earthbound, I was
confused. So when I went to check what Mother 1 is; my 13 year old mind was in shocked to find out the the TRUE Mother 1 game.
Sad to say, the first Mother game is forgettable to the general audience. Even though it is the one that started it all.
Yeah, since I love rooting for the underdog, that's yet another reason why I love Mother 1 and Ninten. And from a lot of the requested characters for Smash, I think he's a good candidate for the "underdog" title. As he would be the underdog when it comes to Smash and even the series he comes from, since his game is kinda overshadowed by the other two games.

This is also another reason why I think we need a Mother 1 remake. That way Smash fans, Mother fans and the general Nintendo audience can actually see Ninten as his own character. Not to mention introduce the Mother / Earthbound series to the public.

Speaking of a Mother 1 / Earthbound Beginnings remake, since Giegue says that Ninten will meet him again, wouldn't it be cool if you actually have a secret boss or extra content where not only do you get to see more stuff, fight more enemies and see more locations, but also fight Giegue? Maybe even on a 1v1 after separating him from Ana, Lloyd and Teddy?
I think that's a great idea of expanding the lore of an RPG from the 80's, along with it being a good and possible idea for extra content.

Last edited:

Saer2k

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Justin2k
3DS FC
1135-3138-2130
Switch FC
SW-1055-8581-7038
Yeah, since I love rooting for the underdog, that's yet another reason why I love Mother 1 and Ninten. And from a lot of the requested characters for Smash, I think he's a good candidate for the "underdog" title. As he would be the underdog when it comes to Smash and even the series he comes from, since his game is kinda overshadowed by the other two games.

This is also another reason why I think we need a Mother 1 remake. That way Smash fans, Mother fans and the general Nintendo audience can actually see Ninten as his own character. Not to mention introduce the Mother / Earthbound series to the public.

Speaking of a Mother 1 / Earthbound Beginnings remake, since Giegue says that Ninten will meet him again, wouldn't it be cool if you actually have a secret boss or extra content where not only do you get to see more stuff, fight more enemies and see more locations, but also fight Giegue? Maybe even on a 1v1 after separating him from Ana, Lloyd and Teddy?
I think that's a great idea of expanding the lore of an RPG from the 80's, along with it being a good and possible idea for extra content.
I agree fully with this! I always did have a itch every time I only just see Ness and Lucas love,
but rarely a lot of Ninten. It's like excluding a close family member from Thanksgiving, you know?
Also the stuff about secret boss would actually be pretty interesting to see, also maybe give us some
flashbacks of when Giegue was a baby with his parents Mary and George.

D

Deleted member

That's a good point, Ninten and Gieugue didn't actually meet again in the series...

though I think that, if they do, it would definitely be a part of the main story rather than a secret side quest.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
If they remade Mother 1, would anyone here be opposed to a Chapter system being implemented in the game like Mother 3 to give it a more cinematic feel? Just an idea that popped into my head, but I feel like for a lot of people that would be changing too much.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I agree fully with this! I always did have a itch every time I only just see Ness and Lucas love,
I know it's not what you mean but I see plenty of Ninten and Claus love. :4pacman:

I don't have a witty response to this so, just take ALL OF MY YES. I dig all these ideas. Fleshing out Mother 1's content would make me so happy.

If they remade Mother 1, would anyone here be opposed to a Chapter system being implemented in the game like Mother 3 to give it a more cinematic feel? Just an idea that popped into my head, but I feel like for a lot of people that would be changing too much.
I personally wouldn't mind it if the game was expanded upon since it gives you a sense of progression outside of stumbling upon melodies.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, the name confusion is a big reason I still call the game EarthBound Zero half the time.

Top Bottom