• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

No Crying Until the End: Ninten for Smash Ultimate!

D

Deleted member

The other day my sister was crapping on EarthBound hard

She was watching me play and she goes "all you do is press the a button and you don't even get to see your characters in battle". Absolutely disrespectful
Make her eat the cartridges

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

She was watching me play and she goes "all you do is press the a button and you don't even get to see your characters in battle". Absolutely disrespectful
"All you do is press the a button"

That's every turn based RPG ever though.

xdenzee

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3368-0818-5738
Switch FC
3395 4254 8029

Oof. Just use PK Rockin' Ω on her then lol.

But really, it's another case of judging a book by its cover. Kinda reminds me of when EarthBound was so poorly received in the west back then, before eventually going public as not only one of the best snes games, but games overall, especially in the jrpg genre. Maybe one day, she'll see that EarthBound is a phenomenal experience with its story, character development, humour, gameplay, etc.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Just wanted to come here and chill out with you guys.

I'm having a very rough day, from the moment I woke up.

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
Many JRPGs (old ones to be exact) are very criticised about that "there is no animation and I only have to press A" thing. Personally I don't mind and in fact I really love JRPGs that have that style, also SNES and NES (especially NES) had limited hardware and software to pull out full blown animations (there are exceptions of course). People may find Mother battles boring but the backgrounds,music and even the enemies design make up for it.

xdenzee

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3368-0818-5738
Switch FC
3395 4254 8029

Sorry to hear buddy :(

Many JRPGs (old ones to be exact) are very criticised about that "there is no animation and I only have to press A" thing. Personally I don't mind and in fact I really love JRPGs that have that style, also SNES and NES (especially NES) had limited hardware and software to pull out full blown animations (there are exceptions of course). People may find Mother battles boring but the backgrounds,music and even the enemies design make up for it.
Exactly. People these days are more used to modern rpg elements and so they kinda see these classic games as "boring" or "outdated". What they don't know (or even flat out ignore), is that the NES and SNES have limitations that prevent innovative ideas from getting programmed in. What I really look at is seeing how great they were at the time and enjoying the classic experience, instead of comparing it to modern jrpgs, which is unfair imo. It's like if one were to compare Super Mario 64 to Super Mario Bros, or Fire Emblem Awakening to Fire Emblem NES.

D

Deleted member

I'm sorry about that. I hope everything is okay.

This is the chillest thread I've ever been to

Last edited by a moderator:

AuraShaman

Smash Ace
NNID
AuraShaman
3DS FC
0018-0281-9044

For anyone who's seen this on Miiverse's Popular Posts: yes, I'm the dude who made this. :cool:

Feel like throwing my cap in the ring.

Unfortunately to some, I feel Ninten would be better as an Echo of Ness, but more for the same reason Chrom is Roy's Echo; Ninten would play virtually identical to Ness, but there will be key differences that change almost everything on how you use him.

To make it short and sweet...
:GCB:= PK Flash (or a B-move in the same vein as PK Flash / PK Freeze)
:GCB::GCR:= PK Paralysis (shoots like Ness's PK Fire, but instead temporarily stuns)
:GCB::GCU:= 4D Slip (a teleporting move with the added twist of dragging nearby fighters in with him while also dealing damage)
:GCB::GCD:= PSI Shield (reflects projectiles instead of absorb; will also reflect physical attacks, but deals no knockback and half the damage of the recieving attack, and it decays his PSI Shield; will break like Pit's Guardian Orbitars)

No FS in mind, since I know enough about Earthbound to know that PK Starstorm didn't exist in EB Beginnings, but not enough about Beginnings, itself.

If Mewtwo is the only psychic fighter outside of EB reps, then I feel he needs to actually represent his own Type by actually using PSI-based attacks instead of Darkness-based. Just a detail that's irked me ever since I saw Pokémon Spirits like Deoxys, which boost PSI-attacks.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

For anyone who's seen this on Miiverse's Popular Posts: yes, I'm the dude who made this. :cool:

Feel like throwing my cap in the ring.

Unfortunately to some, I feel Ninten would be better as an Echo of Ness, but more for the same reason Chrom is Roy's Echo; Ninten would play virtually identical to Ness, but there will be key differences that change almost everything on how you use him.

To make it short and sweet...
:GCB:= PK Flash (or a B-move in the same vein as PK Flash / PK Freeze)
:GCB::GCR:= PK Paralysis (shoots like Ness's PK Fire, but instead temporarily stuns)
:GCB::GCU:= 4D Slip (a teleporting move with the added twist of dragging nearby fighters in with him while also dealing damage)
:GCB::GCD:= PSI Shield (reflects projectiles instead of absorb; will also reflect physical attacks, but deals no knockback and half the damage of the recieving attack, and it decays his PSI Shield; will break like Pit's Guardian Orbitars)

No FS in mind, since I know enough about Earthbound to know that PK Starstorm didn't exist in EB Beginnings, but not enough about Beginnings, itself.
Welcome! :)

Thank you for the moveset suggestion. I spoiler-tagged my response, as it has some Mother 1 spoilers:

I think Ninten would work better as an echo of Lucas, if he were to be an echo. Yo-yos, PK flash, and, like you said, Starstorm, do not exist in Mother 1. Aside from PK love, which Lucas uses for his up smash, down smash, and most of his aerials, and the rope snake, which could be replaced with a rope or the onyx hook from Mother 1, all of Lucas's moves also exist in Mother 1.

As proven by Pit and Dark Pit, echos can have different final smashes. Ninten's final smash could be using EVE, or singing the 8 melodies with Ana and Loid.

However, I think Ninten would work best as a unique character. He does not use any PSI attacks in Mother 1, already having difference with Ness and Lucas. Here's an idea for a unique moveset:

Neutral b: PK beam (so, yes, while he himself does not use PSI attacks in Mother 1, he could borrow a move Ana learns, called PK beam)
Side b: PSI controlled boomerang
Up b: 4th-D-Slip (this can work as a teleport, like Mewtwo's recovery)
Down b: Telepathy
Final Smash: Like before, either using EVE, or singing the 8 melodies with Ana and Loid

He could also use Hank's bat as a Melee weapon, since he does not have an attack like Ness's PK Rockin' or Lucas's PK Love.

Mr. Stevenson

Smash Ace

My condolences, I hope that you're threw with whatever happened, and that you're alright now!

Don't worry! I'm here too if you ever feel like you're having a real bad (fur) day, and want to talk it out!

TheBeastHimself

My condolences, I hope that you're threw with whatever happened, and that you're alright now!

Don't worry! I'm here too if you ever feel like you're having a real bad (fur) day, and want to talk it out!
Thanks to everyone! :)

I'm doing fine now. Just had some issues with my friend but we talked it out and me and her are all good now!

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
Okay guys. I'm gonna write and even improvise this moveset for Ninten while I'm writting this. Obviously you guys would just see the whole thing done because... it's text... ...BUT ANYWAY, here it is! (also, not gonna put stats like his weight or anything like that, as I'm gonna assume that Brave is Ninten. Besides, I'm not very knowledgable to put them. I also don't know/don't remember if Brave had just some code like the weight and height or of it had some moves and how they worked so...)

Also, I may do one of those visual moveset things where they have drawings of the moves and everything, but writting this is the first step and I thought maybe you guys would be interested.

Ninten - MOTHER / Earthbound Beginnings (DLC Fighter):

Ninten would obviously have the pacman eyes that some old cartoons have, as it's part of his original design and greatly helps differentiate him from Ness and Lucas.
He would be wearing a hat like Ness, but it would look slightly different. Maybe looking a bit bigger and not only having the cap face to his left, but also facing upwards a bit. Also, the little top of Ninten's hat would be black (meanwhile Ness' is blue so that's another difference in their design)
Ninten's hair is black, obviously. We can have a second Mother character with black hair, I mean just look at the Fire Emblem cast being mostly consisted of blue haired swordsmen. However, Ninten's hair is Spiky instead of circular like Ness and just like in his clay model, he would have more hair on the left than on the right. Maybe he would have a tuft of hair that faces to the left and the hat being raised up a bit would help not cover it. However, his hair would still be relatively short on the back of his head and all that, maybe just some spikes of hair here and there.
Since Itoi approved Ninten's design in the commercial and later went to make the novel describing Ninten in a similar fashion he would have his white, red and blue shirt. His shorts could either be of a more saturated or less saturated blue. He would also be wearing his red socks and blue shoes, obviously.
And of course, his bandana, which he would be wearing like he does in the commercial though I don't mind if he wears it differently.

Of course, as an alternative outfit he could have his original shirt while the shade of red and blue from his hat, socks, shoes and pants and all that are more similar to that of his clay model. This outfit could also be the original design and have the white, red and blue shirt as a colorswap, too. I just personally think that a different colored shirt makes him stand out more as his own character but I still like the blue shirt with thin yellow stripes.
Animations (general):

These are animations that are (for the most part) just for showing the personality of the character and play little to no part in gameplay or fighting.

- PSI effect: To make him different from Ness and Lucas, his own PSI would be square shaped and could be Red and Blue. Or maybe Orange and Blue. Or White and Blue.
These PSI effects will be used for things that other characters from Mother use like throws and all that, not neccesarily for attacking. This is mainly to give something for the character to also stand out and be differentiated with since Ninten does use PSI in his own way and these effects are not completely linked to attacking and more to the characters using PSI in general like making objects or people levitate.

- Standing pose: His standing pose would be him standing like he does in his clay model (basically how he stands as a spirit). Smiling like the other two Mother protagonist.
Just like Ness and Lucas, he has an idle animation where he closes his eyes and looks like he's channeling PSI, putting himself in some position that makes him look like he's gonna fire a projectile, though nothing happens cuz it's just an idle animation.
As for a second idle animation, he moves like he's fixing his clothing and putting in place, nothing special.

- Jumping: Similarly to the other mom bois, Ninten spins when he double jumps. Except he does it by spining to the left or right instead of making a backflip like Ness.

- Walking/Running: Ninten would walk around a bit similarly to Ness, but without leaning his body forward, just like Lucas. Maybe even a bit more bouncy/happy/energetic looking.
As for running, he would actually run in a similar fashion to Lucas, but leaning his body forward a bit like Ness, basically having a more agressive looking running animation to that of Lucas.

- Shield/Shield Break: Similar if not the exact same as Ness and Lucas.

- Sleeping: As a REALLY small nod to his original game, he would lie on the floor on his back when he sleeps instead of sleeping while sitting down. ( Psst, it's supposed to represent him sleeping in his bed at the end of MOTHER / Earthbound Beginnings! Don't tell anyone, as it's a spoiler!)

- Grabbing: Just like BotW Link, Ninten would grab his opponents with one hand. Also using PSI like Ness and Lucas when he holds an opponent, though still using one hand while the other has two fingers pointing and touching his head.

- Being Grabbed: Same as Ness and/or Lucas.

- Crouching: Like Lucas, Ninten kneels but having his torso leaning more to the side and slightly back as he uses an arm to support himself.

- Hanging on the edge: Similar to Lucas'.

- Curry effect (spitting fire): Same to Ness and Lucas.

-Star KO and Screen KO: Also similar to Ness and Lucas, how unexpected!

:GCDpad:Taunts:

- Up Taunt: Ninten pulls out his ocarina and plays the first melody of the Eight Melodies. If you do it again, he'll play the second. If you do it yet again, he'll play the third melody and so on. Nothing happens if you do play all of them and he'll play them quickly to match the speed of other taunts in Ultimate, which are sped compared to previous games.

- Down Taunt: Just like Ness and Lucas' Down Taunt, he'll show off his PSI powers by moving one of his arms around with PSI effects surrounding it.

- Side Taunt: Ninten will pull out his inhaler and use it, though this does not give him any bonus or effect and he doesn't need to do it during battle either. As Asthma would not be a mechanic that he would have in Smash.

Alternatively, his Side Taunt could also be him using the 12 inch long ruler and "try" to see how big his opponents are (or whatever he's seeing) by holding the ruler with both hands in front of his face while he closes one eye. Kinda like when you do that "crush people's heads with your fingers" by putting two fingers in front of your eyes and doing like they crush the head of the person you're looking at. But in this case it's Ninten using a ruler to see how tall his opponents are... except that's not how it works. And just like in the original game, the ruler is just a turn waster and serves no purpose in battle or in figuring out the lengths of things (as it's a 12 inch long ruler, what are you gonna use it on? Olimar?). Which also makes it a perfect candidate for his side taunt, as it's silly and does NOTHING for your benefit other than use it.

Victory Screen (win/lose):

- Victory animation 1: Ninten fixes his hat as he yawns before looking at the camera while smiling.

- Victory animation 2: The camera focuses Ninten's boomerang and follows it until it shows Ninten catching it.

- Victory animation 3: Ninten plays the 7th and 8th Melody of the Eight Melodies, playing them in sync with the victory theme.

- Clapping: Same as Ness and Lucas.
These are moves that play a bit more into gameplay. Describing normal moves that you would regularly use at least once in a battle.

:GCA:Moves:

- Neutral A: Ninten performs two punches similar to Villager (without the boxing gloves, of course). Except that he would not have a rapid jab and instead he would finish inmediatly with a punch going upwards.

- Forward Tilt: Ninten performs a punch, trying to reach as far as he can by leaning forward as much as possible.

- Up Tilt: Ninten jumps and headbutts, this move also hits opponents behind and in front of Ninten. Though not by much as Mario's Up Smash, for example.

- Down Tilt: Similarly to Ness and Lucas, Ninten kicks as he crouches. Except he does one single kick instead of being able to do a lot of them repeatedly. Making his opponent either trip or being sent slightly away.
Alternatively, he could be crouching and then slide like Cloud and Megaman.

- Dash Attack: Ninten jumps and kicks his opponent, his feet could either use PSI or not. (Since I believe Ninten could use PSI in an offensive way, just less than Ness and Lucas as a nod of him not possesing an offensive PSI move. But for the sake of Ninten no possesing any kind of offensive PSI, let's just say that this move is physical, just like all of the other ones.)

- Neutral Air: Ninten would have Ness's old Neutral Air from Smash 64, he would have the same animation and it would have two hitboxes. He would use some PSI to make a single wave of PSI surround him briefly, enemies take more damage and knockback, so in order to land this move you gotta perform it when someone's near you.
The second hitbox would just be him after the flash of PSI surrounding him, meaning just him extending his limbs. This makes the move deal less damage and knockback and you can use it to combo into neutral A.

- Forward Air: Ninten takes out his bat and swings it down, it has a hitbox that can spike opponents and it is a good kill move overall.

- Up Air: Ninten performs a backflip, hitting enemies in front of him and above him, this move sends opponents upwards (obviously). Also hitting enemies slightly away from from him if they're behind him. (it's a backflip, so of course he can kick people behind him with a backflip, Robin does the same with his sword when he does his Up Air.)

- Back Air: Ninten punches enemies behind him as he leans back a bit to further increase the distance, plain and simple. (maybe this move could also have PSI properties or not, your choice.)

- Down Air: Similarly to Ness and Lucas, Ninten hits enemies below him. He performs two kicks, one with his left foot which helps combo into the second and stronger kick. This move spikes opponents with the second kick.

- Forward Smash: What a surprise! He uses his bat and sings it forward, SMAAAAAASH!!! (It sends opponents in a slightly different angle compared to Ness and it has a bit less kill power, but it's a bit faster. Kinda like an inbetween of Ness and Lucas' Forward Smashes when it comes to how quick it is and how strong)
Alternatively, his animation could be him swinging the bat upwards. Basically like Toon Link but holding the bat with both hands, obviously.

- Up Smash: Ninten uses a slingshot and attacks enemies above him with a projectile. The projectile can kill and has some reach but it can be deflected and it's small.

- Down Smash: Ninten takes out his boomerang and throws it behind him, it goes around him while it flies low to the ground before it returns to his hand.

- Get up Attack: Similar to Ness', simple as that.

:GCZ:Throws:

- Up Throw: Ness has the strongest Back Throw and Lucas (from what I've seen) has the strongest forward throw. So Ninten would have the strongest Up Throw, making it a kill option. He would move his opponent on top of him while making them spin randomly as he crouches, moves his hands to the ground and looks down before jumping up, raising his hands up and looking up. Throwing his opponent up high.

- Forward Throw: Ninten would force his opponent to crouch a bit with his PSI as he takes out his bat and hits his enemy in the face with it.

- Back Throw: Ninten moves his opponent around him as Ninten also does one single spin before throwing them back. Enemies near receive damage if they come in contact with the opponent that is being moved around Ninten agaisnt their will before being thrown. Pretty much like Mario's back throw, which also does the same if I'm not mistaken.

- Down Throw: Ninten moves his opponent below him as he jumps and kicks them using both of his feet.
:GCB:Moves:

These are two ideas I have for Ninten's moveset, they don't have to be together and it could be some from this moveset idea and some from this other moveset idea. I will also be doing different variants to moves that reappear in the second moveset idea.

Special Moveset idea 1:

- Neutral B: PSI Darkness - Ninten charges a projectile just like Ness and Lucas, being in between Ness and Lucas when it comes to speed but this one being black and purple and when unleashed it performs a cloud that deals damage fast to anyone standing there. The size and duration of the cloud depends on how much it was charged.

- Side B: PK Beam - Ninten says "PK Beam!" and with one hand he shoots a projectile that looks like Starman's PK Beam, which is basically the same as PK Fire but bigger, this move would have slightly less reach and be slightly slower but it would deal a bit more damage and deal energy based damage instead of fire based damage.

- Up B: 4th-D Slip - Ninten makes a position before becoming a little small spark that is completely invinsible unaffected by everything. This little spark leaves a small trail of lights for aesthetic purposes (Basically, it would look like the Starman Assist Trophy teleportation move, except maybe using Ninten's PSI effect). You can move the spark around, which goes at a good speed and can be moved around freely in any direction. Ninten then reappears where the spark was and goes into free fall if he's in the air. This move deals no damage and slightly pushes enemies away a little when Ninten reappears.

- Down B: PSI Shield - Ninten is surrounded by a bubble-like shield that reflects energy based projectiles instead of absorbing them, this move also deals damage to anyone near but barely any knockback. This move can break like a regular shield when hit by physical moves and physical projectiles, if the shield breaks this will leave Ninten in his shield break animation. However, this move deals some damage to enemies when they attack Ninten with a physical move and it pushes them back with fixed knockback.
While this move can regenerate, it's really slow so it should be used with caution.

Special Moveset idea 2:

- Neutral B: PK Beam - Ninten charges PK Beam just like Robin's Thunder. However, this move charges quicker but has a bit less range at the beginning. It has four stages of PK Beam, one being more powerful and reaching farther. The color of the move is yellow and this move obviously deals energy based damage.
Whenever you decided to shoot, Ninten says "PK Beam!" and shoots a projectile with one hand.

- Side B: Boomerang - Ninten takes out his boomerang, but unlike other boomerangs in Smash, this one doesn't bounce back when it hits an enemy. It keeps going and it's a multi-hit move. But it can't be aimed diagonally. It would kinda spin like the boomerang item Smash has.

- Up B: 4th-D Slip - Ninten makes a position and using is PSI he creates a portal that takes him and anyone nearby him into the 4th dimension. The opponents cannot break free from this move once they're dragged into it.
Ninten becomes a small spark and takes him and anyone nearby wherever he wants, he can manouver freely when he's a small spark and nothing affects him in this state as he's not in the battlefield. (once again, it would look like the Starman Assist trophy teleportation move but with Ninten's PSI effect instead) When he reappears, he comes out surrounded in PSI, dealing damage to anyone around him and sending them back. The damage and knockback is increased to the opponents who were dragged into the 4th dimension with Ninten at the beginning of the move. This move leaves Ninten vulnerable for a bit, so you can shield the move and counterattack.

- Down B: Powershield - Just like in the original game, this move sends physical and energy damage back at the enemy. In Smash, it would be a Counter. Ninten closes his eyes for a second and moves his hands to the sides of his head as he flashes white to show that he's in the counter stage. As this happens there's a bubble-like shield fading in and out arround him. This means this counter is a bit bigger than Ninten himself since he's surrounded by that shield when he's countering. If you hit the shield, Ninten will counter.
This Counter works like Palutena's Counter, if it is a projectile it sends it back. If it is a physical move, Ninten counters by expanding the shield and sending everyone near away from him while dealing energy based damage.

FINAL SMASH:

Idea 1: Ninten summons Ana and Lloyd and together they perform PK Beam. A huge yellow beam that would be like Mii Gunner's Final Smash.

Idea 2: Ninten summons Ana and Lloyd and they sing the Eight Melodies, they would be represented by 8 orbs of light of different color as it spins around them, trapping everyone who gets caught in the multi-hit move before the move ends by having the eight orbs of light fuse and becoming a big flash of light that deals the final hit.

Idea 3: Ninten takes out his Ocarina and plays the Eight Melodies, they come out of his instrument and are again represented by orbs of light of different colors. However, they scatter around the screen dealing damage just like Meloetta's attack before exploding where they are, dealing a lot of damage and knockback at the cost of this move being a bit random. However, the orbs of lights can still kill enemies even without the explosion they deal once Ninten finishes playing the Eight Melodies.

Idea 4: Ninten uses all of his PSI to perform a big area of PSI to trap opponents in. Then the screen goes white as he summons EVE (and maybe his companions, too) to attack his opponents.

Phew! And that's it. There were a lot of moves that I never thought what they could be or was debating what they could be, so writting this was very interesting and I think it's a good moveset! I'll definitely be drawing all these moves to give a visual representation in the future. I hope you guys like it, since I know people go for the regular stuff like... final smash, specials and smash attacks, but I wanted to go for mostly everything!
Also, I'm a native Spanish speaker for please forgive me for any weird sentences or grammar errors! Hope you guys still like it anyway!

Last edited:

xdenzee

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3368-0818-5738
Switch FC
3395 4254 8029
Okay guys. I'm gonna write and even improvise this moveset for Ninten while I'm writting this. Obviously you guys would just see the whole thing done because... it's text... ...BUT ANYWAY, here it is! (also, not gonna put stats like his weight or anything like that, as I'm gonna assume that Brave is Ninten. Besides, I'm not very knowledgable to put them. I also don't know/don't remember if Brave had just some code like the weight and height or of it had some moves and how they worked so...)

Also, I may do one of those visual moveset things where they have drawings of the moves, but writting this is the first step and I thought maybe you guys would be interested.

Ninten would obvious have the pacman eyes that some old cartoons have, as it's part of his original design and greatly helps differentiate him from Ness and Lucas.
He would be wearing a hat like Ness, but it would look slightly different. Maybe looking a bit bigger and not only having the cap face to his left, but also facing upwards a bit. Also, the little top of Ninten's hat would be black (meanwhile Ness' is blue so that's another difference in their design)
Ninten's hair is black, obviously. We can have a second Mother character with black hair, I mean just look at the Fire Emblem cast being mostly consisted of blue haired swordsmen. However, Ninten's hair is Spiky instead of circular like Ness and just like in his clay model, he would have more hair on the left than on the right. Maybe he would have a tuft of hair that faces to the left and the hat being raised up would help not cover it. However, his hair would still be relatively short on the back of his head and all that, maybe just some spikes of hair here and there.
Since Itoi approved Ninten's design in the commercial and later went to make the novel describing Ninten in a similar fashion he would have his white, red and blue shirt. His shorts could either be a more saturated or less saturated hue of blue. He would also be wearing his red socks and blue shoes, obviously.
And of course, his bandana, which he would be wearing like he does in the commercial though I don't mind if he wears it differently.

Of course, as an alternative outfit he could have his original shirt while the shade of red and blue from his hat, socks, shoes and pants and all that are more similar to that of his clay model. This outfit could also be the original design and have the white, red and blue shirt as a colorswap, too. I just personally think that a different colored shirt makes him stand out more as his own character but I still like the blue shirt with thin yellow stripes.
Animations (general):

These are animations that are (for the most part) just for showing the personality of the character and play little to no part in gameplay or fighting.

- PSI effect: To make him different from Ness and Lucas, his own PSI would be square shaped and could be Red and Blue. Or maybe Orange and Blue. Or White and Blue.
These PSI effects will be used for things that other characters from Mother use like throws and all that, not neccesarily for attacking. This is mainly to give something for the character to also stand out and be differenciated with since Ninten does use PSI in his own way and these effects are not completely linked to attacking and more to the characters using PSI in general like making objects or people levitate.

- Standing pose: His standing pose would be him standing like he does in his clay model (basically how he appears as a spirit). Smiling like the other two Mother protagonist.
Just like Ness and Lucas, he has an idle animation where he closes his eyes and looks like he's channeling PSI, putting himself in some position that makes him look like he's gonna fire a projectile, though nothing happens cuz it's just an idle animation.
As for a second idle animation, he moves like he's fixing his clothing and putting in place, nothing special.

- Jumping: Similarly to the other mom bois, Ninten when he double jumps performs a spin. Except he does it by spining to the left or right instead of making a flip or spinning his whole body around.

- Walking/Running: Ninten would walk around a bit similarly to Ness, but without leaning his body forward, just like Lucas. Maybe even a bit more bouncy/happy/energetic looking.
As for running, he would actually run in a similar fasion to Lucas, but leaning his body forward a bit like Ness, basically having a more agressive looking running animation to that of Lucas.

- Sleeping: As a REALLY small nod to his original game, he would lie on the floor on his back when he sleeps instead of sleeping while sitting down.

- Grabbing: Just like BotW Link, Ninten would grab his opponents with one hand. Also using PSI when holding them, though still using one hand while the other has two fingers pointing and touching his head.

- Crouching: Like Lucas, Ninten kneels but having his torso leaning more to the side and slightly back as he uses an arm to support himself.

- Up Taunt: Ninten pulls out his ocarina and plays the first melody of the Eight Melodies. If you do it again, he'll play the second. If you do it yet again, he'll play the third melody and so on. Nothing happens if you do play all of them and he'll play them quickly to match the speed of other taunts in Ultimate, which are sped compared to previous games.

- Down Taunt: Just like Ness and Lucas' Down Taunt, he'll show off his PSI powers by moving one of his arms around with PSI effects surrounding it.

- Side Taunt: Ninten will pull out his inhaler and use it, though this does not give him any bonus or effect and he doesn't need to do it during battle either. As Asthma would not be a mechanic that he would have in Smash.

Alternatively, his Side Taunt could also be him using the 12 inch long ruler and "try" to see how big his opponents are (or whatever he's seeing) by holding the ruler with both hands in front of his face while he closes one eye. Kinda like when you do that "crush people's heads with yoru fingers" by putting two fingers in front of your eyes and doing like they crush the head of the person you're looking at. But in this case it's Ninten using a rule to see how tall his opponents are... except that's not how it works. And just like in the original game, the ruler is just a turn waster and serves no purpose in battle or in figuring out the lengths of things. Which also makes it a perfect candidate for his side taunt.

- Victory animation 1: Ninten fixes his hat as he yawns before looking at the camera while smiling.

- Victory animation 2: The camera focuses Ninten's boomerang and follows it until it shows Ninten catching it.

- Victory animation 3: Ninten plays the 7th and 8th Melody of the Eight Melodies, playing them in sync with the victory theme.

These are moves that play a bit more into gameplay. Describing normal moves that you would regularly use in battle.

- Neutral A: Ninten performs two punches similar to Villager (without the boxing gloves, of course). But he would not have a rapid *** and finish with a punch going upwards.

- Forward Tilt: Ninten ferforms a punch, trying to reach as far as he can by leaning forward as much as possible.

- Up Tilt: Ninten jumps and headbutts.

- Down Tilt: Similarly to Ness and Lucas, Ninten kicks as he crouches. Except he does one single kick instead of being able to do a lot of them repeatedly. Making his opponent either trip or being sent slightly away.

- Dash Attack: Ninten jumps and kicks his opponent, his feet could either use PSI or not. Since I believe Ninten could use PSI in an offensive way, just less than Ness and Lucas as a nod of him not possesing an offensive PSI move.

- Neutral Air: Ninten would have Ness's old Neutral Air from Smash 64, he would have the same animation and it would have two hitboxes. He would use some PSI to make a single wave of PSI surround him briefly, enemies take more damage and knockback, so in order to land this move you gotta perform it when someone's near you.
The second hitbox would just be him after the flash of PSI surrounding him, meaning just him extending his limbs. This makes the move deal less damage and knockback and you can use it to combo into neutral A.

- Forward Air: Ninten takes out his bat and sings it down, it has a hitbox that can spike opponents and it is a good kill move.

- Up Air: Ninten performs a backflip, hitting enemies in front of him and above him, this move sends opponents upwards (obviously). Also hitting enemies slightly away from from him if they're behind him. (it's a backflip, so of course he can kick people behind him with a backflip, Robin does the same with his sword)

- Back Air: Ninten punches enemies behind him as he leans back a bit to further increase the distance, plain and simple. (maybe this move could also have PSI properties or not)

- Down Air: Similarly to Ness and Lucas, Ninten hits enemies below him. He performs two kicks, one with his left foot which helps combo into the second and stronger kick. This move spikes opponents with the second kick.

- Forward Smash: What a surprise! He uses his bat and sings it forward, SMAAAAAASH!!! (It sends opponents in a slightly different angle compared to Ness and it has a bit less kill power, but it's a bit faster. Kinda like an inbetween of Ness and Lucas' Forward Smashes when it comes to how quick it is and how strong)
Alternatively, his animation could be him swinging the bat upwards. Basically like Toon Link but holding the bat with both hands, obviously.

- Up Smash: Ninten uses a slingshot and attacks enemies above him with a projectile. The projectile can kill and has some reach but it can be deflected and it's small.

- Down Smash: Ninten takes out his boomerang and throws it behind him, it goes around him while it flies low to the ground before it returns to his hand.

- Up Throw: Ness has the strongest Back Throw and Lucas (from what I've seen) has the strongest forward throw. So Ninten would have the strongest Up Throw, making it a kill option. He would move his opponent on top of him while making them spin randomly as he crouches, moves his hands to the ground and looks down before jumping up, raising his hands up and looking up. Throwing his opponent up high.

- Forward Throw: Ninten would force his opponent to crouch a bit with his PSI as he takes out his bat and hits his enemy in the face with it.

- Back Throw: Ninten moves his opponent around him as Ninten also does one single spin before throwing them back. Enemies near receive damage if they come in contact with the opponent that is being moved around Ninten agaisnt their will before being thrown. Pretty much like Mario's back throw, which also does the same if I'm not mistaken.

- Down Throw: Ninten moves his opponent below him as he jumps and kicks them using both of his feet.

These are two ideas I have for Ninten's moveset, they don't have to be together and it could be some from this moveset idea and some from this other moveset idea. I will also be doing different variants to moves that reappear in the second moveset idea.

Special Moveset idea 1:

- Neutral B: PSI Darkness - Ninten charges a projectile just like Ness and Lucas, being in between Ness and Lucas when it comes to speed but this one being black and purple and when unleashed it performs a cloud that deals damage fast to anyone standing there. The size and duration of the cloud depends on how much it was charged.

- Side B: PK Beam - Ninten says "PK Beam!" and with one hand he shoots a projectile that looks like Starman's PK Beam, which is basically the same as PK Fire but bigger, this move would have slightly less reach and be slightly slower but it would deal a bit more damage and deal energy based damage instead of fire based damage.

- Up B: 4th-D Slip - Ninten makes a position before becoming a little small spark is completely invinsible and is unaffected by everything. This little spark leaves a small trail of lights for aesthetic purposes. You can move the spark around, which goes at a good speed. You can also move the spark around freely in any direction, too. Ninten then reappears where the spark was and goes into free fall if he's in the air. This move deals no damage and maybe it pushes enemies a little when Ninten reappears.

- Down B: PSI Shield - Ninten is surrounded by a bubble-like shield that reflects energy based projectiles instead of absorving them, this move also deals damage to anyone near but barely any knockback. This move can break like a regular shield when hit by physical moves and projectiles and if it does this move leaves Ninten in his shield break animation. However, this move pushes enemies back quiet a bit with fixed knockback and deals some damage to them when they attack Ninten with a physical move.

Special Moveset idea 2:

- Neutral B: PK Beam - Ninten charges PK Beam just like Robin's Thunder. However, this move charges quicker but has a bit less range at the beginning. It has four stages of PK Beam, one being more powerful and reaching farther. The color of the move is yellow and this move obviously deals energy based damage.

- Side B: Boomerang - Ninten takes out his boomerang, but unlike other boomerangs in Smash, this one doesn't bounce back when it hits an enemy. It keeps going and it's a multi-hit move. But it can't be aimed diagonally. It would kinda spin like the boomerang item that Smash has.

- Up B: 4th-D Slip - Ninten makes a position and using is PSI he creates a portal that takes him and anyone nearby him. The opponents cannot break free from this move once they're dragged into it.
Ninten becomes a small spark and takes him and anyone nearby wherever he wants, he can manouver freely when he's a small spark and nothing affects him in this state as he's not in the battlefield. When he reappears, he comes out surrounded in PSI, dealing damage to anyone around him and sending them back. The damage and knockback is increased to the opponents who were dragged into the 4th dimension with Ninten at the beginning of the move.

- Down B: Powershield - Just like in the games, this move does sned physical and energy damage back at the enemy. In this case, it would be a Counter. Ninten closes his eyes for a second and moves his hands to the sides of his head as he flashes to show that he's in the counter stage. As this happens there's a bubble-like shield fading in and out arround him. This means this counter is a bit bigger than Ninten himself since he's surrounded by that shield when he's countering.
This Counter works like Palutena's Counter, if it is a projectile it sends it back. If it is a physical move, Ninten counters by expanding the shield and sending everyone near away from him while dealing energy based damage.

FINAL SMASH:

Idea 1: Ninten summons Ana and Lloyd and together they perform PK Beam. A huge yellow beam that would be like Mii Gunner's Final Smash.

Idea 2: Ninten summons Ana and Lloyd and they sing the Eight Melodies, they would be represented by 8 orbs of light of different color as it spins around them, trapping everyone who gets caught in the multi-hit move before the move ends by having the eight orbs of light fusion and becoming a big flash of light that deals the final hit.

Idea 3: Ninten takes out his Ocarina and plays the Eight Melodies, they come out of his instrument and are again represented by orbs of light of different colors. However, they scatter around the screen dealing damage just like Meloetta's attack befero exploding where they are, dealing a lot of damage and knockback at the cost of this move being a bit random. However, the orbs of lights can still kill enemies even without the explosion they deal once the Ninten finishes playing the Eight Melodies.

Idea 4: Ninten uses all of his PSI to perform a big area of PSI to trap opponents in. Then the screen goes white as he summons Eevee (and maybe his companions, too) to attack his opponents.

Phew! And that's it. There were a lot of moves that I never thought what they could be or was debating what they could be, so writting this was very interesting and I think it's a good moveset! I'll definitely will be drawing all these moves to give a visual representation in the future. I hope you guys like it, since I know people go for the regular stuff like... final smash, specials and smash attacks, but I wanted to go for mostly everything!
Also, I'm a native Spanish speaker for please forgive me for any weird sentences or grammar errors! Hope you guys still like it anyway!
This is amazing! Just goes to show how much potential our boy has and I like how most of his attacks are more physical compared to Ness' and Lucas' reliance on PSI :)

Just a minor thing though, Lucas not only has the stronger fthrow out of the two, but his uthrow is actually stronger in comparison to his own fthrow and Ness' uthrow as well.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

Also, I may do one of those visual moveset things where they have drawings of the moves, but writting this is the first step and I thought maybe you guys would be interested.

Ninten would obvious have the pacman eyes that some old cartoons have, as it's part of his original design and greatly helps differentiate him from Ness and Lucas.
Ninten's hair is black, obviously. We can have a second Mother character with black hair, I mean just look at the Fire Emblem cast being mostly consisted of blue haired swordsmen. However, Ninten's hair is Spiky instead of circular like Ness and just like in his clay model, he would have more hair on the left than on the right. Maybe he would have a tuft of hair that faces to the left and the hat being raised up would help not cover it. However, his hair would still be relatively short on the back of his head and all that, maybe just some spikes of hair here and there.
Since Itoi approved Ninten's design in the commercial and later went to make the novel describing Ninten in a similar fashion he would have his white, red and blue shirt. His shorts could either be a more saturated or less saturated hue of blue. He would also be wearing his red socks and blue shoes, obviously.

Animations (general):

These PSI effects will be used for things that other characters from Mother use like throws and all that, not neccesarily for attacking. This is mainly to give something for the character to also stand out and be differenciated with since Ninten does use PSI in his own way and these effects are not completely linked to attacking and more to the characters using PSI in general like making objects or people levitate.

- Standing pose: His standing pose would be him standing like he does in his clay model (basically how he appears as a spirit). Smiling like the other two Mother protagonist.

- Jumping: Similarly to the other mom bois, Ninten when he double jumps performs a spin. Except he does it by spining to the left or right instead of making a flip or spinning his whole body around.

As for running, he would actually run in a similar fasion to Lucas, but leaning his body forward a bit like Ness, basically having a more agressive looking running animation to that of Lucas.

- Sleeping: As a REALLY small nod to his original game, he would lie on the floor on his back when he sleeps instead of sleeping while sitting down.

- Grabbing: Just like BotW Link, Ninten would grab his opponents with one hand. Also using PSI when holding them, though still using one hand while the other has two fingers pointing and touching his head.

Alternatively, his Side Taunt could also be him using the 12 inch long ruler and "try" to see how big his opponents are (or whatever he's seeing) by holding the ruler with both hands in front of his face while he closes one eye. Kinda like when you do that "crush people's heads with yoru fingers" by putting two fingers in front of your eyes and doing like they crush the head of the person you're looking at. But in this case it's Ninten using a rule to see how tall his opponents are... except that's not how it works. And just like in the original game, the ruler is just a turn waster and serves no purpose in battle or in figuring out the lengths of things. Which also makes it a perfect candidate for his side taunt.

These are moves that play a bit more into gameplay. Describing normal moves that you would regularly use in battle.

- Neutral A: Ninten performs two punches similar to Villager (without the boxing gloves, of course). But he would not have a rapid *** and finish with a punch going upwards.

- Forward Tilt: Ninten ferforms a punch, trying to reach as far as he can by leaning forward as much as possible.

- Up Tilt: Ninten jumps and headbutts.

- Dash Attack: Ninten jumps and kicks his opponent, his feet could either use PSI or not. Since I believe Ninten could use PSI in an offensive way, just less than Ness and Lucas as a nod of him not possesing an offensive PSI move.

- Forward Air: Ninten takes out his bat and sings it down, it has a hitbox that can spike opponents and it is a good kill move.

- Up Air: Ninten performs a backflip, hitting enemies in front of him and above him, this move sends opponents upwards (obviously). Also hitting enemies slightly away from from him if they're behind him. (it's a backflip, so of course he can kick people behind him with a backflip, Robin does the same with his sword)

- Back Air: Ninten punches enemies behind him as he leans back a bit to further increase the distance, plain and simple. (maybe this move could also have PSI properties or not)

Special Moveset idea 1:

- Up B: 4th-D Slip - Ninten makes a position before becoming a little small spark is completely invinsible and is unaffected by everything. This little spark leaves a small trail of lights for aesthetic purposes. You can move the spark around, which goes at a good speed. You can also move the spark around freely in any direction, too. Ninten then reappears where the spark was and goes into free fall if he's in the air. This move deals no damage and maybe it pushes enemies a little when Ninten reappears.

- Down B: PSI Shield - Ninten is surrounded by a bubble-like shield that reflects energy based projectiles instead of absorving them, this move also deals damage to anyone near but barely any knockback. This move can break like a regular shield when hit by physical moves and projectiles and if it does this move leaves Ninten in his shield break animation. However, this move pushes enemies back quiet a bit with fixed knockback and deals some damage to them when they attack Ninten with a physical move.

Special Moveset idea 2:

- Side B: Boomerang - Ninten takes out his boomerang, but unlike other boomerangs in Smash, this one doesn't bounce back when it hits an enemy. It keeps going and it's a multi-hit move. But it can't be aimed diagonally. It would kinda spin like the boomerang item that Smash has.

- Up B: 4th-D Slip - Ninten makes a position and using is PSI he creates a portal that takes him and anyone nearby him. The opponents cannot break free from this move once they're dragged into it.
Ninten becomes a small spark and takes him and anyone nearby wherever he wants, he can manouver freely when he's a small spark and nothing affects him in this state as he's not in the battlefield. When he reappears, he comes out surrounded in PSI, dealing damage to anyone around him and sending them back. The damage and knockback is increased to the opponents who were dragged into the 4th dimension with Ninten at the beginning of the move.

- Down B: Powershield - Just like in the games, this move does sned physical and energy damage back at the enemy. In this case, it would be a Counter. Ninten closes his eyes for a second and moves his hands to the sides of his head as he flashes to show that he's in the counter stage. As this happens there's a bubble-like shield fading in and out arround him. This means this counter is a bit bigger than Ninten himself since he's surrounded by that shield when he's countering.

FINAL SMASH:

Idea 2: Ninten summons Ana and Lloyd and they sing the Eight Melodies, they would be represented by 8 orbs of light of different color as it spins around them, trapping everyone who gets caught in the multi-hit move before the move ends by having the eight orbs of light fusion and becoming a big flash of light that deals the final hit.

Idea 3: Ninten takes out his Ocarina and plays the Eight Melodies, they come out of his instrument and are again represented by orbs of light of different colors. However, they scatter around the screen dealing damage just like Meloetta's attack befero exploding where they are, dealing a lot of damage and knockback at the cost of this move being a bit random. However, the orbs of lights can still kill enemies even without the explosion they deal once the Ninten finishes playing the Eight Melodies.

Idea 4: Ninten uses all of his PSI to perform a big area of PSI to trap opponents in. Then the screen goes white as he summons Eevee (and maybe his companions, too) to attack his opponents.

Phew! And that's it. There were a lot of moves that I never thought what they could be or was debating what they could be, so writting this was very interesting and I think it's a good moveset! I'll definitely will be drawing all these moves to give a visual representation in the future. I hope you guys like it, since I know people go for the regular stuff like... final smash, specials and smash attacks, but I wanted to go for mostly everything!
Damn you put a lot of thought into this! It’s pretty damn good!

Better than my unfinished one laying around collecting dust.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Turn-based JRPGs are not for everyone. Case in point, I have a friend who vastly prefers Action RPGs (so they can beat the crap out of things faster), the only exception they're willing to make is for Pokémon (nostalgia and competition reasons) and maybe Persona and Chrono Trigger.

Last edited:

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
I’ve been replaying EarthBound Beginnings lately, and the game isn’t as dated as I remember. Item management leads to some difficult and engaging choices in regards to what to keep and what to trash, and the difficulty isn’t nearly as steep as I recalled. The random encounter rate is still ridiculous, though, and the graphics are pretty underwhelming even for the NES (magicant is nice, though). Plus there’s quite a bit of repetition in dialogue. As is typical of EarthBound, the music is amazing.

D

Deleted member

After I finish Golden Sun, I will replay Mother 1 and have a good time with it.

I don't have anything to complain about the game. Every complaint I see about it is actually something I love about it and makes it nostalgic.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
I’ve been replaying EarthBound Beginnings lately, and the game isn’t as dated as I remember. Item management leads to some difficult and engaging choices in regards to what to keep and what to trash, and the difficulty isn’t nearly as steep as I recalled. The random encounter rate is still ridiculous, though, and the graphics are pretty underwhelming even for the NES (magicant is nice, though). Plus there’s quite a bit of repetition in dialogue. As is typical of EarthBound, the music is amazing.
I’m currently replaying it myself and it’s honestly better than I remember. I’ll have to post my full thoughts when I finish. Currently in Ellay.

Though I just started Persona 5 so.....

TheBeastHimself

I reaaaallly hope that if any game in the series can get a reboot, it's EB0. After seeing how lively the other games' worlds can look, I'd like to see the game get a complete visual overhaul.

D

Deleted member

I reaaaallly hope that if any game in the series can get a reboot, it's EB0. After seeing how lively the other games' worlds can look, I'd like to see the game get a complete visual overhaul.
Same. If we can only get one remade, that's the one I'm going for.

Personally though I'm confident the whole trilogy will be remade.

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
So hey guys, if a MOTHER 1 / Earthbound Beginnings remake was on the works. What would you people like to see and not to see in it?

I would like to see more depth to the story by having more cutscenes and even things like what happened to Maria and George's studies on PSI. How did it spread and how come that some people have PSI while others don't? Is it a 50/50 split or is having PSI a rarity?
I also wouldn't mind having new music or new characters in Mother if it helps expand the limited universe and character cast that the first game had, as long as they don't drastically change the story and add/contribute to it instead then I'm good.

And personally, I wouldn't like the game to be the game as it is and that's it. I love it when games have higher difficulties that you can unlock. It gives me a reason to replay the game that I love while also having the game challenging me as a player. That's one of the reasons why Fire Emblem Awakening was so awesome. I would LOVE to see that as a feature. It was sad they didn't do that for future Pokemon games like they did with Gen 5.

Other than that, there's not much I would dislike from a Mother remake, as all of the other things are things I bet would be done well since Itoi would have the final say in how they're done. But I still dislike when games don't give you the chance to replay the game on an unlocked higher difficulty. That happened with KH3 and I was dissapointed when I found out about that.

D

Deleted member

So hey guys, if a MOTHER 1 / Earthbound Beginnings remake was on the works. What would you people like to see and not to see in it?

I would like to see more depth to the story by having more cutscenes and even things like what happened to Maria and George's studies on PSI. How did it spread and how come that some people have PSI while others don't? Is it a 50/50 split or is having PSI a rarity?
I also wouldn't mind having new music or new characters in Mother if it helps expand the limited universe and character cast that the first game had, as long as they don't drastically change the story and add/contribute to it instead then I'm good.

And personally, I wouldn't like the game to be the game as it is and that's it. I love it when games have higher difficulties that you can unlock. It gives me a reason to replay the game that I love while also having the game challenging me as a player. That's one of the reasons why Fire Emblem Awakening was so awesome. I would LOVE to see that as a feature. It was sad they didn't do that for future Pokemon games like they did with Gen 5.

Other than that, there's not much I would dislike from a Mother remake, as all of the other things are things I bet would be done well since Itoi would have the final say in how they're done. But I still dislike when games don't give you the chance to replay the game on an unlocked higher difficulty. That happened with KH3 and I was dissapointed when I found out about that.
Honestly, for a Mother remake, I just need improved graphics and sound quality.

I think they would make the enemies visible, and incorporate the rolling HP mechanic in there too. Even though I love these parts as is, I do think they would do this if Mother 1 were being remade. I love both ways, so I wouldn't mind.

TheBeastHimself

My main issue with the game is the enemy encounter rate. Now I know a lot of you are patient with this, but definitely not me. If I'm trying to go somewhere and I literally cannot take a step without getting into another battle I'm gonna be annoyed. Especially when a lot of the enemies are super vicious like some of them aren't playing around. That's why I had a much easier time playing EarthBound 0, it toned down that issue a lot.

Next, the story needs to be fleshed out more. Although it had a very similar story to EarthBound, at least EarthBound had what felt like a living breathing world. I agree with what you said, I want to learn more about George and Maria, and how exactly Ninten got his PSI. Was it through genetics from an exposed George? Did PSI spread like an airborne virus?

And finally, the graphics. Maybe this is because I've only played through the game three times, but I honestly couldn't provide you with many differences between the towns because a lot of them use very similar assets, only arranged in a different way (Podunk and Merrysville come to mind). The entire overworld is very basic with simple grass and water textures surrounding each town. Also, I'd prefer to hear more than two songs in the overworld.

One last thing I'd want changed, the grinding. Once again, I know a lot of you are patient with this and don't mind, but I can't stand getting Lloyd and Ana at level one and having to grind them in Magicant. After they reach like level 8-10, you're gonna be sitting there for a while because at that point they take a while to start leveling up. I don't mind grinding in RPGs, in fact I actually enjoy it a lot of the time, but in this game it just reaches a point of tediousness for me. I just feel like it throws off the pacing of the game and whenever I get Lloyd or Ana when I'm doing a new playthrough I just stop playing for a bit because I honestly do dread this part. Maybe it's not as bad as I'm making it out to be, but that's just my opinion on it.

At the end of the day, this game is still a solid RPG, it just came out on the NES so problems such as these are to be expected. While not to discredit this game's following, I think it's fair to say that EarthBound is the most popular game in the franchise, and I hope that doesn't make EBB overlooked if they ever decide to do remakes because I really want EBB to be improved upon. The potential is all there, and very good hardware is now available.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'd like a Mother remake to use graphics like EarthBound or Mother 3, if they don't just update their looks to be like their Smash designs or something.

I personally like Pollyanna and Bein' Friends being used most of the time in the overworld, but there should be some areas/new areas with different music imo, and all the areas that use the former two tracks could have different versions - the only problem is, since Pollyanna only plays when you're alone, I'm not sure how it'd all work.

Specs64z

Smash Journeyman
I would want 4 major changes.
1) Update the graphics and battle system to the standards of the other 2 games, and smooth out some of the broken english in the dialogue.
2) When you aquire Loid/Ana, they start at higher levels (preferably 2-3 levels below the party average), and they come with some bonus cash. This greatly reduces the only really annoying grinds of the game.
3) Lower the enemy encounter rate in the overworld. Having a high encounter rate in areas like duncan’s factory, the rosemary manor, or the caves of magicant is more than manageable and makes for a tense, suffocating atmosphere that I really enjoy, but the overworld encounter rate is super annoying since the enemies encountered in the overworld are so rarely a threat and more often just a waste of time. Thank goodness for autobattle or my thumbs would hurt from mashing A so aggressively.
4) Balance Mt. Itoi’s peak. If not for EVE and the 4th D slip, this area would be so awful and game breaking.

A few quality of life changes I’d want, but aren’t necessary:
- Make it so the onyx hook works both ways so my level 20 party doesn’t have to slog through the encounter rate of the magicant caves over and over
- make it so visiting magicant or using trains doesn’t screw up my bread crumb trails
- diversify the dialogue throughout so the game becomes something really special and not just “really, really good for an NES game”.
- release the rumored players guide so newbies who are too cool for online guides don’t actually go insane trying to figure out some of the more obtuse things.

Last edited:

Dib

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 8414 8692 6408
I'd like a Mother remake to use graphics like EarthBound or Mother 3, if they don't just update their looks to be like their Smash designs or something.

I personally like Pollyanna and Bein' Friends being used most of the time in the overworld, but there should be some areas/new areas with different music imo, and all the areas that use the former two tracks could have different versions - the only problem is, since Pollyanna only plays when you're alone, I'm not sure how it'd all work.
I would like to hear Pollyana more than just at the beginning when you're alone, but I also am one of those people who like it because it has a certain symbolism to it for playing when you're alone, like if the game is rooting for you when no one else would. I still wouldn't mind some areas like your house and one town or two also sharing Pollyana. And as you said, make it so that it has different versions of that theme that fit the place you're in. There's a lot of towns that look the same, let's be real about that, so Itoi and Nintendo could put some themes into them while keeping obvious things like the general map layout.
Also, as weird at it may sound, I wouldn't mind if they decided to use music from Mother 2 / Earthbound and Mother 3 in some areas (though remixes and changed a bit, of course. Kinda like Sanctuary Guardian, which is Battle agaisnt a Dangerous Foe)

I would want 4 major changes.
1) Update the graphics and battle system to the standards of the other 2 games, and smooth out some of the broken english in the dialogue.
2) When you aquire Loid/Ana, they start at higher levels (preferably 2-3 levels below the party average), and they come with some bonus cash. This greatly reduces the only really annoying grinds of the game.
3) Lower the enemy encounter rate in the overworld. Having a high encounter rate in areas like duncan’s factory, the rosemary manor, or the caves of magicant is more than manageable and makes for a tense, suffocating atmosphere that I really enjoy, but the overworld encounter rate is super annoying since the enemies encountered in the overworld are so rarely a threat and more often just a waste of time. Thank goodness for autobattle or my thumbs would hurt from mashing A so aggressively.
4) Balance Mt. Itoi’s peak. If not for EVE and the 4th D slip, this area would be so awful and game breaking.

A few quality of life changes I’d want, but aren’t necessary:
- Make it so the onyx hook works both ways so my level 20 party doesn’t have to slog through the encounter rate of the magicant caves over and over
- make it so visiting magicant or using trains doesn’t screw up my bread crumb trails
- diversify the dialogue throughout so the game becomes something really special and not just “really, really good for an NES game”.
- release the rumored players guide so newbies who are too cool for online guides don’t actually go insane trying to figure out some of the more obtuse things.
I really agree with all of these. Even though I like the more simple approach of just taking the damage inmediatly, I like some changes and polish in games when are remade and having things like the battle system from Earthbound and Mother 3 would be awesome along with being able to see the enemies.
As I said in response to TheCJBrine TheCJBrine I would love to see locations looking completely different and having more recognizable designs and themes. I would hate to see all the buildings being mostly white with no difference whatsoever.

Last edited:

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord

I made a post a long loooooong time ago (Like back in December. which is a long time ago for this thread heh) about what I wanted but what the hell I'll post again cause I like you guys. ;)

Firstly, update the graphics to Mother 3 standards. I don't need anything super fancy. GBA graphics are certainly enough for me as they're pleasant to look at and make the environment more lively. Giving towns a distinct identity would be really appreciated. Pokemon Firered and Leafgreen are good examples of an 8-bit game with a GBA remake and the locations there looks so much more lively than in the originals. The updated graphics also gives the ability for the characters to show more emotions. (Like how they animated Luc crying for example) It'd be nice to see some simple animations such as Ninten playing his Ocarina when using it or holding up the Onyx Hook when he uses it. Kinda how like when you use a Pokemon's HM in 3rd and 4th gen. There's also the Fallin Love scene which would also be amazing if updated.

Speaking of Ana, if any character needs a bit of an overhaul, it's her in my opinion. I honestly felt more chemistry between Ninten and Loid than Ninten and Ana, thought that might be due to Ana technically being an optional party member. So I suppose the solution there would to not make her optional and make her feel more like one of the team. You can complain about Paula being kidnapped too often, but her absence means more in the long run. Am I making sense? Just want her to feel more important and needed in the plot is all.

Oh god don't get me started on the PSI lore stuff as I've got a big Game Theory™ when it comes to all that. (It ties into my Ness and Ninten are half brothers theory and all that Jazz) so a little more background knowlege would also be great. But what would be dope as hell would be more info on Giegue's species, like what they're called, what planet they're from, whether they were born with PSI or it was created like the Andalite morphing cube things from Animorphs, if that defensive shield thing is just a giant breathing device I'll take anything honestly.

Other things would be the inclusion of the rolling hit point system, enemies appearing on the map, give Ninten Ana's defensive PSI to balance them out more and maybe Ninten's asthma acting up in other areas such as when enemies use PK Fire or smoke attacks it could have a chance of going off? Dunno. I just dig realism in my games and having it go off only because of one type of enemy’s smoke is a tad ridiculous. Oh give Ninten a redesign as well.

Honestly the plot/story is different enough from EB to keep someone engaged as it is, (I personally don't see too much in common outside of Giegue being a thing and there being melodies but that's just me. I'm a stickler with details) so just a few fixes here in there without completely altering the story would be welcomed.

There's probs something I forgot buuuut. There's a few of my cents for you all.

Last edited:

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
I was bored this evening and feeling a bit down, so I made a lofi hiphop remix of the 'Fallin Love' tune that plays between Ana and Ninten when they dance. Such an underrated, bittersweet melody and a memorable moment of the game. Feel free to listen if you wish: Puppy Love

Edit: Tweaked the mix a tad

Last edited:

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622

In addition to updating the graphics, animations, music and gameplay mechanics, I'd say balance out the difficulty. There were a quite a few difficulty spikes with enemies that have one-hit kills and those annoying binding ropes. Also, add one more rest area in Spookane before Rosemary Manor, because the only one there was the Hotel which was a one-time use.

There are a couple more things I would like to see added related to the PSI. First, give Ninten at least one offensive PSI attack, either PK Beam or maybe even a "Favorite Thing" move in a similar fashion to PK Rockin and PK Love. Second (and this applies to all three games), let Ninten, Ness, and Lucas have access to PSI Magnet. Not that it matters too much, but I just didn't understand why the three protagonists didn't have the move while all the other PSI users did.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Currently buying the missing parts to my new and improved Ninten cosplay since it got completely trashed since the last con. I also lost my bandana which is always fun. So once I'm done with him I'll start on my boy Claus. Hopefully reatching all the stripes to my shirt won't take 10 years and I'll be able to start on Clausy soon. He's my son after all heh.

TheBeastHimself

Currently buying the missing parts to my new and improved Ninten cosplay since it got completely trashed since the last con. I also lost my bandana which is always fun. So once I'm done with him I'll start on my boy Claus. Hopefully reatching all the stripes to my shirt won't take 10 years and I'll be able to start on Clausy soon. He's my son after all heh.
Send us pictures when they're done, please :)

Mad Duck

Smash Journeyman
There are a couple more things I would like to see added related to the PSI. First, give Ninten at least one offensive PSI attack, either PK Beam or maybe even a "Favorite Thing" move in a similar fashion to PK Rockin and PK Love. Second (and this applies to all three games), let Ninten, Ness, and Lucas have access to PSI Magnet. Not that it matters too much, but I just didn't understand why the three protagonists didn't have the move while all the other PSI users did.
Maybe it's because they can hold their own without PSI. They have decent power so if they run out of PP they can do average damage with only normal attacks.The others.....not so much.Their bread and butter attack is pretty much PK Freeze so maybe the developers gave them PSI Magnet so they can stack some extra PP

AdmN30

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdmiralN
Switch FC
SW-2324-3227-3622
Maybe it's because they can hold their own without PSI. They have decent power so if they run out of PP they can do average damage with only normal attacks.The others.....not so much.Their bread and butter attack is pretty much PK Freeze so maybe the developers gave them PSI Magnet so they can stack some extra PP
Fair enough. Like I said, it wouldn’t matter that much.

The Anigriffin

Smash Lord
Update on Brave here. Turns out I was wrong about Young Link being a different size and he's actually size 13 as well so I will admit that I was wrong there. That's what I get for believing a loser on Gamefaqs.

Buuuuuuut the official size list got posted by Fatmanonice in the Geno thread so I might as well post it here as I noticed something kinda interesting considering the sizes. Not only that but the shield data for Brave has also been found as well. It's considerably larger than Brave, but shield size like weight is rather inconstant to the character sizes. For example, Isabelle has a larger shield than Lucas despite her being shorter. Here's the link for those interested.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Uet0uRRAqZDG4pQBW39Wq34IV8ie4J-GuSKHVhb-gag/edit#gid=0

Though this is what I noticed after looking at all the sizes. All the size 13 characters are children. Brave being a kid is looking very likely.

Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 12.55.08 PM.png

Top Bottom