• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NJ/NY bi-weekly RanBats! Second event 1/22/2011! Bring a TV for free venue fee!

What side event would you like to have here?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Ketchum

Collegiate Starleague Smash Director
AllisBrawl Link

Please click the "I am attending this tournament" button to spread the word and generate hype!

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE OF EVENT DATES

January 8, 2011: First event
January 15, 2011: KTAR 4
January 22, 2011: Second event
January 29, 2011: Viridian City 9
February 12, 2011: Third event
February 19, 2011: Pound 5
March 5, 2011: Fourth event (week off to accommodate recovery from Pound)

Note that only these events will count toward the ranking system and other tournaments are only listed here to account for our system of dating. Some people seem to misunderstand this and think that KTAR, VC and Pound will affect ranbats--this is NOT the case, they are merely listed to help provide a quick tournament calendar within immediate reach.

THIS IS ALL TENTATIVE AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE BASED ON THE VENUE AND OTHER TOURNAMENTS IN THE REGION

Current Standings

(will be filled in after first event)​

Introduction

It's been a long time since this region has had a steady venue. Since then, tournament attendance in NJ/NY declined rapidly, eventually hitting all-time lows that greatly contrasted the healthy numbers we drew in in 2008 and the earlier part of 2009. However, there's no need to worry anymore, because the TOs of this region have come together to bring you a fresh new bi-weekly series at the old Viridian City venue, the eSpot in Jersey City!​

What are RanBats?

"RanBat" stands for "ranked battle". Basically, they're tournaments that assign point values to placings and essentially form a mini-circuit. The points assist with seeding at future ranbat events (and even a possible circuit finale). Many fighting game communities hold ranbat sessions on a frequent basis for competitiveness, fun, and training. Now that we have a consistent venue, our Brawl scene is capable of doing the same!

Venue

The eSpot
445 Central Avenue, Jersey City, NJ

The eSpot is a LAN/gaming center conveniently located right on Central Ave. It is extremely accessible from New York City and North Jersey. Jersey City can be reached via routes 1/9 and is very close to route 3 and the New Jersey Turnpike. Seven Viridian City events have been hosted there, so most people should be familiar with it, but it'll be just as enjoyable even if you're new!

The venue, while not huge, can certainly hold a lot of people. There are couches, swivel chairs, and fold-up chairs, as well as plenty of tables to hold setups. The only flaw this venue has is that it only has no Wiis and only a few TVs, and they're HD--this means we need you guys to bring setups!

Hosts

Doom
Alex Strife
Keitaro
D1
RJ
HelpR​

Goals

Our goals here are simple--provide a friendly-but-competitive environment to rejuvenate the life of the New Jersey/New York Brawl scene. The ranking system will provide incentive for existing top players to defend their titles while the welcoming environment will encourage people who are new to the scene to come out and become a part of the community.

Another thing we hope to bring back is crew spirit. With crew battles being a potential third event here, it'd be awesome to see crews form up and aspire to be the best again!

Event schedule

10:00 A.M. - Venue opens/registration begins
11:00 A.M. - Doubles registration closes
11:30 A.M. - Doubles begins
1:30 P.M. - Singles registration closes
2:00 P.M. - Singles begins
End of singles (schedule-dependent) - Third event begins
10:00 P.M. - Event ends, venue closes​

My goal here is to ensure that everything runs in a timely manner so we can all be out of here by 10. The schedule will be adhered to SHARPLY, and there will be no exceptions. If you plan to arrive late for teams "because nobody's gonna be there at 11:30", I'm sorry, but that's not going to fly. If you're experiencing an unexpected delay, be SURE to call somebody at the venue ahead of time and let them know.

In addition to getting home early, another plus to this early schedule of events is that if everything runs well, we can have a third event! I'll be making a poll in this thread and on AllisBrawl, and the event with the most collective votes will be selected as the third event. The choices will be as follows:

• Mid tier singles
  • Mid tier doubles
  • Low tier singles
  • Low tier doubles
  • Brawl-
  • Project: M
  • Crew battles
  • Draft crews

Make sure to cast your vote before the event! Remember, votes from both Smashboards AND AllisBrawl will be counted towards the total, so vote on both sites.

Pricing

VENUE FEE: $5
Doubles: $10 per player ($20 per team)
Singles: $10 per player
Side event: $5 per player (regardless of event choice, including crews)​

$5 venue fee!?

Yup, it's back. Under a few conditions, though!

The eSpot is a business. You know, a place that sells goods and/or services to pay for expenses and make profit. By having a Smash tournament in their building, they have to prohibit customers from accessing a certain number of their computers, thus cutting into their daily revenue (especially big on a weekend date). This means that in order to have a $5 venue fee, we need to bring in some good numbers. 40 people would be $200 for them, which sounds nice. Even more would be better, though.

It's a possibility that we'll be able to give discounts for bringing setups, but that is tentative right now and will depend largely on turnout and agreements with the venue.

Point system

1st: 200
2nd: 125
3rd: 100
4th: 75
5th: 50
6th: 40
7th: 30
8th: 20
9th: 10
13th: 5

17th and down: 1​

(subject to change)

Circuit finale to be determined. Consolation matches will be played out over ties for 5th and 7th. There is no splitting. All sets must be played out. If you wish to divide the money amongst yourselves, do it under the table, but every match will count for season points.

Stay tuned for updates!

Livestream

This venue does have livestream capabilities! For everyone that can't make it out, make sure to watch for top quality matches and the finest commentary from D1, Doom, and other commentators that may be attending like dmbrandon and Gunblade! Of course, if MD/VA decides to attend, you can be sure that Coney and TKO will be on the mic too!

Rules and Stages

GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS
EVERYONE MUST READ THESE!

• NO MALICIOUS HECKLING. This will result in a three-step warning process. You will first be nicely asked to stop. If not, then a strict warning will be issued. The third offense will result in you being removed from the venue without a refund.
  • NO cursing. I know this is hard, but please contain your swearing to personal conversations. This is the store's rule, so please respect it. They are a business and cannot have people screaming obscenities at a video game.
  • NO REFUNDS! Once you pay, that's it, excluding very specific circumstances.
  • B.Y.O.C. = BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER! The store will not provide a controller for you nor will we.
  • We (the venue, and T.O.'s in charge) are NOT responsible for anything stolen or any items left behind. If you bring a Wii for us to use, you better keep an eye on it. When you bring your controller, keep it at your side at all costs. We can not be your eyes and ears, you must be responsible for your own stuff.

BRAWL RULESET

• 3 stock
  • 8 minute time limit
  • Sets played are best of three. Winners, losers and grand finals will be best of five.
  • Double elimination
  • Ledge grab limit: 35 (70 per team in teams)
  • All items are set to OFF and NONE
  • In doubles, team attack is set to ON and life stealing is allowed

Set format (in order):

1. Players choose their characters for the first match*
2. Players start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpick of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Starter Stage List or the Counter Stage List
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Stages

This has been a largely controversial topic lately. With many tournaments in Atlantic North allowing Pictochat recently, as well as the MLG and National stagelists being released, it is difficult to determine which one will be best fit for these tournaments. This means that it is up to the attendees to decide! Since a Smashboards thread/AllisBrawl page can only hold one poll at a time, please post the stagelist you'd like to see here! (Note that poll results will NOT be final, unlike the side event, and TO discretion will play a part in this as well)

Options: Atlantic North stagelist, Atlantic North + Pictochat, MLG stagelist, National stagelist

Atlantic North stagelist

Neutral:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counterpick:

Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Castle Siege
Pokemon Stadium
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise​

*Atlantic North + Pictochat option is the same, with the addition of Pictochat to the counterpick list

MLG stagelist

Starter:

Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Halberd
Delfino Plaza
Castle Siege
Pokemon Stadium

Counterpick:

Frigate Orpheon
Norfair
Pictochat
Green Greens
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar​

National stagelist

Battlefield
Battleship Halberd
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Final Destination
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1
Pokémon Stadium 2
Frigate Orpheon
Picto Chat
Rainbow Cruise
Smashville
Yoshi's Island​

Cast your vote as soon as possible! Deadline for voting on a stagelist is CHRISTMAS DAY (December 25, 2010)!

Interested players:

Inferno
Chaos Marth
Punishment Divine
Boofy!
Yes!
Vinnie
Gunblade
Cheese
P_wii
Dr. Brawl
Inui
HanZo
Hanzhou
Nairo
Allied
NAKAT
Anti
Izumi
Orion
dabuz
Crismas
MechWarrior
Rookie
False
EmuKiller
dmbrandon​

HYPE!!!!

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
That was quick Doom. I'll be at just about all of these helping with hosting and kicking but in tourney.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
Seems sweet. The only problem I have is that there is an amateur bracket to get into pro for the finals. I've never liked that because it creates people sniping big pots by showing up just for the finale. You should not be able to qualify for the finals bracket without points (just run a non-circuit tournament the day of the finals).

Max Ketchum

Amateur bracket will not pay out.

Edit: Never mind Cheese, I get what you're saying. Like if M2K had no points and then came to the event, won amateur bracket, and randomly got put into pro. I'll talk this over with the other hosts and we'll determine what the best option is.

Also, OP updated with a tentative list of future events and point system.

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
My recommendation, as I've done this before and cheese attended the finale, is to make your points system extend to the top 32, and have a minimum points requirement to enter the finals. Including pound in the points system may be a bad idea though.

Max Ketchum

Pound doesn't count towards the point system, nor do KTAR or Viridian City. I'm just listing them there to show the schedule.

HelpR

Smash Ace
this obviously has alot of promise, and ranking in our region will obviously be a sweet bonus. Hopefully this will pan out extremely well, and i'll be happy to contribute whatever i can to make this a success

Max Ketchum

People need to spread the word. Our region finally has a consistent tournament series again!

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I vote none of the above for any of those side events.

Running another game, and advertising properly will get you bigger numbers. The Brawl community is very disconnected from every other gaming community, including games from the same series.

Also, unless a Project M tournament is being supported by the dev team, running it is kinda' odd/sketchy, imo.

Keitaro

It hard to actually run a different game, especially for a different system. In the future I'd like to include MVC3 into my tournies but going about that seems tough. Not sure how its usually done especially when a whole different gaming system would be needed for it.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
It hard to actually run a different game, especially for a different system. In the future I'd like to include MVC3 into my tournies but going about that seems tough. Not sure how its usually done especially when a whole different gaming system would be needed for it.
Doesn't necessarily have to be a game on a different console.

I don't want to bug you guys about this too much. Just throwing this idea out there. "Thinking big" is the proper mindset to have here.

Max Ketchum

I agree with Keitaro--systems would be an issue. It'd also be extremely troublesome to try dragging in players of other fighting games to an event hosted by Smashers.

Edit: TvC would be a cool suggestion. Still, we'd have to work on providing other fighter communities with some reason to come to our events, since we aren't an established name to them.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
I agree with Keitaro--systems would be an issue. It'd also be extremely troublesome to try dragging in players of other fighting games to an event hosted by Smashers.

Edit: TvC would be a cool suggestion. Still, we'd have to work on providing other fighter communities with some reason to come to our events, since we aren't an established name to them.
TvC? Get with the time, lil' baby Doomer.

Max Ketchum

Not that many people are going to SiiS, as far as I know. One, maybe two NJ/NY carpools? Either way, this still provides a really good alternative to traveling ten hours. With the location and cheap venue fee, I think we'll still be able to pull a good amount.

AllyKnight

Not that many people are going to SiiS, as far as I know. One, maybe two NJ/NY carpools? Either way, this still provides a really good alternative to traveling ten hours. With the location and cheap venue fee, I think we'll still be able to pull a good amount.
Will's carpool and Izumi's if he's still going, possibly more. good luck though lol

Max Ketchum

Ah, damn. Well, I hopefully people still go. One or two carpools not going shouldn't make a difference.

Keitaro

Lots of big tournies in January which is why I originally suggested February to start this. Completely forgot about SIIS4 which I was planning on going to also but there should still be a good amount of NJ/NY at the first one. If not oh well, the next one would make up for it.

Keitaro

Btw we should try to have the 3rd event on Febuary 12th to avoid conflicting with Tony T's NYC tourney.

MechWarriorNY

Smash Master
3DS FC
5387-4245-6828
Holy ****.
This is only 20 minutes from me.
Will try to make it to this series.

ch33s3

Smash Lord
Amateur bracket will not pay out.

Edit: Never mind Cheese, I get what you're saying. Like if M2K had no points and then came to the event, won amateur bracket, and randomly got put into pro. I'll talk this over with the other hosts and we'll determine what the best option is.

Also, OP updated with a tentative list of future events and point system.
Exactly. Also, may I suggest (not for the first one), taking a small amount from each pot and saving it for the finals? Since this is going to be consistent, it'll make the finals super hype, and each event won't suffer much (10% out of the pot or so isn't very much when split up between everyone who cashes).

Max Ketchum

Yeah I was considering like a 5%-per-event thing to make finals have a huge pot

Maybe I'll have like a 1-point requirement to enter the amateur bracket on finals day and give everybody below 13th 1 point just for entering each event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom