• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NJ Finder - Tournament Finder Updated (10/8) See new thread for Brawl Rankings

JFox

Smash Hero
Everyone arguing about rankings, please read:

There are two kinds of lists, both of which I don't really wanna be a part of. The first is the list that I've always made. The one's that take heavily into account the tournaments abilities of players. This one uses tournament activity and placings more so that actual skill, and is usually your run of the mill list. The obvious problem with making a list like this is that no one in NJ is active enough. When I made the last list, people had an average of about 5 tournies (I think Eggm had 8 or 9) in a three month span. Now people have an average of MAYBE 2, if that even. So I can't make this type of list.

The second list which I THOUGHT was an option was to make a "fun" list which ranked everyone who has ever recently been ranked while they were in their "prime". So in other words, I wouldn't rank Reik by how good he is now, but how good he used to be back when he was still active. (A little after the time that he beat chillindude829, which was back during smashtality 3) I would try to take everyone's theoretical best point, and than rank them based on that. Now for some, like Eggm for example, that would be now, cuz he is still in his prime.

This second list failed because A) THIS IS THE TYPE OF LIST that you have to active and knowledgable about players. This is more the type of list that you don't really use tournaments, but use your own knowledge of players. I am far to inactive at this point to know these sorts of things. I found that while I was trying to do this, I was actually wrong about players because they have improved recently. So I dropped out. B) It was just me and Inui. There are two problems with that, one is that Inui is a terribly biased person which is unchanging in his decision making. So making this type of a list with him SUCKS. C) It was just me and Inui. The second problem with this is that this type of list is a list which is inevitably biased. You can't have only two people on this sort of a list. You need more people than just two, to get rid of the bias.

If you choose to make this second list, use Eggm. He knows more than anyone IMO about people's raw smash skill. But you also need like 4 or 5 other people IMO, probably not only with good players, but also some . I would suggest making this for fun, its not gonna be that serious. You can't really make a list like this with 100% accuracy since its not based on results.

So yeah, best of luck to you guys.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
If we are going to make a list....

Instead of arguing who should be a panelist..??? We should concentrate on just getting a sufficient amount of people to create a new list in the MOST unbiased possible. I think that would be smart.

So with that being said I think we should go and make the list through the system we once had.

Its an obvious fact that no matter how unbiased you claim you will be there will be some bias decisions.

Eggm will probably push for me being higher than some other because me and Eggm are really good friends and I know Eggm more than say THP members or TSA members.

Obviously the same goes for THP panelists and so on and so forth.

So there should be an equal amount of panelists from each crew I suppose.

That would create the most unbiased list assuming of course every panelist speaks up.

So ...... Eggm is in the Tunes and is a very active member in NJ as we all know. Also if Jfox is planning to step down as a panelist there is no reason not to place him as a panelist.

Others should obviously participate if the list is made by just Eggm and Inui its obvious the list will have too much bias.

TSA should participate too I guess maybe Spamerer or Keitaro I dunno someone should though.

Blah blah blah everyone knows the rest.......

please make a list <_<

Its near the possible end of melee I think one last list would be a great idea for the state of NJ of course I am partially saying this because I know I would probably make the list and would like to see where I stand but I'm sure I am not the only one who feels this way.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Hell naw son, you suck, you lost to inui.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Oh yea I forgot :( I suck :(.

But I'm pretty sure that through Inui logic Inui is better than M2K >_< and I'm obviously not near m2k's level so I clearly can't be anywhere near Inui's level >_>.

Eggm find a reason for me to go down to Neptune >_> MAKE KEVIN PLAY LOTSA SMASH

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
I think tec0 would make a better panelist than Eggm. No offense to Eggm, but tec0 is asian therefore he is more likely to analyze the list until it is absolutely 100% perfect.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I think tec0 would make a better panelist than Eggm. No offense to Eggm, but tec0 is asian therefore he is more likely to analyze the list until it is absolutely 100% perfect.

Its true I can also use computer programs that I can make and calculus in a clutch situation because I just inherit stuff like this.

LOL

I don't bother to go on AIM or on the boards enough to be a panelist <_<

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Teczero: You sure find the time to invade my Marth Q&A thread now don't you?

Go back to your Shiek Q&A thread boy!!!!

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Well, I wouldn't say I'm that biased, JFox. You just had no idea how good people like Spam got. You insisted on like...a tier gap between Eggm and Spam, which is clearly false. They're both about the same in terms of skill, with Eggm winning due to being able to travel.

Etc.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Inui your biased because your human at least I hope so....

Also Eggm does deserve to be higher on the power ranking because he plays more and places very well......

EL: LOL I already have invaded that THREAD BWAR BWAR BWAR

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Also Eggm does deserve to be higher on the power ranking because he plays more and places very well......
I don't think anyone disagrees with that. But the lists were pretty awful. I think I was like #6 on JFox's list, IIRC you were #3, I think Sensei was either #4 or 5 and Ryoko was the other #, and Reik somehow had a higher # than me on the Inui's list <_<. By higher number, I think it was like 4. Spam, 5. Reik. <_< >_> <_< wtf?

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I would love to be third :) thats what I thought I should be although I'm not so sure....

LOL btw I never heard of any of the lists.

And although I <3<3<3 Reik he just doesn't play >_> I don't even know where to place him >_>

Inui

Banned via Warnings
lol @ Tec0 in third.

I have bias as much as any human would, yes.

Also, I didn't say Spam should be ranked higher. I said the gap between him and Eggm is nonexistent skillwise, and that Eggm wins due to traveling.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
14th, no. But I'd put Mew2King, Eggm, Reik, Ryoko, and Spam over you for sure. That's already 6th at best. Then you're competing with me, Sensei, and Lord Knight for that spot.

Keitaro, you're free to IM me about making a list.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Why is Reik and Ryoko over me?

They don't enter enough singles tournies >_>.

I can see and probably do agree that Kashif should be above me because I haven't done that well as of late.

I think I should place higher than you LK and Sensei.

Sensei hasn't been entering a lot of tournies either he entered pound and like one SPOC >_>

And I usually place higher than LK >_>

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Why is Reik and Ryoko over me?

They don't enter enough singles tournies >_>.

I can see and probably do agree that Kashif should be above me because I haven't done that well as of late.

I think I should place higher than you LK and Sensei.

Sensei hasn't been entering a lot of tournies either he entered pound and like one SPOC >_>

And I usually place higher than LK >_>
If we're doing the list based on skill-at-peak stuff, then no. Ryoko and Reik are over most of NJ in that case.

Because of this, activity isn't a huge deal. It's all about how good someone was at their peak. You can't honestly say you're better at Smash than Ryoko, can you?

Cort

Apple Head
I think teczero is better than Ryoko, plus he was the clutchiest clutcher at Pound 3 crews.

also lol @ basing a list off of peaks

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
I haven't played Ryoko enough to gauge if I'm better than Ryoko and I won't say because Ryoko is crazy good and I love playing him its great competition.

Well... if its gonna go by prime of their skill then I should be like no where so whatever.

Ryoko has been playing like 4 times the length that I have been playing.

Reik, uhh I dunno I do ok vs Reik and I usually do ok vs Ryoko

But whatever >_>

EDIT: Cort: I love you :) if you go to PC's to play you should tell me so I can visit to play PC soooooo invited me =D

Inui

Banned via Warnings
Well, you're not making NJ's list, Cort. I can't possibly put Tec0 over Ryoko unless the list will be tournaments only. I can't see why anyone would put Tec0 over Ryoko in a list based only on skill. Ryoko is a monster.

I think we should just...not consider activity and go with how good we think people are and go off of accomplishments.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Reik, uhh I dunno I do ok vs Reik
Reik's Falco is stupendously sexy and amazing. He does the most arousing death combos to M2K's Marth. I haven't played Reik enough recently, but unless he went down in skill I can say with certainty that he's better than both me and you.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Well, I wouldn't say I'm that biased, JFox. You just had no idea how good people like Spam got. You insisted on like...a tier gap between Eggm and Spam, which is clearly false. They're both about the same in terms of skill, with Eggm winning due to being able to travel.

Etc.
lol @ Tec0 in third.

I have bias as much as any human would, yes.

Also, I didn't say Spam should be ranked higher. I said the gap between him and Eggm is nonexistent skillwise, and that Eggm wins due to traveling.
14th, no. But I'd put Mew2King, Eggm, Reik, Ryoko, and Spam over you for sure. That's already 6th at best. Then you're competing with me, Sensei, and Lord Knight for that spot.

Keitaro, you're free to IM me about making a list.
If inui's a panelist count me out, these are some of the dumbest things i've read on smashboards. In fact count me entirely I can't deal with this. Tec0 how did you put darkpch on ignore? I'm doing that to inui.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
^^^^YHESH!!!!!

The eggmaster is offically back on my cool list.

Welcome back, Timothy, welcome back.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Reik just hasn't been playing as often I went roughly even with him and that was a WHILE ago and I haven't heard of him playing >_< since I last played him >_>.

Tim just click Inui's avatar and click "Add *user to your Ignore Lisgt"

LOL

slikvik

Smash Master
**** MD/VA. I have no region. no really...
so much bias in this thread...wow. I think i will be a panelist since I don't have any crew affiliation that would generate bias. Should Reik(seen the guy maybe once) or LK(PA now) even qualify? How good someone was at there peak? lol

Cheezit

Smash Ace
hmmmmm ummmm uhhhhhhhh hmph unfortunately everyone is biased in some way some are just more then other, i don't want a part in this but i have information from my biweeklys as brackets go you can IM on Aim if u need any of them.

cheezit out for a nice day in the snow.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
I've played MOST of the people in the top 15, and the ones I haven't played, haven't really been at a tourny much. (Save Bass whom I never got to play and Cheezit.) There are a LOT more people to consider to replace some of the inactive top 15. Reik said himself that he should be qualified for NJ rankings. Then you've got newcomers like RoyKid and TenNoTensai who have done rather well in tournaments that they've been in. We can't just base it on the currents, because it wouldn't be fair to those who have been showing their grit as of late. What about Shakugan who has made REMARKABLE progress? He's managed to beat some of the top 15 in Jersey and PA. We can't forget these. *sigh* I don't know. I'm gonna keep quiet since my opinion doesn't matter, lol.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
everything here is too confusing lol. we rly need 2 lists, one normal one like the ones that have been going on based on tournament activity and what not, and one based on all time peak skill, which is a great idea since brawl is coming. sort of a cool way to see like the history of jersey melee.

when were talkn tourney active lists, were losing a lot of people like reik or ryoko that could easily be on the all time list, and we also have a bunch of newcomers like me, gotm, roykid, and tensai.

this all time skill peak one though, how long would it go back. Perhaps we could do overall skill of 07-08, or also include like 06 and 05? Anything before 05 might be really hard to judge since a lot of us didn't play smash back then, and the meta game greatly changes making it near impossible to gauge the skills of pros from like 04 and 07.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
lousy smashboards is makin me double post. i dont care if theres no nodes to serve my request or whatever. crappy *** server

everything here is too confusing lol. we rly need 2 lists, one normal one like the ones that have been going on based on tournament activity and what not, and one based on all time peak skill, which is a great idea since brawl is coming. sort of a cool way to see like the history of jersey melee.

when were talkn tourney active lists, were losing a lot of people like reik or ryoko that could easily be on the all time list, and we also have a bunch of newcomers like me, gotm, roykid, and tensai.

this all time skill peak one though, how long would it go back. Perhaps we could do overall skill of 07-08, or also include like 06 and 05? Anything before 05 might be really hard to judge since a lot of us didn't play smash back then, and the meta game greatly changes making it near impossible to gauge the skills of pros from like 04 and 07.

Cheezit

Smash Ace
What about Shakugan who has made REMARKABLE progress? He's managed to beat some of the top 15 in Jersey and PA.
No offense but who did he Beat in Tourny that was the top 15 in NJ. I don't know the guy nor have i met him but I checked all the Smashapoc results and Clash of titans results lol and he didn't beat any of the "said" top 15

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Lol, ask him yourself. (That wasn't meant to be mean) The one that comes to my mind right now is Emblem Lord. I think he also beat Doteater. (who is talked about a lot). *shrugs* He always talks about who he beats, and some of the people are actually good.

Edit: I would mention something else, but a certain someone might get mad and start flaming, lol. I'm just saying consider him, the kid is good.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I've played MOST of the people in the top 15, and the ones I haven't played, haven't really been at a tourny much. (Save Bass whom I never got to play and Cheezit.) There are a LOT more people to consider to replace some of the inactive top 15. Reik said himself that he should be qualified for NJ rankings. Then you've got newcomers like RoyKid and TenNoTensai who have done rather well in tournaments that they've been in. We can't just base it on the currents, because it wouldn't be fair to those who have been showing their grit as of late. What about Shakugan who has made REMARKABLE progress? He's managed to beat some of the top 15 in Jersey and PA. We can't forget these. *sigh* I don't know. I'm gonna keep quiet since my opinion doesn't matter, lol.
Wow I guess I accidentally didn't read all of your post. Seriously, you're recommending Shakugan for power rankings. No. No way. No offense to the kid, but like.... No. It can't happen. Who can he beat that is reputable? I can't think of a single person. Not even in friendlies.

Edit: After seeing Ame's post

Lol, ask him yourself. (That wasn't meant to be mean) The one that comes to my mind right now is Emblem Lord. I think he also beat Doteater. (who is talked about a lot). *shrugs* He always talks about who he beats, and some of the people are actually good.

Edit: I would mention something else, but a certain someone might get mad and start flaming, lol. I'm just saying consider him, the kid is good.
I haven't played Emblem Lord, so no comment. But I'm pretty sure he can't really beat him. As for Dot Eater. No. He can't. End of story. He can't beat me and Dot Eater is better than me and considered the #1 Samus in PA. Last time I played Dot Eater (CoT2) we played like 7 friendlies. First his Roy which I beat, then like 5 Samus dittos which I won 4 of. It didn't seem to hard, so I didn't know if I got better at the time or what. Then I said last match, and he goes Roy and 3 stocks me with ease haha. ...sanbagger... lol

And don't ask Shakugan, you really can't trust him with stuff like that. He's been caught lying when he's said he's beaten people who he hasn't. Only way to find out is to ask Dot and EL.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
O.o Chibo hasn't Shakugan beat you....? Just a question, because I've seen him do bad, and seen him do good. I know when he's not on his A-game it's very close between you two. Granted, I know that Shakugan has room for improvement, but....well, you know I'm leaving it at that. I'm just saying look at the kid. He tends to be careless at times, but when he's good, he's good. *shrugs* There are a lot of people that should be LOOKED at or considered. I didn't say put him in there, I just think he deserves fair chance. Unlike myself, who seems to screw up a lot in tourny matches, lol.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
O.o Chibo hasn't Shakugan beat you....? Just a question, because I've seen him do bad, and seen him do good. I know when he's not on his A-game it's very close between you two. Granted, I know that Shakugan has room for improvement, but....well, you know I'm leaving it at that. I'm just saying look at the kid. He tends to be careless at times, but when he's good, he's good. *shrugs* There are a lot of people that should be LOOKED at or considered. I didn't say put him in there, I just think he deserves fair chance. Unlike myself, who seems to screw up a lot in tourny matches, lol.
hes beaten me before in friendlies, but as long as im not playing absolutely terrible (which has happened before such as at one of the rankings cause i was already playing smash that day for over 12 hours), but if im ok I can definitely beat him, and when im doing good I destroy him no offense. you watched us play friendlies at SPOC 3 i think it was. the one at ur TV with the recording. I was 3 stocking him no probz. hes good and has greatly improved over the couple months I've known him, but there is no way he is power rankings worthy. Just look at his latest tourney, SPOC IV. Sure he tied with me, but my bracket was very hard. I lost to El Komo and Slikvik (**** stitches and bombs, i was beating him in friendlies the night before), and he lost to Will and KCS.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Will is a monster, and KCS....well if you remember what I said about him getting careless....yeah. I don't think it was 3-stock, either, I watched those matches. Anyhow, *shrugs* Many people should at least be looked at, save myself, xD. It's all I'm saying. We can't just concentrate on the past. If we did then Reik would STILL rank higher than Spammer. If you look on that tape, Reik ***** Spammer. (no offense Spammer) We need to look at the now, please.

Edit: WOW that came out wrong. Well, when I mean the past I mean Reik who doesn't enter singles, ATM. that was SPOC 3. The match between him and Spammer.

Top Bottom