• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NJ Finder - Tournament Finder Updated (10/8) See new thread for Brawl Rankings

Scar

#HarveyDent
OK let's not turn this into a ToS member thing as best in NJ topic. Shakugan is probably not going to be on the list this time, because he is not yet good at SSBM. Ame, he talks about who he beats? Never a good information source. But if we continue to rank later in Melee then possibly/probably.

Chibo, remember the crew battle thing over SPOC4? This is starting to look like that. I really don't think, no matter how hard you want it, that you're going to be on that top 15 list. I also think you should stick to PA.

JFox

Smash Hero
Guys, the player finder is fine if you are discussing people who are gonna be on the panel. But there is no way you are gonna start discussing people's rank in this thread. These things are to be done in private, with no comments coming from the peanut gallery.

So go ahead and decide who is on the panel, and what type of list you want to make. But you are not gonna make this list in this thread.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Guys, the player finder is fine if you are discussing people who are gonna be on the panel. But there is no way you are gonna start discussing people's rank in this thread. These things are to be done in private, with no comments coming from the peanut gallery.

So go ahead and decide who is on the panel, and what type of list you want to make. But you are not gonna make this list in this thread.
LMAO I remember when you were "done." Like 2 days ago. Also, lol @ peanut gallery. You're a funny guy.

pockyD

Smash Legend

i thought these kinds of threads were exactly for discussing the rankings

also will should be on the list if he lives in NJ (I really don't know where he lives)

BATTLEFIELD!!

edit: just to clarify - the people talking aren't panelists, therefore this is not an 'official' discussion, therefore it belongs here IMO :)

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
for panel I suggest good players to can easily learn others skill levels who has played many ppl from tons of tournaments. right there is like a guaranteed for eggm. tec0 hasnt been around as long but is definitely very insightful and been to a good amount of tourneys lately. perhaps we can even look to people outside of NJ to offer their advice like Scar. the power rankings are of NJ only obviously, but that doesnt mean outside NJ can't help us decide, and NJ players play a lot of other people, especially NY or PA smashers.

also, im in no way asking to be on the top 15 nor do i expect to be on it. but when i hear a recommendation for shakugan, even after thinking about it, there is just no way he can seriously be on there. i know will is a beast ame lol, iv played him a lot. hes amazing, he destroys me lol. will should be high on PA's list. but if shakugan consistantly plays careless in tournaments, thats not a good sign at all. you can only judge skill by tourneys and not friendlies, so unfortunately if someone consistantly plays bad in tourneys possibly due to factors such as pressure or something else, theres unfortunately no way they can make it because theres no good way to judge their skill. going back more tourneys he didn't even make it out of pools at spoc 3, and got kicked out by vex in cot2 (though vex is mad nice so no johns lol)

edit after seein pockys post: i mentioned it breifly up there, but yea Will is PA. he lives there and goes to Drexel. he better be on those rankings. BATTLEFIELD!!!

Scar

#HarveyDent
also will should be on the list if he lives in NJ (I really don't know where he lives)

BATTLEFIELD!!

edit: just to clarify - the people talking aren't panelists, therefore this is not an 'official' discussion, therefore it belongs here IMO :)
LMAO that son of a ***** is gonna be on the list, don't you worry about it. I lost sleep over it last night TBH. I hate that kid. jk Will I love you. You dumb basta'd I hope your controller gets run over by a bus.

Also I agree with the edit in this post, but JFox lays down the law. Also Ame, yes I have been supremely argumentative as of late. It's pretty fun.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Okay, I'm usually the kind of person to just defend myself, but it's more along the lines of a futile effort, so I'm just going to leave it at that. Anyone who is active in tournaments and qualifies should be looked at, to be fair.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Okay, I'm usually the kind of person to just defend myself, but it's more along the lines of a futile effort, so I'm just going to leave it at that. Anyone who is active in tournaments and qualifies should be looked at, to be fair.
QFT, I don't think anyone would argue against that either. Chibo is just saying that if he were on the panel, when you were looking at Shakugan, and after examining his placements and personal experience vs. him, he would immediately say no and vote to move on. Which is probably the right move.

Also, I think it's a good idea to get outside help. The PA panel had WoZ and Eggm look at our list before it was released, and they both turned out to be a great help. We are, after all, a big unit. NJ/Philly (east PA) rankings would be pretty sweet.

slikvik

Smash Master
**** MD/VA. I have no region. no really...
Why wouldn't they be? If we see someone placing well, they get looked at. The list is based of tournament results(even though people seem to ignoring that)

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
scars got it right. im in no way trying to be against shakugan. everyone definitely deservers to be looked at. exactly as scar said, i looked at his tourney performance (something i was already familiar with as he used to be in my crew), and my personal experience with him he is not qualified for rankings.

is there any other new NJ ppl to this round besides me gotm roykid and tensai? there's toushi gomen ne but they're pretty much in the same boat as shaku, and neither of them have been to as many tourneys, but still some like cot2, spoc 2 and 3, and pound 3. i know the rest of the tos crew is pretty new now for this round, but they arent active enough. id reccomend mexi but he really just hasnt been to enough. he went to cot2, and.... uh i think thats the only singles hes done lol. its a shame to. hes done more tourneys for doubles, but same as like ryoko, if ur not active enough, then u arent active enough.

i dont really know north jersey that well. anyone new up there?

Ken34

Smash Journeyman
Why wouldn't they be? If we see someone placing well, they get looked at. The list is based of tournament results(even though people seem to ignoring that)
exactly, imma take a line from the mvc2 community, ita very blunt:
"if you aint place high in tourny, then you aint ****, all this i beat you here and there doesnt mean anything, if it didnt happen in tourny, it doesnt meant ****, plain and simple". Thats why i think rankings SHOULD ALWAYS be done from tourny results, screw that "oh, ive been watching this guy play, and he beat so and so at random times, and he looks ohh so sexy.." GTFO....

JFox

Smash Hero
PockyD, the people that are arguing are people that are gonna most likely be on the panel, and other people are beginning to contribute. As far as I can recall, mods have never allowed the general community to discuss power rankings in view of the public, because that defeats the purpose of having a panel.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
If we did then Reik would STILL rank higher than Spammer. If you look on that tape, Reik ***** Spammer. (no offense Spammer) We need to look at the now, please.

Edit: WOW that came out wrong. Well, when I mean the past I mean Reik who doesn't enter singles, ATM. that was SPOC 3. The match between him and Spammer.
Yes, Reik should be higher than me, but not because of that one match. He said my LASERS WERE TOO SLOW, I think that's an indication that I wasn't playing at my best or even playing good. I could also bring up that I beat Reik in a Link vs Falco MM all on FoD best of 5 at a Smashacre in September, but Reik wasn't exactly playing that great in those matches and he got gimped for making stupid mistakes.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
I did mention Tensai, lol. Whatever, I stopped because I really hate to argue. I think Scar saw what I meant to say. *shrugs* I guess because I try to look at everyone, people tend to think I'm automatically saying that I think they SHOULD be in rankings. No need to tear them to shreds though. >_>

Edit: lol, I know Spam, you're good, and that WAS funny. Reik still *****.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Okay, to start, a list off of people at their peak levels is just plain stupid. I don't see nearly enough proof to say that Ryoko is oh so beast and must definitely be placed higher than a said Tec0 who has beaten everyone in NJ that Ryoko has except a possible Eggm. Also recently I've seen Tec0 beat people that Ryoko lost to. How do we not know Ryoko is still at prime or not anyway? Maybe everyone else being so active in NJ made them get better?

Besides that I really don't know what to say. Imo I feel everyone is too biased to make a list off of the above option. Everyone has that one or two people they thing are underated. Mines honestly are Spam and Tec0. For Inui it's easy to guess just Ryoko if not both him and Reik. This type of list just won't work.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Okay, to start, a list off of people at their peak levels is just plain stupid. I don't see nearly enough proof to say that Ryoko is oh so beast and must definitely be placed higher than a said Tec0 who has beaten everyone in NJ that Ryoko has except a possible Eggm. Also recently I've seen Tec0 beat people that Ryoko lost to. How do we not know Ryoko is still at prime or not anyway? Maybe everyone else being so active in NJ made them get better?
I was playing teams friendlies with Ryoko vs Cactuar and M2K at CoTII. One of them came down to Ryoko at last stock at 100% with M2K at 0% with Marth on FD. The match ends with Ryoko at like 170% and winning(and I'm pretty sure that was with no stitchfaces or bombs). Besides a Jiggs player getting some stupid rest combo, a Fox player getting super lucky and shine spiking him, or Reik death comboing him, who else could win from that? :laugh: Now no offense to tec0, I think he's a really good player but I think Ryoko is slightly better.

Inui

Banned via Warnings
edit: double post smashboards sucks

Try playing Ryoko, Keitaro. He's a monster. I'd be tons and tons more afraid of him in tourny than Tec0.

JFox

Smash Hero
Ok, so a list of players at their peaks is obviously not what the community wants. That means that you are gonna have to make a list based on activity in tourney. Is that what I'm gathering from all of this?

So who is gonna be on the list. Let's nominate people who have been active enough recently that they will be on the list.

(And yes, Scar, I know I said I was done. But if feel like if I don't help things along, nothing will get done.)

Keitaro

I've played Ryoko in tourney and came down to the last stock my Sheik vs his Peach on FD. On Fountain I got ***** but that's cause he kept d-smashing on the moving platforms and that's how I learned not to jump from under a Peach, literally.

Tec0.....I'm afraid of facing Tec0 and he knows it, lol! I refuse to say how badly Tec0 has beaten me with multiple characters but to tell you the truth there has never been a Peach I've ever had too much trouble with so it could have been the current match up with Ryoko or me just being lucky. But I did feel really confident.

Eazy23

Smash Lord
Talking about shakugan in the RANKINGS THREAD are you serious?!!?!?!?!?!?!? We all know spam loves him some reik yum yum those bright blue eyes rofl! But realisitcally. Going at this on a o he beat him or she beat her manor is going to do nothing. Inui says ryoko is a beast. I've seen vanz go neck and neck with ryoko almost winning in grand finals against him. So vanz is a beast right? Now I've seen tec0 beat vanz...so tec0 is a beast right? Spam beat tec0 so he is beast right and Eazy ***** spam omg like every single day so Im a beast right? If this is the circle that you guys really want to go in good luck. Just go by tourny results, and dont bring up buddies or who you hear is better. Because Im most likely better than them...This list better be good. Cuz if I see anyone Im better than on this mofo wow..just make it good!

Inui

Banned via Warnings
I've never beaten Ryoko in tourny in singles or teams and have never beaten him in a money match. Tec0 I have beaten before, and from the amount I've played him(which is nowhere near as much as Ryoko, to be honest) I do not find him more threatening to me in tournament play than Ryoko even though he uses much better characters. That's just my take on it.

As for making a standard list of just tournament results, I'd rather not so we can still include Reik, Sensei, and Ryoko.

JFox, didn't you drop out from making a list??? I'm sure we can move along even if you didn't push us forward. If you'd like to still be a part of it, then say so and it shall be so.

Keitaro

Ryoko and Sensei have been active enough since December according to the tourney rankings from September on so they would actually be elligible. I've noted them as capable to be on rankings months ago. Reik is a no no for that though.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
i dont know who to nominate so to say, but i can list players i know who have been active

chibosempai
gotm
tennotensai
shakugan
roykid

then of course i know all the obvious like

eggm
tec0
vanz
m2k
so on...

as for the ryoko debate, he did win CoT if anyone remembers. He's really good, but I'd rather not comment who I think is better than who cause I'm undecided. I did almost take a match off Ryoko in tourney once (but he knew he was gonna win the set so it's not like it mattered lol) and I've beaten him once or twice in friendlies. W/e. Personally, I THINK Tec0 is better, but that's cause I have more tournaments to base his skill off of. And not to mention the amazing regional crew battle performance lol

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
lol whoops, he lives in NY doesn't he?

i got it mixed up after lookin up results from CoT (jersey tourney) where finals were him and Ryoko

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Inui says ryoko is a beast. I've seen vanz go neck and neck with ryoko almost winning in grand finals against him. So vanz is a beast right? Now I've seen tec0 beat vanz...so tec0 is a beast right? Spam beat tec0 so he is beast right and Eazy ***** spam omg like every single day so Im a beast right?
Except the problem with that "circle" idea is that you don't **** me and lost 2-0 in Link vs Falco MM :(.

Eazy23

Smash Lord
Except the problem with that "circle" idea is that you don't **** me and lost 2-0 in Link vs Falco MM :(.
hmmmm why bring up such stupid details?!?! How bout me unleashing the hero on your falco huh?? yea thought so, Im beast as I stated lolz Only I have the arrows of light that kills bowser from all the way across dreamland..point made?

Cheezit

Smash Ace
Well im tired of this i will step up and be panelist i have results from all my tournys we have scar's SPocs and some oos Tournys, oh and 2 Rutgers tournys. There really isn't much more. In reality you can't do a over all list people have been inactive for so long like reik in his prime was disguesting but i mean NJ has stepped it up so you wouldn't know how people faired against him. It should be a more frequent list of power rankings.

Let me know whats going on and i can start to work on a list.

pockyD

Smash Legend
i think someone should just write a computer program that takes in results and spits out a list since you guys are so in love with the "RESULTS ONLY" theory

it couldn't take more than an hour or two to properly balance, and after that you'd never have to have a panel, worry about when the next list comes out, or anything like that again!

Atomsk_92

Smash Hero
i think someone should just write a computer program that takes in results and spits out a list since you guys are so in love with the "RESULTS ONLY" theory

it couldn't take more than an hour or two to properly balance, and after that you'd never have to have a panel, worry about when the next list comes out, or anything like that again!
things aren't that perfect though

Top Bottom