• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Okay, here's something interesting:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Sakurai; I think there's a portion of the smartphone version of the American Smash Brothers' webpage for Ryu that is displaying the Japanese version. I might be imagining it.

Thank's for letting us know. According to the person in charge, it seems that it was oversight in the update. It's been fixed.

It's been fixed (just checked), but this might indicate that the site has been recently updated. Unless of course, it's been an issue that has been overlooked. We don't know how many updates they push/ if they regularly update it, but the timing seems a little...too perfect (with the scheduled maintenance and all). It might mean nothing, but it's something to keep in mind.
Even if it isn't SK, an update could be coming
And updates mean DLC
And most likely Mii Costumes
Black Knight level Mii Costumes

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Maintenance could mean anything though. It literally could just be maintenance ... something might need a tweak. An announcement on Monday seems too out of the blue.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Even if it isn't SK, an update could be coming
And updates mean DLC
And most likely Mii Costumes
Black Knight level Mii Costumes
Yeah, it could be anything.

Also, I think with updates the maintenance occur at the same time. The Japanese site says 3DS is occurring first. If this is an update, it's a new approach. I think this is the first maintenance without an announced update, so either way it's an unprecedented event.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
There is something coming soon There's just an odd aura of it in the air
There's been something in the air for all of August too.

September will bring Nintendo's new President, and perhaps a Direct ... I would not be surprised if we just got new trailers for upcoming games though.

EDIT: Google Translating that tweet is ruining my posts completely.

Screen Shot 2015-08-28 at 10.25.00 pm.png

Serious what's going on here?

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Honestly if Shovel Knight is in. I think the ballot was literally about Sakurai not picking the popular choices or likely choices but characters he might not even consider because they're out of his usual realm. The salt would be hella real though.
Not really.

Shovel Knight is a popular pick. Not the most popular, obviously, but noteworthy enough to where this decision shouldn't seem completely random.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
This is going to haunt me until Smash DLC is done or until Butt Butt is revealed
This is too much, Yacht Club games
This is too much
You know what bugs me the most about this? Not knowing how they responded to the question.

They have to know about all this speculation around their character in Smash right now, and that question was clearly directed at that. If SK was NOT in development, it would have been in their best interests to take a moment to clear the air of any widespread rumors.

That they did not deny it or address it at all raises some questions. Is it because he is in development, or are they biding their time, hoping Nintendo notices the demand and decides now's the time to start?

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
You know what bugs me the most about this? Not knowing how they responded to the question.

They have to know about all this speculation around their character in Smash right now, and that question was clearly directed at that. If SK was NOT in development, it would have been in their best interests to take a moment to clear the air of any widespread rumors.

That they did not deny it or address it at all raises some questions. Is it because he is in development, or are they biding their time, hoping Nintendo notices the demand and decides now's the time to start?
Why would that be in their best interests? These whispers and rumours are free advertising. Good advertising too. Hell, we've been speaking about SK all day.

Strofirko

Smash Master
Really these small things that annoys me off,while everyone on the other consols are happy with their silly cameos, we will have to stand content locked behind a plastic toy,said content that can be released for free in any day of the year on the other ports,and yet instead of people saying anything,people are babbling about goddamn reveal that won't even happen.

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Really these small things that annoys me off,while everyone on the other consols are happy with their silly cameos, we will have to stand content locked behind a plastic toy,said content that can be released for free in any day of the year on the other ports,and yet instead of people saying anything,people are babbling about goddamn reveal that won't even happen.
You should at least acknowledge the fact that because of the Wii U, we got an official Shovel Knight amiibo that is fully functional. It works in Shovel Knight, and any games all amiibo work in (CT, Hyrule Warriors, MP10, etc.) If you don't think that a figure is all that great then hey, different strokes for different folks.

And if I remember correctly, this said content is exclusive to the amiibo, which obviously won't work in Xbone or PS4 versions.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Someone find a gr8 new avatar for me. I'm going to bed but will check 'em all out in the morn and use one.

kthnxbai

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I am more or less baffled that Co-Op is apparently locked behind the Amiibo. I hope my interpretation is very wrong though.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I am more or less baffled that Co-Op is apparently locked behind the Amiibo. I hope my interpretation is very wrong though.
Welcome to the gaming industry of the 2010s.

So me being :079: just found out that there will be maintenance next week.
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/network/en_na/network_status_interim.jsp

I also just realized that it takes place a day before The Phantom Pain comes out.

Sorry for playing with your emotions just ever so slightly @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A fam :troll: :079: :079:
Everything is a conspiracy. :smirk:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I also just realized that it takes place a day before The Phantom Pain comes out.

Sorry for playing with your emotions just ever so slightly @ LIQUID12A LIQUID12A fam :troll: :079: :079:
Already heard.

Honestly, my emotions would be played with more if we were teased with Metroid DLC at this point. I know Snake's chances aren't exactly fantastic.

redroses

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Marmalade
Well, what I find really interesting is that they have been working for a year on that amiibo, if I didn't misread.

This is interesting to me, because it brings me back to my old theory, that Nintendo has a list of characters they want to add into smash, and are using the ballot to figure out which ones should make it in.

But, besides that, why would it take one year to work on an amiibo? Sure, the extra content it unlocks probably needs a lot of work, but I can also imagine that they are working closely with Nintendo about how SK would play in smash. Especially considering, if those rumors are true, that it has already been decided that he is DLC before the ballot even ended.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
The thought that one character is more deserving then others based on fanmade requisites is something I will never understand. I can understand wanting a character. I REALLY wanted Megaman, Shulk, and Palutena. I got lucky, but if I hadn't? I would've bought the game and enjoyed it all the same, because all the characters we got in this game are new and unique. They all bring something new to the table, and it's so fun to play as them. Compared to Brawl or Melee, where all the fighters are kind of the same, Smash 4 has so much more color and life to it.

We try to predict Sakurai, and we've never come close. Did anyone expect Greninja? Wii Fit Trainer? Villager? Roy? Ryu? Duck Hunt Dog? He's thrown us for a loop so many times we can barely count it, and for us to then go and say that x character is likely because abc reasons is pure speculation, and people take it as fact. And the ballot made everything more complicated when Sakurai said it was all fanservice and it devolved into a screaming match between the remaining character fanbases to see who could make the most noise and get their character into Smash. (We've all seen fans of x character shamelessly plug a character here, some of us are those people. H***, I'll even admit I'm guilty of this with Phoenix Wright) Some people let their bias towards a character narrow their vision, to the point where any other character is enough to get into a tizzy and curse out Nintendo. I'll admit I had a lot of bias back in the day. I used to hate Rosalina because I thought it could only be her or Palutena. Once I saw her, and how unique she was, I loved her character, and while I don't play her, she's a really cool character. When I vehemently supported Shulk, I still took time to research why he was likely, what he'd bring to Smash, and came to terms that I'd still enjoy the game without him in it. Like I said earlier, I got lucky.

Can anyone please tell me why people think characters take up predetermined "slots" or that x character deserves to get in over y character? Because I don't understand it at all.
I had this mindset way before DLC was announced. Preach. :p

Frisk.

Child of Mercy
Someone find a gr8 new avatar for me. I'm going to bed but will check 'em all out in the morn and use one.

kthnxbai
here
cute kitten add :3

Speaking of changing things though, would anyone help me out and give your opinion on something I've been thinking about? seeing as I'm a premium user I can change my username, does anyone think I should change it from "Scarlet."? I guess I'm not "really feeling it" (insert shulk pic) anymore. Also any suggestions for names would help.

On a different note, I must admit that I'm actually looking forwards to finding out all of the ballot characters that will be added to the game. Originally I didn't care because I knew that no character that I want would ever get added but now I'm sort of intrigued as to which characters will be picked.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
here
cute kitten add :3

Speaking of changing things though, would anyone help me out and give your opinion on something I've been thinking about? seeing as I'm a premium user I can change my username, does anyone think I should change it from "Scarlet."? I guess I'm not "really feeling it" (insert shulk pic) anymore. Also any suggestions for names would help.

On a different note, I must admit that I'm actually looking forwards to finding out all of the ballot characters that will be added to the game. Originally I didn't care because I knew that no character that I want would ever get added but now I'm sort of intrigued as to which characters will be picked.
Well, you kind of have to be more specific if you want suggestions for name changes.

Do you want a name similar to Scarlet? Or something totally different?

Maybe have your new name be based off a character from a TV show or something? I dunno :p

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
How the grinch stole Sylux :smirk:
it ain't crissmass son

It's really only if you seriously want a name change, I wouldn't change it based on someone else's suggestion, honestly.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The thought that one character is more deserving then others based on fanmade requisites is something I will never understand. I can understand wanting a character. I REALLY wanted Megaman, Shulk, and Palutena. I got lucky, but if I hadn't? I would've bought the game and enjoyed it all the same, because all the characters we got in this game are new and unique. They all bring something new to the table, and it's so fun to play as them. Compared to Brawl or Melee, where all the fighters are kind of the same, Smash 4 has so much more color and life to it.

We try to predict Sakurai, and we've never come close. Did anyone expect Greninja? Wii Fit Trainer? Villager? Roy? Ryu? Duck Hunt Dog? He's thrown us for a loop so many times we can barely count it, and for us to then go and say that x character is likely because abc reasons is pure speculation, and people take it as fact. And the ballot made everything more complicated when Sakurai said it was all fanservice and it devolved into a screaming match between the remaining character fanbases to see who could make the most noise and get their character into Smash. (We've all seen fans of x character shamelessly plug a character here, some of us are those people. H***, I'll even admit I'm guilty of this with Phoenix Wright) Some people let their bias towards a character narrow their vision, to the point where any other character is enough to get into a tizzy and curse out Nintendo. I'll admit I had a lot of bias back in the day. I used to hate Rosalina because I thought it could only be her or Palutena. Once I saw her, and how unique she was, I loved her character, and while I don't play her, she's a really cool character. When I vehemently supported Shulk, I still took time to research why he was likely, what he'd bring to Smash, and came to terms that I'd still enjoy the game without him in it. Like I said earlier, I got lucky.

Can anyone please tell me why people think characters take up predetermined "slots" or that x character deserves to get in over y character? Because I don't understand it at all.
Because fanboyism and people not wanting certain characters in.

I really don't care who gets in at this point since I can just ignore the characters who don't appeal to me. But even then, I'll probably get it just because I NEED to have a full roster for a fighter to learn the matchups and how each character works.

IMO, I just don't want a bloated 70+ character roster because it'll just seem overbloated and hard to balance because you'll start ignoring characters for other characters and have really hard game to truly balance. 55+ is easier to deal with compared to 70 characters with more crap characters.

You wanna know my opinion, If it wasn't for the ballot or no Wolf, I'll stop with DLC and stick with what we have. Maybe like 2 extra characters but after that, just focus on making the game better than before.

The new game modes Sakurai promised
Possible Alternate Costumes
New stages
Balance patches and even changing the mets by adding in a mechanic.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

Burb

The Absolute Worst
We try to predict Sakurai, and we've never come close. Did anyone expect Greninja? Wii Fit Trainer? Villager? Roy? Ryu? Duck Hunt Dog? He's thrown us for a loop so many times we can barely count it,
.....Yup, actually, the bolded were both predictable. I knew there would be an Animal Crossing character this time around, and Greninja was commonly predicted as part of a Kalos-based Pokemon Trainer replacement.

And while we did have a lot of truly unexpected choices, there was also plenty of characters who were obvious; Mega Man, Pac-Man, Palutena, and Little Mac. And though he wasn't obvious at first, Shulk was viewed as a given in the last few months pre-release.

A few oddball choices doesn't make him impossible to predict. For the ballot, too many people viewed it as a popularity contest, and that led to characters like K. Rool and Isaac being hyped to hell and back. If Shovel Knight makes it, it'll give us a sign that popularity is important, but it's not the deciding factor.

Last edited:

Frisk.

Child of Mercy
Well, you kind of have to be more specific if you want suggestions for name changes.

Do you want a name similar to Scarlet? Or something totally different?

Maybe have your new name be based off a character from a TV show or something? I dunno :p
it ain't crissmass son

It's really only if you seriously want a name change, I wouldn't change it based on someone else's suggestion, honestly.
just asking for suggestions to hopefully give myself an idea of what to choose seeing as I have no idea currently lol. I guess I could change to my Elsword name but idk it's probably taken here lol.

trying to think of usernames like:

domokl

Smash Lord
the only way I think the leak could be real now is that the amibo was almost already done when Nintendo asked yacht club if they could add shovel knight.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
.....Yup, actually, the bolded were both predictable. I knew there would be an Animal Crossing character this time around, and Greninja was commonly predicted as part of a Kalos-based Pokemon Trainer replacement.

And while we did have a lot of truly unexpected choices, there was also plenty of characters who were obvious; Mega Man, Pac-Man, Palutena, and Little Mac. And though he wasn't obvious at first, Shulk was viewed as a given in the last few months pre-release.

A few oddball choices doesn't make him impossible to predict. For the ballot, too many people viewed it as a popularity contest, and that led to characters like K. Rool and Isaac being hyped to hell and back. If Shovel Knight makes it, it'll give us a sign that popularity is important, but it's not the deciding factor.
Problem is, again the fanbase makes all these assumptions about Smash and Sakurai. They act like he's some crazy wacky man who will make only oddball choices and they every choice. Hell, Duck Hunt was probably a popular choice for Brawl but Sakurai didn't want to use him there and probably saved him for Smash 4 same for probably Bowser Jr. Even considering, Roy wasn't an off the wall choice, he was a highly requested veteran along with Mewtwo and Lucas.

Sakurai will pick popular characters but only some that'll be nice to work with

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
just asking for suggestions to hopefully give myself an idea of what to choose seeing as I have no idea currently lol. I guess I could change to my Elsword name but idk it's probably taken here lol.
Search for the name. If it doesn't appear, it's not taken.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Does being an Icon even matter right now? If the Smash Ballot is based on fan service, then well be getting characters who:

A) Were top choices in the ballot and
B) Have moveset potential and Sakurai is willing to work with

Despite that Shovel Knight is a 3rd party, YCG would be more than willing to let him in, and Nintendo would have a relatively easy time securing him.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
By this point Sakurai has proven that he doesn't follow his own rules for ****. :p

Except when it comes to Ridley.

And of course the "Must originate from a video game" rule is still there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom