• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
From what I can tell, some of Tamas claims are assumptions mixed with fact. The information we discussed privately on Skype between us I still believe right now though. His odd claims are hurting his own credibility but I feel the private stuff we talked about is still as credible as before.
I'm curious.

How many facts were actually discussed in private?

Like does this hinge on one big thing or lots of little ones?

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I'm curious.

How many facts were actually discussed in private?

Like does this hinge on one big thing or lots of little ones?
1 big thing supported with a couple of weaker claims.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I mean you have to think that them calling the amiibo reveal a megaton announcement sort of impacts a secret announcement of Shovel Knight.

What are they going to call him in Smash if this is all true?

A nuclear bomb announcement?

Tama

Smash Apprentice
From what I can tell, some of Tamas claims are assumptions mixed with fact. The information we discussed privately on Skype between us I still believe right now though. His odd claims are hurting his own credibility but I feel the private stuff we talked about is still as credible as before.
All I have claimed myself is that the amiibo is real. Outside of that, all I have done is report on a rumour. I have *not* gone on record as saying him in Smash is real. That is only something I am reporting on; someone else's claim.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
All I have claimed myself is that the amiibo is real. Outside of that, all I have done is report on a rumour. I have gone on record as saying him in Smash is real. That is only something I am reporting on; someone else's claim.
Eyyy you back. Man what a crazy night....Kinda nostalgic, I love leaks and rumors so much that I don't care if Shovel Knight being in smash is real or not.

I'm just happy that the hype is back again. :)

Last edited:

Tama

Smash Apprentice
Eyyy you back. Man what a crazy night....Kinda nostalgic, I love leaks and rumors so much that I don't care if Shovel Knight being in smash is real or not.

I'm just happy that the hype is back again. :)
Very crazy! If there is any update on the rumours, I will let everyone know. At least people can see now that the source wasn't my imagination.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
So what was that whole thing about acting like you know when the next character reveal is, Tama?

And by "odd claims" Neo probably means stuff like the packaging not being final, which it is.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
...I'll just wait and see.

Personally I'm in the camp that Shovel Knight just feels too soon for Smash. I really don't know, it feels kind of way too out of the ordinary to suddenly add a fresh new third party character who doesn't have a huge history.

On the other hand, I seriously welcome Amiibos for indie games. That is such an awesome thing to do. I hope Freedom Planet gets Amiibos someday.

I however do wonder how hard it is for a third party to get an Amiibo?

Tama

Smash Apprentice
So what was that whole thing about acting like you know when the next character reveal is, Tama?

And by "odd claims" Neo probably means stuff like the packaging not being final, which it is.
I believed I did know that, yes.

As for that tiny detail that people seem to be dwelling on for some reason, that was just what was being said. It was said to not be final, but that does not necessarily mean it was going to change. I never said that.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Well, this thread just straight up died.

Not too surprised that there was nothing Smash related, but meh.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I cannot see SK in Smash at all tbh. Sure, he has an amiibo... but so does Chibi Robo. And so will a lot more characters from now on I think.

It's really clever for Nintendo to allow 3rd parties and indies to utilise the NFC technology without investing in it themselves.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
That moment when you walk into GAME to get Gears of War Ultimate Edition and see shelves packed with amiibo that aren't just :4mario: and :4sheik:.
There was 1:4wario2:, 3:4dedede:, 2:4ness:, 1:4drmario:, 1:4ganondorf:, 5:4zss:, 4:4marth:, 2:4tlink:, 2:4jigglypuff:, 1:4charizard:, 2:4darkpit:, 2:4palutena: and 2:4shulk:

That's the first time I've actually seen a decent stock of amiibo.
I was tempted to get :4wario2::4ganondorf: and :4dedede:but didn't.
I've got the only ones that matter to me already.
:4myfriends::4lucina::4marth::4robinm::4shulk::4falcon:

Khoru

Smash Champion
"[year-old character] is THE indie icon"
lel
But to my knowledge, Shovel Knight has the most.
then do the same for meat boy and commander video

that cooking game's roster is hella neat though
Seeing SK's resume as an indie in such a short time?

Yeah, I can definitely see why Sakurai would lean towards him.

People were writing him off as just some indie character with his one game, but that's an impressive resume of guest appearances.
not to discount this, of course
not saying he's not like, top 5

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I think Amiibo will act as very appealing opportunity for many 3rd Party developers to team up with Nintendo in the future.

The greatest thing to happen out of this is that it looks like Playtonic's wish of getting a Yooka-Laylee amiibo is likely to happen!

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I'm in the camp we'll know our next newcomer soon.

If it's related to SK, I wouldn't be surprised to see an Indy Mii Costumes line up with SK playable to round it out.

I also still have no reason to not believe @ Tama Tama and his claims. As I said, there's some odd details that make me raise an eye brow concerning a detail or two on other subjects, however I still have enough faith in him and his source where I'll vouche for the leak.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I'm in the camp we'll know our next newcomer soon.

If it's related to SK, I wouldn't be surprised to see an Indy Mii Costumes line up with SK playable to round it out.

I also still have no reason to not believe @ Tama Tama and his claims. As I said, there's some odd details that make me raise an eye brow concerning a detail or two on other subjects, however I still have enough faith in him and his source where I'll vouche for the leak.
Exactly how I feel. I'm still pretty confident in this leak.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
According to Wikipedia at least? Commander Video and Meatboy are nowhere near close to the appearances of Shovel Knight.

Last edited:

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
According to Wikipedia at least? Commander Video and Meatboy are nowhere near close to the appearances of Shovel Knight.
Wikipedia doesn't list all their appearences though.

Khoru

Smash Champion
since shovel knight doesn't list anywhere near all of them, what makes you think the others would?

Characters from Shovel Knight will also be appearing as playable characters in other indie titles such as Road Redemption, Creepy Castle, Runbow, and Hex Heroes.
Meat Boy has made cameo appearances in the video games Bit.Trip Runner, Bit.Trip Fate, and Bit.Trip Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien, as well as inilomilo.
He appears as a playable character in Super Meat Boy, where he has the ability to hover in mid-air, and in Retro City Rampage as a character in a mini-game reminiscent of Runners gameplay, as well as in 1001 Spikes. Commander Video will also appear in the upcoming game UFHO2 as a playable character. In addition, Commander Video is also included as a trophy in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
amiibos are great for crossovers as they don't have to start negotiations from scratch and it's in everyone's best interest to give more functionality to make them more desirable.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Seeing SK's resume as an indie in such a short time?

Yeah, I can definitely see why Sakurai would lean towards him.

People were writing him off as just some indie character with his one game, but that's an impressive resume of guest appearances.
People were writing him off because he simply doesn't come anywhere near close to the iconic third-party characters we got.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Honestly if Shovel Knight is in. I think the ballot was literally about Sakurai not picking the popular choices or likely choices but characters he might not even consider because they're out of his usual realm. The salt would be hella real though.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Honestly if Shovel Knight is in. I think the ballot was literally about Sakurai not picking the popular choices or likely choices but characters he might not even consider because they're out of his usual realm. The salt would be hella real though.
The ballot isn't a popularity contest, but Sakurai stated that it's going to be fanservice from now on in regards to DLC characters, so popularity definetly does matter, because unpopular characters do not count as fanservice... unless he wasn't talking about literal fanservice.:troll:

(not that this point matters for Shovel Knight. He isn't iconic at all, but he is fairly popular)

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Goku confirmed for Ballot Character.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Okay, here's something interesting:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Sakurai; I think there's a portion of the smartphone version of the American Smash Brothers' webpage for Ryu that is displaying the Japanese version. I might be imagining it.

Thank's for letting us know. According to the person in charge, it seems that it was oversight in the update. It's been fixed.

It's been fixed (just checked), but this might indicate that the site has been recently updated. Unless of course, it's been an issue that has been overlooked. We don't know how many updates they push/ if they regularly update it, but the timing seems a little...too perfect (with the scheduled maintenance and all). It might mean nothing, but it's something to keep in mind.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Playing this game online makes me remember how much I hate it.

I mean... how bad I am at it.

Same thing, yeah?

Eugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom