• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Does being an Icon even matter right now? If the Smash Ballot is based on fan service, then well be getting characters who:

A) Were top choices in the ballot and
B) Have moveset potential and Sakurai is willing to work with

Despite that Shovel Knight is a 3rd party, YCG would be more than willing to let him in, and Nintendo would have a relatively easy time securing him.
My issue comes from the thing that holds him back and that is Japan. SK isn't like series like FE, Earthbound and Punch Out where barely a few places know them but what helps is that they are owned by Nintendo themselves so it's just advertising themselves and something atleast hardcore Japanese fans would atleast know but SK is relatively unknown and being a third party indie series.

Japan is kinda know for having xenophobic tendencies when it comes to stuff they don't recognize. Everywhere elseisalot easier with accepting things but the Japan isn't as special and Sakurai has to atleast consider his home country on how they'll react to him. I know they are just one part of the world but Nintendo has to know how would the land of the rising sun will react to this. Smash can advertise but this isn't similar to other ones like these like FE because what helps is that Sakurai is a fan of the series and NIntendo not taking them out in International versions.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Does being an Icon even matter right now? If the Smash Ballot is based on fan service, then well be getting characters who:

A) Were top choices in the ballot and
B) Have moveset potential and Sakurai is willing to work with

Despite that Shovel Knight is a 3rd party, YCG would be more than willing to let him in, and Nintendo would have a relatively easy time securing him.
I have a feeling securing Rayman wouldn't be all that difficult either, but they probably would want more money.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
By this point Sakurai has proven that he doesn't follow his own rules for ****. :p
What "rule" has he broken? :confused:

Does being an Icon even matter right now?
If Shovel Knight does make it, I think it's proof enough that "icon status" isn't a factor.

Not that we don't have evidence already, given the presence of several obscure characters already on the roster.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
.....Yup, actually, the bolded were both predictable. I knew there would be an Animal Crossing character this time around, and Greninja was commonly predicted as part of a Kalos-based Pokemon Trainer replacement.

And while we did have a lot of truly unexpected choices, there was also plenty of characters who were obvious; Mega Man, Pac-Man, Palutena, and Little Mac. And though he wasn't obvious at first, Shulk was viewed as a given in the last few months pre-release.

A few oddball choices doesn't make him impossible to predict. For the ballot, too many people viewed it as a popularity contest, and that led to characters like K. Rool and Isaac being hyped to hell and back. If Shovel Knight makes it, it'll give us a sign that popularity is important, but it's not the deciding factor.
I predicted solo Greninja as the most likely Pokemon newcomer ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

And Duck Hunt Dog was one of the most commonly predicted retro characters. Pretty much only behind Takamaru.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.

If Shovel Knight does make it, I think it's proof enough that "icon status" isn't a factor.

Not that we don't have evidence already, given the presence of several obscure characters already on the roster.
Quite a lot if were looking at the fan side of things.
I mean one I used to use was the Star fox character per game rule.
:fox64::falcomelee::wolf:
And it was a stupid rule none the less. But now I know.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

Doesn't the icon status mainly apply to third party characters? The obscure characters in the roster belong to Nintendo.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

Pretty sure Sakurai has said a few times that guest characters were special cases and that not just any guest would be added.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Might as well be the one to report on it. Etika finally "reported" on the rumor.
I find it funny he didn't even watch @Tama's video :joyful:.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Pretty sure Sakurai has said a few times that guest characters were special cases and that not just any guest would be added.
shovel knight is the first indie to get an amiibo....i dont know about you but i think thats special

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
GameXplain interview with Damon Baker (NOA's Senior Manager in Marketing and Licensing) at Nindies:
On the Shovel Knight amiibo and Yacht Club Games: "They're producing it, distributing it themselves."

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
SK has had 14 crossovers?! I can kind of see how he could get in smash with that, and everything else surrounding this. I still don't know if I want to believe he will be shown off before monday though.

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
How would you feel if we get 6 more dlc characters and they are:

- King K.Rool
- Isaac
- Wolf
- Inkling
- Shovel Knight
- Shantae

D

Deleted member

Technically, the only "rule" he's broken is that characters that are implausible as fighters (i.e. Villager and Miis) will not be playable fighters.
And even then, that "rule" was only for Brawl and is more of a change in what is higher priority than an actual "screw the rules" moment.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Technically, the only "rule" he's broken is that characters that are implausible as fighters (i.e. Villager and Miis) will not be playable fighters.
And even then, that "rule" was only for Brawl and is more of a change in what is higher priority than an actual "screw the rules" moment.
Yeah, my wording was a bit off. What I meant to say was more along the lines of Sakurai stating something but then proving himself wrong, thus making it hard to believe some of his statements.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
Is there a schedule for PAX?
10:00AM: Nintendo
10:30AM: Capcom - Street Fighter V
10:45AM: Deep Silver - Homefront: The Revolution
11:00AM: Adult Swim Games
11:30AM: Wired Productions - Super Dungeon Bros
11:45AM: Exclusive reveal (TBA)
12:00PM: Nicalis, Inc. - Full Mojo Rampage
12:15PM: Binding of Isaac Rebirth w/ CobaltStreak
12:45PM: Partner Spotlight - Cobaltstreak
1:00PM: PJSaltan of Stream
3:00PM: IMB
3:30PM: The Behemoth - Pit People
3:45PM: Partner Spotlight - TigerWriter
4:00PM: LEGO: Dimensions
4:15PM: Exclusive reveal (TBA)
4:30PM: Final Fantasy XIV
4:45PM: Square Enix - Dragon Quest Heroes
5:00PM: 2K XCOM 2 & Civilization: Beyond Earth
5:30PM: Doseone performance
All o' dis is in PST.
10:00 an 11:45 are our main key points here.

Last edited:

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866

- King K.Rool
- Isaac
- Wolf
- Inkling
- Shovel Knight
- Shantae
I would love it, yet would prefer Snake over Shantae. But who knows, this DLC selection is still really great.

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217

- King K.Rool
- Isaac
- Wolf
- Inkling
- Shovel Knight
- Shantae
Replace Inkling or one of the Nindies with Bandana Dee and I'll be OK with this

D

Deleted member

Yeah, my wording was a bit off. What I meant to say was more along the lines of Sakurai stating something but then proving himself wrong, thus making it hard to believe some of his statements.
Not many legitimate examples of that if there's any at all.

Most cases people bring up are either differing viewpoints between games (like what I just stated about Villager and the Miis) or cases where there was a misunderstanding of what Sakurai was actually saying (i.e. the supposed "no fighting game characters" statement).

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Not many legitimate examples of that if there's any at all.

Most cases people bring up are either differing viewpoints between games (like what I just stated about Villager and the Miis) or cases where there was a misunderstanding of what Sakurai was actually saying (i.e. the supposed "no fighting game characters" statement).
Yeah, that's true. There have also been several mistranslations throughout the years.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.

- King K.Rool
- Isaac
- Wolf

- Inkling
- Shovel Knight
- Shantae
Ecstatic.
Pretty cool addition :)
If they played good it would be great.
Overall I like this line-up.

How would you feel if all of the ballot characters we get are just thirst-parties?
Wouldn't be very happy seeing how this is a Nintendo cross-over game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom