• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I seriously doubt Shovel Knight would be pre-ballot.

I bet Sakurai didn't even know who he was before the initial campaign.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Not really.

People said they didn't like the idea of Shovel Knight had reasons that weren't inflammatory and were polite when expressing them.

Treating a franchise like its dirt and stating that it's an RPG for five year olds, saying Isaac is literally the worst written character ever and taunting the fans of said series by saying its entire existence is why Camelot can't make them anymore is just laughably spiteful.

Dude, I could care less if you like the game or not. It's when you go out of your way to **** on it where I have a problem.
I'll weigh in on this because I have nothing better to do.

I'll say it outright, I don't like Golden Sun. After playing the first hour or so and going through the first two dungeons, I did not like it. The story is pretty generic and the game seems dated overall.

HOWEVER

I think Isaac would be a great character for Smash, and out of all the Ballot front-runners, he's one of the characters I support the most. He'd be completely unique, and just because I didn't like the game doesn't mean I can't like the character. I will say the music was great, and the game was okay, I just didn't like it personally.
This, seriously. And where the flying **** is Wolf?
Can we not make characters out as shoe-ins? We've seen it happen with K. Rool, Ridley, and a plethora of other characters. What happened when they didn't get in? Mass anger and disappointment. (Pre-ESRB, another Wolf fan expected him in the base-game, and when he didn't get in...it wasn't pretty.)

Segway-ing into another point, I don't see why some people are so against Shovel Knight. Literally all I'm seeing is the same reason people got mad at the clones, or WFT, being either, "It's not [insert character here], so it must be a waste of space and I must be angry," or the fact that he was in one game. Has that stopped any other character? And while Shovel Knight is an indie character, I imagine this more as a Banjo-Kazooie case. Nintendo sees talent in Yacht Games, and they're going to lock them down. However, instead of a hostile takeover by buying shares, they'll ease into it. Get some exclusivity by putting Shovel Knight in Smash, then BAM! Hit em' with the takeover and make them second party. Nintendo already let Rare go, and this is their second chance at something good, they're not going to let it go.

And I'm sure that if he gets in, the moment he's shown everyone will flip because he's a new and original character and he'll be hyped.

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
So then that begs the question: If Shovel Knight represents the West, who will represent the East?
As whole Shovel Knight doesn't really cut it as a rep for the West, since the West usually refers to North America AND Europe, it does sometimes get annoying that some people seem to forget this.

And I beleive he's big in North America but not all that big in Europe, so he doesn't feel like a good rep for the west as a whole.

Also it gets quite silly sometimes that a lot of people think that European cultures are like American ones, their not obviously but its just rather silly that some people think this.

Frisk.

Child of Mercy
Since there are a lot of people here now, I want to ask something.

Which character do you want to star in their own fan-made newcomer artwork?

Example:

I need some motivation to draw right now, so I'll try to get to as many as I can.

Add :]

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
As whole Shovel Knight doesn't really cut it as a rep for the West, since the West usually refers to North America AND Europe, it does sometimes get annoying that some people seem to forget this.

And I beleive he's big in North America but not all that big in Europe, so he doesn't feel like a good rep for the west as a whole.

Also it gets quite silly sometimes that a lot of people think that European cultures are like American ones, their not obviously but its just rather silly that some people think this.
The game's out in Europe, and based off the hype from North America, I'd assume Europeans know about him. The game's also sold 700,000 units worldwide, which is pretty big for a game that's mainly out on Wii U and 3DS worldwide (only available on PS and Xbox in America), especially an Indie game.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
The main character of a massively popular fighting game getting in when he just so happens to be from the same company as another third party in the game doesn't mean random Sonic character #2 is going to happen. I don't understand this leap in logic.

On Shovel Knight, as much as I liked his game, I still don't want him in. But I'm not opposed to it, I'm up for some shovelry.
I think you might've read my post backwards.

My point was that a lot of people made up rules that characters from the existing third parties' companies couldn't get in without simultaneously allowing in other characters from the other third parties. That has been proven false.

Any extrapolation from there is beyond the scope of my point.

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
.....i know i said i was done talking about golden sun....but i just realized something
i might actually like golden sun
see i was thinking about what i said earlier about how
1"golden sun is perfect for 5 year olds" &
2 "it s the reason camelot isnt allowed to make anything other than sports games" and well

1 isnt a bad thing Rpg's are a hard genre to get into and golden sun is a perfect entry point to the genre where as in pokemon its really easy to get lost as a kid(read that one week i couldnt figure out how to get into saffron city)

and 2...well thats more of a fact really golden sun didnt sell well and their sports games did and will continue too which is a shame because i just realized they made shining force an rpg series ive been thinking about getting into

have to say i wasnt expecting this revelation at 12 in the morning

So ya thank you @ Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei for making me realize this

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man

Example:

I need some motivation to draw right now, so I'll try to get to as many as I can.
You already know who I want.

Do Glass Joe.

No, seriously, that's something I legitimately want to see.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Im not sure if this is supposed to contradict me or support me.....
More of a contradiction. The statement can be taken into context in so many different ways, but I meant it as anything regarding Shovel Knight's future could be there (including Smash).

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
What if Shovel Knight is pre-ballot?

It'd be a totally Sakurai thing to do, and don't you deny it.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I think you might've read my post backwards.

My point was that a lot of people made up rules that characters from the existing third parties' companies couldn't get in without simultaneously allowing in other characters from the other third parties. That has been proven false.

Any extrapolation from there is beyond the scope of my point.
That wasn't even directed at your post in particular.

I made a general statement about people jumping from Capcom having two characters to "Sega needs to have two characters!"'

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
There would be some rage if that happened from many fan bases, oh boy.
Can we not make characters out as shoe-ins? We've seen it happen with K. Rool, Ridley, and a plethora of other characters. What happened when they didn't get in? Mass anger and disappointment. (Pre-ESRB, another Wolf fan expected him in the base-game, and when he didn't get in...it wasn't pretty.)

I don't see why some people are so against Shovel Knight. Literally all I'm seeing is the same reason people got mad at the clones, or WFT, being either, "It's not muh [insert character here], so it must be a waste of space and I must be angry," or the fact that he was in one game. Has that stopped any other character? And while Shovel Knight is an indie character, I imagine this more as a Banjo-Kazooie case. Nintendo sees talent in Yacht Games, and they're going to lock them down. However, instead of a hostile takeover by buying shares, they'll ease into it. Get some exclusivity by putting Shovel Knight in Smash, then BAM! Hit em' with the takeover and make them second party. Nintendo already let Rare go, and this is their second chance at something good, they're not going to let it go.

And I'm sure that if he gets in, the moment he's shown everyone will flip because he's a new and original character and he'll be hyped.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413

Example:

Zero, could be from Mega Man Zero or the X series

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
I honestly think one sure hint Shovel Knight might get revealed in that stream tomorrow is if Sakurai retweets it. Then we'll know.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Yes, it would totally be Shovel Knight instead of possibly someone else because a ****ing brat cried Butt Butt
And if it's someone else, what happens now, do we still keep on with his BS because he full #MonadoMonday or finally ignore him and NintendoLife.

D

Deleted member

Oh yeah, I know it has gotten brought up a lot over the past couple days that there aren't big announcements at PAX, but Capcom actually has a SF5 announcement planned, so anything can happen with Nintendo.

:4greninja:'d

Last edited by a moderator:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
@ PushDustIn PushDustIn

If you talk with tamaki.....

Should; we expect disclosed info like last time or you intend to actually write this on SG?
It depends. If he shares something I can't disclose, or if I don't fully believe it then it's not going on SG. I might write up my thoughts on the matter. It could turn into a similar situation as Nicholas (the ERSB leaker) where I just post that I don't believe in the leak at all but I still can't disclose the information because I promised I wouldn't. If I believe what Tamaki has to say, then I'll do my best within the limits to explain why. These kinds of conversations are very sensitive, so if I don't treat them as such I won't be able to have additional ones in the future as it would ruin my reputation.

Shovel Knight would have to be a ballot character. No butt butt about it.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
He should definitely be ignored as he's gotten things wrong constantly, not to mention he deletes tweets when wrong. Why the **** should we even believe him?
Because @ PushDustIn PushDustIn has more faith in the guy than most of us do. Either that or we have nothing else to talk about

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Honestly, has Sakurai retweeted anything about DLC reveals?

And either way if he retweeted Yacht Club wouldn't that just kind of ruin the surprise of who it was?

He's always been one about trying to protect the surprise and not having things leak early.

In his mind even if Yacht Club was revealing Shovel Knight for Smash he might not even retweet because well...that gives it away early.

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
I'm going to try to get a good night's sleep tonight.

Thanks for requesting characters, guys. It really makes me feel better after seeing my Miiverse art get no attention at all.

I'll try to get to as many as I can, but for now, here's a teaser for the first one.
image.jpg

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
If Shovel Knight does end up being legit, maybe I should buy his Amiibo off that Spanish site now while I still can lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom