• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

Oh yeah, I know it has gotten brought up a lot over the past couple days that there aren't big announcements at PAX, but Capcom actually has a SF5 announcement planned, so anything can happen with Nintendo.

:4greninja:'d
To be fair, Capcom has been doing reveals for SFV at pretty much every other gaming event. It'd be weird if they didn't do anything for PAX at this point.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Eh, I think it's a case of seeing where this goes. If there's something, that's good. If there ain't, that's okay too. Either way it doesn't hurt to try.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Because @ PushDustIn PushDustIn has more faith in the guy than most of us do. Either that or we have nothing else to talk about
I have some faith in him, but until I see additional information I'm skeptical as he has been wromg. There's a lot of possible explanations. Like I stated in my previous post, 30%~40% Shovel Knight is in. It depends on where his information is coming from and what exactly he knows.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
How did I not notice this!? I owned ML Dream Team since few days after the game was released and never clicked at ML Dream Team miiverse community there was awesome glitch in that game that can make you post anything from the internet on miiverse
Check this out:
I missed a lot of crazy things :crying:

Last edited:

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
So what the hell is this "prank'd" thing I keep seeing by the way? Pretty sure it wasn't like that when I was on break.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Honestly, has Sakurai retweeted anything about DLC reveals?

And either way if he retweeted Yacht Club wouldn't that just kind of ruin the surprise of who it was?

He's always been one about trying to protect the surprise and not having things leak early.

In his mind even if Yacht Club was revealing Shovel Knight for Smash he might not even retweet because well...that gives it away early.
The thing is there are ways to draw attention to it without spilling the beans. For instance, he could just say "hey fans, we have something to announce at PAX, stay tuned!", which wouldn't give away anything about who or what it is going to revealed and leaves the entire event open for it. Plus, considering that PAX is typically not a place for announcements, it would make sense for him to draw attention to it as fans wouldn't keep it in mind otherwise.

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
Shovel Knight reeks Megaman and I love it. Lots of moveset potential. Still dont think he should be in Smash.
Well Yacht Club already said "sadly he's not" (if people are still iffy about that amiibo "leak" for some reason) and honestly, even if he did get a decent amount of votes on the ballot I really really doubt Sakurai would want him. I'm sure Sakurai barely knows who he is especially because Shovel Knight IS STILL NOT OUT WORLDWIDE. So for a worldwide ballot and only a couple of countries even knowing he exists, there is very little chance of him getting in over characters that are actually like... well known, since it's a global ballot. That's why I'm 98% sure that Shovel Knight or Shantae won't be in Smash as DLC. Not that I don't want them per-say, but because it doesn't make sense for them to be in at this point, because they are not characters that have worldwide releases. (although Shantae makes more sense than Shovel Knight since she's been around way longer)

Edit: And I know some people will argue that Lucas is only in Japan and stuff, but it's like.. I guess more understandable if they only had a release in the country that's actually making the game. If American studios were working on Smash, obviously Shantae and Shovel Knight would have a way better chance.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Well Yacht Club already said "sadly he's not" (if people are still iffy about that amiibo "leak" for some reason) and honestly, even if he did get a decent amount of votes on the ballot I really really doubt Sakurai would want him. I'm sure Sakurai barely knows who he is especially because Shovel Knight IS STILL NOT OUT WORLDWIDE. So for a worldwide ballot and only a couple of countries even knowing he exists, there is very little chance of him getting in over characters that are actually like... well known, since it's a global ballot. That's why I'm 98% sure that Shovel Knight or Shantae won't be in Smash as DLC. Not that I don't want them per-say, but because it doesn't make sense for them to be in at this point, because they are not characters that have worldwide releases. (although Shantae makes more sense than Shovel Knight since she's been around way longer)

Edit: And I know some people will argue that Lucas is only in Japan and stuff, but it's like.. I guess more understandable if they only had a release in the country that's actually making the game. If American studios were working on Smash, obviously Shantae and Shovel Knight would have a way better chance.
Also Lucas is a NINTENDO character.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

>In April, Yacht Club Games says no physical release for Shovel Knight
>Physical Release of Shovel Knight just got officially announced, is releasing October

What Yacht Club games said can't be used against him. It's not like they can say, "Dang! You guys caught us! Shovel Knight will be in Smash Bros! Get Hype!"

Also, Japan barely knew who Little Mac was, and who got into Smash Bros?
:4littlemac: baby!

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I never get why people view dev word as gospel when it comes to disconfirming. Often there are NDAs and just general secrecy, so if ever asked of course they'll say No.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Is Melia worth using in my Xenoblade team? Or should I stick with Shulk (me) Reyn and Sharla?
Melia is great... if you're controlling her.
But her AI is literally the dumbest **** in the world. It isn't even funny.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
>In April, Yacht Club Games says no physical release for Shovel Knight
>Physical Release of Shovel Knight just got officially announced, is releasing October

What Yacht Club games said can't be used against him. It's not like they can say, "Dang! You guys caught us! Shovel Knight will be in Smash Bros! Get Hype!"

Also, Japan barely knew who Little Mac was, and who got into Smash Bros?
:4littlemac: baby!
Little Mac is a NINTENDO character, and I believe Punch Out was released in Japan, it just wasn't that popular. If its a Nintendo character, whether it be obscure or popular, being added to smash, its OK because Smash Bros is a celebration of Nintendo's All Star character. Shovel Knight is a third party character who is no where near the levels of greatness that :4sonic::4pacman::4megaman::4ryu: posses. Also remember being in smash gets you an amiibo and lets you appear in other Nintendo titles. Why should a year old non Nintendo character get all this? Adding too many 3rd parties would also take away the magic of smash being a Nintendo fighting game.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Cool I'll give her a try. Atm I only really like controlling Shulk.
That's pretty much all I did my first playthrough. Shulk's just built to be the main player character. Plus Monado Arts OP.
If you ever do a second run though, try using other characters. It's like an entirely different game lol.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
That's pretty much all I did my first playthrough. Shulk's just built to be the main player character. Plus Monado Arts OP.
If you ever do a second run though, try using other characters. It's like an entirely different game lol.
Yeah I tried Melia and sucked haha. I like knowing I can play through again with different characters.

Backslash is so fun haha.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Melia is great... if you're controlling her.
But her AI is literally the dumbest **** in the world. It isn't even funny.
That's the case with most of them really
Shulk - Battle Soul at the worst times. Monado Enchant when it isn't even needed. No Monado Purge when monster has spike/Soul Read
Reyn - He waits a while after you've inflicted Break to use Wild Down. Can't always hold the aggro.
Sharla - *Chain Attack* "I have to cool-off!" = Only Cools off at 100%.
Dunban - Haven't had issues really. Sometimes he does the wrong Gale Strike combo but that's it really.
Melia - Doesn't hold her summons so you don't get buffs. Mind Blast not being used when in Elemental Burst.
Riki - It's not so much the AI as it is cooldowns, unlucky RNG and physical weakness in his attacks.
Seven - Fine. Only issue is not using Final Cross when at Very High (Flaming) Tension against monsters without a topple spike.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
I'm at the Nopon tree so I'm assumimg I'm about to meet Riki. Let's see if he's any good... nothing has beaten the Shulk-Reyn-Sharla combo yet. I thought Dunban would be cooler seeing as he's got a Smash representation. Reyn would make an awesome AT with Wild Down.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Also Lucas is a NINTENDO character.
Pretty much. People always use Nintendo characters to defend the chances of obscure third-party characters when they should be compared to the Smash third-party characters we got and who are all legitimately iconic video game characters among a wider gaming audience.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I'm at the Nopon tree so I'm assumimg I'm about to meet Riki. Let's see if he's any good... nothing has beaten the Shulk-Reyn-Sharla combo yet. I thought Dunban would be cooler seeing as he's got a Smash representation. Reyn would make an awesome AT with Wild Down.
The best thing about Riki is how ridiculous his armour can get.

I only used Sharla for enemies significantly higher in level than me to get materials needed for Late Game stuff as well as side quests that get her some more skill trees. She's also useful for enemies that have Spikes if you need to build up a Monado Purge.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Is Melia worth using in my Xenoblade team? Or should I stick with Shulk (me) Reyn and Sharla?
Melia has the highest possible damage output of any character in the game, so she's worth looking into.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
oh god

Remember how Xander said Nintendo gives him a random list of character names to say?

... What if this whole rumor started because someone overheard Shovel Knight?
On a random note, I love that this theory got several likes, yet no one mentioned the fact that Xander's voiceovers were recorded no later than March-April last year, and the game Shovel Knight was released last June. I know the game was super-popular right out the gates, but I never saw a shred of Smash support until the ballot opened this year.

In any case, I think we're putting way too much stock in this whole thing. Obviously I assume Tamaki had more to go on than the false amiibo listing and upcoming YCG announcement, but until that's elaborated on, I'm taking this with a pillar of salt.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So has anything happened since last night?

I keep thinking the ballor will be over in a week but it turns out my mind doesn't register September. It's weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom