• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
On a random note, I love that this theory got several likes, yet no one mentioned the fact that Xander's voiceovers were recorded no later than March-April last year, and the game Shovel Knight was released last June. I know the game was super-popular right out the gates, but I never saw a shred of Smash support until the ballot opened this year.

In any case, I think we're putting way too much stock in this whole thing. Obviously I assume Tamaki had more to go on than the false amiibo listing and upcoming YCG announcement, but until that's elaborated on, I'm taking this with a pillar of salt.
Wasn't he called in to do additional VA work afterwards? I'm pretty sure they've had him back at least once, and it wasn't even that long ago.

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
So at my new job there was a guy who is into Nintendo which is cool. I asked if he played Smash and he did so we gave each other a week to remember the 3DS control. I learnt 2 new mains while I was playing around and now love using Pikachu and Ness alongside Mario if I need a good balanced character to reign it in.

He was so cocky today, the day of the battle. I don't really come across as a gamer to people who don't know me. Obvs I'm a huge fanboy but I tone it down with peeps I'm not super comfortable with. This guy thought he had me covered... but ol' Radical Beam knows a thing or two.

His Olimar was good... but he's no Smashboardian. I beat him in every match bar one where he chose the PM stage and Bowser's Castle wasn't a good space for Fox. Made me feel really good for some reason. Probably because he thought I was one of those people who loves Nintendo as a friend, when in reality it's more like a cult.

Moral of my story is don't judge a book by a cover boys and girls... otherwise you'll find yourself getting rekt.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
If Shovel Knight does happen, then I feel like I owe @ BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 an apology for harping on Bayonetta so much. Shovel Knight opens the door for most lower tier character, and my biggest issue with her stemmed from how recent the series is and how poorly it sold. The first game in her series still sold over 2 million copies, more than double what Shovel Knight did, and the series is a critical darling. Sure, she has other issues, but nothing that can't be worked around. I just never thought Nintendo would think it was worth it to work around those issues.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
You think that's the main issue with Bayonetta?
She has TONS of issues, but if they really wanted her in the game, they COULD work around them. Not saying it's likely now, but if popularity is really that important, it could happen.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
She has TONS of issues, but if they really wanted her in the game, they COULD work around them. Not saying it's likely now, but if popularity is really that important, it could happen.
Even if you remove the recency and commercial failure (two attributes you tend to exaggerate the importance of, judging from the Shantae vs Shovel Knight discussion), she still has the use of realistic firearms and the sexual themes.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here's a thought. What if it's a shovel knight costume but instead of a purchase it's unlocked by beating a bonus level in Shovel Knight? Like Poker Night at the Inventory unlocking stuff in TF2. That gets the SK base to buy Smash and visa-versa.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I just can't think of any reason for them to choose Shovel Knight.

- If they want an indie character, then there are far more prevalent and important ones. Notably Shantae or Quote.
- If they want a "western" 3rd Party character, then there are far more prevalent and important ones. Notably Rayman and Spyro.
- If they want to pick a character based on votes from the ballot, then there are still far more prevalent and important ones. Notably K. Rool, and dozens of others.

It just literally doesn't make sense. Even if Nintendo owned Shovel Knight, he'd be the character from the poorest selling IP in all of Smash.

Literally the only thing that could possibly get him in is Sakurai bias.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
This is all assuming Shovel Knight happens.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Even if you remove the recency and commercial failure (two attributes you tend to exaggerate the importance of, judging from the Shantae vs Shovel Knight discussion), she still has the use of realistic firearms and the sexual themes.
Burb, I would be reacting the same way if Shantae was leaked as I am for Shovel Knight. I think Shantae, out of the two, makes the most sense, but I do not get where you think I'm a Shantae booster. It's not about the character, it's about lowering the bar.

In all honesty, characters like Layton, Simon Belmont, and Bomberman, all of whom I support, are on the lower end of characters I personally find acceptable.

That aside, Shantae has not been a commercial failure and has a massively buzzed kick starter game coming out, so I don't see how that even factors in.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Tamaki said:
I don't know why people are acting like I'm promising Shovel Knight will be in Smash. I'm not. I just reported on rumours like everyone else
The backpedaling continues.

It's a bit late to start acting like this is just some rumor completely unrelated to him after he basically said he knows when the next character will be revealed, how he knows stuff and it's "more than simply people talking" and that he's "totally convinced" Shovel Knight is coming.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It just literally doesn't make sense. Even if Nintendo owned Shovel Knight, he'd be the character from the poorest selling IP in all of Smash.
The latest (though still outdated) figures say Shovel Knight sold 700,000 copies. I'm having a hard time finding figures for Xenoblade but they're not looking nearly as good. (300K is the best I got)

He'd certainly be the worst of the third parties sales wise but not the worst series period.

This doesn't change much, I just want us to be arguing with the facts here.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Eh, why not?

While we still got Shovel Hype, I got a challenge for you.

Think of a stage for Shovel Knight. Include the layout and any gimmicks it would have.
After that give me 8 songs that would play there and pick which ones would be remixes.

Butt butt.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
- If they want an indie character, then there are far more prevalent and important ones. Notably Shantae or Quote.
Quote has little-to-no support from the community, and Shantae's on the same tier as Shovel Knight.

That aside, Shantae has not been a commercial failure and has a massively buzzed kick starter game coming out, so I don't see how that even factors in.
That was in reference to the comment about recency, not sales.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Eh, why not?

Think of a stage for Shovel Knight. Include the layout and any gimmicks it would have.
After that give me 8 songs that would play there and pick which ones would be remixes.

Butt butt.
If we follow the model from the Street Fighter stage there'll be two remixes and four originals. Shovel Knight has an arranged OST but I think the Smash music crew will do two of their own. I think the remixes would be the Sovel Knight title music and one for the stage that SK ends up getting.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
The backpedaling continues.

It's a bit late to start acting like this is just some rumor completely unrelated to him after he basically said he knows when the next character will be revealed, how he knows stuff and it's "more than simply people talking" and that he's "totally convinced" Shovel Knight is coming.
The issue is with HOW he reported it, not that he did. Compare it with Gematsu for instance. Sal had credibility, and he also had tact.

"Take it all with a grain of salt for now, but there’s a Super Smash Bros.-focused Nintendo Direct happening later today. If these claims are accurate, it’s likely we’ll hear about at least one of these new characters there.

I’ve e-mailed the tipster requesting a few more details, but have yet to hear back.

Read more at http://gematsu.com/2014/04/rumor-shulk-palutena-set-super-smash-bros#colf43ZCKKcq8FYu.99"

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
The latest (though still outdated) figures say Shovel Knight sold 700,000 copies. I'm having a hard time finding figures for Xenoblade but they're not looking nearly as good. (300K is the best I got)

He'd certainly be the worst of the third parties sales wise but not the worst series period.

I was researching it a while ago and couldn't find too much about Xenoblade but Spazzy told me that it's sold at least 900k.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Quote has little-to-no support from the community, and Shantae's on the same tier as Shovel Knight.
I absolutely hate the thought of Shantae also. But she's the lesser of two evils IMO. She's been around longer, she's got more games. Shovel Knight's sole game gave exclusive content to every platform except Nintendo.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Xenoblade sold at least 400k in Europe and Japan, and we know from reports that North America was it's best market, and that was BEFORE the game received a second shipment in the region. Vgchartz isn't the best, but it has it at 900k. The game had a big budget sequel green lit, so it had to have done well.

North American figures are hard to track since it was retailer exclusive and NPD don't track those numbers.

Factor 300k + for the 3DS game and yes, he would be the worst selling franchise, period.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Shovel Knight sold well.... for an indie game. Splatoon, a game that is locked to one low selling console and is much more recent, sold more than double what multi-plat Shovel Knight did in a much smaller time frame (1.6 million vs 700k.)

If Shovel Knight get's in it's not because it was some sort of ground break, run away success.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
In regards to the Shovel Knight vs Xenoblade sales discussion......

I'd imagine sales would be less important for Nintendo franchises than they would be for third parties. We've had a character from a poor selling series since 64 (:ness64:), while every third party character to date have been from massively successful games.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Eh, why not?

Butt butt.
Easy.

Pridemoor Keep.
It could either be a neutral stage with only a few platforms, but could also work as a scrolling stages with hazards such as enemies, falling chandeliers and the cauldrons you see here.

The track listing:

- Shovel Knight Theme (Remix)
- Strike the Earth!
- In The Halls of the Usurper (Remix)
- The Defender
- Flowers of Antimony
- La Danse Macabre
- High Above the Land
- Fighting With All Our Might (Or Hyper Camelot, I would cry tears of joy if this was in)

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Eh, why not?

Butt butt.
for a stage easily The Explodatorium (plague knights stage)
layout 4 platforms 3 "ground platforms" with one arial platform a medium size stage
gimmicks: a few fire traps (basically the fire things from mario 3 airships) and ever 10-12 seconds a bird flies over head and drops a potion (said potion explodes on contact with the players or the ground)

music: 8-bit
Flowers of Anitmony (Plauge Knights stage)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXY5ElOJ25Q
The Defender(black Knight Fight theme)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-QYysgasoQ
Strike the Earth! (Plains of passage/ First stage)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGBFDut-MgI
Fighting with all our might (guest boss theme)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb-1NZyFuSo
Music: REMIX
Hyper Camelot (guest boss theme remix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IL_gP-73FeI
The Science wizard (Plague Knights stage remix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUnvXrpG3n0
Green Waves (plains of passage Remix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62WpW6kxNzY
Rough an tumble (black knight remix)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNiHZXYWzg8

well theres my idea
(plague knights stage was chosen be cause of the recent Plague of shadows expansion coming up)

Khoru

Smash Champion
Eh, why not?

Butt butt.
explodatorium, easily
tower of fate would be boring bc it's a standard video game setting
explodatorium would have some destructible platforms and vats and stuff
songs. uh.
idk about remixes and stuff but
-main theme
-strike the earth
-in the halls of the usurper
-la danse macabre
-treasure knight's stage
-flowers of antimony
-high above the land
-tower of fate entrance

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
Before I go to sleep:
ITS PIKACHU!!!11!!

Welp. (I assume) they are both chatting on skype right now.
Indeed we did. Was a fun chat.

Push is going to look into something before he writes anything about it. As for me personally, hearing what I heard it gets my seal of approval.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Shovel Knight sold well.... for an indie game. Splatoon, a game that is locked to one low selling console and is much more recent, sold more than double what multi-plat Shovel Knight did in a much smaller time frame (1.6 million vs 700k.)

If Shovel Knight get's in it's not because it was some sort of ground break, run away success.
Also, Xenoblade sold out in America. That's a very different scenario, since it would have sold even better if NoA expected it to do as well as it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom