• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tama

Smash Apprentice
Here's the thing, something about this is just strange, first you say that King K. Rool has less of a chance than Shrek, then you said that Snake has no chance, and then you have the nerve to say that Bandana Dee has no chance just because you've never heard of him, despite the fact that you would've had to due to research in the cancelled Kirby game, and because of the fact that one of your subscribers is named Bandana Waddle Dee. Now what do you have to say to all of this?
I was just kind of kidding around to be honest. I don't know anything about those characters being in the game. You asked for my opinion, so there you go :)

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I was just kind of kidding around to be honest. I don't know anything about those characters being in the game. You asked for my opinion, so there you go :)
Okay, thanks for the clarification, I was just confused. :)

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Shantae is a decent argument, and I won't pretend she's not a better pick. Personally, I agree on Quote as well - he's practically the grandfather of the Indie movement, his game being the first big one anyone remembers.

If Shovel Knight gets in over these two, then it confirms one thing in my mind: of all the factors around choosing characters, it's marketing that will have won the day. Neither Shantae nor Quote are as well known among the casual Indie community (Quote, in particular, is rather dated by now). What's notable for SK is 1) he's accessible, having a very simple and intuitive moveset; 2) he's well-known and currently relevant, having been exposed on all platforms of Indie consumers; and 3) every other platform out there has unique content for SK, leaving Nintendo the only current platform that hasn't given him special treatment. Time and again we've seen the arguments that these things don't matter to Nintendo, or that console exclusivity is more important - but those are assumptions which we might soon find are to be proven wrong.

Keep in mind he would not be the first Smash character to have only appeared in a single, recent game. :4shulk:

The problem isn't in the characters' importance; it's in their ease of rights obtainment. Any big AAA company will likely him and haw and whittle Nintendo down for as much profit as they can gain out of them. They're already well-established brands in their own right, and that doesn't come cheap.

Indie characters are a whole other thing altogether. Indie devs would kill to have their character in Smash, and are therefore likely MUCH easier to negotiate with. By comparison, they'd practically give their characters away to be in Smash.

I don't think SK's inclusion hurts Rayman or Spyro's chances, though (in fact, Spyro's chances have actually risen with Nintendo forking over rights to Bowser and Donkey Kong as Skylander/amiibo hybrids. It's only natural that we'd soon see a Spyro hybrid amongst the Smash line as well).

Based on our ballots, taken by a subset of fans who actually use various forums. This leaves out fans who only cared to take the Nintendo ballot. Results may vary.

If Nintendo owned SK, you know for sure his sales would be way, way better than they are. Even if the game hadn't changed at all, having Nintendo's brand on the title would add a lot of credibility, and therefore sellability, to the game. This isn't really a fair comparison.
Just because Indie devs are easier to negotiate with, doesn't mean Shovel Knight should be included if he's not a worthy character. Which he isn't.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Welcome to the forums, @ Tama Tama . Careful though: here be dragons.

I have enough experience with Smash Bros. rumors and leaks to know they drive people crazy. Especially when more unexpected characters are involved, as is the case of Shovel Knight.

Tama

Smash Apprentice
Welcome to the forums, @ Tama Tama . Careful though: here be dragons.

I have enough experience with Smash Bros. rumors and leaks to know they drive people crazy. Especially when more unexpected characters are involved, as is the case of Shovel Knight.
Thanks. Is Shovel Knight really that unexpected? I thought he was one of the most popular ballot characters back when it started..?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
@ Tama Tama Also, sorry about all the hate you've been getting over a simple rumor. Honestly people can really take things so far.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Thanks. Is Shovel Knight really that unexpected? I thought he was one of the most popular ballot characters back when it started..?
a lot of people have reservations with him getting in
(too new, only one game, other more deserving indies, no japan release ect ect)

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
When he was not in Smashboard : huuuurrrr duuuuuurrr murder him.
When he is now in Smashboard : H-Hi Tama Senpai !

I can't even

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
After talking with Push, I 75% believe the rumor.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
She still have that same awful design. I am disappointed even though I had no expectations.

In your opinion.
And in Sakurai's opinion. Seeing as how he's harped on about not wanting to add "any third party character".

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Yikes! I can't say anything, can I? I wasn't trying to gloat at all. I was just happy that someone else thought the rumours were worth reporting on.
Lol. I feel sorry for anyone who mentions rumors. They get crucified so quickly! I personally thought you were trolling, but I love it because people are so gullible.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Popular? Yes, but many people don't believe he's a candidate for Smash Bros., hence the ruckus.

And because he's not Wolf, Snake, K. Rool or Waddle Dee. #ShotsFired

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Well, if he gets into Smash I guess I finally have an excuse to try out Shovelknight again. Played the first level a couple of months ago.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Tama is just messing around, we all know it's really Ridley getting in. ;)

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
For a while, yes, he was pretty popular, but then people started realizing things, such as his international popularity and iconisim and realized that he wasn't realistic, not to mention with his exclusivity withdrawn he started getting alot of hate. There are alot more things, but I'll just leave it there for now.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey there, @Tama! Welcome to SmashBoards! BTW, from what I've heard, SK WAS a big thing during the beginning of the Smash Ballot, but for reasons that I personally don't know, he was less mentioned by people for the Ballot, wherever I looked around, and from there Shantae more or less, became "THE" indie who (almost, note I said ALMOST) everyone believed should be in Smash. Heck, not even going to lie, she's the ONe indie I REALLY want for Smash, though I'm fine with SK or even Quote. Overall, she seems to have gotten a reverse deal of what SK's gotten for the Smash Ballot. That being SK was a HUGE thing at the beginning of the Ballot's existence, while Shantae was occasionally talked about. These days, it's almost a reverse thing between the two indies now.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Speaking of Source Gaming, my article about Ganondorf is more than half-way done. ;)

#ShamelessPlug

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
R. MIKA confirmed for SFV!

Looks like the theme is bringing back all the Alphas that 4 forgot.

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
He was very popular in the beginning, and while his popularity did begin to dwindle later on, the main reason he's "unexpected" is not the popularity, but more that he's only been in one game as opposed to his competition. Many people including myself, thought that popularity alone wouldn't be enough. Also, welcome to Smashboards!

Edit::4greninja:'d

Last edited:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Wait, you just posted above mine.....

.....I mgiht be too busy :)

Btw, the question I asked about paper mario was just a kind of a joke. I was just surprised so I felt wanting to know your reaction :)

Or you didn't see it because it was unanswered :)

Anyway, I jsut wanted to clear some stuff.

Yesterday, I honestly thought it was very doubtful. Mainly because of the way you tweeted the tease 2 days ago, it just felt either not a leak, or not really credible (I wouldn't expect this kind of stuff to be taken like that, that's all).

As for the video, what mostly made it weird is except the not mentioned sources, everything mentioned was something we knew already.

Add the fact that to me, I could say a lot of reasons as to why i would find shovel knight unlikely (like no sales in JP and me finding the indie treatement a bit overkill) and I just basically couldn't trust it much.

So, now if I understand correctly:

These rumors ARE telling that he's in, but nothign can confirm that.

The question I have is this:

CAN they mean otherwise?

Like, are they just implying to be IN the game or are they explicitly saying "he's playable"?

i don't think it would change my opinion if it was indeed the later, but I just wanted to make sure because you jsut said that these aren't 100% confirming him.

....popularity doesn't DIRECTLY corelate with likelyhood. It helps.....but some time it jsut doesn't matter. Take ridley for example, he has other problems that would not matter if he's first in the ballot.

Shovel knight had many. Being indie in third party and considering his series state for me, is one of them (it jsut seems to be too much trouble for the result even though he has great potential and playstyle). The other one is that he has no sales in JP making his popualrity inconsistent.

Since we are talking in a way where the slots are limited, it's just logicall to say it would e shocking to see this leak true.

Hence why I approach it with extreme caution.

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Don't forget guys:
This might not mean anything, but it looks like Yacht Club Games is hosting a livestream this Thursday at 8PM PST according to the official website.
People speculate the "megaton" thing they've been promising could be announced there which of course could be him in Super Smash Bros. Now I wouldn't get hyped for the stream, but I would keep my eye on it. It could still be interesting without the reveal (if there is one).
If Sakurai retweets this, we know that it's most likely happening.

Last edited:

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
He is vastly popular, but the Smash speculative community generally has an unwritten rule where third-party fighters must be legendary, henceforth indies aren't applicable choices. There's also a lack of Japanese popularity to consider. That's why Shovel Knight is not expected within this community.

It seems reasonable to suggest as such, since that's what precedence holds, but(t butt) time will tell if it is true. More often than not, our unwritten rules are usually broken, anyways - see Ryu destroying the "only one character from one third-party company" rule we used to have. We'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
It mainly has to do with the fact that he's an obscure, 1 year old, 3rd party character that is practically unknown in Japan. Every 3rd party character added has been HUGE gaming icons, and we know Sakurai is very picky about his 3rd party selection, so the idea of this small indie character who's game just came out a year with no release in Japan sounds a bit far feacted, even with the loud fan base he has outside of Japan.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Megaman. Ryu. Pacman. Sonic. Shovel Knight.

Which one of the above is an outlier?

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Well ****, Shovel Knight is happening but me and you, @ Tama Tama gotta talk.

It's not personal but man, just PM me.

Also R. Mika hype

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
To keep the topic on SFV briefly that's 6 characters from 2, 3 from Alpha and 1 new one with 3 new characters remaining, one Alpha veteran remaining and 2 from SF2. (counting Ryu and Ken as 2 and Birdie as Alpha)

If it's bringing back characters from Alpha that skipped 4 then it could be Karin, Ingrid, Maki, Juli, Juni or Sodom... Maybe Eagle if we get technical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom