• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Main problem is that for Villager's up B, it's just one move.

His jab encompasses Little Mac's entire playstyle and gimmick.
Ehh... not really. I mean, I haven't played Balloon Fighter in a while, but the main point is to fly around the enemies, avoid getting hit, and if your 2 balloons pop your out. That's basically Villager's recovery. idk if Balloon Fighter could actually stand on platforms in his game, but still.

Also, I think that Villager's jab doesn't have a bar that let's you OHKO or lowers your recovery on the ground.... I mean, yeah, it's a punch. But lots of characters have punches. Just because he has boxing gloves on means it relates to Little Mac?

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Ehh... not really. I mean, I haven't played Balloon Fighter in a while, but the main point is to fly around the enemies, avoid getting hit, and if your 2 balloons pop your out. That's basically Villager's recovery. idk if Balloon Fighter could actually stand on platforms in his game, but still.

Also, I think that Villager's jab doesn't have a bar that let's you OHKO or lowers your recovery on the ground.... I mean, yeah, it's a punch. But lots of characters have punches. Just because he has boxing gloves on means it relates to Little Mac?

I also don't think that Villager has a gimmick that lets him inflate and deflate his balloons. Seriously these Balloon Fighter and Villager comparisons are no different to "Shulk would be a Marth clone".

And yes, he could stand on platforms. I'm using Little Mac as a foil to point out how completely ridiculous these "he has no potential" comments are.

I'm staggered that a community of people that plays a game that features a full moveset based on a dog that did nothing but laugh at you is this unimaginative.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
You know why we are all lost.
We lost a member of our Family.
While we have Sakurai the Daddy to Smash. We have Iwata our Uncle who helped us through the hard times (The programing) At the end of the Day folks.
We are a Nintendo Family which ever way you look at it. And Smash does a darn good Job at Tying this family Together.

I don't think this is a good idea, because while it is cool, it's not as if 7 year olds would ask their mom to get the new Iwata amiibo over their favorite characters like Mario or Link. And even then, what unique things would it do?
It's just a nice thought I had. And it's not selfish as the proceeds would go to helping something for the greater good.

Khoru

Smash Champion
a balloon fighter amiibo with proceeds to cancer research would be great tbh
(beyond the whole in-game use thing)

making an iwata amiibo feels kinda wrong though

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
You know why we are all lost.
We lost a member of our Family.
While we have Sakurai the Daddy to Smash. We have Iwata our Uncle who helped us through the hard times (The programing) At the end of the Day folks.
We are a Nintendo Family which ever way you look at it. And Smash does a darn good Job at Tying this family Together.

It's just a nice thought I had. And it's not selfish as the proceeds would go to helping something for the greater good.
Yeah, it'd be nice to have an Iwata next to my Mario. Would probably just have to edit a Sword Mii, though. puts into pile of things i want to do but never will

Overall though it'd seem like using Iwata's death to make amiibo get more $$$ for some people, and I could see where they're coming from.

Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Yeah, it'd be nice to have an Iwata next to my Mario. Would probably just have to edit a Sword Mii, though. puts into pile of things i want to do but never will

Overall though it'd seem like using Iwata's death to make amiibo get more $$$ for some people, and I could see where they're coming from.
As I stated in my past post if it doesn't happen I will make my own from the Sword Fighter. But I understand fully were your coming from and would just like to inform it's not just me who thought of this.
https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-c..._medium=copylink&sharecordion_display=control

a balloon fighter amiibo with proceeds to cancer research would be great tbh
(beyond the whole in-game use thing)

making an iwata amiibo feels kinda wrong though
This would be better.
EDIT:
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I want Lolo & Lala in as a duo in Super Smash Bros. now. Perhaps not as a ballot character, but definitely later on and not as a replacement for Ice Climbers. I don't think it's inaccurate to say they're a precursor to Kirby, right?
Um, it's crazy that he's not playable in Smash Bros. yet at all.
Yeah it's surprising when you think about it. Literally the only thing holding him back is that Sakurai doesn't see him as playable material. He'll get in if whoever takes over as director sees Toad as playable material (preferably not Captain Toad).

D

Deleted member

Yhe problem with Balloon Fighter is that everything he does, villager does.
Yeah yeah, his Jab is a reference to Punch-Out, but you don't see him doing uppercuts and side-bing out of the edge
Meanwhile, all BF is capable of is done in his Up-B
Unless someone can prove me wrong and do/show me a feasible moveset for BF, I don't see how he can be more than someone with generic standard moves and a gimmicky Up-B

Khoru

Smash Champion
I want Lolo & Lala in as a duo in Super Smash Bros. now. Perhaps not as a ballot character, but definitely later on and not as a replacement for Ice Climbers. I don't think it's inaccurate to say they're a precursor to Kirby, right?
does nintendo actually own eggerland though? i've never really been sure of this. i figured HAL was in a similar position to game freak.
baten kaitos is also kinda weird like that

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
So are we really arguing about Balloon fighter.Villager literally toke his whole gimmick with his up-b and has other stated balloon fighter shouldn't just get in because of iwata's death it should get in on his own merits

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Um, it's crazy that he's not playable in Smash Bros. yet at all.
Not really considering Toad is literally just an NPC who hands out power ups and gives the 'Sorry but our Princess is in another castle'. So he's not really all that important to the Mario series as whole, him not being from the Mario spin-offs; that is very odd. Him not being playable in Super Smash Bros. is pretty par for the course for any minor NPC character in any series. And remember something, you can remove Toad from the Mario games, mushroom houses would pretty much just be a place to gain free power ups, and you only really need the scene where Mario finds Peach, so he pretty much is the most expendable Mario character.

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
Villager doesn't use the sparks.
Villager doesn't use the propellers.
Villager doesn't refer to the enemies or the fish in anyway.
Villager doesn't pump balloons.
Villager doesn't have a gimmick based on Balloon Fight. (More balloons = More floaty, more jumps, etc.)
Villager's moveset isn't based on Balloon Fight, it is based on Animal Crossing.
Only one move does refer to Balloon Fight.

Balloon Fight is more than Villager's up special.
Don't cut it down to this.

In fact, Balloon Fighter does probably have more potential to be a unique fighter than Fox, Captain Falcon and Little Mac ever had.

Last edited:

Lucimar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Callin
3DS FC
1332-8783-7823
Villager doesn't have a gimmick based on Balloon Fight. (More balloons = More floaty, more jumps, etc.)
Villager's moveset isn't based on Balloon Fight, it is based on Animal Crossing.

In fact, Balloon Fighter does probably have more potential to be a unique fighter than Fox, Captain Falcon and Little Mac ever had.
This. Sakurai can and will make him a unique character if he wants to and Balloon Fight has plenty to pull from to make a unique moveset. Remember how the only thing the Duck Hunt Dog did was laugh at you after you miss a shot? Sakurai still managed to make a unique moveset for him anyway by pulling things from the Light Gun games. Same thing applies to Balloon Fighter.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero

The Fish.
Was it not referenced in Summit?
Correct me if I am wrong guys.

And yes of course I know about the 3ds Balloon Fight stage.

In all Fairness the Villager is there too.

wow. now I want Balloon Fighter playable. :urg:

I also want those 17 minutes back

Khoru

Smash Champion
Not really considering Toad is literally just an NPC who hands out power ups and gives the 'Sorry but our Princess is in another castle'. So he's not really all that important to the Mario series as whole, him not being from the Mario spin-offs; that is very odd. Him not being playable in Super Smash Bros. is pretty par for the course for any minor NPC character in any series. And remember something, you can remove Toad from the Mario games, mushroom houses would pretty much just be a place to gain free power ups, and you only really need the scene where Mario finds Peach, so he pretty much is the most expendable Mario character.
he's an unnecessary character, but he's been around since the original super mario bros and has had a huge number of playable roles since our smb2.
lmao

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Sakurai probably thought of Villager's recovery being a balloon then just threw the pose in as a cool throwback. It's not balloons because of Balloon Fight, it's balloons because of Animal Crossing.

The Ice Climbers using hammers didn't stop King Dedede.

Bowser being a heavy weight with a fire breath and spiral recovers didn't stop Charizard from having a fire breath and spiral recovery.

Bowser Jr. having a cannonball wont stop King K. Rool having a cannonball.

etc.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
The arguing and bickering here is really starting to get grating. Especially when it gets so heated. Can't we just put our differences aside?

For the record, I have a extremely hard time seeing Balloon Fight work as a fighter, but if they manage to make him work in a great way then I'm happy with that. So... I'm kind of neutral thinking about this.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
I just wanna know where did all these fans come from.I have no problem with people wanting balloon fighter and i'm 100% sure that sakurai can make a him a unique fighter.But i think people are supporting him for the wrong reasons and that's what i'm agaisnt

Chrono.

Balloon Fighter is quirky and weird yeah, but that doesn't mean he could translate well as a fighter.

All I'm gonna say.

Last edited:

Khoru

Smash Champion
Sakurai probably thought of Villager's recovery being a balloon then just threw the pose in as a cool throwback. It's not balloons because of Balloon Fight, it's balloons because of Animal Crossing.

The Ice Climbers using hammers didn't stop King Dedede.

Bowser being a heavy weight with a fire breath and spiral recovers didn't stop Charizard from having a fire breath and spiral recovery.

Bowser Jr. having a cannonball wont stop King K. Rool having a cannonball.

etc.
very fair point about the recovery likely being AC-based. the developers didn't have to put in a Neat Reference though. there was no particular reason to reference it, a series entirely tangentially related to AC. the only thing the games have to do with each other is that you could play balloon fight in the first game.
these equivalencies are unbalanced because they... the ice climbers didn't use comically oversized hammers with stars on them. bowser jr doesn't wield a blunderbuss. but the villager? the villager dons the balloon fighter's hat, with two balloons attached, in a move called Balloon Trip.

oh ok i'll stop now

Last edited:

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
So the next Direct is probably delayed because of obvious reasons. I don't mind at all, they need as much time to recover from this at Nintendo as we do.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Everyone who talks about Toad as playable in Smash as not necessary seems so uneducated about the character.

D

Deleted member

does nintendo actually own eggerland though? i've never really been sure of this. i figured HAL was in a similar position to game freak.
baten kaitos is also kinda weird like that
That's a good question. I'd liked to know where the Eggerland series fall in. I do know Adventure of Lolo 1 & 2 got published by Nintendo when it got released for the Virtual Console.
Everyone who talks about Toad as playable in Smash as not necessary seems so uneducated about the character.
Unless a character's inclusion/exclusion has a considerable impact on sales, it's not "necessary". Toad should definitely be in, but would sales really be that much better if he got in?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I don't think anyone is getting into Smash to increase ''sales", if you think that's why Sakurai includes people I think you're blind to the way the man selects characters.

He'd pick Toad or anyone really because he saw potential for an interesting play style, not ''OH MY GOD, MILLIONS OF COPIES SOLD! MONEY IN MY POCKET!"

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
So the next Direct is probably delayed because of obvious reasons. I don't mind at all, they need as much time to recover from this at Nintendo as we do.
Yeah, that'll be the last thing on their minds at the moment.

However, at the end of the day, Nintendo is still a business. Perhaps there will be a Star Fox Direct or a Zelda Direct while they sort things out at the head office.

Considering the board would have known the full extent of Iwata's illness, I think they'll be pretty quick to name the next CEO.

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
If Toad ever becomes playable, I hope his voice is as spammable as it was in SMB2 GBA

YEAHH
HUAHH
WHEEE
AWWWWWWW
HUAHH
JUST WHAT I NEEDED
HAUHH
JUST WHAT I NEEDED
WHEEEE

Last edited:

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
I just wanna know where did all these fans come from.I have no problem with people wanting balloon fighter and i'm 100% sure that sakurai can make a him a unique fighter.But i think people are supporting him for the wrong reasons and that's what i'm agaisnt
I can only speak for myself:

I was aware that the wish for Balloon Fighter as a character exists, but I never was interested enough to look more into it, probably because I couldn't imagine how he could work.
Until the recent happening.
Because then I looked into the Balloon Fighter thread and saw some ideas how he can work. And I liked the idea.
So I became a supporter.

Iwata isn't the reason I support him. Iwata was the reason to look more into it.

Seeing one moveset randomly is the reason is started to support Excitebiker.

D

Deleted member

If Toad ever becomes playable, I hope his voice is as spammable as it was in SMB2 GBA

YEAHH
HUAHH
WHEEE
AWWWWWWW
HUAHH
JUST WHAT I NEEDED
HAUHH
JUST WHAT I NEEDED
WHEEEE
4 Taunts.

YEAH!
DAIPER ADVENTURE!