• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
I remember him being a pain in the right hands, I mained Tekkaman Blade and Zero and found an infinite with Zero if you use the Wiimote. 1,1,1, dash attack, rinse repeat, Mega Crash if your foe does the same. Karas' only weakness was having the lowest amount of HP in the game. And Roll was playable
Wii-mote combos were busted. I remember a wii-mote only chun-li combo (single button lightning legs combo). Iirc, wiimote weren't allowed in tournaments unless a classic controller or fightstick was connected.

Speaking of mains, I had two Teams: Alex/Roll and J.Condor/Doranjo. I dabbled in Tekkaman blade, but I was never good with him.

I still hope for a TvC2. We missed out on a lot of cool characters. Samurai Pizza cats, Speed Racer, Soul Taker, Nue, Breaking Boss, etc.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Wii-mote combos were busted. I remember a wii-mote only chun-li combo (single button lightning legs combo). Iirc, wiimote weren't allowed in tournaments unless a classic controller or fightstick was connected.

Speaking of mains, I had two Teams: Alex/Roll and J.Condor/Doranjo. I dabbled in Tekkaman blade, but I was never good with him.

I still hope for a TvC2. We missed out on a lot of cool characters. Samurai Pizza cats, Speed Racer, Soul Taker, Nue, Breaking Boss, etc.
Would certainly be cool to see a sequel
Also, @ Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei I have a question, am I allowed to use thif gif without putting it in spoilers?
I ask this because Shulk has visible nipples in smash.

My reaction to Shulk's nips

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
D

Deleted member

I would love to see a KLK game, even more if made by Platinum.
Imagine it being a fighting game with SoulCalibur's armor destroying mechanic, would be such a great fit for the show :awesome:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Would certainly be cool to see a sequel
Also, @ Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei I have a question, am I allowed to use thif gif without putting it in spoilers?
I ask this because Shulk has visible nipples in smash.

My reaction to Shulk's nips
That's fine.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I would love to see a KLK game, even more if made by Platinum.
Imagine it being a fighting game with SoulCalibur's armor destroying mechanic, would be such a great fit for the show :awesome:
Aikuro confirmed bottom tier, he's already naked

I'd personally prefer a Dynasty Warriors KLK game, it just fits, especially with Decapitation Mode as a finisher

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I've wanted Balloon Fighter long before Iwata's passing. Since Melee to be exact.
Oh.

That's okay then. :4pacman:

It's just the idea of "Iwata died, let's add Balloon Fighter" puts a bad taste in my mouth. It just seems trivial.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Oh.

It's just the idea of "Iwata died, let's add Balloon Fighter" puts a bad taste in my mouth. It just seems trivial.
Balloon Fighter being Iwata's baby is just the icing on the cake for why he should be in. Extremely important and iconic character and awesome moveset potential. What's not to want?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I had a dream last night I was playing Smash Brothers with Iwata, he eventually said something I guess was along the lines of ''You think that is neat, let me show you this, put this code into E-Shop."

It was a code for free ballot DLC and we fought one another again as K.Rool and Dixie Kong.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That's fine.
tfw best mod approves of certain gifs

Oh.

I think that Iwata deserves a regular trophy at the very least, and this might be pushing it, but an AT in which he says "Direkutori tsuu yuu" and boosts the fighting spirit of the summoner

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Balloon Fighter being Iwata's baby is just the icing on the cake for why he should be in. Extremely important and iconic character and awesome moveset potential. What's not to want?
Wanting Balloon Fighter is fine heck I'd even support him but what I don't want to see is Balloon Fighter supporters using Iwata's death as a reason for him to get into Smash. It seems disrespectful

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
Wanting Balloon Fighter is fine heck I'd even support him but what I don't want to see is Balloon Fighter supporters using Iwata's death as a reason for him to get into Smash. It seems disrespectful
My thoughts exactly.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Regardless of the fact that he should be in anyway, tributing someone's work is anything but disrespectful.

Is it disrespectful to erect statues of people posthumously?

Frankly for anyone who it applies who would like the character now because of Iwata's passing, that anyone would call a fan trying to honour someone who meant a lot to them 'disrespectful' is absolutely appalling.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Straying off the topic for a sec, I forgot to post this yesterday:
I don't care how, but by some way we need to get Burb to change his name into that.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Regardless of the fact that he should be in anyway, tributing someone's work is anything but disrespectful.

What Swampy's saying is that saying 'Hey, support this character because Iwata died' is pretty rude, even if unintended. It's like how PETA pretty much said "It's sad Iwata died, he inspired us to make great parodies such as Super Chick Bros and Pokemon Black and Blue to raise awareness against animal abuse, try them out on our site"

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think a real statue/figurine of Iwata would be more respectful to Iwata then a virtual trophy. But I guess that's just my opinion....

Maybe it's too soon to implement Balloon Fighter. But I see no real harm in including him for the next Smash. At least not any more than including Mr. Game & Watch for Mr. Yokoi..... I think its sweet to pay tribute to them by including his first character in Smash. After all, Iwata has always wanted gamers to have fun above all else. :/

I suppose that's just me again though.

Of course, supporting Balloon Fighter on Iwata's expense is wrong though. And that's certainly not the way to go with it. But I don't think anyone's doing that. (At least I hope not)

Last edited:

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123

Frankly that anyone would call a fan trying to honour someone who meant a lot to them 'disrespectful' is absolutely appalling.
Is this truly the best way to tribute Iwata? I understand that Balloon Fight was his baby and I can see that it does show that we care about Iwata but I just don't want supporters to go "guys, balloon fighter has to be in because Iwata died." Yes Balloon Fight is an excellent game, yes Iwata was an excellent man and he does deserve all the respect he can get. But if he is put into Smash that's because Sakurai decides to honor Iwata. There are other methods that fans can take and we've seen that during these 3 days. Don't use the ballot and Iwatas death as a reason for Balloon Fighter to be put into Smash. Again not that I'm shooting Balloon Fighter down, but there are other ways that we the fans can honor Iwata.

Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
I think a real statue/figurine of Iwata would be more respectful to Iwata then a virtual trophy. But I guess that's just my opinion....

Maybe it's too soon to implement Balloon Fighter. But I see no real harm in including him for the next Smash. At least not any more than including Mr. Game & Watch for Mr. Yokoi..... I think its sweet to pay tribute to them by including his first character in Smash. After all, Iwata has always wanted the gamers to have fun above all else. :/

I suppose that's just me again though.
An Iwata Amiibo.
All the money gathered from this Amiibo should go towards helping cure Cancer.
That would be the best Tribute seeing without him Amiibo wouldn't exist.
And make sure it is Mass Produced.

Lucimar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Callin
3DS FC
1332-8783-7823
Balloon Fight is such an awesome game. I would love for Balloon Fighter to be a playable as DLC or in future installments. He was my most wanted retro character pre-release until they seemingly deconfirmed him with Villager's up special.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Is this truly the best way to tribute Iwata? I understand that Balloon Fight was his baby and I can see that it does show that we care about Iwata but I just don't want supporters to go guys, balloon fighter has to be in because Iwata died. Yes Balloon Fight is an excellent game, yes Iwata was an excellent man and he does deserve all the respect he can get. But if he is put into Smash that's because Sakurai decides to honor Iwata. There are other methods that fans can take and we've seen that during these 3 days. Don't use the ballot and Iwatas death as a reason for Balloon Fighter to be put into Smash. Again not that I'm shooting Balloon Fighter down, but there are other ways that we the fans can honor Iwata.
No one is saying "Balloon Fighter should only be in because of Iwata".

Balloon Fighter should be in anyway. The fact that Iwata was so involved with the character is just icing on the cake, and makes it a good opportunity for his fans to be able to tribute him.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
Balloon Fight is such an awesome game. I would love for Balloon Fighter to be a playable as DLC or in future installments. He was my most wanted retro character pre-release until they seemingly deconfirmed him with Villager's up special.
I'd say that Villagers Up Special is a reference to both Balloon Fighter and the Balloon presents that you find in Animal Crossing. I doubt that outright deconfirms Balloon Fighter

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
An Iwata Amiibo.
I'd certainly take a physical figurine of Iwata over a virtual trophy. Especially if it's also used for a good cause. c:

But I think a single physical statue in his honour may be the best thing to go for.

Last edited:

Lucimar

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Callin
3DS FC
1332-8783-7823
I'd say that Villagers Up Special is a reference to both Balloon Fighter and the Balloon presents that you find in Animal Crossing. I doubt that outright deconfirms Balloon Fighter
Oh, I know he's not technically deconfirmed now. That's just what I thought pre-release. If Sakurai wants to add Balloon Fighter then I'm sure Villager will have little impact on his decision.

Edit: Oh and it's been 1 year since the creation of my account on Smashboards! I'm not going to create a big speech but I want to thank everybody here for being such awesome people! You've made my time on Smashboards a really enjoyable experience!

Last edited:

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
I think that Iwata deserves a regular trophy at the very least, and this might be pushing it, but an AT in which he says "Direkutori tsuu yuu" and boosts the fighting spirit of the summoner
You know what.
That could work. We have Brain Age in there.
Why not add this seeing how the models origin is from a direct.
It's like a perfect tribute.

EDIT: Or he could replace Master Hand for day of the year every year.
Similar to the Likes of Animal Crossing Events (Which he influenced as well)

I'd certainly take a physical figurine of Iwata over a virtual trophy. Certainly if it's also used for a good cause. c:
There is actually a petition for this to happen.
If it doesn't I will be making my own be it completely original or based upon the Mii Swordfighter.:4miisword:

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I don't think the Villager would affect Balloon Fighter's chances. His neutral attack is based on Punch-Out, but that didn't affect Little Mac.
Main problem is that for Villager's jab, it's one move.

His Up B encompasses Balloon Fighter's entire playstyle and gimmick.

Khoru

Smash Champion
villager has been used as a stand-in for anything that balloon fighter should be
pictures of the day referencing balloon fight had villagers using their up-specials, and instead of any sort of render, the balloon fight masterpiece displays villager with the body cropped out so you can just see the balloons and helmet

if you're going to put in a Balloon Character then make it tingle - one of his games was a reskinned balloon fight, thus he can do everything (all two things) that balloon fighter would do
plus everything else from his like ten other appearances

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I too supported him pre-Smash E3 2013. :p
However I don't view it as "Iwata died, let's add Balloon Fighter", that doesn't feel like something would make people support him, that's something a small minority would do. The majority of fans have honored and respected Iwata since his death, and if they vote for Balloon Fighter, that will be because they want to directly honor him with his inclusion.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
villager has been used as a stand-in for anything that balloon fighter should be
pictures of the day referencing balloon fight had villagers using their up-specials, and instead of any sort of render, the balloon fight masterpiece displays villager with the body cropped out so you can just see the balloons and helmet

if you're going to put in a Balloon Character then make it tingle - one of his games was a reskinned balloon fight, thus he can do everything (all two things) that balloon fighter would do
plus everything else from his like ten other appearances
What were they supposed to use as a stand in if they wanted to reference Balloon Fight then? Pikachu? Balloon Fighter isn't an AT so there's no model of him. They simply used the closest thing they had.

I find it bizarre that you would try and rule out Balloon Fighter because one character uses balloons in one other move and yet suggest Tingle, who is already an Assist Trophy.

Main problem is that for Villager's jab, it's one move.

His Up B encompasses Balloon Fighter's entire playstyle and gimmick.
Main problem is that for Villager's up B, it's just one move.

His jab encompasses Little Mac's entire playstyle and gimmick.

Last edited:

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
No sense in turning on each other, especially when it pertains to Mr. Iwata. I can guarantee you that's certainly not what he would have wanted.

Both sides have merit and we should respect that. I would love to see Balloon Fighter make it into Smash at some point, but to do it immediately after (and as a result of) someone's death does not seem appropriate. I'd like to see Balloon Fighter added as a special tribute/surprise retro character in the next Smash Bros, though. To quickly rush to include him as DLC does not seem like it would quite embody the tribute it deserves to be.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
An Iwata Amiibo.
I don't think this is a good idea, because while it is cool, it's not as if 7 year olds would ask their mom to get the new Iwata amiibo over their favorite characters like Mario or Link. And even then, what unique things would it do?

Khoru

Smash Champion
What were they supposed to use as a stand in if they wanted to reference Balloon Fight then? Pikachu? Balloon Fighter isn't an AT so there's no model of him. They simply used the closest thing they had.

I find it bizarre that you would try and rule out Balloon Fighter because one character uses balloons in one other move and yet suggest Tingle, who is already an Assist Trophy.
if you'd stop being so shortsighted, it would be clear that i'm speaking in the general sense of smash bros and not for smash 4
villager's up-b could be changed, but the only characters to have specials changed in concept, appearance, and all are :4bowser::4charizard::4mario::4olimar::4pit::4sheik::4zelda::4zss:
that's a significant minority among 60-something characters

anyway yeah i forgot that punch-out literally invented the concept of boxing

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think what Nintendo should do is the same as what they did when Robin Williams passed away.

Basically, right now this is a very depressing moment not just for the gaming community, but also for Nintendo themselves and especially Iwata's friends and family.

I think trying to do anything at this point may be viewed in the wrong way, one way or another. Implementing Balloon Fighter as DLC may be viewed as done for selfish reasons as a few are concerned here. But making trophies, figurines or amiibo's of him may also be viewed as monetizing on his death.

Even if that's not the intention. It may be viewed as such by some. Right now I think it's for the best if Nintendo where to honor Iwata's passing with all the respect they can give.

And perhaps a number of years down the line, Sakurai may include Balloon Fighter for Smash 5 in memory to Iwata and no one can claim then that he did this with any bad intentions. Especially since the Balloon Fighter would be a part of the initial roster rather than DLC which may still get misinterpreted in a wrong way.

That's.... what I think may be the best thing to do.....

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
if you'd stop being so shortsighted, it would be clear that i'm speaking in the general sense of smash bros and not for smash 4
villager's up-b could be changed, but the only characters to have specials changed in concept, appearance, and all are :4bowser::4charizard::4mario::4olimar::4pit::4sheik::4zelda::4zss:
that's a significant minority among 60-something characters

anyway yeah i forgot that punch-out literally invented the concept of boxing
It doesn't matter. Villager doesn't NEED to be changed, at all. Balloon Fighter could be completely unique regardless.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
No one is saying "Balloon Fighter should only be in because of Iwata".

Balloon Fighter should be in anyway. The fact that Iwata was so involved with the character is just icing on the cake, and makes it a good opportunity for his fans to be able to tribute him.
Really? Okay, so let me vote for Balloon Fighter in the ballot. What are the odds that he will beat the likes of K.Rool, Isaac and etc in the ballot? He was never a high contender in the first place, so what makes him so different now. Oh thats right; Iwata died (And may he rest in piece)

You said it yourself
And yet here we are. 4 games and still no Balloon Fighter. So why should we add him now?

Also, about the tributes? Heres what we have so far.

1. Drawings

Shows the artists affections and emotions for Iwata. For the whole world to see.

2. Signatures at the Nintendo World Store

Here we have a lot of fans writing down their thoughts on our beloved Iwata. Bear in mind, this isnt a quick, sign it and go. There was a line for this. People had to waste their time in line to sign this. Id say thats a good way to show your dedication for someone.
3. Flowers at NoA Headquarters

Here, we have several people deliver flowers to NoA headquarters to thank Mr. Iwata for his work. They spent their time and money to make this happen to.

And finally

4. Vote for Balloon Fighter in the Smash Ballot

Here, we have several fans of Iwata voting for one of his characters, Balloon Fighter. Write up your reason, such as moveset potential and balloon gimmick (Dont forget to add that we are honoring Iwata by doing so) and let the ballot end. At this point we can only hope that he will be added into Smash, considering that he is up against other fighters that are undoubtedly more popular.

Now, Anvil, please dont take this the wrong way. Im just trying to show you that voting for Balloon Fighter in the ballot is not the best way to honor Iwata. If Balloon Fighter is added into Smash to honor Iwata, then that is Sakurai who is honoring Iwata, not the fans. We have other ways to show that we care. Please dont take this as me trying to insult, you, Balloon Fighter, BF supporters or Fanbase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom