• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khoru

Smash Champion
So basically.....we're not getting Toad?
yeah, as much as toad should get in, he doesn't seem like the kind of character to be particularly unique
he's speedy and has low jumps. that's his defining characteristic when he's playable and it's... not much

D

Deleted member

I don't think anyone is getting into Smash to increase ''sales", if you think that's why Sakurai includes people I think you're blind to the way the man selects characters.

He'd pick Toad or anyone really because he saw potential for an interesting play style, not ''OH MY GOD, MILLIONS OF COPIES SOLD! MONEY IN MY POCKET!"
I never said that we were going to get a character to increase sales of the game. I believe that any characters that would already got added back in Brawl. What I am saying is that Toad is not a character that needs to be in because his exclusion is not going to keep 99.99% of all people from buying a Smash game if they were already going to do so. Characters like Mario, DK, Link, and Pikachu are necessary because their cuts would result in significant drop in sales and why we 99.99% know they will return in every Smash game that gets made. If Toad is a necessity in Smash despite it being all but guaranteed people will buy Smash in spite of his inclusion, then by that logic, anyone could argue for why their X favorite character needs to be in as well.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Not really considering Toad is literally just an NPC who hands out power ups and gives the 'Sorry but our Princess is in another castle'. So he's not really all that important to the Mario series as whole, him not being from the Mario spin-offs; that is very odd. Him not being playable in Super Smash Bros. is pretty par for the course for any minor NPC character in any series. And remember something, you can remove Toad from the Mario games, mushroom houses would pretty much just be a place to gain free power ups, and you only really need the scene where Mario finds Peach, so he pretty much is the most expendable Mario character.
You use daisy as an example in your arguments and spit on Toad.

How is Toad minor when he's had more playable appearances than Peach, older than Yoshi, and has 2 games of his own. How would CT:TT and Wario's Wood function with no Toad? Exactly. How would Mario Party 10 and all the other spinoffs function without Daisy? Just fine. "Oh, Mario needs to rescue her in the only main game she's been in" lol.

You call him expendable but he's in all of the Mario Karts. His species has 4 distinct characters that are relevant. How many does Yoshi have? How is a character I find in my Happy Meals and soup cans expendable? Why'd he get 2 games and levels in 3DW?
Why is he not important when he's the I don't know, 5th or 6th, maybe 7th character in the Mario series to get a playable appearance? Why is he still appearing in spinoffs? You do know NPC means Non Playable Character? Why is Toad one whenever he has over 60 playable appearances, and more to come with the Wii U Mario Tennis

"most expendable"

please.

sorry if this sounds vicious

Last edited:

How is Toad minor when he's had more playable appearances than Peach, older than Yoshi, and has 2 games of his own. How would CT:TT and Wario's Wood function with no Toad? Exactly. How would Mario Party 10 and all the other spinoffs function without Daisy? Just fine. "Oh, Mario needs to rescue her in the only main game she's been in" lol.

You call him expendable but he's in all of the Mario Karts. His species has 4 distinct characters that are relevant. How many does Yoshi have? How is a character I find in my Happy Meals and soup cans expendable? Why'd he get 2 games and levels in 3DW?
Why is he not important when he's the I don't know, 5th or 6th, maybe 7th character in the Mario series to get a playable appearance? Why is he still appearing in spinoffs? You do know NPC means Non Playable Character? Why is Toad one whenever he has over 60 playable appearances, and more to come with the Wii U Mario Tennis

"most expendable"

please.

adding to this. toad has an amiibo. a fantastic amiibo.

daisy does not. shows at least how someone in Nintendo feels about the 2

Khoru

Smash Champion
adding to this. toad has an amiibo. a fantastic amiibo.

daisy does not. shows at least how someone in Nintendo feels about the 2
i still think they should've done amiibo of all the mp10 chars. that'd've been nice

why was spike in mp10

D

Deleted member

Cute.

As if Sakurai hasn't deemed characters unfit and then latter added them once more ideas came to his mind.
You accuse people of not understanding how Sakurai picks characters, yet you don't understand that you're comparing apples to oranges.

What was Villager's problem? He was seen as a non-combatant and thus didn't "belong" as a fighter. What changed? Sakurai stopped caring whether or not characters "belonged" as combatants so long as they had the potential to reasonably stand out.

What is Toad's presumed problem? Sakurai doesn't see potential for Toad to make him unique and interesting in a meaningful manner.
The only way that's going to change is if something changes within the Mario series that gives Toad what Sakurai finds he's lacking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Aren't they going to release more Amiibos for Mario Party? We had some confirmed and even shown but never hit stores yet. I think there's going to be a second Wave, likely in time for the new Mario & Sonic game (which confirmed to have Amiibo support).

D

Deleted member

Rosalina Mario Party Amiibo pls. I love how the Mario series Amiibo look better than the Smash ones for the most part.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
i still think they should've done amiibo of all the mp10 chars. that'd've been nice

why was spike in mp10
I'm not gonna lie, Spike is one the of the cutest things I've laid my eyes on imo but he really shouldn't had been in over Boo, Birdo, or Dry Bones.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight

"most expendable"

please.

I know Daisy is expandable, when I originally brought up Daisy I was to explaining to someone as to why Daisy would get a good number of votes in a fan poll. And my main point with Toad being the most expandable Mario character, is that he is the most expenable character who features in the MAIN Mario games, I'm merely saying you can remove Toad and nothing will really change for the Mario games. Just because I think Daisy would be a nice edition doesn't mean I don't know that she isn't expandable when it comes to the Mario spin-offs

He may have over 60 playable appearances, but I'm sorry Toad could easily be replaced by any other Mario character in his playable roles in the New Super Mario Bros games.

And I'm merely saying Toad not being playable in Smash is not odd or unusual, since he really isn't all that important to Mario games. Him being missing from Mario spin-off playable rosters is extremely weird, since he is the 5th character from the main Mario series most people know.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
As if Villager is the only person who Sakurai initially passed over and later added.

Little Mac, Mii Fighters, Pac Man, Ryu, etc...

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
Rosalina Mario Party Amiibo pls. I love how the Mario series Amiibo look better than the Smash ones for the most part.
Especially Peach. The SMB series version is near perfection while the Smash one looks seriously off. lol

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'd wager Rosalina with her one total playable appearance in a canon game is a whole lote more expendable to Mario and I say that as someone who adores her tremendously.

D

Deleted member

I'd wager Rosalina with her one total playable appearance in a canon game is a whole lote more expendable to Mario and I say that as someone who adores her tremendously.
Still far better than Waluigi and Daisy :troll:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
I know Daisy is expandable, when I originally brought up Daisy I was to explaining to someone as to why Daisy would get a good number of votes in a fan poll. And my main point with Toad being the most expandable Mario character, is that he is the most expenable character who features in the MAIN Mario games, I'm merely saying you can remove Toad and nothing will really change for the Mario games. Just because I think she would be a nice edition doesn't mean I don't know that.

He may have over 60 playable appearances, but I'm sorry Toad could easily be replaced by any other Mario character in his playable roles in the New Super Mario Bros games.

And I'm merely saying Toad not being playable in Smash is not odd or unusual, since he really isn't all that important to Mario games. Him being missing from Mario spin-off playable rosters is extremely weird, since he is the 5th character from the main Mario series most people know.
There are still alot more characters that are part of Nintendo should be playable before we get more 3rd party characters.
A few examples include a 3rd gen Pokemon, Daisy, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, a bunch of Wario characters, etc.
Daisy does bring something new to the table as the Mario sports rep.
There is a lot to pull from all of the Mario sports games that you could easily use to inspire a moveset for Daisy
For all we know both Daisy and Waluigi where on the list of characters Sakurai was consindering for both Brawl and Smash 4, but decided that he couldn't make them or simply didn't have inspiration for them at the time. Same with how he had nothing for Miis and Pacman at the time, but Smash 4 he was struck by inspiration for them.
You know I always find it funny how some people on Smashboards can't understand that Daisy does actually appeal to a lot of people. Not mention there is actually a lot of crossover from Luigi and Peach's fanbases in Daisy's fanbase. There's actually quite a few who want all of the main Mario trio of Princesses to be in Smash. There's a lot of Mario sports games fans who would prefer her to be the sports rep then Waluigi. So getting a good decent number of people voting for her in polls in not in anyway unusual.

So I would say she's in the likely spot for DLC for Smash 4. Bearing in mind people likely is not as high as highly likely like King K Rool is. So it is possible Daisy could be DLC before King K Rool, is this going to happen? No probably not. Just saying its really funny how some people on Smashboards can't seem to understand Daisy does actually have a decent chance for DLC, its defiantly not as good as King K. Rool, Dixie, Issac and other really popular choices. But Daisy is a character who does have a lot of appeal to causal Smash fans, who don't do hardcore character speculation and the like.
ok

Just because Toad is expendable doesn't mean he's that expendable. In fact, the MK7 team said "we found waluigi to be expendable" when there was all that riot about waluigi not being in.

Also, he must not be THAT expendable regardless if he was the first non-smash character to get an amiibo.

Even then, of course there'll always be that one character who's more expendable than the rest. Doesn't mean they're not important.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As if Villager is the only person who Sakurai initially passed over and later added.

Little Mac, Mii Fighters, Pac Man, Ryu, etc...
Villager is generally the one people cling to first. But, considering you're so eager to try to make me look like a fool for only using the common example, I'll address each one you gave.

Let's see....

Little Mac: Sakurai made no mention of Little Mac being considered prior to Smash 4. Point invalid.

Mii Fighters: Same ****ing reason as Villager; non-combatants.

Pac-Man: Probably the only decent example, going by the older translations of last year. Though going by the more recent translation on Source Gaming of what Sakurai said, it seems he was more in disbelief in the idea that Pac-Man would be a guest as opposed to outright dismissing Pac-Man.
He was notably eager on the idea once Bamco was part of the team, going as far as surprising them with Pac-Man's inclusion.

Ryu: Same as Little Mac, Sakurai had made no mention of Ryu being considered prior to Smash 4's DLC. If you are seriously going to pull the "he said no fighting game characters" card after it's been established that was a misinterpretation of what he really said, we're going to have a problem.

King Dedede.
His very own character.
....which had absolutely nothing to do with Sakurai seeing a lack of potential.

Last edited by a moderator:

Starlight_Lily

ok

Just because Toad is expendable doesn't mean he's that expendable. In fact, the MK7 team said "we found waluigi to be expendable" when there was all that riot about waluigi not being in.

Also, he must not be THAT expendable regardless if he was the first non-smash character to get an amiibo.

Even then, of course there'll always be that one character who's more expendable than the rest. Doesn't mean they're not important.
Umm...

Why exactly are you bringing up my old posts about Daisy?

No seriously why did you bring them up?

I did say Daisy has a lot of moveset potential as the Mario sports rep. I never once said Toad doesn't have as much potential as her.

I should properly say this before you get it stuck in your head:

I DO NOT HATE TOAD

I am simply saying him not being playable in Super Smash Bros is not unusual at all. Its when Toad is missing from a Mario spin-off games playable roster is when alarms go off in my head.

Edit: You also seem to have taken most of those posts out of context, like the list of Nintendo characters who should be playable before indie characters, that was simply something I pulled from the top of my head, and Toad simply didn't jump out at me since I don't really have an attachment to him. But just so you know Toad is on the list of characters who should 100%, no arguments be playable before an indie character.

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Oh no. I started this with my comment about Toad not being a playable Smash character yet. Sorry guys.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Umm...

Why exactly are you bringing up my old posts about Daisy?

No seriously why did you bring them up?

I did say Daisy has a lot of moveset potential as the Mario sports rep. I never once said Toad doesn't have as much potential as her.

I should properly say this before you get it stuck in your head:

I DO NOT HATE TOAD

I am simply saying him not being playable in Super Smash Bros is not unusual at all. Its when Toad is missing from a Mario spin-off games playable roster is when alarms go off in my head.
I only brought them up because of how im a jerk you said you only mentioned her when explaining how she could have a lot of votes.

I never once assumed you hated Toad. It's just that I and a lot of other people have said a lot of reasons for why he should be in.

Last edited:

Jgt044

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Wii U: Jgt044
3DS FC
1005-9641-7502
Someone pass me some more popcorn...

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Just gonna say this: Some of you may remember, but I did support Balloon fighter after the stage was shown off, but dropped it before release. However when the ballot first released, I voted for him, might do it again though...

Khoru

Smash Champion

what the **** am i reading

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue

Burb

The Absolute Worst
While not really relevant to the current discussion, its crazy that Toad hasn't been playable in a Mario Tennis game since the N64.
Birdo has been absent in all Mario Tennis games since 64, too, which is also pretty weird.

Um, it's crazy that he's not playable in Smash Bros. yet at all.
Eh, I think it's a lot crazier that he hasn't been playable in Mario Tennis than Smash.

Mario Tennis is based entirely around Mario, so the chance of him being playable there is much, much higher than it was for getting in Smash. It's a lot stranger to be overlooked in a crowd of just Mario characters than it is to be overlooked in a crowd consisting of pretty much every character from Nintendo's history.

King Dedede.
His very own character.
I'm not sure why he was skipped over in Melee (but it most definitely wasn't due to a "lack of potential"), but the only reason he wasn't in SSB64 (along with Bowser) was due to limited resources.

Dedede is absolutely not on the same boat as characters like Villager and the Miis.

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

I only brought them up because of how im a jerk you said you only mentioned her when explaining how she could have a lot of votes.

I never once assumed you hated Toad. It's just that I and a lot of other people have said a lot of reasons for why he should be in.
I know a lot of people want Toad and a lot of people want Daisy and Waluigi as well. And I see these 3 as probably the last Mario characters we would get in Smash Bros.

My statement abot not hating Toad isn't aimed at you its something aimed at everyone in the thread.

Anyway whenever I look on what to use for a moveset for Toad, I don't really know what to use:
  • Should it be pulled from just one of his most essential playable roles, those basically being New Super Mario Bros. Wii, New Super Mario Bros. Wii U, Wario's Woods, Super Mario 3D World and Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
  • Or a mixture of all those roles to represent all the playable Toads in all the game

Khoru

Smash Champion
I know a lot of people want Toad and a lot of people want Daisy and Waluigi as well. And I see these 3 as probably the last Mario characters we would get in Smash Bros.

My statement abot not hating Toad isn't aimed at you its something aimed at everyone in the thread.

Anyway whenever I look on what to use for a moveset for Toad, I don't really know what to use:
  • Should it be pulled from just one of his most essential playable roles, those basically being New Super Mario Bros. Wii, New Super Mario Bros. Wii U, Wario's Woods, Super Mario 3D World and Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
  • Or a mixture of all those roles to represent all the playable Toads in all the game
he'd probably be some sort of composite character, perhaps emphasizing a particular one over the others, like the zelda characters.
while sakurai and co do reference a lot of obscure things, i kind of doubt that wario's woods would be, even though toad starred in it. just a thought.

(also i'd argue that paper mario and kamek are also good candidates but)

Starlight_Lily

he'd probably be some sort of composite character, perhaps emphasizing a particular one over the others, like the zelda characters.
while sakurai and co do reference a lot of obscure things, i kind of doubt that wario's woods would be, even though toad starred in it. just a thought.

(also i'd argue that paper mario and kamek are also good candidates but)
Dang it. I knew I forgot someone. So four more reps for Mario: Daisy, Waluigi, Toad and Paper Mario.

I could see Toad sing the bombs from Wario's Woods in someway.

Edit: Kamek would obviously be a Yoshi rep.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom