• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
I'm looking at the character descriptions for Fire Emblem Fates on Serene's Forest right now. While there are many new looking and interesting characters, there are some that are complete rehashes from Awakening, namely these:
Lazward is literally Inigo, and Luna is literally Severa.

It doesn't help that their art uses the same color for hair since the styles are the same. Both Inigo and Severa's hair colored is varied by the players choice in Awakening.

....unless this is intentional, which I do not understand why it would be.

EDIT: Shoot, Odin might as well be Owain, also.
They knew we'd buy it anyway so they figured "Hey, why bother trying"

I heard there's a character who looks like Tharja as well.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Wait, people still haven't completed the Wii U challenges? While some of them are hard, most of them are just time consuming. I've even beat All Star on Hard with the DLC characters and Classic above 7.0 with them just because.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The 3DS challenges are decent and piss way but the Street Smash challenges can go away

Last edited:

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
So, I took me some time and wrote down a moveset...

VIRUSES

Infect the Fight!

(During the moveset, I will mention "big Viruses" and "small Viruses", the big Viruses are the Viruses from above.
The small Viruses are the small versions you always see in-game in the jar:
)

Even though you play technically as A LOT of Viruses, it looks like you play only one big Virus at a time.
You start the fight as one big blue Virus, you can see that a lot of small blue Viruses fuse themselves into the one big Virus.
The blue Virus is always the first color of those three, for example on artworks, that's why you start as a blue Virus.

The Viruses' gimmick is that each color has different stats:
Blue: Average strength, average speed.
Red: Rather weak (Knockback and Damage), but very fast (start-/end-lag and running speed.)
Yellow: Very strong (Knockback and Damage), but rather slow (start-/end-lag and running speed.).

This is inspired by their different stats in "Mario & Luigi: Super Star Saga".
I chose to make the blue to be average, the red to be fast, and the yellow to be slow because of which variation they are.
The blue Virus is "Chill". (Calm)
The red Virus is "Fever". (Hot, fast)
And the yellow Virus is "Weird". (...Weird)

The color changes when the player gets a certain amount of damage.
For example, you start as the blue Virus, you get 25% damage, then the big blue Virus explodes into a few small blue Viruses which then disappear too. Where the big blue Virus exploded are now a few small red Virus ready to fuse into one big red Virus, they take the place where the blue Virus was.
During the transformation you have a very few amount of invincible frames, so it could help you out some times.
(The damage you take stays after the transformation, of course.)

Beside some animations, the strength and speed, and some special attack effects, they aren't different.

And now to some stats and miscellaneous:
- Height: They all are about :4metaknight:'s height.
- Weight: They are about :4pikachu:'s weight.
- Falling speed: About :4olimar:'s.

- Running speed:
Blue: About the speed of :4mario:. (Average)
Red: About the speed of :4charizard:. (Fast)
Yellow: About the speed of :4dedede:. (Slow)

- Stage entrance:
A few blue Viruses appear out of nowhere and fuse into one big blue Virus.

- Idle animation:

(Yellow's should be slower.)
After a while, Blue will stretch himself, red will wobble around, and yellow takes a breath.

- Taunts:
1. They hold their belly and laugh.
2. A few different colored small Viruses are floating above you.
3. They do their iconic animations, facing directly into the camera.

- Victory Theme: The first 7 seconds of this:
(A remixed version, of course)

- Victory poses:
1. A lot of different colored small Viruses are floating in cycles while laughing.
2. The big red Virus is sitting on top of the others. Blue is looking angry, Yellow doesn't react.
3. They will stand on their platforms (as seen in the idle animation gif), which are spinning around while the Viruses laugh:

Standard attacks and Smash attacks:
- Jab Combo: Two simple jabs followed by a kick upwards, a great combo starter at low percentages.

- Dash attack: Jumps forward, ending up faceplanting.

- Stilt: A straight kick forward. Somewhat similar to :4ganondorf:'s.

- Dtilt: A punch downwards.

- Utilt: The Virus slaps upwards above his head.

- Smash: The Virus holds his hands in front of him while three small Viruses are jumping forward. Similar to :4mewtwo:'s.

- Dsmash: The Virus spins around himself while holding one foot out.
- Usmash: The Virus holds his hands above him, three Viruses are spinning around there. Works similar to :4zelda:'s.

- Nair: A spin in mid air. Similar to :4duckhunt:'s.

- Fair: Leaning forward while punching.
- Bair: A backhanded punch. Similar to :4littlemac:'s. (But effective)
- Uair: A kick while spinning. Similar to :4pacman:'s.
- Dair: A kick with both feet downwards. Similar to :4ganondorf:'s.

- Grab: The Virus holds one hand in front of him, small Viruses floating around the opponent while hold. Inspired by :4greninja:'s.
- Pummel: The small Viruses tackle the opponent.
- Fthrow: The big Virus kicks the opponent forward.
- Uthrow: The small Viruses drag the opponent above the big Virus, he then punches upwards.
- Bthrow: The big Virus grabs the opponent and throws him backwards.
- Dthrow: The big Virus jumps over the opponent and drags him down together with the small Viruses. A great combo starter.
(Blue has an ice effect, Red fire, and Yellow nothing.)

Special attacks and Final Smash:
- Natuarl special: "Sneezing"
The Virus sneezes and sends a few small viruses of the same color in front of him. It has a great range and does a lot of damage. For the blue Virus, the enemy gets frozen, for the red Virus it has a fire effect, for the yellow Virus it has a random effect: Ice (freezes enemies), Fire (sends the enemy horizontal), Dark (does a lot of damage), Electricity (sends the enemy vertical), or nothing (nothing).

- Side special: "Isolated Jar"
The Virus throws a jar at the enemy, when it hits, it brakes and small Viruses will float around the enemy, doing small damage.
Similar to :4olimar:'s Pikmin. When the jar hits the ground, a few small Viruses will still float around at this place for a short period of time, if an opponent runs into it, they will start to float around him.

- Down special: "Difficult Research"
The Virus pops into a few small Viruses, they can wandering around fast, if you hold the B button. If you let go of the B button you fuse into the Virus again, with a strong "pop!". Similar to :4metaknight:'s.

- Up special: "U.F.O."
A small U.F.O. appears above the Virus with Viruses from Dr. Luigi around it. The fighting Virus will grab onto the U.F.O. with both floating upwards. It has a rather slow upward movement, but it can change the right/left movement very fast.

Note: I'm not sure if I want the Virus to be in charge of the color change, this is because there isn't an attack doing that, because I felt like this would ruin the gimmick a little, but if you want to be in charge of it:

- Down Special (2): "Wrong Diagnosis"
The Virus starts to wobble around lying on the ground, then he will explode into smaller Viruses that will then disappear too, leafing small Viruses of the next color where he was, which will then fuse into the next color's big Virus.
-->

- Final Smash: "Level 20"
When activated, a jar appears out of nowhere in front of the Virus, sucking every opponent around into it. Then a small cutscene starts with the enemies spinning in the middle, then a lot of Virus appear, hitting the enemies in the jar.
When all Viruses have appeared, the jar explodes, sending enemies miles away. Mixture between :4villager:'s and :4falcon:'s.

Now that I wrote down this whole moveset... I think they are now my second most wanted newcomers... At this point, I think I'd even be ready to trade half the cast in Smash for them... Welp.

I mean, they technically are villains, they would make an interesting fighter, and they are (at least a little bit) iconic...
Thoughts and opinions are appreciated, but please don't mention "WE HAVE ENOUGH MARIO REPS!!!11!1!!!eleven!!", because this is completely opinion based and also, it has little to do with the idea of the Viruses in Smash.

Also, shout-out to @
WeirdJoe27, who somehow happened to post something right before I wanted post this.
You have an amazing avatar!

------------

EDIT: I forgot, I probably should mention, why exactly I chose this gimmick.
Well, if you want all three Viruses in the game, there are three "obvious" ways to have them all:
1. Three Climbers. They could all fight at once, like the Ice Climbers, but I'm personally not a fan of the idea of "Three Climbers". Also, if the 3DS couldn't handle Two Climbers, Three Climbers are a lot more impossible.
2. Alts. Have one Virus fight and the other Viruses are alts. But I didn't like the idea, because they always were a trio.
3. Transformation. This is kinda the way I chose, but not entirely, because if they would just transform, they would just be nothing different than the Monado powers, for example.

So I chose this gimmick, because it is a new way to transform, and more true-to-nature for the Viruses, I believe.
Great stuff, and thanks for the shout-out! I've actually contemplated having the Virus's as playable characters, but never much beyond a 'what if'. I really like your idea and hopefully Sakurai at least considers something similar. I've always felt that each series should have at least one hero and one villain rep. I've stated this many times, but Dr. Mario is its own series and needs to be represented as such. No more sharing a logo, music or stages. Dr. Mario represents Nintendo's puzzle game history and needs to reflect that.

In the next Smash game, I'd like to see Doc get a total overhaul with a unique moveset or, at the very least, differentiate him from Mario a little better (come on, he went to college instead of settling for a basic plumber's job!). The Virus's as playable characters would certainly help this as they could share the icon and further help represent this amazing and popular franchise.

Hey, if we can get 5 Fire Emblem characters, I think Doc can get his own icon, theme, stage and another series rep. Get on it, Sakurai!

Geno Boost

Smash Master
tbh all I do with DH is roll to the side and spam projectiles. I almost always win. Depends if I'm hardcore srs at the time or just want a fight.

Expect me in BannedLand in a couple of days.

-and?
-just because it was the first doesn't mean the other's wouldn't had existed. They're all very different anyways.
-And?
-okay? You can say any game is special? "mk8 lets u play as link so it's special"
-don't get this point. do you mean they made toys for people to buy?
-IGN don't mean anything. You can't spell Ignorant without IGN.

Dark Pit isn't even edgy at all. He's Pit in black.

And even then, why would Geno get into Smash when he's been useless to both SE and Nintendo? It wouldn't even be right at all. Just because people want him in doesn't mean he's deserving.
-it means this game was ancestor
-yes they wouldn't exist because Mario paper was originally going to be called "super Mario RPG 2" and Mario and luigi seires was made by alphadream wich most of the worker did work at smrpg first in square soft but they leaved them so it's like banjo-kazooie turned to Yooka-laylee
-how is this not important? A 2 big companies for the first time they teamed up and they are friends now
-it's a new type of game and it's a mix between final fantasy and Mario so keep link away because he is not the same and Mario already met Mario before mk8
-yes even before the game was released and that's mean Nintendo cared more about smrpg than Mario paper and Mario and luigi RPG seires

How's geno useless if most of the SMRPG story talks about Geno he did a great job there and also alphadream are interested on using him again they already used him in MLSSS and Nintendo used geno in super Mario-kun comics you shouldn't call Geno useless because he has some copyright issue wich was the reason why he disappeared putting Geno in smash will fix the problem and will give him a future just like pit after brawl and also square Enix are not able to use Geno without Nintendo

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Someone, I think it may have been @ Johnknight1 Johnknight1 , made a mention in one of the old leak group threads of the development team actively forgoing Roy's continued development since they had limited time and felt that the other options were more interesting. I'm not sure were this information originated from, though.
Yep. @thethirdkoopa had sources with inside sources apparently, and he leaked me all kinds of stuff back then. We were among a handful of the few people who knew pre-Brawl what the 41st stage was (75M) that weren't involved in development.

Apparently Roy and Mewtwo were both cut early in development due to everything stacking up, namely the SSE (which I'll dive into later). Mewtwo was obviously cut a few months later than Roy, but both were kind of an afterthought. Actually, the characters were an afterthought. Well over 60% of development time, money, resources, and efforts were focused on the Subspace Emissary. At some points in development that's all anybody worked on.

Eventually though, the development team reached a point where the SSE was too big and too expensive to continue. It made them go over budget, but if they really wanted to do what Sakurai envisioned it would have been a huge money drop into something that quite frankly was not fun to play for more than a handful of players.

With that said, Roy and Mewtwo were likely very much liked as characters to be kept that long. It isn't even a bit surprised they're back as Smash 4 DLC.

I'm a bit fuzzy on the dates and times of stuff, but I think all of the Forbidden 7+any other characters that aren't Roy, Mewtwo, or playable in Brawl were cut within a few months of development, and Mewtwo and Roy were cut within a year. Sakurai's whole "the roster was completed except for Sonic in 2005" thing was either inaccurate or obviously a lie to hold back a few exceptions (I don't blame Sakurai for not wanting to reveal that). As we know, in addition to the Forbidden 7 the idea of Pac-Man, Miis, Villager, Takamaru, and Nintendogs as playable characters were thrown around (although we don't know if they were produced or pre-produced ideas at all, only considered).

Also, a detail worth sharing, but Mewtwo was seen as "more trouble than he was worth." He was apparently very glitchy when ported over from Melee, in part because his Melee build... was filled with technical issues. So, that's a major reason Mewtwo was cut. Had it not been for such difficulties and poor design build, they could have just reused a lot of Melee assets for Mewtwo (or easily recreated them) much like other Melee veterans in Brawl. That's a big reason why in Smash 4 Mewtwo, although using all the same moves as Melee, has completely different hitboxes and functionalities on them; because everything is different.

That's not to say Roy didn't have issues, but honestly, he was never the priority Mewtwo was. He was always seen as a "added bonus" kind of character, whether it be Melee, Brawl, or Smash 4, which is why he was held off for DLC in the latter game.
Yeah, it's generally thought that Jiggs, Tink, and Wolf were last minute additions, and that's why they don't have an active role in SSE.
I've heard this hypothesis before, but I've never heard it backed from people with inside sources. I do, however know that like 40% of the SSE was cut. We obviously know the Halberd getting stolen from Meta Knight by Dedede (who was betrayed by that evil alliance) was cut, as was I think some early Ness, Ike, etc parts. There's also many characters that just sort of happen to "be there" without any sense or reason, like Luigi, Yoshi, Ness, Ike, Ganondorf, Sonic (that was obviously put on at the end), and kinda sorta Olimar.

I have heard from people with more sources than I had that Jigglypuff was never planned to be cut, and that any such statements about her being on the cutting block are false. I think I heard Jigglypuff is where she is in the character listing (towards the end) because she was finished near the end of development. Considering all of her properties from Melee are changed (whereas some characters keep a lot of properties), this isn't surprising. She's also a very simple character to make, so holding her off for the end when you have just a few months is much more doable than say Marth.

Personal hypothesis on the situation: Wolf may or may not have been considered to be cut or even cut, but there's no data outside of the character order listing (which due to my Jigglypuff reference, makes such an argument invalid) that Toon Link was cut. There's also a chance that the completion of these 3 characters was pushed wayyyyy back for Sonic (who wasn't added until 2007; like a year within Brawl's launch). Heck, they may have been a big part of the 2 (or was it 3?) delays of Brawl was due to them not being ready.

===

Oh, and for the record, dozens of characters are considered that never make it. Literally dozens upon dozens. Of course, "considered" doesn't mean produced ala the Forbidden 7, the Ice Climbers in Smash 4, etc. Note that there's different levels of production, and different steps of game design, and that each of these categories can be very different from one another.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Yep. @thethirdkoopa had sources with inside sources apparently, and he leaked me all kinds of stuff back then. We were among a handful of the few people who knew pre-Brawl what the 41st stage was (75M) that weren't involved in development.

Apparently Roy and Mewtwo were both cut early in development due to everything stacking up, namely the SSE (which I'll dive into later). Mewtwo was obviously cut a few months later than Roy, but both were kind of an afterthought. Actually, the characters were an afterthought. Well over 60% of development time, money, resources, and efforts were focused on the Subspace Emissary. At some points in development that's all anybody worked on.

Eventually though, the development team reached a point where the SSE was too big and too expensive to continue. It made them go over budget, but if they really wanted to do what Sakurai envisioned it would have been a huge money drop into something that quite frankly was not fun to play for more than a handful of players.

With that said, Roy and Mewtwo were likely very much liked as characters to be kept that long. It isn't even a bit surprised they're back as Smash 4 DLC.

I'm a bit fuzzy on the dates and times of stuff, but I think all of the Forbidden 7+any other characters that aren't Roy, Mewtwo, or playable in Brawl were cut within a few months of development, and Mewtwo and Roy were cut within a year. Sakurai's whole "the roster was completed except for Sonic in 2005" thing was either inaccurate or obviously a lie to hold back a few exceptions (I don't blame Sakurai for not wanting to reveal that). As we know, in addition to the Forbidden 7 the idea of Pac-Man, Miis, Villager, Takamaru, and Nintendogs as playable characters were thrown around (although we don't know if they were produced or pre-produced ideas at all, only considered).

Also, a detail worth sharing, but Mewtwo was seen as "more trouble than he was worth." He was apparently very glitchy when ported over from Melee, in part because his Melee build... was filled with technical issues. So, that's a major reason Mewtwo was cut. Had it not been for such difficulties and poor design build, they could have just reused a lot of Melee assets for Mewtwo (or easily recreated them) much like other Melee veterans in Brawl. That's a big reason why in Smash 4 Mewtwo, although using all the same moves as Melee, has completely different hitboxes and functionalities on them; because everything is different.

That's not to say Roy didn't have issues, but honestly, he was never the priority Mewtwo was. He was always seen as a "added bonus" kind of character, whether it be Melee, Brawl, or Smash 4, which is why he was held off for DLC in the latter game.

I've heard this hypothesis before, but I've never heard it backed from people with inside sources. I do, however know that like 40% of the SSE was cut. We obviously know the Halberd getting stolen from Meta Knight by Dedede (who was betrayed by that evil alliance) was cut, as was I think some early Ness, Ike, etc parts. There's also many characters that just sort of happen to "be there" without any sense or reason, like Luigi, Yoshi, Ness, Ike, Ganondorf, Sonic (that was obviously put on at the end), and kinda sorta Olimar.

I have heard from people with more sources than I had that Jigglypuff was never planned to be cut, and that any such statements about her being on the cutting block are false. I think I heard Jigglypuff is where she is in the character listing (towards the end) because she was finished near the end of development. Considering all of her properties from Melee are changed (whereas some characters keep a lot of properties), this isn't surprising. She's also a very simple character to make, so holding her off for the end when you have just a few months is much more doable than say Marth.

Personal hypothesis on the situation: Wolf may or may not have been considered to be cut or even cut, but there's no data outside of the character order listing (which due to my Jigglypuff reference, makes such an argument invalid) that Toon Link was cut. There's also a chance that the completion of these 3 characters was pushed wayyyyy back for Sonic (who wasn't added until 2007; like a year within Brawl's launch). Heck, they may have been a big part of the 2 (or was it 3?) delays of Brawl was due to them not being ready.

===

Oh, and for the record, dozens of characters are considered that never make it. Literally dozens upon dozens. Of course, "considered" doesn't mean produced ala the Forbidden 7, the Ice Climbers in Smash 4, etc. Note that there's different levels of production, and different steps of game design, and that each of these categories can be very different from one another.
Great read! I wonder if Roy's Sm4sh moveset would have been his Brawl moveset. Like, was he luigified then or was it more recent. We'll never know.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
-it means this game was ancestor
-yes they wouldn't exist because Mario paper was originally going to be called "super Mario RPG 2" and Mario and luigi seires was made by alphadream wich most of the worker did work at smrpg first in square soft but they leaved them so it's like banjo-kazooie turned to Yooka-laylee
-how is this not important? A 2 big companies for the first time they teamed up and they are friends now
-it's a new type of game and it's a mix between final fantasy and Mario so keep link away because he is not the same and Mario already met Mario before mk8
-yes even before the game was released and that's mean Nintendo cared more about smrpg than Mario paper and Mario and luigi RPG seires

How's geno useless if most of the SMRPG story talks about Geno he did a great job there and also alphadream are interested on using him again they already used him in MLSSS and Nintendo used geno in super Mario-kun comics you shouldn't call Geno useless because he has some copyright issue wich was the reason why he disappeared putting Geno in smash will fix the problem and will give him a future just like pit after brawl and also square Enix are not able to use Geno without Nintendo
Square doesn't want to use Geno.

They proved that by not using him in the three Mario games they made since SMRPG.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Square doesn't want to use Geno.

They proved that by not using him in the three Mario games they made since SMRPG.
That's not really square Enix problem they can't put him in a final fantasy game or other square enix franchise because he is a Mario character

You mean sports games and puzzle games? This won't be a good way to bring him back after 10 years the good way bringing him back is by putting him in huge game for example nobody would like to have crono back in a sport game over a huge game after 20 years of disappearing

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750

===

I just started working on translating Sakurai's column on the Subspace Emissary. From my first read through of it, it does sound like SSE took up a HUGE portion of Brawl's development time. Sakurai stated that originally another company was going to be in charge of developing Subspace Emissary, but they couldn't find anyone. Furthermore, Sakurai actually video taped himself for portions of the SSE (he explicitly says Ganondorf's movement in the climax scene) so the team could reproduce the exact movements he envisioned. So being overtly ambitious with SSE, which caused issues with Brawl's development is something I can totally imagine.

If you or @thethirdkoopa could verify your/his inside sources with my privately, I can updated the Definitive Unused Character List with this information. I may have additional questions for you guys in the future, as I'm trying to gather as much information as possible from each of the development cycles.

Also, that would make sense for Jigglypuff.

Also, here's what he says about characters being decided in 2005, translated by me. It's from his GDC speech in 2008. I may edit it before posting it on my blog, but the meaning is accurate.

Smash is blessed to include many characters from a variety of famous titles. All the characters were decided by July 7th, 2005, but during development some of the characters were cut. Even though some were cut, I’ve plan to include as much as I can. In addition, it was decided to add Sonic in 2007, as the sole exception to the project plan.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Then why not sell the rights to both Geno and Mallow to Nintendo?
That would require caring about Geno enough to do so. Nintendo doesn't care about Geno. Square Enix doesn't care about Geno. People just need to let it go already. The characters are pretty much dead.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
They will be on the nx. :p
Maybe.

I just find it weird that they have a virtual console plan for every one of their previous systems BUT the Gamecube. That's just weird to me, especially since the Wii U is still backwards compatible with the Wii (but I won't complain about an affordable copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy).

D

Deleted member

That would require caring about Geno enough to do so. Nintendo doesn't care about Geno. Square Enix doesn't care about Geno. People just need to let it go already. The characters are pretty much dead.
I have to agree with you. It's time to move on.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Alphadream cares about Geno they said they can bring Geno for the fans and they would like to revisit SMRPG in the future they didn't have any problem on using him in MLSSS

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
The problem is, Geno isn't a name that's going to sell games. If Nintendo don't attempt to buy popular IPs like Banjo-Kazooie and Conker who are part of the canon Mario universe then they aren't going to worry about buying Geno.

Last edited:
Sakurai actually video taped himself for . . .Ganondorf's movement
So what your saying is Sakurai pretended to be the King of Evil? No wonder there is so much stress in the fanbase.

I also really want Nintendo to step up their VC. I missed so many games because I was a Sony/Microsoft kid for years.
Sin and Punisment Fzero GX etc.

at least I got DK64 which Ihave wanted to play for years

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Great read! I wonder if Roy's Sm4sh moveset would have been his Brawl moveset. Like, was he luigified then or was it more recent. We'll never know.
I imagine he'd be less of a clone in Brawl than he was in Melee, but obviously not quite to the extent in Smash 4.

Honestly Roy and Mewtwo felt like the only truly "Missing" characters in Brawl. If we had them, that roster would feel more "complete." Project M 3.0/3.5 has a certain "completeness" to it by having them that makes the roster feel truly special. (Smash 4 is a different case, because it's a different era)

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
New avatar. I'm in the mood to express my love of the buffyverse at the moment. I may change it back to Banjo at some point.
RIP Doyle. I would have loved to have seen that character develop more. It's a shame (and incredibly sad) that Glen Quinn passed away as such a young age.

gamecube when
The NX will likely be powerful enough to run GC games through software emulation. I think a big reason that they have not implemented GC in the VC yet are the lack of analogue shoulder triggers on the Wii U. Sure, they could require you to use the Gamecube adapter, but Nintendo seems hesitant to make those compatible with anything that isn't Smash Bros.

Also, Ukyo is indeed the best fiancee.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

===

This still goes in my belief that SSE was a bigger development problem than 3DS for any Smash game. We can joke and say "SSE was a mistake" but that mode held Brawl back so hard and it was mostly played only once to unlock all the characters. SSE hurt Brawl more than it helped. Atleast Smash Tour didn't take up 65% of the development time.

Plus all the missing characters of :mewtwopm:&:roypm: and others from the forbidden 7 hurt some fans.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The problem is, Geno isn't a name that's going to sell games. If Nintendo don't attempt to buy popular IPs like Banjo-Kazooie and Conker who are part of the canon Mario universe then they aren't going to worry about buying Geno.
Geno and Mallow don't have value, but the "Super Mario RPG" series does. If they got that going as a third Mario RPG series, possibly with a game made by Monolith Soft, they could make a killing off such a venture. That SNES era nostalgia really pays off. EarthBound and EarthBound Beginnings' sales show us that, as does the continued sales of various Street Fighter II, Final Fantasy IV, and Chrono Trigger re-releases across a lot of gaming platforms.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Alphadream cares about Geno they said they can bring Geno for the fans and they would like to revisit SMRPG in the future they didn't have any problem on using him in MLSSS
Which means nothing if they can't get the right to buys him. And they aren't going to be able to buy him without Nintendo(since they are owned by Nintendo) and Square Enix's permissions. And those two don't give a rat's ass about him and have zero reason to.

It's fine you want to see him revived. But don't act like it has a remote chance of happening. See the guy in my sig? I don't think for one second Quest 64 will ever get revived officially beyond fan ideas. There's literally no reason to because the series sold badly, and the games are vastly unpopular and have almost zero importance to Nintendo's history. Literally all the first one did was pave the way for RPG's to be on the 64 at best. And I'm not so sure that has relevance either.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
You mean sports games and puzzle games? This won't be a good way to bring him back after 10 years the good way bringing him back is by putting him in huge game for example nobody would like to have crono back in a sport game over a huge game after 20 years of disappearing
But bringing him back in a fighting game would be?

Smash has a much bigger fanbase than games like Fortune Street and the Mario sports titles, but at the end of the day, it's a spinoff just like they are. Just a higher profile one.

I don't get the logic behind your belief that Geno returning in Smash would mean he'd be back in the Mario series as a whole, either. The comparisons to Kid Icarus are ludicrous. Kid Icarus is an IP owned by Nintendo. They don't have to go and get permission from another company to make Kid Icarus games. In order for Geno to make a full return to the Mario series, they'd either have to buy the rights to him from Square or ask permission every single time they want to use him.

Geno and Mallow don't have value, but the "Super Mario RPG" series does. If they got that going as a third Mario RPG series, possibly with a game made by Monolith Soft, they could make a killing off such a venture. That SNES era nostalgia really pays off. EarthBound and EarthBound Beginnings' sales show us that, as does the continued sales of various Street Fighter II, Final Fantasy IV, and Chrono Trigger re-releases across a lot of gaming platforms.
They have two separate Mario RPG franchises running right now. Adding a third would be the epitome of redundant.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I just started working on translating Sakurai's column on the Subspace Emissary. From my first read through of it, it does sound like SSE took up a HUGE portion of Brawl's development time. Sakurai stated that originally another company was going to be in charge of developing Subspace Emissary, but they couldn't find anyone. Furthermore, Sakurai actually video taped himself for portions of the SSE (he explicitly says Ganondorf's movement in the climax scene) so the team could reproduce the exact movements he envisioned. So being overtly ambitious with SSE, which caused issues with Brawl's development is something I can totally imagine.

If you or @thethirdkoopa could verify your/his inside sources with my privately, I can updated the Definitive Unused Character List with this information. I may have additional questions for you guys in the future, as I'm trying to gather as much information as possible from each of the development cycles.
Yeah, the SSE was really a huge time dump. I imagine the studio originally tapped may have been none other than Monolith Soft. Monolith Soft did help with development quite a lot, but I imagine Xenoblade Chronicles development (especially once pre-production finished) got in that way. That game was in pre-development for a year or so (starting in 2005 and ending in 2006/early 2007), and it really ramped up around the time Brawl's development really began to kick up (late 2006/2007).

As for the use of stuff, you'd be better off asking Third K. I know all the stuff off of him secondhand.

Also worth mentioning is he is:
1. An actual indie game dev.
2. Knows people with Nintendo connections.
3. Knows things.

He legit told me (and a lot of other people) earlier this year that EarthBound sales on Wii U impressed Nintendo and that MOTHER 3 could launch as soon as within a year and as late as the next 2-4 years. He also told me he'd bet Lucas would be the next DLC character (after Mewtwo). What do you you know, he was right. We got EarthBound Beginnings (MOTHER 1) and Lucas, and we're probably gonna get MOTHER 3 within the next calendar year.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Aren't the Mario and Luigi RPG games a pseudo-continuation of Super Mario RPG? Between that and Paper Mario, a 3rd RPG series starring Mario could clutter the market.

Even if they were to start continuing the Super Mario RPG franchise then Geno wouldn't exactly be necessary to do it would he?

RIP Doyle. I would have loved to have seen that character develop more. It's a shame (and incredibly sad) that Glen Quinn passed away as such a young age.
I'll never forgive Joss for killing Doyle off, especially so soon :(. Glenn's real life death is also very tragic, he was great in Roseanne too.

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
Yeah, the SSE was really a huge time dump. I imagine the studio originally tapped may have been none other than Monolith Soft. Monolith Soft did help with development quite a lot, but I imagine Xenoblade Chronicles development (especially once pre-production finished) got in that way. That game was in pre-development for a year or so (starting in 2005 and ending in 2006/early 2007), and it really ramped up around the time Brawl's development really began to kick up (late 2006/2007).

As for the use of stuff, you'd be better off asking Third K. I know all the stuff off of him secondhand.

3. Knows things.

He legit told me (and a lot of other people) earlier this year that EarthBound sales on Wii U impressed Nintendo and that MOTHER 3 could launch as soon as within a year and as late as the next 2-4 years. He also told me he'd bet Lucas would be the next DLC character (after Mewtwo). What do you you know, he was right. We got EarthBound Beginnings (MOTHER 1) and Lucas, and we're probably gonna get MOTHER 3 within the next calendar year.
I would be happy with this. Quite happy actually.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
This still goes in my belief that SSE was a bigger development problem than 3DS for any Smash game. We can joke and say "SSE was a mistake" but that mode held Brawl back so hard and it was mostly played only once to unlock all the characters. SSE hurt Brawl more than it helped. Atleast Smash Tour didn't take up 65% of the development time.
Agreed that it hurt, but I don't know if it's worse than the 3DS/Wii U co-development. In fact I would say it isn't. The amount of work it takes to make two games on two consoles with two insanely different sets of hardware and hardware capabilities function entirely the same (with a few exceptions) is maddening. It'd be easier just to make 2 entirely different games than to do that. This is compounded by the fact trophies had to be made multiple times in many cases, and there are entirely separate game modes in both of them.

If the Smash devs had just released Smash 3DS as "Smash IV" and Smash Wii U as "Smash V" and they were only slightly and naturally different with more shared game modes, then we'd probably see a ton more content for both games, which is odd to think about, but definitively the truth.
Plus all the missing characters of :mewtwopm:&:roypm: and others from the forbidden 7 hurt some fans.
Oh trusttttttttttttttttttttttt me, it would go deeper than that. There would have been way more characters considered. There were so many characters thrown around nobody can remember them all. Dozens upon dozens considered, and a handful more would have wound up on the playable roster, likely including Little Mac, Villager, and Dr. Mario. I imagine it may be much bigger and much more elaborate in Smash 4, especially with the DLC characters. I mean, how else would they draw up a character choice like "the Wii Fit Trainer"=???

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
60% of development was focused onto SSE?! Were they out of their damned minds? I always knew that mode somehow held the parts of the game back. SSE was not worth it, especially for a multiplayer centric title. It was such a bland mode with nothing interesting going on other than the cutscenes. But even if it wasn't, that was such a bad decision. It's a mode people will play once and not immediately play again, especially when the core of Smash is multiplayer. I am all for great single player experience (which is still important to me), but a lot of that could have been spent on the multiplayer component.

Admittedly, Brawl would still have a ton of issues from deliberate design decisions.

Maybe.

I just find it weird that they have a virtual console plan for every one of their previous systems BUT the Gamecube. That's just weird to me, especially since the Wii U is still backwards compatible with the Wii (but I won't complain about an affordable copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy).
Being a bit nitpicky here, but I don't think the Wii is labeled as the Virtual Console. Correct me if I'm wrong. VC is pretty much software emulation from NES to N64, while Wii games was using Wii Mode.

We might get the Gamecube games in the same vain as the Wii, but the obstacles I'm aware of is Nintendo implementing digital memory cards and getting non-GC controllers to work with the games. I think all of that is very possible though, especially the latter seeing as how they've made The Last Story compatible with the Gamepad and Pro Controller (or so I was told).

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
They have two separate Mario RPG franchises running right now. Adding a third would be the epitome of redundant.
The Super Mario RPG brand name isn't redundant, and would draw fans that don't play those other two series.

Also, you say they run "2 series already," but we're getting a new game from the Paper Mario series at a pace of about a game a half decade, and for Mario & Luigi at a similar (albeit more frequent) rate There's certainly room for a lot more than that. If in a 5 year cycle we get say 2.5 Mario RPG games on average + a Mario RPG game, all made by 3 different studios with 3 different distinct styles, that is far from over-saturation, especially if the product remains good (which the Mario RPG product always has been, Sticker Star aside).

This whole "once every console generation cycle" is why and how Nintendo is able to have so many Mario sports spin-off games, yet they still sell, remain relevant, and don't get over-saturated like Guitar Hero did and Call of Duty is doing (even though the latter has improved vastly) in the marketplace.

Nintendo can also more easily alleviate this since they develop games on two different systems at once. Currently the Mario & Luigi series and the Paper Mario series are riding on the handhelds, so moving over Super Mario RPG to the home consoles would be an easy translation that wouldn't hurt any of those series' sales.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627

3. Knows things.

I hope they introduced Mother 1 as EarthBound Beginnings so Mother 3 could be EarthBound Finale or EarthBound Ending, or something like that. I can't wait to play Mother 3. I hope Third K is right.

Soul.

If they got rid of SSE, they could have focused te extra development time on fixing Brawl's flaws. Like.... never think of adding tripping.

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin

3. Knows things.

So does he know about any other insider information from Nintendo?
:troll:

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Aren't the Mario and Luigi RPG games a pseudo-continuation of Super Mario RPG? Between that and Paper Mario, a 3rd RPG series starring Mario could clutter the market.

Even if they were to start continuing the Super Mario RPG franchise then Geno wouldn't exactly be necessary to do it would he?
Paper Mario is the technical pseudo-continuation of the Super Mario RPG (specifically in regard to the story; they went from wish upon the stars in Super Mario RPG to the power of the stars in the original Paper Mario), but gameplay-wise Mario & Luigi is indeed closer to the gameplay of it.

As for Geno, he wouldn't be necessary at all, but would be a nice bonus. If Nintendo bought the rights to the series though, Geno, Mallow, and all the Super Mario RPG-original characters and music would be owned by Nintendo. So, if such a buyout were to happen, Geno would definitely and definitively reappear again.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

I'll never forgive Joss for killing Doyle off, especially so soon :(. Glenn's real life death is also very tragic, he was great in Roseanne too.
Doyle was written off because of Quinn's real life drug problems, though. From my understanding Joss didn't want to see the character go.

I was also really close to making a Becky's boyfriend joke.

Also, just to add my opinion to everyone else's, a third Mario RPG branding would be a bit ridiculous. If Nintendo ever did acquire the Mario RPG assets I think it would be more natural for them to roll them into the Mario & Luigi franchise.

Also, speaking of SNES nostalgia, I am still all about a Chrono Trigger remake. Bank roll that Nintendo, and get Monolithsoft to help!

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035

I doubt that. I think M&L games were more of its own thing.

Also I'll never forgive Joss for killing Firefly.

Agreed that it hurt, but I don't know if it's worse than the 3DS/Wii U co-development. In fact I would say it isn't. The amount of work it takes to make two games on two consoles with two insanely different sets of hardware and hardware capabilities function entirely the same (with a few exceptions) is maddening. It'd be easier just to make 2 entirely different games than to do that. This is compounded by the fact trophies had to be made multiple times in many cases, and there are entirely separate game modes in both of them.

If the Smash devs had just released Smash 3DS as "Smash IV" and Smash Wii U as "Smash V" and they were only slightly and naturally different with more shared game modes, then we'd probably see a ton more content for both games, which is odd to think about, but definitively the truth.

Oh trusttttttttttttttttttttttt me, it would go deeper than that. There would have been way more characters considered. There were so many characters thrown around nobody can remember them all. Dozens upon dozens considered, and a handful more would have wound up on the playable roster, likely including Little Mac, Villager, and Dr. Mario. I imagine it may be much bigger and much more elaborate in Smash 4, especially with the DLC characters. I mean, how else would they draw up a character choice like "the Wii Fit Trainer"=???
3DS at most hurt the Ice Climbers and extra game modes. SSE killed more than 7 characters, took up more development time, hurt the gameplay a bit (maybe I'm exaggerating here) and probably did more for content in stages, music and even more game modes.

3DS/Wii U were developed at the same time and had the same structure together. From characters, music, balance, stages (for the most part) and other content. Plus they gave us trailers as an alternative for SSE cutscenes.

Plus the gameplay wasn't stiffed to market to an audience and slowed it down.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Nintendo can also more easily alleviate this since they develop games on two different systems at once. Currently the Mario & Luigi series and the Paper Mario series are riding on the handhelds, so moving over Super Mario RPG to the home consoles would be an easy translation that wouldn't hurt any of those series' sales.
Or they could just, y'know, make a console Paper Mario game.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I'm a developer. Not a game developer (yet, hopefully), but a developer nonetheless. I can say from experience from an application planning standpoint, and I expect in many other mediums as well (if not almost everything), the first thing you do is throw out as many ideas as you possibly can, super crazy and ridiculous, outlandish ones included, in order to get things on the table. Then you filter through that to find the best ones.

In just making my own fan roster, I looked through character after character and game after game just trying to think about what the best options would be. It would be shocking, especially knowing how detail orientated Sakurai is and how much he likes to push the limits of what he makes, if they didn't do that with each version. I wouldn't even be surprised if he looked at the same old list of said dozens and dozens of characters for this game.

His criteria and themes for the roster are what have changed with each iteration. With Melee, he had specific ones such as a "NES rep." Brawl seemed to be filling out existing series with their other primary characters, and Smash 4 was "non-fighter fighters" and unique/gimmick based movesets.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom