• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Maybe.

I just find it weird that they have a virtual console plan for every one of their previous systems BUT the Gamecube. That's just weird to me, especially since the Wii U is still backwards compatible with the Wii (but I won't complain about an affordable copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy).
Well, if they do bring it, I hope they let me use the gamepad. I own the MP Trilogy on wii u, and am pretty sad that I can't use the gamepad. Not in the mood for wiimote and nunchuck.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
I like how so many people seem to hate SSE for the very reason I love it; vanilla Brawl as a multiplayer game is my least favorite in the series easily (64 and SSB4 being my favorites for entirely differing reasons), competitive or otherwise, but it's the only one I go back to for the single-player experience again and again.

I can't imagine how much more sour a taste Brawl would have left for me if SSE had been cut in favor of more time spent on a multiplayer based on (IMO) inferior mechanics to those of the other entries. (Well, the hacking scene would have probably redeemed it either way, but still.)

Last edited:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
60% of development was focused onto SSE?! Were they out of their damned minds? I always knew that mode somehow held the parts of the game back. SSE was not worth it, especially for a multiplayer centric title. It was such a bland mode with nothing interesting going on other than the cutscenes. But even if it wasn't, that was such a bad decision. It's a mode people will play once and not immediately play again, especially when the core of Smash is multiplayer. I am all for great single player experience (which is still important to me), but a lot of that could have been spent on the multiplayer component.
Admittedly, Brawl would still have a ton of issues from deliberate design decisions.
A lot of those "deliberate design decisions" were made due to a lack of time because everything revolved around the SSE. Many shortcuts were taken in the gameplay department, which is why Brawl has so many issues and glitches, from planking, to stalling being so good, to numerous infinite combos, to the ledge getup after-lag glitch. Overall though the SSE's scope was a mistake, and one that shouldn't be repeated. Sadly the dual-same-game nonsense of Smash 4 seemed to be a repeat of it, but hopefully that's the last of that.

For Brawl's development though, Sakurai not just ordered the SSE be the near sole focus of the game, he had his hand on everything and went crazy essentially. He was basically doing art for the last year, a field which he has no experience in. This all happen because Sakurai had no parameters of his control and wasn't used to it. At HAL he had parameters, but with basically a militia of crew with him as the sole guy in charge he could do anything or order anything.

Objectively speaking Sakurai didn't know what he was dealing with when he had total power and a new studio, which probably lead him in Smash 4 to divide power up more evenly. Either he realized he had no understanding over such things and that he didn't deserve authority over it, or some higher ups at Nintendo did, and forced him to have less power over such things.

Soul.

The 3DS version may get all the hate for all I care; I'm just glad we got a handheld Smash.
It worked. Now I hope it's here to stay. Hate sucks.

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I think EarthBound 2 will likely be the title name for Mother 3 personally. Mother 1 was actually just called "EarthBound" before its localization's cancellation. When we got Mother 2, it ended up being "EarthBound". So naturally, they would have to "rename" the NES title to something else when they've recently released it. So with that in mind, it doesn't say much for Mother 3's naming.

Not to mention, they've actually made a reference to Mother 3 in a Fourside sign in EarthBound (SNES). It said something along the lines of "Planning meeting board for EarthBound 2" (in Japan its referred to as Mother 3 obviously). I would not be surprised if this will still be the title for Mother 3 if it ever gets localized here.

Of course there is still a possibility they will follow it up with EarthBound Finale or something. But I personally feel EarthBound 2 feels more likely.

A lot of those "deliberate design decisions" were made due to a lack of time because everything revolved around the SSE. Many shortcuts were taken in the gameplay department, which is why Brawl has so many issues and glitches, from planking, to stalling being so good, to numerous infinite combos, to the ledge getup after-lag glitch. Overall though the SSE's scope was a mistake, and one that shouldn't be repeated. Sadly the dual-same-game nonsense of Smash 4 seemed to be a repeat of it, but hopefully that's the last of that.

For Brawl's development though, Sakurai not just ordered the SSE be the near sole focus of the game, he had his hand on everything and went crazy essentially. He was basically doing art for the last year, a field which he has no experience in. This all happen because Sakurai had no parameters of his control and wasn't used to it. At HAL he had parameters, but with basically a militia of crew with him as the sole guy in charge he could do anything or order anything.

Objectively speaking Sakurai didn't know what he was dealing with when he had total power and a new studio, which probably lead him in Smash 4 to divide power up more evenly. Either he realized he had no understanding over such things and that he didn't deserve authority over it, or some higher ups at Nintendo did, and forced him to have less power over such things.
Ah, I was actually referring to stuff like tripping and the slow down gameplay which made the game feel rather a bore after a while for some people. But you have a point for the stuff you've mentioned regardless, so I totally agree with you.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
3DS at most hurt the Ice Climbers and extra game modes. SSE killed more than 7 characters, took up more development time, hurt the gameplay a bit (maybe I'm exaggerating here) and probably did more for content in stages, music and even more game modes.

3DS/Wii U were developed at the same time and had the same structure together. From characters, music, balance, stages (for the most part) and other content. Plus they gave us trailers as an alternative for SSE cutscenes.

Plus the gameplay wasn't stiffed to market to an audience and slowed it down.
To make the 3DS and Wii U versions the same, you have to work entirely different consoles entirely different ways. It literally was 3 times plus more of the work to make than if you made just one or the other. It was more work if you made them with separate engines, because everything works differently on both consoles. What the programmers did and went through with this game was sheer and utter programming hell, the likes of which the world shouldn't know of.

This isn't me speaking out of my butt either, but things the actual developers actually went through. Think of it like trying to find a math solution that equals 3. You do one equation by division that must involved a 6, and another that's subtraction that involved a 28. That takes a lot more work than just doing 1+2. Now tell me, what would be quicker: doing ten thousand scenarios like the former situation or the latter?

That's the daily grind these developers went through.

Like I said earlier, if the games were developed separately with separate programming for the gameplay and some of the character design both games would have been easier to make with more content. Everyone and everything would have been better off.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627

Do you think that's why Namco Bandai helped make this one? For more direction?

Naoshi

To make the 3DS and Wii U versions the same, you have to work entirely different consoles entirely different ways. It literally was 3 times plus more of the work to make than if you made just one or the other. It was more work if you made them with separate engines, because everything works differently on both consoles. What the programmers did and went through with this game was sheer and utter programming hell, the likes of which the world shouldn't know of.

This isn't me speaking out of my butt either, but things the actual developers actually went through. Think of it like trying to find a math solution that equals 3. You do one equation by division that must involved a 6, and another that's subtraction that involved a 28. That takes a lot more work than just doing 1+2. Now tell me, what would be quicker: doing ten thousand scenarios like the former situation or the latter?

That's the daily grind these developers went through.

Like I said earlier, if the games were developed separately with separate programming for the gameplay and some of the character design both games would have been easier to make with more content. Everyone and everything would have been better off.
Yikes.

That sounds absolutely brutal. I wonder if this was what partly inspired Iwata to come up with shared architecture for the next console/handheld generation? That is something that could have benefited the Smash Bros development team in a long run.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I hope they introduced Mother 1 as EarthBound Beginnings so Mother 3 could be EarthBound Finale or EarthBound Ending, or something like that. I can't wait to play Mother 3. I hope Third K is right.
After the high sales of EarthBound and EarthBound Beginnings just becoming the top selling Wii U eShop game (topping Splatoon), I can't see a scenario where MOTHER 3 doesn't come out on the Wii U and/or 3DS. I just can't. The EarthBound franchise as of late has made Nintendo quite a lot of money for such a cheap investment.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
I know this is kind of doesn't relate to the current topic being discussed but I always laugh when there were people saying Iwata should resign as the president of Nintendo. I mainly laugh because he is someone most game developers would want at the top since he is a game designer himself.

It also reminds how Phil Spencer's first few years as head of this Xbox division was effectively damage control to get the Xbox brand to have some values to gamers again. All because the previous heads of the Xbox division didn't really understand much about gaming.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Doyle was written off because of Quinn's real life drug problems, though. From my understanding Joss didn't want to see the character go.

I was also really close to making a Becky's boyfriend joke.

Also, just to add my opinion to everyone else's, a third Mario RPG branding would be a bit ridiculous. If Nintendo ever did acquire the Mario RPG assets I think it would be more natural for them to roll them into the Mario & Luigi franchise.

Also, speaking of SNES nostalgia, I am still all about a Chrono Trigger remake. Bank roll that Nintendo, and get Monolithsoft to help!
I've heard many different reasons as to why Joss killed off Doyle. They range from:
- He was written in solely to be killed off quickly.
- He found it too difficult to write for him and Angel at the same time. They were becoming quite similar in personality etc.
- Drug problems.

It's probably the first one. That's what Joss says at least. He had wanted to originally add Jesse to the credits of the first Buffy episode just to kill him off and surprise the viewers by killing off what was seemingly an important character very quickly. He did this with Tara also (her death episode was the first episode where she was added to the credits). He was kind of a foil just to give Cordy the visions, but he ended up becoming extremely popular with fans.
David Boreanaz on the other hand has said it's the second one.
I think the third one only reared up after he died.

He also said there were plans to bring him back in Season 5 as the big bad but he died.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Also, speaking of SNES nostalgia, I am still all about a Chrono Trigger remake. Bank roll that Nintendo, and get Monolithsoft to help!
Leaks were going around at and before E3 about Square Enix making "Chrono Trigger 2," including in many leaks that had a new Paper Mario, a Final Fantasy VII remake, The Last Guardian, and Shenmue 3.

I think it's probably gonna happen in the next 2 years... finally.

A lot of game developers I know have heard it tossed around from people they know, and they also kept mentioning a Final Fantasy VII remake (and one or two of them Shenmue 3, which is freaking the Jesus resurrection of video game franchise revivals).

Last edited:

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
After the high sales of EarthBound and EarthBound Beginnings just becoming the top selling Wii U eShop game (topping Splatoon), I can't see a scenario where MOTHER 3 doesn't come out on the Wii U and/or 3DS. I just can't. The EarthBound franchise as of late has made Nintendo quite a lot of money for such a cheap investment.
The difference being both of those games already had translations to work off of, and the releases we got were basically unchanged from those. That being said, I sincerely hope (and would like to think) you're right.

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Well, at least Nintendo responded to the hate Blastball and Amiibo are getting.
(http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...d_prime_federation_force_and_amiibo_criticism).
Responses in Spoiler:
Blastball:
Here's what I would state: we know what our fans want. We will also push the envelope in developing something that we know is high-quality and that we know will deliver in the marketplace. The best example I can give you of this, and I think you will appreciate it, is Legend of Zelda Wind Waker. Remember when that art style was first shown. The uproar from the Zelda community was intensely negative. If there had been social media then, there probably would have been a petition to make that game go away.

...So, the game is developed, becomes one of the most beloved games of all time, one of the most highly-rated games of all time, so I use that example to say: 'We know what we're doing, trust us, play the game and then we can have a conversation.

Look, we know that the fans want a straight Samus Aran game. We also know that the best way to launch a game like that is to surprise and delight them, to give them a launch date, in an environment like this let them play it vs. what other companies do which is to announce a project that you may not see for five, six years. It's just not the way we do things. We know the community wants to see a straight-up Metroid game. We know it.
Amiibos:
You don't sell through a million units by constraining supply. And, honestly, there is no business in disappointing your consumer. The mentality that suggests we are somehow constricting supply is rubbish. We want every consumer to be satisfied. We want every Amiibo player out there to be a completionist and have every single one. We're working hard to get the supply into stores.
...The flipper, you have to put them off to the side. This is a consumer who thinks these are like gold. We're focused on the everyday consumer, and we want that consumer to be completely satisifed. In the end, though, the retailer manages how they execute a pre-sale or how they make the product available. We certainly give suggestions and guidance. The retailer is making that call. And, again, to separate, when there's a supply issue, that's Nintendo's fault. but in terms of managing a pre-sale process, that's something that each individual retailer controls.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Ah, I was actually referring to stuff like tripping and the slow down gameplay which made the game feel rather a bore after a while for some people. But you have a point for the stuff you've mentioned regardless, so I totally agree with you.
I've never actually heard of any rumors or anything as to who invented or came up with or authorized random tripping. It just seems so... random. As for the slowed down gameplay, the game speed is one thing, but the pacing of the attacking and whatnot would have likely been fixed with more time spent on developing the gameplay. Honestly a huge problem with Brawl is they experimented more than they did with 64 or Melee with nowhere near the time or the staff dedicated to strictly the gameplay.

Sometimes literally just screwing around in development is needed to come up with new ideas, and that, brain storming, and formal super hardcore testing were firmly missing in Brawl. It's actually amazing Brawl doesn't have more issues, since most of the bug checkers were literally temps at HAL Laboratories that HAL pawned out to Sakurai (because their actual employees don't want to work that since, according to what I'm told, it's among the most boring job in gaming).

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Which means nothing if they can't get the right to buys him. And they aren't going to be able to buy him without Nintendo(since they are owned by Nintendo) and Square Enix's permissions. And those two don't give a rat's *** about him and have zero reason to.

It's fine you want to see him revived. But don't act like it has a remote chance of happening. See the guy in my sig? I don't think for one second Quest 64 will ever get revived officially beyond fan ideas. There's literally no reason to because the series sold badly, and the games are vastly unpopular and have almost zero importance to Nintendo's history. Literally all the first one did was pave the way for RPG's to be on the 64 at best. And I'm not so sure that has relevance either.
Alphadream doesnt need to buy them they just need to ask to use them alphadream are part of both square and Nintendo they used to work in square before they created their own company (most of them worked on making SMRPG) then they work now with Nintendo, and they are able to use Geno just like they did in MLSSS so there isn't any problem
But bringing him back in a fighting game would be?

Smash has a much bigger fanbase than games like Fortune Street and the Mario sports titles, but at the end of the day, it's a spinoff just like they are. Just a higher profile one.

I don't get the logic behind your belief that Geno returning in Smash would mean he'd be back in the Mario series as a whole, either. The comparisons to Kid Icarus are ludicrous. Kid Icarus is an IP owned by Nintendo. They don't have to go and get permission from another company to make Kid Icarus games. In order for Geno to make a full return to the Mario series, they'd either have to buy the rights to him from Square or ask permission every single time they want to use him.

They have two separate Mario RPG franchises running right now. Adding a third would be the epitome of redundant.
Yes it would because it's a huge game

One word "amiibo" this can be one of the ways of having him appear in a lot of games look at sonic and pac-man and Megaman they are appearing in a lot of Nintendo games because of amiibo, also it can make Nintendo more interested on using Geno in Mario games square wouldn't have a problem on letting Nintendo use Geno if they added him in smash because let's be honest square Enix can't make anything with Geno his parts is mostly from Nintendo

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Leaks were going around at and before E3 about Square Enix making "Chrono Trigger 2," including in many leaks that had a new Paper Mario, a Final Fantasy VII remake, The Last Guardian, and Shenmue 3.

I think it's probably gonna happen in the next 2 years... finally.

A lot of game developers I know have heard it tossed around from people they know, and they also kept mentioning a Final Fantasy VII remake (and one or two of them Shenmue 3, which is freaking the Jesus resurrection of video game franchise revivals).
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, it it likely that a big reason that nothing has been done with the franchise in decades is that the majority of the staff that worked on Chrono Trigger (and Chrono Cross) are not available for the project. A large number of them left the company and formed Monolithsoft, and the rest of the key figures have been stuck in a perpetual loop of work on the SE MMORPGS (FF XI and XIV in particular.)

It will be interesting to see what happens.... if Nintendo was smart, they would help in developing or bank rolling such a game for NX launch. They need all the gamer good will they can get.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
The difference being both of those games already had translations to work off of, and the releases we got were basically unchanged from those. That being said, I sincerely hope (and would like to think) you're right.
I know Third K talked to someone at Nintendo about it, and they said it was an idea they were throwing around. I think this was a few months after EarthBound launched on Wii U. I'm sure it would be an easy game to translate, especially since it was already done... by a professional (Mato, the MOTHER 3 translator works for Funamation for their translation department), and plus they do have the dev codes and all that.

Considering they didn't run into licensing issues with EarthBound Beginnings and EarthBounds when both games blatantly rips off Johnny B. Goode in the hippie battle theme in EarthBound Beginnings and EarthBound, MOTHER 3 licensing should be a breeze.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
Alphadream doesnt need to buy them they just need to ask to use them alphadream are part of both square and Nintendo they used to work in square before they created their own company (most of them worked on making SMRPG) then they work now with Nintendo, and they are able to use Geno just like they did in MLSSS so there isn't any problem

Yes it would because it's a huge game

One word "amiibo" this can be one of the ways of having him appear in a lot of games look at sonic and pac-man and Megaman they are appearing in a lot of Nintendo games because of amiibo, also it can make Nintendo more interested on using Geno in Mario games square wouldn't have a problem on letting Nintendo use Geno if they added him in smash because let's be honest square Enix can't make anything with Geno his parts is mostly from Nintendo
You're still on this

seriously

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yikes.

That sounds absolutely brutal. I wonder if this was what partly inspired Iwata to come up with shared architecture for the next console/handheld generation? That is something that could have benefited the Smash Bros development team in a long run.
Yep. It's what makes developing on Nintendo consoles so brutal. The DS and Wii, despite their issues, were quite similar. The Wii U and 3DS are very different, with the Wii U having some insanely cutting edge technology (the build of the Wii U is how desktops and laptops are gonna be built in the next decade, and is cheaper to develop than games on the other 8th gen home consoles, even the stupid Ouya; but big studio devs are unwilling to pay to teach their staff how to build there, partially caused by the small audience that owns a Wii U), whereas the 3DS' technology revolves a lot around really old technology... and 3D.

It's almost shocking that the 3DS is so outdated (in basic console design, namely RAM and processing) and yet the Wii U is so cutting edge (in many odd ways) and they're both made by the same company.

This isn't as much a problem for Smash development as it is for 3rd party studios. It scares off 3rd parties, in kind of an opposite case of how the PSP/PS3 connectivity attracted 3rd party studios (which helped make the PSP a gigantic success and money maker). Given that Sony seems to be leaving the handheld console business, this could be an issue for Nintendo handhelds after the 3DS if their console architecture isn't similar to home consoles in the future.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, it it likely that a big reason that nothing has been done with the franchise in decades is that the majority of the staff that worked on Chrono Trigger (and Chrono Cross) are not available for the project. A large number of them left the company and formed Monolithsoft, and the rest of the key figures have been stuck in a perpetual loop of work on the SE MMORPGS (FF XI and XIV in particular.)

It will be interesting to see what happens.... if Nintendo was smart, they would help in developing or bank rolling such a game for NX launch. They need all the gamer good will they can get.
The funniest gaming story I think I've ever heard from @thethirdkoopa was when he told me was when entire branches of Square Enix (mostly on the Square side, not so much on the Enix side) stopped working on games to play their old games to literally learn what good games look like, because the older staff forgot what their good games felt like (apparently even they know games like FFXII and XIII have huge flaws), and newer staff weren't around for that.

And yeah, Nintendo financially getting behind such a game would be brilliant. Then again, they could've possibly gotten Shenmue or freaking the Burnout devs making F-Zero Wii U, but they didn't seal either deal.

...I still can't get over that Nintendo didn't buy Atlus though. SEGA has already made a PROFIT from that purchase. SEGA, of all companies, was the one to make the genius business move, and Ubisoft just had one of the best E3 Conferences this year. I don't believe I'm technically in reality anymore.

Naoshi

I've never actually heard of any rumors or anything as to who invented or came up with or authorized random tripping. It just seems so... random. As for the slowed down gameplay, the game speed is one thing, but the pacing of the attacking and whatnot would have likely been fixed with more time spent on developing the gameplay. Honestly a huge problem with Brawl is they experimented more than they did with 64 or Melee with nowhere near the time or the staff dedicated to strictly the gameplay.

Sometimes literally just screwing around in development is needed to come up with new ideas, and that, brain storming, and formal super hardcore testing were firmly missing in Brawl. It's actually amazing Brawl doesn't have more issues, since most of the bug checkers were literally temps at HAL Laboratories that HAL pawned out to Sakurai (because their actual employees don't want to work that since, according to what I'm told, it's among the most boring job in gaming).
You raise a really interesting point. As someone who has been developing a game for years, it had gone through a lot of experimentation and changes as well.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Again: Square chose not to use Geno in their own recent Mario games. It's not a case of "He's too good for sports games or Fortune Street!": they actually used Mario RPG content in Fortune Street, fyi.

There is literally nothing to indicate either company is interested in using him again (quite the contrary), and a Smash Bros debut wouldn't change that. "Alphadream wants to use him!" means nothing except that he might get another cameo in a future Mario & Luigi game. Nintendo doesn't give a damn, and neither does Square.

He's not even the most requested character from a Mario RPG, or Mario in general. The poll you provided as proof of his popularity also serves as proof that Paper Mario is in higher demand.

Paper Mario is requested more, is owned by Nintendo, and is still relevant. Geno has absolutely no advantages over him.

Last edited:

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Maybe if Nintendo releases Mother 3 Itoi will realize how much people love the series and decide he has more to say and make Mother 4.

I can dream
I'M NOT CRYING, YOU'RE CRYING
i just have a lot of feelings.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Do you think that's why Namco Bandai helped make this one? For more direction?
That and they have experience. Game Arts had zero experience in making fighting games, whereas the ad hoc team at Bamco had staff with all kinds of experience, from Tekken, to Soul Caliber, to even The Outfoxies. The Outfoxies btw is the first sandbox/platformer fighting game, one in which Smash is largely modeled after, which humorously enough the bulk of the people who made it current work at either HAL Laboratories or Bamco.

Given that Tekken and Soul Caliber are 2 of the 3 best-selling fighting game franchises of all-time (the 3rd: Street Figghter, obviously) and the 2 best-selling 3D fighting game franchise (by far), it made sense to bring them on board.

Perhaps if they return next time Nintendo could borrow some staff from the Street Fighter and Virtua Fighter crew just for kicks. There's actually a lot of cool ideas from Virtua Fighter that I think could translate to Smash, namely in regards to movement and attacks that function relationship to space.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I know Third K talked to someone at Nintendo about it, and they said it was an idea they were throwing around. I think this was a few months after EarthBound launched on Wii U. I'm sure it would be an easy game to translate, especially since it was already done... by a professional (Mato, the MOTHER 3 translator works for Funamation for their translation department), and plus they do have the dev codes and all that.

Considering they didn't run into licensing issues with EarthBound Beginnings and EarthBounds when both games blatantly rips off Johnny B. Goode in the hippie battle theme in EarthBound Beginnings and EarthBound, MOTHER 3 licensing should be a breeze.
Nintendo could easily just take the existing translation and release it on the VC, but I feel that that would be a very un-Nintendo thing to do. I remember reading some of the blog posts about its translation and the difficulties they had with the length of the texts on the length allowed. That might have been perhaps a issue only with a hacked fan translation, I'm unsure. I can't imagine an RPG, which are generally very wordy, being easy to translate. At the least, it would be very time consuming.

And yeah, Nintendo financially getting behind such a game would be brilliant. Then again, they could've possibly gotten Shenmue or freaking the Burnout devs making F-Zero Wii U, but they didn't seal either deal.
I don't think that's how it went down. If Criterion was in the middle of something big spanning another year or two more, that makes sense why they would turn Nintendo down. If the reports are to be believed, they were specifically looking for Wii U launch window. Maybe their thoughts were Criterion or no one.

D

Deleted member

"I'm Quitting Hal Laboratories" is ready to read with your morning coffee. Hope @aldelaro5 enjoys this!
I like this article a lot. It kind of reminds me of this Nintendo Dream article. One of my favorite Sakurai interview.
Can I rant?

Nintendo.

What the **** is going on at your eshop department.

You have tons of titles on VC for NES, SNES, and GBA.

That's great! I enjoy that. More is always merrier but you got a good amount.

What about N64, DS and Wii?

They have almost nothing. It's not like you just released them.

IT HAS BEEN MONTHS!!! THE ONLY DEVELOPMENT IS THAT JAPAN GOT ONE MORE WII GAME!

Nintendo please. I would give you so much money to play the N64, DS and Wii games I missed.

WHY WON'T YOU LET ME GIVE YOU MONEY?!?! JUST RELEASE SOME DAMN GAMES! IT'S NOT LIKE ITS HARD FOR WII and N64 TITLES!!!

DS titles I can understand. The two screens are tricky and require separate programming for each game.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER TWO!?!!

NINTENDO PLEASE!!!
Nintendo has a bad habit of starting something exciting and then dropping the ball on it. I'm disappointed that Xenoblade Chronicles hasn't got released yet and I find it ridiculous we have no more N64 titles.
There goes all hopes and dreams for a new F-Zero game, at least that's how I feel...

R.I.P. 1990-2004

Last edited by a moderator:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The funniest gaming story I think I've ever heard from @thethirdkoopa was when he told me was when entire branches of Square Enix (mostly on the Square side, not so much on the Enix side) stopped working on games to play their old games to literally learn what good games look like, because the older staff forgot what their good games felt like (apparently even they know games like FFXII and XIII have huge flaws), and newer staff weren't around for that.

...I still can't get over that Nintendo didn't buy Atlus though. SEGA has already made a PROFIT from that purchase. SEGA, of all companies, was the one to make the genius business move, and Ubisoft just had one of the best E3 Conferences this year. I don't believe I'm technically in reality anymore.

I think Atlus being on Sega is b tree than being exclusive to one company. I feel like Atlus can do more with spreading their interest around all platforms than being exclusive to Sony and Nintendo.

I think the only reason people want them exclusively is for every Persona game to be on Nintendo consoles and my thoughts are that that shouldn't be the main reason. Only companies Nintendo should had bought was Hudson Soft so Mario Party would be back to their original devs and maybe some of the studios from THQ liquidation

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Well, at least Nintendo responded to the hate Blastball and Amiibo are getting.
(http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...d_prime_federation_force_and_amiibo_criticism).
Responses in Spoiler:
Blastball:
Amiibos:
Well now that Reggie finally said that its the retailers faults for how they sell the amiibo, maybe now less people we be whining about how hard some are amiibo to find.

Ah who am I kidding...
There's still going to be whining as well as people saying he is a lying asshole when he is clearly telling the truth.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Namco Bandai having experience is something that Sakurai has directly said (I think one of the times was the Nintendo Dream Interview, 200th edition). This time around he's actually included more people in the balancing process --- 12 people! In Melee, if reports are to be believed he did it entirely himself.

I can totally see the 3DS/ Wii U causing issues for development as they have different types of archetypes. What about the Wii U makes it cutting edge? If I had to guess it would be it's processing power and being able to stream to the GamePad.

We know some assets were carried over from Brawl, so they didn't have to work totally from scratch. However, Sakurai has been pretty adamant about the claim that "all characters were designed from the ground up" (Though he's said that about every single Smash sequel). Mewtwo being buggy in Melee-> Brawl, I could see that. He said that Mewtwo took the same amount of development time as Roy and Marth in the past.

However, I'm not sure if even they had developed different games for the Wii U / 3DS that we could have gotten more characters. With every release, he talks about how draining it is to come up with characters and each time he's really pushing the limit. That might be PR speech, but I do think he obsesses over very small details, which causes even one character to take up a LOT of time. He wants to make sure he represents that character faithfully, partly to avoid disappointing the fans, and partly to avoid disappointing other content creators.

Personally, I think the changes to Brawl was in response to Melee. Melee was not the game he set out to create. He doesn't like the competitive fighting genre, and he wants to include everyone. Brawl seemed to be designed in a way to make to make the game more random, and in Sakurai's eyes more fun. He has talked about how random elements can be really fun in the past. This is probably why the custom moves in Smash For 3DS/Wii U, and the weapons in Kid Icarus: Uprising are random. It's all about increasing the 'fun factor'.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
Again: Square chose not to use Geno in their own recent Mario games. It's not a case of "He's too good for sports games or Fortune Street!": they actually used Mario RPG content in Fortune Street, fyi.

There is literally nothing to indicate either company is interested in using him again (quite the contrary), and a Smash Bros debut wouldn't change that. "Alphadream wants to use him!" means nothing except that he might get another cameo in a future Mario & Luigi game. Nintendo doesn't give a damn, and neither does Square.

He's not even the most requested character from a Mario RPG, or Mario in general. The poll you provided as proof of his popularity also serves as proof that Paper Mario is in higher demand.

Paper Mario is requested more, is owned by Nintendo, and is still relevant. Geno has absolutely no advantages over him.
There really is nothing else you can say, cause clearly he is still stuck on this crap. I don't think anything you say will change his mind no matter how much common sense is used.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Nintendo doesn't invest in studios often. It's a bit frustrating to see, as you can clearly tell they can not handle the work load of supporting two platforms (such as the 3DS and Wii U) by themselves. It wouldn't be as big of a problem if Nintendo had significant home console third party support, but, well, you know.

Hopefully Nintendo's rumored attempt at a unified and perhaps scalable architecture will make it easier for Nintendo to create games for the NX and for whatever the 3DS' successor turns out to be.

egaddmario

Smash Champion
NNID
egaddmario
3DS FC
0946-2409-3627
Namco Bandai having experience is something that Sakurai has directly said (I think one of the times was the Nintendo Dream Interview, 200th edition). This time around he's actually included more people in the balancing process --- 12 people! In Melee, if reports are to be believed he did it entirely himself.

I can totally see the 3DS/ Wii U causing issues for development as they have different types of archetypes. What about the Wii U makes it cutting edge? If I had to guess it would be it's processing power and being able to stream to the GamePad.

We know some assets were carried over from Brawl, so they didn't have to work totally from scratch. However, Sakurai has been pretty adamant about the claim that "all characters were designed from the ground up" (Though he's said that about every single Smash sequel). Mewtwo being buggy in Melee-> Brawl, I could see that. He said that Mewtwo took the same amount of development time as Roy and Marth in the past.

However, I'm not sure if even they had developed different games for the Wii U / 3DS that we could have gotten more characters. With every release, he talks about how draining it is to come up with characters and each time he's really pushing the limit. That might be PR speech, but I do think he obsesses over very small details, which causes even one character to take up a LOT of time. He wants to make sure he represents that character faithfully, partly to avoid disappointing the fans, and partly to avoid disappointing other content creators.

Personally, I think the changes to Brawl was in response to Melee. Melee was not the game he set out to create. He doesn't like the competitive fighting genre, and he wants to include everyone. Brawl seemed to be designed in a way to make to make the game more random, and in Sakurai's eyes more fun. He has talked about how random elements can be really fun in the past. This is probably why the custom moves in Smash For 3DS/Wii U, and the weapons in Kid Icarus: Uprising are random. It's all about increasing the 'fun factor'.
That "fun" factor is one of my least favorite things about games period. I don't want to grind for days upon days for something that i MIGHT get. I'd rather get it first go. That's one of the reasons i took a break from Pokemon- i don't feel like breeding forever.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Nintendo could easily just take the existing translation and release it on the VC, but I feel that that would be a very un-Nintendo thing to do. I remember reading some of the blog posts about its translation and the difficulties they had with the length of the texts on the length allowed. That might have been perhaps a issue only with a hacked fan translation, I'm unsure. I can't imagine an RPG, which are generally very wordy, being easy to translate. At the least, it would be very time consuming.
They could borrow properties of it (which they can do, since they own MOTHER 3 and it technically was a breach of IP that they allowed), but they won't. Honestly as long as they have the original copy and can edit it, this shouldn't be that hard. It'll take a few months, sure, but it won't exactly be a massive undertaking.
I don't think that's how it went down. If Criterion was in the middle of something big spanning another year or two more, that makes sense why they would turn Nintendo down. If the reports are to be believed, they were specifically looking for Wii U launch window. Maybe their thoughts were Criterion or no one.
It's not so much that they didn't land the studio as much as they didn't make the game. This is just a micro problem in a much larger macro problem from my point-of-view.

Nintendo could have gone to SEGA to get the Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Transformed crew to work on it and/or the ex-Amusement Vision crew that worked on F-Zero GX to work on it. Nintendo had plenty of opportunities and plenty of studios to make such a game that they wanted to get made, and they didn't take or find any of them.

Soul.

If the new console and handheld share the same architecture, development time would be easier for things like Smash Bros., especially if they make two versions again... and honestly? I'd like them do that.
Smash 3DS proved that Smash can work on a handheld, even if there are flaws. The next handheld is obviously going to have more power than the 3DS, so...

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
View attachment 58145
What the hell happen to Harvest Moon
inb4 we start blaming Animal Crossing
Welcome to smartphone gaming, where everything is revealed and/or released too early, even if it's in pre-pre-pre Alpha!

This is why I think it's important not to reveal games early. Wait until they are not just presentable, but awesome to watch. Of course, part of that process is making awesome games, which sadly a lot of studios don't aim to do.

Quick profits and high sales may feel good now, but they don't last forever. Meanwhile great games, like all works of art, are great forever.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
That "fun" factor is one of my least favorite things about games period. I don't want to grind for days upon days for something that i MIGHT get. I'd rather get it first go. That's one of the reasons i took a break from Pokemon- i don't feel like breeding forever.
Better yet, custom moves/clothing in Smash.
I get that they wanted to make them a neat reward, but there's better ways of doing it than annoying the player with RNG crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom