• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I have a question, what happened with those All Star stages things in the data?
Isn't that proof that we will have more than 2 characters?
I mean, no, we will obviously not have like 24 more characters, but just 2 more?... I don't know.
Just in case you didn't understand what I said XD, I was referring to this:

Chrono.

I have a question, what happened with those All Star stages things in the data?
Isn't that proof that we will have more than 2 characters?
I mean, no, we will obviously not have like 24 more characters, but just 2 more?... I don't know.
Just in case you didn't understand what I said XD, I was referring to this:
It's a "just in case" thing.

Bare minimum is still 2 characters.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
In case you were wondering about Sakurai's cat, I wrote an article about her!

Doing the final edit of "I'm Quitting Hal" translation. I think I'll post it tonight so I can give "Painful Memories of Fighting Game" room to breath. Props to Soma who is behind "Painful Memories" and "Winning and Losing" He's really helping with the translations, and he dug up a new podcast that I've never heard of before. Really exciting stuff!

Reminds me of the following video:
Sakurai was CLEARLY holding back to make it more "fun".
omg, are you talking about THAT moment when he said the thing about sequels?

if you are, PLEASE, I CAN;T WAIT FOR THIS ONE!!!!

Seriously, the reasons he quit hal proved me that I just like Sakurai....a lot.

but the sequel thing is the best quote I read :)

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
Guys, I just found something eerie on Reddit. http://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3ar4zj/being_reported_online_puts_you_against_other/.

Apparently the people who get reported online so many times can still play online in an area known as "Ban Land". Its an area within' the servers that puts reported players in their own domain removing them from the rest of the players around the world. The eerie part is that your not even alerted about it. You're just put there without notice. Its like Smash's version of the Twilight Zone XD.
Here's Video Footage:
EDIT: Here's another comment:
This is great! :awesome: Now maybe people with horrible connections, trolls and those that just run will stay away. Glad to know my reporting of said individuals actually might do something. Seriously, if you're just playing the game normally, it's not an issue. I'm guessing it doesn't affect your ability to play Friend matches, so if you're actually interested in playing Smash Bros., you can always head over to Smash Ladders. If not and you get banned, good riddance!

Thelimomon

Smash Journeyman
So, I took me some time and wrote down a moveset...

VIRUSES

Infect the Fight!

(During the moveset, I will mention "big Viruses" and "small Viruses", the big Viruses are the Viruses from above.
The small Viruses are the small versions you always see in-game in the jar:
)

Even though you play technically as A LOT of Viruses, it looks like you play only one big Virus at a time.
You start the fight as one big blue Virus, you can see that a lot of small blue Viruses fuse themselves into the one big Virus.
The blue Virus is always the first color of those three, for example on artworks, that's why you start as a blue Virus.

The Viruses' gimmick is that each color has different stats:
Blue: Average strength, average speed.
Red: Rather weak (Knockback and Damage), but very fast (start-/end-lag and running speed.)
Yellow: Very strong (Knockback and Damage), but rather slow (start-/end-lag and running speed.).

This is inspired by their different stats in "Mario & Luigi: Super Star Saga".
I chose to make the blue to be average, the red to be fast, and the yellow to be slow because of which variation they are.
The blue Virus is "Chill". (Calm)
The red Virus is "Fever". (Hot, fast)
And the yellow Virus is "Weird". (...Weird)

The color changes when the player gets a certain amount of damage.
For example, you start as the blue Virus, you get 25% damage, then the big blue Virus explodes into a few small blue Viruses which then disappear too. Where the big blue Virus exploded are now a few small red Virus ready to fuse into one big red Virus, they take the place where the blue Virus was.
During the transformation you have a very few amount of invincible frames, so it could help you out some times.
(The damage you take stays after the transformation, of course.)

Beside some animations, the strength and speed, and some special attack effects, they aren't different.

And now to some stats and miscellaneous:
- Height: They all are about :4metaknight:'s height.
- Weight: They are about :4pikachu:'s weight.
- Falling speed: About :4olimar:'s.

- Running speed:
Blue: About the speed of :4mario:. (Average)
Red: About the speed of :4charizard:. (Fast)
Yellow: About the speed of :4dedede:. (Slow)

- Stage entrance:
A few blue Viruses appear out of nowhere and fuse into one big blue Virus.

- Idle animation:

(Yellow's should be slower.)
After a while, Blue will stretch himself, red will wobble around, and yellow takes a breath.

- Taunts:
1. They hold their belly and laugh.
2. A few different colored small Viruses are floating above you.
3. They do their iconic animations, facing directly into the camera.

- Victory Theme: The first 7 seconds of this:
(A remixed version, of course)

- Victory poses:
1. A lot of different colored small Viruses are floating in cycles while laughing.
2. The big red Virus is sitting on top of the others. Blue is looking angry, Yellow doesn't react.
3. They will stand on their platforms (as seen in the idle animation gif), which are spinning around while the Viruses laugh:

Standard attacks and Smash attacks:
- Jab Combo: Two simple jabs followed by a kick upwards, a great combo starter at low percentages.

- Dash attack: Jumps forward, ending up faceplanting.

- Stilt: A straight kick forward. Somewhat similar to :4ganondorf:'s.

- Dtilt: A punch downwards.

- Utilt: The Virus slaps upwards above his head.

- Smash: The Virus holds his hands in front of him while three small Viruses are jumping forward. Similar to :4mewtwo:'s.

- Dsmash: The Virus spins around himself while holding one foot out.
- Usmash: The Virus holds his hands above him, three Viruses are spinning around there. Works similar to :4zelda:'s.

- Nair: A spin in mid air. Similar to :4duckhunt:'s.

- Fair: Leaning forward while punching.
- Bair: A backhanded punch. Similar to :4littlemac:'s. (But effective)
- Uair: A kick while spinning. Similar to :4pacman:'s.
- Dair: A kick with both feet downwards. Similar to :4ganondorf:'s.

- Grab: The Virus holds one hand in front of him, small Viruses floating around the opponent while hold. Inspired by :4greninja:'s.
- Pummel: The small Viruses tackle the opponent.
- Fthrow: The big Virus kicks the opponent forward.
- Uthrow: The small Viruses drag the opponent above the big Virus, he then punches upwards.
- Bthrow: The big Virus grabs the opponent and throws him backwards.
- Dthrow: The big Virus jumps over the opponent and drags him down together with the small Viruses. A great combo starter.
(Blue has an ice effect, Red fire, and Yellow nothing.)

Special attacks and Final Smash:
- Natuarl special: "Sneezing"
The Virus sneezes and sends a few small viruses of the same color in front of him. It has a great range and does a lot of damage. For the blue Virus, the enemy gets frozen, for the red Virus it has a fire effect, for the yellow Virus it has a random effect: Ice (freezes enemies), Fire (sends the enemy horizontal), Dark (does a lot of damage), Electricity (sends the enemy vertical), or nothing (nothing).

- Side special: "Isolated Jar"
The Virus throws a jar at the enemy, when it hits, it brakes and small Viruses will float around the enemy, doing small damage.
Similar to :4olimar:'s Pikmin. When the jar hits the ground, a few small Viruses will still float around at this place for a short period of time, if an opponent runs into it, they will start to float around him.

- Down special: "Difficult Research"
The Virus pops into a few small Viruses, they can wandering around fast, if you hold the B button. If you let go of the B button you fuse into the Virus again, with a strong "pop!". Similar to :4metaknight:'s.

- Up special: "U.F.O."
A small U.F.O. appears above the Virus with Viruses from Dr. Luigi around it. The fighting Virus will grab onto the U.F.O. with both floating upwards. It has a rather slow upward movement, but it can change the right/left movement very fast.

Note: I'm not sure if I want the Virus to be in charge of the color change, this is because there isn't an attack doing that, because I felt like this would ruin the gimmick a little, but if you want to be in charge of it:

- Down Special (2): "Wrong Diagnosis"
The Virus starts to wobble around lying on the ground, then he will explode into smaller Viruses that will then disappear too, leafing small Viruses of the next color where he was, which will then fuse into the next color's big Virus.
-->

- Final Smash: "Level 20"
When activated, a jar appears out of nowhere in front of the Virus, sucking every opponent around into it. Then a small cutscene starts with the enemies spinning in the middle, then a lot of Virus appear, hitting the enemies in the jar.
When all Viruses have appeared, the jar explodes, sending enemies miles away. Mixture between :4villager:'s and :4falcon:'s.

Now that I wrote down this whole moveset... I think they are now my second most wanted newcomers... At this point, I think I'd even be ready to trade half the cast in Smash for them... Welp.

I mean, they technically are villains, they would make an interesting fighter, and they are (at least a little bit) iconic...
Thoughts and opinions are appreciated, but please don't mention "WE HAVE ENOUGH MARIO REPS!!!11!1!!!eleven!!", because this is completely opinion based and also, it has little to do with the idea of the Viruses in Smash.

Also, shout-out to @
WeirdJoe27, who somehow happened to post something right before I wanted post this.
You have an amazing avatar!

------------

EDIT: I forgot, I probably should mention, why exactly I chose this gimmick.
Well, if you want all three Viruses in the game, there are three "obvious" ways to have them all:
1. Three Climbers. They could all fight at once, like the Ice Climbers, but I'm personally not a fan of the idea of "Three Climbers". Also, if the 3DS couldn't handle Two Climbers, Three Climbers are a lot more impossible.
2. Alts. Have one Virus fight and the other Viruses are alts. But I didn't like the idea, because they always were a trio.
3. Transformation. This is kinda the way I chose, but not entirely, because if they would just transform, they would just be nothing different than the Monado powers, for example.

So I chose this gimmick, because it is a new way to transform, and more true-to-nature for the Viruses, I believe.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
After tons of Smash Runs, I finally got the last of the hats I needed to complete my Challenge. I finally have all Custom Moves, Mii Costumes and Mii Hats for my 3DS version and I am done all of my 3DS Challenges. I am just going to use a Hammer for the Wii U version after the amount of work I had to do to get those last 2 hats(which turned out to be a Mario Hat and Santa Hat.) for the 3DS version.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
omg, are you talking about THAT moment when he said the thing about sequels?

if you are, PLEASE, I CAN;T WAIT FOR THIS ONE!!!!

Seriously, the reasons he quit hal proved me that I just like Sakurai....a lot.

but the sequel thing is the best quote I read :)
Spoiler alert: he doesnt mention leaving over sequels.

Khoru

Smash Champion
After tons of Smash Runs, I finally got the last of the hats I needed to complete my Challenge. I finally have all Custom Moves, Mii Costumes and Mii Hats for my 3DS version and I am done all of my 3DS Challenges. I am just going to use a Hammer for the Wii U version after the amount of work I had to do to get those last 2 hats(which turned out to be a Mario Hat and Santa Hat.) for the 3DS version.
there are so many dumb challenges on the wii u version
i think i already hammered "9.0 without customs" and "hard all-star with everyone"

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
i think i already hammered "9.0 without customs" and "hard all-star with everyone"
...Hard All-Star with everyone is one of the challenges? Seriously? (I've done the bottom half of the screen, but I still have a few rows that aren't revealed yet.) I wish I'd known that before I got the DLC characters, I would've tried to get that done before I made it even more difficult.

Why is it that they decided to make all of the Wii U challenges fall under either arbitrary or ridiculously arduous? I'm such a completionist that I'd really love to do them all, and to accomplish them all on my own (i.e. no hammers), but jeez. It's just a waste of time. I tried beating all Event Matches on Hard my first time through and once I got in the last quarter of them I just gave up and went to Medium or Easy because it becomes a string of Cruel Smashes with a different theme, either that or that awful Kirby event match that I had difficulty beating even on Easy. I'm not the most skilled gamer nor the most skilled Smash player but there's a very clear line between reasonable challenge and arbitrary difficulty thrown in, and the latter is just so frustrating.

I love Smash 4, but the single-player pieces have disappointed me a lot, which is a bummer since even in multiplayer-oriented games I still tend to play more on my own.

OurBraveHero

Smash Lord
NNID
ourbravehero
I know it's not Nintendo related at all, but I know there are a lot of people who were waiting for Persona 5 in this community. Someone got a hold of Persona 4 Dancing early and got the new trailer for P5 that came with it early. They're currently in the process of ripping it off the blu-ray apparently; but there are some screenshots already.
https://www.facebook.com/TheMayonakaNetwork/posts/893594527349722

I won't be up much longer but my friends at Mayonaka Network are planning on staying up for quite a while to see if the trailer gets posted/more screenshots get leaked. So be sure to check it out!

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I at least prefer the challenges that are extremely difficult to the ones that just require a lot of time grinding away. If I wasn't so close to completing the 50 000 Trophy Rush challenge then I'd hammer it for sure.

Khoru

Smash Champion
...Hard All-Star with everyone is one of the challenges? Seriously? (I've done the bottom half of the screen, but I still have a few rows that aren't revealed yet.) I wish I'd known that before I got the DLC characters, I would've tried to get that done before I made it even more difficult.

Why is it that they decided to make all of the Wii U challenges fall under either arbitrary or ridiculously arduous? I'm such a completionist that I'd really love to do them all, and to accomplish them all on my own (i.e. no hammers), but jeez. It's just a waste of time. I tried beating all Event Matches on Hard my first time through and once I got in the last quarter of them I just gave up and went to Medium or Easy because it becomes a string of Cruel Smashes with a different theme, either that or that awful Kirby event match that I had difficulty beating even on Easy. I'm not the most skilled gamer nor the most skilled Smash player but there's a very clear line between reasonable challenge and arbitrary difficulty thrown in, and the latter is just so frustrating.

I love Smash 4, but the single-player pieces have disappointed me a lot, which is a bummer since even in multiplayer-oriented games I still tend to play more on my own.
for real
at least you don't have to do them all on hard, just fulfill the conditions
that still makes a number of them hell (i have nightmares about the one on the halberd) but

i got home at like 11 the night before the new dlc and i was rushing to try and do all-star on hard with duck hunt and in 6 minutes with shulk and jiggly

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Can I rant?

Nintendo.

What the **** is going on at your eshop department.

You have tons of titles on VC for NES, SNES, and GBA.

That's great! I enjoy that. More is always merrier but you got a good amount.

What about N64, DS and Wii?

They have almost nothing. It's not like you just released them.

IT HAS BEEN MONTHS!!! THE ONLY DEVELOPMENT IS THAT JAPAN GOT ONE MORE WII GAME!

Nintendo please. I would give you so much money to play the N64, DS and Wii games I missed.

WHY WON'T YOU LET ME GIVE YOU MONEY?!?! JUST RELEASE SOME DAMN GAMES! IT'S NOT LIKE ITS HARD FOR WII and N64 TITLES!!!

DS titles I can understand. The two screens are tricky and require separate programming for each game.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER TWO!?!!

NINTENDO PLEASE!!!

Geno Boost

Smash Master
i dont have enogh time to reply to everyone

He didn't say that Geno would have a more interesting moveset. He only argued against your point that he's a serious character. And you act like giant bosses aren't a common thing in games.

SMRPG is a non-canon spin-off. It has literally never been mentioned in anything except for a small cameo in M&L:SS. That does not translate to "important in Nintendo and Square's history".
thats because SMRPG had some copyright issue
and yes SMRPG was important
-it was the first mario RPG game
-it was the main reason why did mario paper and mario and luigi RPG exist
-this game was the first game that was made by both nintendo and square
-this game was a mix between final fantasy and a mario game wich means its special
-SMRPG released toys unlike mario paper and mario and luigi RPG seires
-IGN rated this game higher than any mario paper and mario and luigi RPG game

How exactly does being in one game translate to being important to a company's history? I would like you to prove your own points instead of having other people disprove them. How is Geno important to Nintendo's history? How is he more serious than Paper Mario and Daisy?
i said SMRPG was important to nintendo history also there are some characters in smash that arent important in nintendo history :4greninja::4darkpit:
he is more serious because he is not a kind of character that plays party and have a fun
So 2 titles, both of which are the same. Whats that? Geno doesnt have anymore games and hasnt had any since?

Moveset wise, great. Legacy wise, not so much. Sakurai aint buying Geno just for Smash Bros
putting Geno in smash means he is going to have future in mario games just like pit after brawl not just to have him only in smash

Last edited:

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
Trying to clear All Star on Hard with Olimar was frustrating, I'm glad the CPUs cant kill you until waaay later otherwise I would've just given up.
Not to mention the Metroid challenge in Smash Tour... I swear it felt more like I completed that challenge by pure chance.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Super delayed, but I'm glad to see another Buffyverse fan here! I love Doyle, I wish we'd gotten more of him. :/
I watched Buffy and Angel through from start to finish (with an order guide to help because they cross over a LOT) for the first time a while back and was blown away by the experience of it. Before that, my only experience was watching like one episode of Buffy when I was really young.

Angel's first 9 episodes are pretty much the greatest TV I've ever seen, I liked Wesley but Doyle made it very easy for me to get into Angel, as when I was watching the first few Buffy seasons I was thinking that there was no way Angel's own show could measure up to it.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Can I rant?

Nintendo.

What the **** is going on at your eshop department.

You have tons of titles on VC for NES, SNES, and GBA.

That's great! I enjoy that. More is always merrier but you got a good amount.

What about N64, DS and Wii?

They have almost nothing. It's not like you just released them.

IT HAS BEEN MONTHS!!! THE ONLY DEVELOPMENT IS THAT JAPAN GOT ONE MORE WII GAME!

Nintendo please. I would give you so much money to play the N64, DS and Wii games I missed.

WHY WON'T YOU LET ME GIVE YOU MONEY?!?! JUST RELEASE SOME DAMN GAMES! IT'S NOT LIKE ITS HARD FOR WII and N64 TITLES!!!

DS titles I can understand. The two screens are tricky and require separate programming for each game.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE OTHER TWO!?!!

NINTENDO PLEASE!!!
gamecube when
They will be on the nx. :p

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
As much as I'd like a new F-Zero, I'd have settled for Falcon in Mario Kart 8.
New avatar.
Mario Kart plays nothing like F-Zero though. There's a steeper learning curve for F-Zero, IMO.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
New avatar.
Mario Kart plays nothing like F-Zero though. There's a steeper learning curve for F-Zero, IMO.
I agree that Mario Kart is very different from F Zero but it bugs me a lot that there are F-Zero tracks and a Kart, with no sign of a new F-Zero game in the future but they didn't put him in Kart as a playable.

And yes, new avatar ;).

Last edited:

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I'm looking at the character descriptions for Fire Emblem Fates on Serene's Forest right now. While there are many new looking and interesting characters, there are some that are complete rehashes from Awakening, namely these:
Lazward is literally Inigo, and Luna is literally Severa.

It doesn't help that their art uses the same color for hair since the styles are the same. Both Inigo and Severa's hair color is varied by the players choice in Awakening.

....unless this is intentional, which I do not understand why it would be.

EDIT: Shoot, Odin might as well be Owain, also.

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
tbh all I do with DH is roll to the side and spam projectiles. I almost always win. Depends if I'm hardcore srs at the time or just want a fight.

Expect me in BannedLand in a couple of days.

i dont have enogh time to reply to everyone

thats because SMRPG had some copyright issue
and yes SMRPG was important
-it was the first mario RPG game
-it was the main reason why did mario paper and mario and luigi RPG exist
-this game was the first game that was made by both nintendo and square
-this game was a mix between final fantasy and a mario game wich means its special
-SMRPG released toys unlike mario paper and mario and luigi RPG seires
-IGN rated this game higher than any mario paper and mario and luigi RPG game

i said SMRPG was important to nintendo history also there are some characters in smash that arent important in nintendo history :4greninja::4darkpit:
he is more serious because he is not a kind of character that plays party and have a fun

putting Geno in smash means he is going to have future in mario games just like pit after brawl not just to have him only in smash
-and?
-just because it was the first doesn't mean the other's wouldn't had existed. They're all very different anyways.
-And?
-okay? You can say any game is special? "mk8 lets u play as link so it's special"
-don't get this point. do you mean they made toys for people to buy?
-IGN don't mean anything. You can't spell Ignorant without IGN.

Dark Pit isn't even edgy at all. He's Pit in black.

And even then, why would Geno get into Smash when he's been useless to both SE and Nintendo? It wouldn't even be right at all. Just because people want him in doesn't mean he's deserving.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I agree that Mario Kart is very different from F Zero but it bugs me a lot that there are F-Zero tracks and a Kart, with no sign of a new F-Zero game in the future but they didn't put him in Kart as a playable.

And yes, new avatar ;).
Would have been a nice nod, for sure. F-Zero GX is my favorite racing game story, and it's up there for one of my favorite game stories of all time. It's off the wall, the levels all play very uniquely, and it's challenging.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Would have been a nice nod, for sure. F-Zero GX is my favorite racing game story, and it's up there for one of my favorite game stories of all time. It's off the wall, the levels all play very uniquely, and it's challenging.
Would have been nice to have had Diddy and Falcon. Would have been a nice nod to the fact that they were racing game icons in the N64 era.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Would have been nice to have had Diddy and Falcon. Would have been a nice nod to the fact that they were racing game icons in the N64 era.
Yeah, I've been so disappointed that they haven't done anything with the Diddy Kong Racing series. Was such a great combination of racing and adventure, that you don't really see.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Yeah, I've been so disappointed that they haven't done anything with the Diddy Kong Racing series. Was such a great combination of racing and adventure, that you don't really see.
It's too bad that Rare own all the characters aside from Diddy and Krunch :(.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom