• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I'm a developer. Not a game developer (yet, hopefully), but a developer nonetheless. I can say from experience from an application planning standpoint, and I expect in many other mediums as well (if not almost everything), the first thing you do is throw out as many ideas as you possibly can, super crazy and ridiculous, outlandish ones included, in order to get things on the table. Then you filter through that to find the best ones.

In just making my own fan roster, I looked through character after character and game after game just trying to think about what the best options would be. It would be shocking, especially knowing how detail orientated Sakurai is and how much he likes to push the limits of what he makes, if they didn't do that with each version. I wouldn't even be surprised if he looked at the same old list of said dozens and dozens of characters for this game.

His criteria and themes for the roster are what have changed with each iteration. With Melee, he had specific ones such as a "NES rep." Brawl seemed to be filling out existing series with their other primary characters, and Smash 4 was "non-fighter fighters" and unique/gimmick based movesets.
Yep. Whenever I make rosters or theorize rosters or characters, I consider a lot of things. It's crazy how every time I seriously do this I super deeply consider a new character each time. This happens tenfold when a new kind of character is confirmed. When Ryu was confirmed, I legit started theorizing half of the Street Fighter II roster (plus Alex, because I'm a Alex mark). I got some incredible theories and ideas now that I've seen and played Ryu in Smash (aka basically SFII in Smash 4, lol. It's easy to go off what you've known for over 2 decades!).

There's so many details to characters that it is literally insane to think about the totality of it. I divide it generally into moveset (physical moves used by characters), skillset (what a characters' specific skills, strengths, and weaknesses are), and playstyle (how a character plays and how a character is most effectively played) to condense it, but you can break all of that down into so many sub-categories it is utterly mind-boggling.

Also, it usually isn't Sakurai doing this, but rather a huge team. Sakurai is just the one with final say. Often he puts in the glue for characters that connects pieces together for how they are built. Out of all the jobs he's done on Smash, this is definitively the one he's most effective at.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Welcome to smartphone gaming, where everything is revealed and/or released too early, even if it's in pre-pre-pre Alpha!

This is why I think it's important not to reveal games early. Wait until they are not just presentable, but awesome to watch. Of course, part of that process is making awesome games, which sadly a lot of studios don't aim to do.

Quick profits and high sales may feel good now, but they don't last forever. Meanwhile great games, like all works of art, are great forever.
Mobile gaming was the 3rd worst thing to happen to gaming. It hurts the quality of game series and is made for easy cash grabs.
Plus it's killing handhelds

Other two is Early Access and On-Disc DLC locked from the players until you pay

Soul.

Breeding Pokémon is **** ugh. Hoping they make that more EZ in Gen 7.
Also, I feel that custom moves could have been implemented better---they could have been in the games from the get-go.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
They could borrow properties of it (which they can do, since they own MOTHER 3 and it technically was a breach of IP that they allowed), but they won't. Honestly as long as they have the original copy and can edit it, this shouldn't be that hard. It'll take a few months, sure, but it won't exactly be a massive undertaking.

It's not so much that they didn't land the studio as much as they didn't make the game. This is just a micro problem in a much larger macro problem from my point-of-view.

Nintendo could have gone to SEGA to get the Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Transformed crew to work on it and/or the ex-Amusement Vision crew that worked on F-Zero GX to work on it. Nintendo had plenty of opportunities and plenty of studios to make such a game that they wanted to get made, and they didn't take or find any of them.
I think the thing that Nintendo seems to be lacking is urgency. During the Wii/DS era, they were pulling out all the stops. The failure of the Gamecube woke something up in them, and even though the Wii's gimmick was what made it a hit, Nintendo continuously pushed out games in both established and dormant franchises. The Wii had two mainline Zelda entries. It had two Metroids. It had two 3D Mario titles. It had a revival for Punch-Out. It had the first 2D Mario platformer to appear on a home consoles in 19 years. 19 years! I know the NSMB series gets a lot of flack now, but when it first launched? That was a huge deal! Nintendo was clearly not holding anything back.

It really doesn't feel that way at the moment. I'm really hoping the reason for that is that development is ramping up for the NX. All signs point to that being the case, but if E3 is an indication of how Nintendo plans on supporting the Wii U in the near future, and if the NX STILL doesn't launch with a solid library... than I don't know what to think.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Mobile gaming was the 3rd worst thing to happen to gaming. It hurts the quality of game series and is made for easy cash grabs.

Well it's not the medium's fault that plenty of developers are bags of dirt willing to sell a scam for a profit.
To me, mobile gaming is a lot like Steam. It's a good place don't get me wrong, but Lord knows people are willing to abuse the system.

Last edited:

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
Also, I feel that custom moves could have been implemented better---they could have been in the games from the get-go.
Or an extra shop where you can buy those random pick-ups. Or if you connect your 3DS to Wii U it automatically unlocks every non-challenge pick-up you've unlocked in one version but not in the other.
I mean, on the 3DS all that's left is a challenge headgear, but no way am I gonna through all that hassle on the Wii U again.

Last edited:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Well it's not the medium's fault that plenty of developers are bags of dirt willing to sell a scam for a profit.
To me, mobile gaming is a lot like Steam. It's a good place don't get me wrong, but Lord knows people are willing to abuse they system.

That's my main problem with mobile gaming, there's zero quality control. If iTunes and Google Play had actual quality control and help put out decent content then mobile gaming wouldn't have that stigma in gaming community.

Plus it hurts that major and memorable franchises are getting moved there. From Sonic, Megaman, Final Fantasy, most Konami series and so many other Capcom franchises and worst part of it all, most of them don't get released in the west

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Again: Square chose not to use Geno in their own recent Mario games. It's not a case of "He's too good for sports games or Fortune Street!": they actually used Mario RPG content in Fortune Street, fyi.

There is literally nothing to indicate either company is interested in using him again (quite the contrary), and a Smash Bros debut wouldn't change that. "Alphadream wants to use him!" means nothing except that he might get another cameo in a future Mario & Luigi game. Nintendo doesn't give a damn, and neither does Square.

He's not even the most requested character from a Mario RPG, or Mario in general. The poll you provided as proof of his popularity also serves as proof that Paper Mario is in higher demand.

Paper Mario is requested more, is owned by Nintendo, and is still relevant. Geno has absolutely no advantages over him.
It can change that and you don't know what will happen in the future if Geno was playable in smash you know companies can change their minds/opinions

This is not the "official" worldwide poll this just what just was what most japaness has voted for but not all of them and paper Mario doesn't effect geno chances because he is square Enix

Paper Mario is not original he is just Mario with different design just like dr. Mario also smrpg was important in Nintendo history than Mario paper seires and I already explained why and we don't need a 3rd Mario

Last edited:

Soul.

You know what would make the NX sell, should it be a home console?
Let them make something like Pokémon Colosseum/XD. Pokémon sells. It could bring back that kind of games, and also the Shadow Pokémon mechanic.
Though I would be interested on what they can do with franchises such as F-Zero. "Metroid Prime 4" is almost, if not basically confirmed for the NX, so that's out of the way.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'm gonna be starting a Group dedicated to non-Smash related fighting games sometime soon. PM me if you guys want an invite.

It's the fastest thing alive's birthday today.
That's right Dr. Ivo Eggman Robotnick

Let's us embrace this great hero by joining the Great Eggman Empire.
And we can all live in Egg-Man Land.
Happy birthday, Clement

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
RIP Doyle. I would have loved to have seen that character develop more. It's a shame (and incredibly sad) that Glen Quinn passed away as such a young age.

The NX will likely be powerful enough to run GC games through software emulation. I think a big reason that they have not implemented GC in the VC yet are the lack of analogue shoulder triggers on the Wii U. Sure, they could require you to use the Gamecube adapter, but Nintendo seems hesitant to make those compatible with anything that isn't Smash Bros.

Also, Ukyo is indeed the best fiancee.
here;s a problem: it;s actually easier to emulate GC on WiiU than another system if the other system uses a modern architecture.

Reasons: try to emulate GC on your pc....it's resources heavy. A WiiU sharing the same architecture has much less trouble.

They really can do it, I just don;t know why they don;t do it.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Nintendo doesn't invest in studios often. It's a bit frustrating to see, as you can clearly tell they can not handle the work load of supporting two platforms (such as the 3DS and Wii U) by themselves. It wouldn't be as big of a problem if Nintendo had significant home console third party support, but, well, you know.

Hopefully Nintendo's rumored attempt at a unified and perhaps scalable architecture will make it easier for Nintendo to create games for the NX and for whatever the 3DS' successor turns out to be.
Nintendo is straight lost direction-wise. It's top Japanese staff has too many old people unwilling to conform, and they don't have anything really exciting coming out routinely on the home consoles from within their Japanese branches. The 4 best Wii U Nintendo-published games released last year were Bayonetta 2 (made by a 3rd party), Smash Wii U (predominately made by a 3rd party), DKC: Tropical Freeze (made by Retro Studios in America), and Mario Kart 8 (the lone NoJ game). That's kind of sad.

Nintendo's first party Japanese studios need to step it up, and Nintendo needs more second parties developing home console/Wii U games.

Soul.

Wii U doesn't have anything exciting coming out this year. Star Fox Zero is an exception though.
Meanwhile, the 3DS has Super Mystery Dungeon, and...?

D

Deleted member

Wii U doesn't have anything exciting coming out this year. Star Fox Zero is an exception though.
uhh...
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Yoshi's Wooly World
Mario Maker

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Nintendo has a bad habit of starting something exciting and then dropping the ball on it. I'm disappointed that Xenoblade Chronicles hasn't got released yet and I find it ridiculous we have no more N64 titles.
I don't know why they don't just dump a ton of NES, SNES, and N64 games on the Virtual Console. There's zero reason that 1st/2nd party games on the Wii Virtual Console aren't for sale for the Wii U Virtual Console. They've had 3+ years to prepare to do this, and they clearly didn't.

Literally every Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Metroid, Kirby, Star Fox, Yoshi, Wario Land, Wario Ware, Pilotwings, F-Zero, etc. game from that era should be on the Virtual Console. There's no excuse not to.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Super Mario Maker, despite taking up way to much of this year's E3 presentation, looks like a lot of fun.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is still my most anticipated game of 2015 on any platform.

Nintendo is straight lost direction-wise. It's top Japanese staff has too many old people unwilling to conform, and they don't have anything really exciting coming out routinely on the home consoles from within their Japanese branches. The 4 best Wii U Nintendo-published games released last year were Bayonetta 2 (made by a 3rd party), Smash Wii U (predominately made by a 3rd party), DKC: Tropical Freeze (made by Retro Studios in America), and Mario Kart 8 (the lone NoJ game). That's kind of sad.

Nintendo's first party Japanese studios need to step it up, and Nintendo needs more second parties developing home console/Wii U games.
Splatoon was a step in the right direction, in my opinion. The game feels like a proper Nintendo game despite being a new franchise. It also feels, pardon the in game pun, fresh. This game is what happens when NoJ lets their young developers make the type of games that they want to. If Miyamoto's comments are anything to go by, we might actually see more of this in the future.

"And so we've had a lot of opportunity to train the staff that we have, and we have a lot of examples of new projects, like the game that we just released, called Splatoon. Splatoon is a very good example because it used to be that I had many different teams that I could go to when I had an idea for a game that I wanted to make, and I would bring that idea and they would make the game. But Splatoon was an example of one of those younger teams coming up with an idea of a game they wanted to make and the senior leadership supporting them in making the game they wanted to make. And so we're at a point where we're starting to see that transition and seeing the benefits from that."

http://www.npr.org/sections/alltech...on-the-origins-of-nintendos-famous-characters

Nintendo subsidiaries in Japan, such as Monolithsoft and Intelligent Systems, are doing fine as is.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Mobile gaming isn't the problem; the problem is there are essentially no rules, regulations, or consumer protections from such awful games. There's also no standard set. For every Heavenly Sword there's a trillion awful games that deceive gamers. For every top notch indie game that only brings in a net revenue of $20 million there's a Game of War, Boom Beach, or Candy Crush Saga vastly inferior game that makes that figure in a week.

Early Access is at least somewhat better regulated. It allows earlier access and can lead to bug fixes, but the problem I see with it either is the game is simply not ready for Early Access or developers try to improve the early access content rather than the officially released game.

On disc DLC is straight wrong sans a situation where it's locked because it's incomplete and will be free DLC later.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Mobile gaming isn't the problem; the problem is there are essentially no rules, regulations, or consumer protections from such awful games. There's also no standard set. For every Heavenly Sword there's a trillion awful games that deceive gamers. For every top notch indie game that only brings in a net revenue of $20 million there's a Game of War, Boom Beach, or Candy Crush Saga vastly inferior game that makes that figure in a week.
It's the problem of not having a unified and monitored system. I personally love open platforms, and I much prefer Android to IoS because of this. It can, however, lead to almost unlimited shovelware.

It's one of the reasons dedicated video game consoles are great ideas.

Let's not forget that this little image:

practically saved the video game industry at one point.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Woolly World
Star Fox
Mario Maker
Xenoblade
(Tennis?)

That's more than enough to keep me happy.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Imagine my surprise today while doing computer training at work to see the actress who plays Scott's Mom on Teen Wolf pretending to be a Home Depot employee named ''Rachel."

The actress is named Melissa Ponzio.

And she's probably one of the most awesome TV mom's on TV today.

I might have died laughing a little.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
It's the problem of not having a unified and monitored system. I personally love open platforms, and I much prefer Android to IoS because of this. It can, however, lead to almost unlimited shovelware.

It's one of the reasons dedicated video game consoles are great ideas.

Let's not forget that this little image:

practically saved the video game industry at one point.
And yet we still got people like LGN making an entire business out of crap.
What are the odds?

Last edited:

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
It can change that and you don't know what will happen in the future if Geno was playable in smash you know companies can change their minds/opinions

This is not the "official" worldwide poll this just what just was what most japaness has voted for but not all of them and paper Mario doesn't effect geno chances because he is square Enix

Paper Mario is not original he is just Mario with different design just like dr. Mario also smrpg was important in Nintendo history than Mario paper seires and I already explained why and we don't need a 3rd Mario
Nintendo AND Squeenix have thought Geno was useless for a decade now. Why would they randomly change their mind?

And we know the poll isn't official, but it still proves Paper Mario is more popular than Geno. Also, PM sort of does affects Geno's chances because Geno's only appearance was in the Mario series.

For your last paragraph? SMRPG wasn't important at all. Yeah, it was their first RPG. That's IT. We don't need a 3rd Mario? Well, we don't need Geno.

You could say Geno isn't original because he's a doll that came to life, a thing that's been made at least 1000 times in games.

Last edited:

Chrono.

So the PC version of Arkham Knight came out today and... it's basically unplayable. Which, understandably, has a lot of people angry.

But of course things got worse when one of the PR employees of WB posted this.

Because why should we expect games to work at lunch right?

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
So the PC version of Arkham Knight came out today and... it's basically unplayable. Which, understandably, has a lot of people angry.

Wouldn't be the first time WB Games put out a bad port...

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
well not if it's on PC because you'd need all the cords and the hard drive to carry

Seriously, yeah I'd instantly stop supporting that company.

Last edited:

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I watched Buffy and Angel through from start to finish (with an order guide to help because they cross over a LOT) for the first time a while back and was blown away by the experience of it. Before that, my only experience was watching like one episode of Buffy when I was really young.

Angel's first 9 episodes are pretty much the greatest TV I've ever seen, I liked Wesley but Doyle made it very easy for me to get into Angel, as when I was watching the first few Buffy seasons I was thinking that there was no way Angel's own show could measure up to it.
Yeah, I saw a few episodes of Buffy way back but didn't get into Buffy and Angel until a few years back and I've been pretty much obsessed ever since. I never liked Angel's character much within Buffy, but he really shines on his own show. And yeah, the entire show is great, but especially that early part of Angel is my favorite part. Buffy still has a bit more of my love, but Angel is fantastic as well.

Also agreed re: Doyle's death: I'm pretty sure Joss killed him off for the sake of shock value. He's a big fan of that type of character death. I'm forever bitter about that happening to Tara. :(

Wait, people still haven't completed the Wii U challenges? While some of them are hard, most of them are just time consuming. I've even beat All Star on Hard with the DLC characters and Classic above 7.0 with them just because.
I mean, I didn't get Smash Wii U until two months after launch and it's not been my priority over other things, recreational and not, so I just really haven't had as much time to dedicate to it even if I were enjoying the process. I like 100%ing games but at some point in my life game "accomplishments" got put on my back burner in favor of just whatever I enjoy doing, and the challenges in Wii U have not been terribly enjoyable for me to complete. It's the same reason I still have a few of those tedious challenges left on Brawl too.

Imagine my surprise today while doing computer training at work to see the actress who plays Scott's Mom on Teen Wolf pretending to be a Home Depot employee named ''Rachel."

The actress is named Melissa Ponzio.

And she's probably one of the most awesome TV mom's on TV today.

I might have died laughing a little.
Dude, Melissa McCall is the best.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo

You know what, he's right. How dare we complain that a $60.00 game doesn't work! We should be ashamed of ourselves for wanting reliability!

Because that's good PR.

GreenReaperGod

Smash Lord

Your entire argument relies on a "what if" situation with absolutely no facts to back up your statements. Get some evidence and then we'll talk.

And I'm not going to even get started on your blatant misconceptions about Paper Mario. Being a third Mario means jack, and besides, he'd have his own unique moveset so it wouldn't even matter.

The state of the gaming industry scares me.

Pokechu

chugga chugga
NNID
Pokechu
3DS FC
5000-1894-6879
Switch FC
SW-7547-3301-4325
You know what, he's right. How dare we complain that a $60.00 game doesn't work! We should be ashamed of ourselves for wanting reliability!

Because that's good PR.
Even better! We should pay them extra to fix them because they're taking time out of their full, busy schedules for us fans!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom