• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Who said anything about the rumor being pre-ballot?

I read that wrong sorry. Hold on.

No it doesn't explain why it was decided to include Shovel Knight before the ballot ended.
To be fair, the rumor is open ended. It could be a reveal for after the ballot.
gee, this post was so old (relatively) and tama did quoted mine when i posted that :)

lol

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Still, I'd like to know what @Tama's source is saying about this at the moment.
I'm not Tamaki, but I personally haven't heard any updates on that front.

gee, this post was so old (relatively) and tama did quoted mine when i posted that :)

lol
I quoted you so everyone would have context for what Tamaki was replying to!

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
@ ThePenguinGamer0 ThePenguinGamer0 and @ Substitution Substitution remember to leave personal insults if you are going to continue this debate. If I see another insult thrown out at the other party, I'm going to give out an infraction.

If you can't do that, then please move on.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I'm not Tamaki, but I personally haven't heard any updates on that front.

I quoted you so everyone would have context for what Tamaki was replying to!
Don't worry, I know your not Tamaki, I just remember you saying something about his source. The question is why the source would share all this info now if Shovel Knight were to be announced months later.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
If Shovel Knight gets in due to the ballot, I think that would just about confirm that Sakurai doesn't have a say on who gets in from the ballot, and that he is required to make the winners no matter what. Sakurai would do anything to get around adding a character he has never even heard of . He's very protective about who makes it in Smash. I always kinda presumed that the higher ups at Nintendo essentially told Sakurai they would make the ballot with or without him, and he decided to stay to protect his idea of Smash as much as possible. I could never see Sakurai willingly start a ballot where people essentially tell him who to put in.

My thoughts on Shovel Knight being in Smash are mixed.
All the 3rd Party characters currently in represent something important in gaming history. Sonic represents the first real rival Nintendo ever had. Mega Man represents third parties starts to develop stellar and legendary titles for Nintendo's platforms, and other platforms too. Mega Maj is also a big influence to many platforming games that would come later. Pac-Man is...Pac-Man. 'Nuff said. Ryu represents the dawn of fighting games. Without Ryu, we might not have even ever had Smash.

I guess one could say that Shovel Knight would represent indie games becoming a big thing in the gaming world, but it's not like Shovel Knight is super important to the rise of indie games. A big figure that would represent that well would be Meat Boy, or even Commander Video (who, might I add, was given a trophy in Smash U for the specific purpose of representing indie games), but then again, neither of those could possibly have a moveset of any kind in Smash. So it seems like Shovel Knight would be the best option to represent indie games, given his popularity and moveset potential.

All in all, if Shovel Knight gets in, I will buy him (I'm buying all the Smash DLC), I will enjoy playing as him, and I might even main him depending on his moveset, but something would always stick out a little bit.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Did I say "OMG, YOUR OPINION IS SO WRONG, MY OPINION IS FACT"?

No I didn't. I was simply pointing something out and making a suggestion, so please stop assuming things. It makes you look idiotic.
No, but I think that's the direction this is going.
If the idea is that we should bash the one(s) who caused it because we make fun of a few Youtubers. Why? Because we don't like Etika? Well that doesn't make a lot of sense. It's kinda like saying I should bash the Rolling Stones because I don't like Nickleback.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Personally speaking, my confidence in it is lower than what it was yesterday. But there's still good reason to believe in it.
One amiibo, multiple games
  • We plan to continue support of the Shovel Knight amiibo in future Yacht Club Games and Nintendo products! Stay tuned to amiibo.com for compatibility details in new games.
-Source

Is a good sign for the rumor.
I guess I overlooked the "future" part of that quote beforehand, but given that games like Captain Toad or Hyrule Warriors exist where all amiibos are compatible (even if most have the same effect), I wouldn't count that as strong evidence towards DLC.

Technically, I guess the "future" in that sentence wouldn't even necessarily have to refer to the "Nintendo products", but that's probably splitting hairs.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I could never see Sakurai willingly start a ballot where people essentially tell him who to put in.
To be fair, there were the pre-Melee and Brawl polls. But they were more suggestions than anything, I see what you mean.

Good insight otherwise. I absolutely agree.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
You know its funny for the current Splatfest in Europe a lot of people were complaining that the theme sucks, and the America's theme is better, but really I see it coming down to cultural differences I think quite a few of America's splatfest themes suck personally.

Although I wish for the Splatfest I am actually taking part during the Turf Wars, was a theme that I personally had more investment in, since I don't really like singing or dancing.

Khoru

Smash Champion
A big figure that would represent that well would be Meat Boy, or even Commander Video (who, might I add, was given a trophy in Smash U for the specific purpose of representing indie games), but then again, neither of those could possibly have a moveset of any kind in Smash.
i'm not entirely sure about meat boy, but cvid has a ton of moveset potential? like... wat.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Eh, I don't know about Meat Boy. For one, he hasn't been on a Nintendo console yet. And secondly trying to put him in a tamer game (mind you, he's the kind of character who leaves a blood trail wherever he goes) while still keeping the original spirit could end up an issue.

Khoru

Smash Champion
This is what happens when you starres in multiple mini genres though.
...yes? bit.trip's whole thing is that the games are like, five totally different genres. i don't see how having a "composite moveset" would be any sort of downside.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
I guess I overlooked the "future" part of that quote beforehand, but given that games like Captain Toad or Hyrule Warriors exist where all amiibos are compatible (even if most have the same effect), I wouldn't count that as strong evidence towards DLC.
Yeah, NoA's Damon Baker confirmed it will work with games that have general amiibo functionality like that.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
I don't see too many difference in Indie reps in Smash, but Quote > Shantae >= Captain Video > Shovel Knight in my opinion. Super Meat Boy doesn't belong ANYWHERE near this game, he's never even been on a Nintendo console.

Don't really want any of them in (I like the concept of "special" guests) but I'm also not extremely bothered by any of them getting in.

Last edited:

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
After reading @ PushDustIn PushDustIn 's article, I really can't help but agree. Shovel Knight getting into Smash is fine and all, but I feel it's really loosing what makes Super Smash Bros., well, Super Smash Bros.

Its suppose to be a crossover fighting game where Nintendo All-Stars duke it out with a couple of iconic 3rd party characters. Shovel Knight being added in really changes what the game is all about and detaches the game from its roots.

If he is indeed added, I really hope this is the last third-party character in this game. We really need some new Nintendo characters.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
After reading @ PushDustIn PushDustIn 's article, I really can't help but agree. Shovel Knight getting into Smash is fine and all, but I feel it's really loosing what makes Super Smash Bros., well, Super Smash Bros.

Its suppose to be a crossover fighting game where Nintendo All-Stars duke it out with a couple of iconic 3rd party characters. Shovel Knight being added in really changes what the game is all about and detaches the game from its roots.

If he is indeed added, I really hope this is the last third-party character in this game. We really need some new Nintendo characters.
To be fair, we have some characters who can't be called Allstars at all

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
That doesn't make my point any less valid. Seriously, as much as I liked him in the game he was in, Dark Pit isn't an allstar at all. Just saying
But he's still popular. Look at all the fanart he has. Mostly hetei with him and Pit but still.

D

Deleted member

There isn't a rule stating a 3rd party character must be a gaming icon to be included
Fans create their own rules based off "patterns"
Like every game having Marth+recent lord or having two Pokemon cut every game
Yeah, which is why Shovel Knight would stick out like a sore thumb.
Because Alph isn't a sore thumb?
Or Ryu himself with the other 3rd parties?
The clones being separated from their series?
Or Snake. Period.
No, because that would have catastrophic effects on the world's ecology, which would in turn cause the extinction of the human race.
I'm pretty sure almost all other living beings could survive without mosquitos, they don't contribute to the ecology at all
This would also means certain parasites that need them to contaminate humans and other animals would probably stop to exist as well
Tl;dr mosquitos can mosQUIT this planet

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
SW-6660-1506-8804
That doesn't make my point any less valid. Seriously, as much as I liked him in the game he was in, Dark Pit isn't an allstar at all. Just saying
However Dark Pit was initially planned as an alternate costume, not a playable character. Same with Lucina.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
going to be straight as I had this question since way before releases.....

WHAT THE HECK IS AN "ALLSTAR"?

Other than being a mode in ssbm, brawl and ssb4, I really don;t get it.

This is these kind of words are are said that I'm not even sure if people has a definition to it. Like, what is it? What does it takes? Why someone wouldn;t be one?

It's really annoying because of how confusing it is. If I had to use words like that, I would either have a definition or I would tell it, but this time, I dopn;t have one.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think TheEpicRyuga's point was the fact he said that Smash was supposed to be about "Nintendo All-Star's" duking it out. And being fair, some of the Nintendo characters we got their "All-Star" status may be a little bit.... debatable.....

Whatever "All-Star" really even means these days.....

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
To be fair, we have some characters who can't be called Allstars at all
Just so you All-stars doesn't refer to the most iconic and biggest cult classic characters, after all you just need to look at Marvel's Avengers and DC Justice League books, they've quite often had no name characters in the starring line-up.

Really the term All-Star is an all encompassing term that refers to all characters owned by the company, its the reason why ALL is there in the first place.

Last edited:

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
And here we go with comparisons to first party characters again...

Sigh.
There isn't a rule stating a 3rd party character must be a gaming icon to be included
"I'm not going to have just any character participate from other companies, but he's definitely in a class of his own." - Sakurai on Mega Man's inclusion

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
And here we go with comparisons to first party characters again...

Sigh.

"I'm not going to have just any character participate from other companies, but he's definitely in a class of his own." - Sakurai on Mega Man's inclusion
I'm not trying to defend Shovey, but I'm trying to call BS on the 'allstar' quota. Again, Roy is easily the best example

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom