• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
That moment when you post something and it doesn't get noticed because the thread moves onto the next page.

It may have been a stupid overused pun, but it still sucks when it happens.
Yeah, it sucks when your posts get buried like that. :troll:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Tamaki's source specified that he'd be a full character and NOT a costume.

If this rumor is true, we're not getting a Mii Costume.
I don't know, we have no idea where Tamaki's sources got the info from, so it could have easily changed from Shovel Knight is getting a Mii costume to Shovel Knight is a playable fighters, as like I said before there are a lot of factors that go into this kind of stuff that can easily make info change in people's heads.

Actually this just gave me an idea, while I'm sure most of us can agree that Mii costumes for 1st and 2nd party characters doesn't deconfirm the character chances, it lowers it a bit.

But when it comes to 3rd party character Mii costumes, I think we can all agree that completely deconfirms the character. I see those as a way of saying, look this character isn't as big Sonic, Pacman and Megamnan so we can't really justify them being here in a Nintendo crossover, so have a Mii costume so you can at least make your Mii fighter look more like the character.

Last edited:

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I wish Sakurai would've told us how many characters he was planning on making.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
A quote from a good friend of mine, itself quoted from a good philosopher, relevant to the current discussion:

"Convictions are more dangerous foes of truth than lies."

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, I realised that I really need paper jam info so here's a question.

we don;t know the full credits, but we have yet to hear any IS involvement on the dev of that game.

Could IS be involved though?

Because idk why they wouldn't, they have the experience with the series :)

D

Deleted member

I fear Smash is going to make a sizable amount of its fanbase hate Shovel Knight in the same way Ridley was hated.
And it's again to blame people that will hate anything that isn't what they want

Burb

The Absolute Worst
does anyone remember the Official Nintendo Magazine set of predictions for Smash back in 2012?
we got 4/12 playable and one of them was decofirmed assist trophy and 3/10 stages.

do you think we will get another character and stage from this list as DLC?
No.

I'm not one to believe rumors, personally. I'm not sure what digital evidence we have, but so far I haven't come across it unless there is some.
By thinking he's going to be in Smash in any form, be it costume or fighter, you're already buying into the rumor, as there was no reason to think he'd have a chance prior.

I don't know, we have no idea where Tamaki's sources got the info from, so it could have easily changed from Shovel Knight is getting a Mii costume to Shovel Knight is a playable fighters, as like I said before there are a lot of factors that go into this kind of stuff that can easily make info change in people's heads.

Actually this just gave me an idea, while I'm sure most of us can agree that Mii costumes for 1st and 2nd party characters doesn't deconfirm the character chances, it lowers it a bit.

But when it comes to 3rd party character Mii costumes, I think we can all agree that completely deconfirms the character. I see those as a way of saying, look this character isn't as big Sonic, Pacman and Megamnan so we can't really justify them being here in a Nintendo crossover, so have a Mii costume so you can at least make your Mii fighter look more like the character.
I don't have any idea what you're trying to say here. One second you're saying "Maybe he was a Mii costume but then made a full character!", and the next you're going on about how third party Mii costumes disconfirm a character.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
"Cheating is okay if the guy doesn't find out. The guy cheating is unforgivable though."

What the actual ****?

Burb

The Absolute Worst
So you don't think King K. Rool is koming to Smash anytime soon?

Krap.
He's by far the most likely of the characters shown on that page that isn't already in Smash (Though that's not really saying much, considering all the others are no-hopers).

I'm among those who thinks the Mii Fighter costume was the end of the road for him, though.

D

Deleted member

He's by far the most likely of the characters shown on that page that isn't already in Smash (Though that's not really saying much, considering all the others are no-hopers).
It hurts how true this is

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Yeah, Life is the worst site I've ever been on. I'd just ignore it personally.

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Seriously though, everyone should just strive to be a respectable human no matter the gender, race, sexuality etc.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I gotta say. The longer we go with no news.

The more I doubt this rumor.
Keep in mind that there was absolutely no updates to the Roy/Ryu leak from the time the files were first found, all the way until the day before the stream where they were completely leaked.

Granted, Roy/Ryu was a billion times stronger than the Shovel Knight one, but still. That's how leaks tend to be. It's not just a constant flood of info that leads directly to a confirmation. Sometimes leads stop cold.

I do think we should maybe take a few steps back and stop acting like this is an actual leak, though. It's still an unproven rumor. SK's presence in Smash is not inevitable, and it could just as easily be another "Nintendo of Japan Employee" incident.

I could see why you think that, considering how Sakurai is treating the costume like it's all we're getting.
I think all the DLC Mii costumes that are based on characters not already playable are meant to be a sort of consolation prize to fans of those characters.

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

I don't have any idea what you're trying to say here. One second you're saying "Maybe he was a Mii costume but then made a full character!", and the next you're going on about how third party Mii costumes disconfirm a character.
What I'm saying about the rumour has nothing to do with what I said below that paragraph, I'm merely saying that what I said gave me the idea, that Mii costumes kills any chance for 3rd parties, while it merely lowers 1st and 2nd party characters chances since at the end of the day even with Mii costumes characters like King K. Rool and Inkling will always have a higher chance then say Layton, since they are owned by Nintendo, hence they are easier to get.

Last edited:

Tama

Smash Apprentice
Keep in mind that there was absolutely no updates to the Roy/Ryu leak from the time the files were first found, all the way until the day before the stream where they were completely leaked.

Granted, Roy/Ryu was a billion times stronger than the Shovel Knight one, but still. That's how leaks tend to be. It's not just a constant flood of info that leads directly to a confirmation. Sometimes leads stop cold.

I do think we should maybe take a few steps back and stop acting like this is an actual leak, though.
Agreed. This isn't what I'd describe as a leak at all. I've been responsible for numerous leaks, and this is at best a rumour. There is reason to believe there might be some substance to it (and the amiibo thing at least proves there was something there if he doesn't get into Smash), but yes, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
What I'm saying below the rumour has nothing to do with what I said below, I'm merely saying it gave me the idea, that Mii costumes kills any chance for 3rd parties, while it merely lowers 1st and 2nd party characters chances since at the end of the day even with Mii costumes characters like King K. Rool and Inkling will always have a higher chance then say Layton, since they are owned by Nintendo, hence they are easier to get.
Personally, I think they're one in the same.

I'd actually say Inkling's situation is looking worse than any of the other costume characters except the Final Smash ones like Chrom and Dunban. The fact that they added an Inkling trophy in as DLC tells me they're not being considered.

It's a lot different than Mewtwo and Lucas already having trophies on the base game. Sakurai said DLC wasn't being planned during development, and it only started after the game was completed. This Inkling trophy was released while DLC was being planned. If they were still being considered, common sense should tell anyone that they'd hold off on releasing the trophy until the character is done rather than throw it out early.

D

Deleted member

By thinking he's going to be in Smash in any form, be it costume or fighter, you're already buying into the rumor, as there was no reason to think he'd have a chance prior.
At first glance it appears that way, but to describe it more accurately, I don't actually believe Shovel Knight or his outfit will be in Smash. I just think if he does, however, get some kind of acknowledgement (considering possibilities) it'd most likely be a costume imo.

I'm more or less just taking part in the conversation of 'what ifs' instead of actual belief.

Starlight_Lily

Personally, I think they're one in the same.

I'd actually say Inkling's situation is looking worse than any of the other costume characters except the Final Smash ones like Chrom and Dunban. The fact that they added an Inkling trophy in as DLC tells me they're not being considered.

It's a lot different than Mewtwo and Lucas already having trophies on the base game. Sakurai said DLC wasn't being planned during development, and it only started after the game was completed. This Inkling trophy was released while DLC was being planned. If they were still being considered, common sense should tell anyone that they'd hold off on releasing the trophy until the character is done rather than throw it out early.
Well I'm pretty sure can't really tell what's happening with the Inklings, since the ballot could change their mind if what you say is true about them deciding not to use them, anyway Sakurai may have the policy of not using characters from games that released after Smash. But anyway we should really leave this here, cause we'd just be treading the same ground we did before with the Inkling, and we've done enough of treading the same ground on different characters in this thread.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Here's an idea, what if there's an indie costume pack? Shovel Knight if a costumewould ovbiously be a swordfighter but who would be what?

Quote: Gunner, duh
Shantae: Either a Brawler or Gunner with Risky's gun from Pirate's Curse
Commander Video: Gunner?
Steve?: Oh wait Microsoft owns him. Well if were still considering Banjo Kazooie, then Sword Fighter.
Meat Boy: Brawler?

Any more ideas?

Solfiner

NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
I really like some of the Mii costumes. Dunban, Black knight etc. I hope we get more in the same vein of those in the future rather than the weird animal costumes.

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
Here's an idea, what if there's an indie costume pack? Shovel Knight if a costumewould ovbiously be a swordfighter but who would be what?

Quote: Gunner, duh
Shantae: Either a Brawler or Gunner with Risky's gun from Pirate's Curse
Commander Video: Gunner?
Steve?: Oh wait Microsoft owns him. Well if were still considering Banjo Kazooie, then Sword Fighter.
Meat Boy: Brawler?

Any more ideas?
This all seems too safe for a person like Sakurai.

He loves too piss off the man-children.

Khoru

Smash Champion
Shovel Knight has unique boss themes? That's usually a sign of quality imo
the entire soundtrack is actually made in famitracker, just to make it authentic and stuff
(i mean it probably still breaks nes limitations but shhhhh)

Last edited:

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
Vaan's just waiting for the whole thing to blow over.
Heeey, I was just about to tag you and ask where you've been for this. Can't say I blame you for wanting to keep your hands clean of this one though :D

@DMurr
Shovel Knight is "SNES" style retro, which resonates with a lot of people who had the console growing up. His fanbase extends past the regular group of Smash fans, and into general gaming fans. A lot of people apparently think of him as a Nintendo inspired character which is why they thought he should be in Smash (plus the indie representation people). If you think of it like that it makes sense why he's popular.

My main issue with Shovel Knight is that he has one game, from an indie developer and is obscure if you consider a worldwide view. 3rd Party characters are a special guest in Smash, and having Shovel Knight in kind of ruins the special recognition that the honor is. Like I consider 3rd party Smash characters as the hall of fame of video gaming, and right now we have no idea if Shovel Knight is going to have any long term relevance like PacMan or Ryu. He's had a lot of crossovers, and DLC is coming for his game all the time + new amiibo so for an indie game he is one of the top contenders.

I've been against indies in Smash since day one (I wrote that post about Indies not being likely in Smash at the start of the ballot if you remember) and my feelings haven't changed.

I'll accept Shovel Knight if he's in it, and I'm sure he will be fun to play as. In the end its probably the interesting/ unique aspect of Shovel Knight that got him in. How many other character's in the roster use a Shovel as a weapon? Are Knights? Are light blue? That's probably why he got in (besides the large amount of suggestions).

@Aeris and I talked about how if SK is in, the two newcomers are 3rd party. It's almost a theme. Maybe they are using Dlc for 3rd parties because it's easier to negotiate the rights/ distribute the profits. After all they did stress you could vote for whoever you wanted to.

I get why people are both upset or happy that he got in (again, if the rumor is true). At the end of the day, it's not the end of the world.
I had to Like this, even though I'm strongly opposed to your feelings on Indies in Smash - but I commend your well-written stance. It's too bad we can't all politely disagree this way.

For me, it's important to see any Indie get into Smash - Shovel Knight is my top pick, but I'd be just as happy with Shantae, Quote, Commander Video, Spelunky... I could go on. Indie gaming as a genre has been around forever, and it's really taken off in the last 5 years or so. People attack the genre with sales comparisons and history, but that's just it; Their biggest problem is that they're late to the party. The theatre of gaming is already full of top-notch memorable characters and beloved games, so it's difficult for them to curry the amount of support they might've had years ago. Factors like these are often ignored when people drop numbers - "oh, Shovel Knight's sales are abysmal, when compared to Mario." Of course they are. You're comparing a squirt gun to a machine-gun nest.

With Indie games, it's less about sales and history - it's about celebrating the passion of creating a game, that burn of creative expression. They represent something that we all too often notice missing from big-budget games of our age, and what we should all strive to expect from gaming's future. These are developers who have a burning desire to get their ideas out there in the form of a video game, and they're every bit as passionate as the developers who made the games we grew up with. Can you imagine Inafune and his team working on Mega Man 2 in their spare time, aside from other work they were doing for Capcom, simply because they loved the game that much? That's what we have with Indie studios today (maybe not all, but the notable ones at least). For them, it's not about sales figures, it's about hope.

(If, at the end of the day, all we get is costumes or an AT, then I'm A-OK with that. Largely, all I'm hungry for is SOME form of representation in Smash, and I never would've expected or asked for it if we didn't already have a trophy. I'd settle for the silver or bronze medal.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I want an Anna costume
And FE has enough characters to base off Mii Swordfighter costumes
Or EO costumes but who am I fooling

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
This all seems too safe for a person like Sakurai.

He loves too piss off the man-children.
Sakurai isn't that crazy. You guys are making him out like he's a trollmaster, when really it's moreso unintentional. He isn't Ed Boon where he's intentionally screwing with everyone or Harada where he tells everyone if they don't like his ideas then go jump offa cliff

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Heeey, I was just about to tag you and ask where you've been for this. Can't say I blame you for wanting to keep your hands clean of this one though :D

I had to Like this, even though I'm strongly opposed to your feelings on Indies in Smash - but I commend your well-written stance. It's too bad we can't all politely disagree this way.

For me, it's important to see any Indie get into Smash - Shovel Knight is my top pick, but I'd be just as happy with Shantae, Quote, Commander Video, Spelunky... I could go on. Indie gaming as a genre has been around forever, and it's really taken off in the last 5 years or so. People attack the genre with sales comparisons and history, but that's just it; These are developers who have a burning desire to get their ideas out there in the form of a video game, and they're every bit as passionate as the developers who made the games we grew up with. Can you imagine Inafune and his team working on Mega Man 2 in their spare time, aside from other work they were doing for Capcom, simply because they loved the game that much? That's what we have with Indie studios today (maybe not all, but the notable ones at least).

Their biggest problem is that they're late to the party; The theatre of gaming is already full of top-notch memorable characters and beloved games, so it's difficult for them to curry the amount of support they might've had years ago. Factors like these are often ignored when people drop numbers - "oh, Shovel Knight's sales are abysmal, when compared to Mario." Of course they are. You're comparing a squirt gun to a machine-gun nest.

Bottom line, with Indie games it's less about sales and history - it's about celebrating the passion of creating a game, that burn of creative expression. They represent something that we all too often notice missing from big-budget games of our age, and what we should all strive to expect from gaming's future. It's not about sales figures, it's about hope.

(If, at the end of the day, all we get is costumes or an AT, then I'm A-OK with that. Largely, all I'm hungry for is SOME form of representation in Smash, and I never would've expected or asked for it if we didn't already have a trophy. I'd settle for the silver or bronze medal.)
I understand that passion, and I have a lot of respect for indie developers. In a lot of ways, I can personally relate to their situation. Source Gaming is a passion of mine, and I make 0 profit on it. In fact, I'm currently running the blog at a loss. I see SG as an amateur-created and run news blog. If you were to compare the situation; Kotaku, Destructoid,etc are the 'cream of the crop' in terms recognition and appeal. If there was a web site portal, that collected all the 'all star' video game news sites, I would not expect SG to appear on there at all. SG has very limited appeal as we are aimed at the MOST 'hardcore' Smash fans. I'd expect 'Nintendo Everything' to appear on the list long before SG.

I think indie games are pushing for innovation, and are providing games that (sometimes) appeal to the ignored, niche audiences. Indie Game the Movie is probably my favorite documentary of all time. I'm a huge fan of Edmund McMillen, and I've been following his work since high school. In the end, I just don't think Smash is the place for indie representation. (Sorry if the SG analogy was weird).

Huarbolo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
huarbolo
3DS FC
1435-5887-5069
Anyone know the fastest way to unlock custom moves on Wii U? I've heard some good things about Crazy Orders (even though they look hard as ****)

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
Anyone know the fastest way to unlock custom moves on Wii U? I've heard some good things about Crazy Orders (even though they look hard as ****)
If you have Quick Batter / First Striker / Home-Run Bat equipment, Crazy Orders is a good way to get most of them (I think all of those effects are on challenge rewards on the 3DS version, if that helps). Then, play Trophy Rush as individual characters once you're down to 30 - 50 or so remaining.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Do the Target Blast Ganondorf method. If you don't know it, this is how you do it:

Step 1: Go to Target Blast stage 2.

Step 2: Play a round with the character you want customs for.

Step 3: Exit out and then select Ganondorf; the customs you get will be biased towards the character you used last, not the character you're currently using.

Step 4: Keep restarting until a custom target appears.

Step 5: When one does, just Warlock Punch; just doing a Warlock Punch both rounds will get all the red targets but two, and you can get those other two targets by timing your Warlock Punch right with the big bomb so it blows up near them.

Step 6: DO NOT EXIT OUT; as long as you don't go back to the CSS, the customs will still be biased towards the character you used last instead of towards Ganondorf. So just hit retry.

Step 7: Continue until you get all the custom moves for the character currently queued up, then start this over with the next character you need customs for.

This method gets you new customs at a high rate, especially if you got a significant portion of the customs already, and is very unintensive, enough so that you can easily do it while doing something else. If you have a turbo controller, you can even make it completely automatic. By this method I went from about half the customs to all of them in a couple of days, getting a new custom move about every 5-10 minutes, without having to focus my time on it.

Some others though swear by doing All-Star on Hard. If you decide to do it by All-Star instead, remember you can just kill yourself on the final round and still get all the rewards you can from a playthrough. So killing yourself on the final round will save you some time if you already beaten All-Star with the character you're using.

Whatever you do though, you should stop with Crazy Orders. It's really inefficient unless you have barely any customs, and it has a high margin of error that can make a lot of your work go to waste.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom