• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
So a Shovel Knight amiibo, well, while this doesn't confirm him, he's not disconfirmed either. The only thing to do now is wait.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Umm you don't need to tell me what time it is in the UK, I live in the UK, I tought I made that obvious when the 4th July happened in the USA '-_-
I wasn't telling you, dear. I was using your comment as a means to convey to others what time it is.

I've never spoken to you before. Please calm down, okay?

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I wonder why if Shovel Knight is a ballot character, he's the only one a part of the leak.
If he's the only one in the next wave of DLC, it'll be a pretty strong indicator that there's not a whole lot of DLC left.

@Tama, I don't suppose you know anything about Shantae, or any other characters, do you? I mean, SK can't be the only one, right.......?
Shovel Knight has nothing to do with Shantae, and his presence would hurt her chances as much as it would help them.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I have a theory regarding Smash Bros.'s DLC.
If Shovel Knight is confirmed, it lines up with my (probably way off) theory perfectly.

First, DLC is extra, optional content. It's not reflective of what should or shouldn't be in the game. Mario Kart 8 proves this, with DLC that features both outlandish crossovers (F-Zero, Animal Crossing, and The Legend of Zelda) and cross-promotion (Mercedes Benz vehicles).
Neither of those things would be in the base game, but it's okay for them to be DLC. I think that a similar line of thinking is applied to Shovel Knight as DLC for Smash.

My theory is that the DLC for Smash 4 (and Shovel Knight) is not taken as seriously as the base game, the Ballot is being used to decide the next game's roster, and that Ballot-related decisions are already being made.
The way the Fighter Ballot was described when it was first revealed supports this -they said it would also affect the development of future games.
The current DLC roster and the Mii costumes support this too. We have three veterans but one newcomer who wasn't really thought about, Ryu, and two of the most highly requested characters, King K. Rool and Inklings, have been made into Mii costumes.

This shows they opted not to develop many first-party newcomers, in order to save them for the next Smash, instead making them Mii costumes as consolation. Meanwhile adding cut veterans back is not nearly as much of an undertaking. Lucas reuses his voice assets and possibly data from Brawl, Roy is a semi-clone of Marth, and neither needed new movesets.

Meanwhile, Shovel Knight could have been chosen because of a combination of the following reasons:

- He is highly requested from the Ballot
- The IP holder (Yacht Club Games) has a good relationship with Nintendo and was easy to work with
- Their game is getting a lot of buzz from updates and is relevant (promotion)
- Unlike King K. Rool and Inklings, there's no guarantee Shovel Knight will be popular in the future, so Nintendo decided it was better to strike the (earth!) iron while it was hot and have him as guest DLC

So, in short

- The Ballot is already being used for DLC decisions
- Shovel Knight isn't held to the same standards as the other fighters, he's just extra
- King K. Rool and Inklings are being saved for the next game because they are being held to a standard, and the Mii costumes are consolation

Again, this is just my theory. I honestly wrote way more than I expected, lol.

Last edited:

backlot

Smash Journeyman
I hope they show off the amiibo in physical form tonight. If there's a giant, clear plastic stand hidden behind that shovel we'll know for sure he's in Smash.

D

Deleted member

I hope they show off the amiibo in physical form tonight. If there's a giant, clear plastic stand hidden behind that shovel we'll know for sure he's in Smash.
I don't think they would give him a Smash stand before his announcement
That would be too dumb

Last edited by a moderator:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
If Shovel Knight is confirmed, it lines up with my (probably way off) theory perfectly.

First, DLC is extra, optional content. It's not reflective of what should or shouldn't be in the game. Mario Kart 8 proves this, with DLC that features both outlandish crossovers (F-Zero, Animal Crossing, and The Legend of Zelda) and cross-promotion (Mercedes Benz vehicles).
Neither of those things would be in the base game, but it's okay for them to be DLC. I think that a similar line of thinking is applied to Shovel Knight as DLC for Smash.

My theory is that the DLC for Smash 4 (and Shovel Knight) is not taken as seriously as the base game, the Ballot is being used to decide the next game's roster, and that Ballot-related decisions are already being made.
The way the Fighter Ballot was described when it was first revealed supports this -they said it would also affect the development of future games.
The current DLC roster and the Mii costumes support this too. We have three veterans but one newcomer who wasn't really thought about, Ryu, and two of the most highly requested characters, King K. Rool and Inklings, have been made into Mii costumes.

This shows they opted not to develop many first-party newcomers, in order to save them for the next Smash, instead making them Mii costumes as consolation. Meanwhile adding cut veterans back is not nearly as much of an undertaking. Lucas reuses his voice assets and possibly data from Brawl, Roy is a semi-clone of Marth, and neither needed new movesets.

Meanwhile, Shovel Knight could have been chosen because of a combination of the following reasons:

- The IP holder (Yacht Club Games) has a good relationship with Nintendo and was easy to work with
- Unlike King K. Rool and Inklings, there's no guarantee Shovel Knight will be popular in the future, so Nintendo decided it was better to strike the (earth!) iron while it was hot and have him as guest DLC

So, in short

- Shovel Knight isn't held to the same standards as the other fighters, he's just extra
- King K. Rool and Inklings are being saved for the next game because they are being held to a standard, and the Mii costumes are consolation

You know, it is so weird. I've been having a similar idea for about 2 1/2 months now...Bear with me here, cause this is my (admittedly painful) theory, I don't WANT this to happen, but it's been on my mind for a while now. I get the feeling that the things we've all suggested on the Smash Ballot are NOT going to added for DLC, but will ALL be used for Smash 5.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866

So, in short

One of my outlandish theories on the ballot was that because Nintendo is allowing any video game character to be requested, they truely are looking at a WIDE variety of votes. That's not to say that the more outlandish ones are going to happen (characters that have never appeared on a Nintendo console, characters who aren't even video game characters, etc.) but they might just be looking for popular 3rd parties in the ballot.

But that's ridiculous and the chances of that being the case are extremely low. :p

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
The amiibo is confirmed?
Official source now? It's real ?
------------------------------------------------------
Anyway... I'm happy with this leak because IS A BELIEVABLE LEAK \0\.
I don't see this guys posting, reading, and raging like this since... Leak groups, or maybe the Rayman thing.
I still don't want Shovel Knight as playable, but I'm now in process of accepting the idea.
I think I'll just surrender about DK characters.
DK must be "that game with the stupid monkey" to Sakurai :c.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Hey guys, last night I made a ton of weird comments. I was actually on my 3DS trying to respond to the thread. Try out this thread on the 3DS if you wanna experience my suffering.

@ backlot backlot This is the reason why I made those posts replying to you and trrying to quote you. I apologise for bringing this back up but I feel it should be covered.
I didn't intend to offend anybody last night. I did not know you perceived me as being rude. Apologies.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
You know, it is so weird. I've been having a similar idea for about 2 1/2 months now...Bear with me here, cause this is my (admittedly painful) theory, I don't WANT this to happen, but it's been on my mind for a while now. I get the feeling that the things we've all suggested on the Smash Ballot are NOT going to added for DLC, but will ALL be used for Smash 5.
I don't see where you're getting this idea from.

Shovel Knight is a pretty popular request. Him making it into the game would be proof that they're listening, if anything.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
One of my outlandish theories on the ballot was that because Nintendo is allowing any video game character to be requested, they truely are looking at a WIDE variety of votes. That's not to say that the more outlandish ones are going to happen (characters that have never appeared on a Nintendo console, characters who aren't even video game characters, etc.) but they might just be looking for popular 3rd parties in the ballot.

But that's ridiculous and the chances of that being the case are extremely low. :p
Actually I think you're spot on. Nintendo said "any video game character", people asked for Shovel Knight, they're getting him.

I should mention I have speculated Shovel Knight for these reasons for quite a while.
In fact the reason I started supporting him spawned from me doing a double take from people outright dismissing him and hating on him.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I don't see where you're getting this idea from.

Shovel Knight is a pretty popular request. Him making it into the game would be proof that they're listening, if anything.
Yeah, I should be more specific. Like @KenithTheGatherer said, characters like King K. Rool, or even the Inklings may be added Smash 4 DLC, in no way am I going to rule that option out, ESPECIALLY for those guys, but there could be that very, very small chance that they get added in Smash 5 instead, you know, for the reason of really getting the hype moving and whatnot. Don't get me wrong, I still don't exactly want that to necessarily happen, as I want them as well, and I'm almost certain that they are som of the MOST requested characters, along with SK, who again, I would love to see in Smash.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
What did you even do to the guy?
Nothing, actually. I never @'d him or anything. I did say that he may not be reliable and linked to a pic of various things he messed up on but it was not my pic. I just said he may not be reliable and didn't even @ him, so..

You should probably know that he signed up for an account here...
Okay?

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I'm going to create a daily poll for Rare characters, what characters do you recommend?
I already did Banjo.
Rattle & Roll
Cooper Chance
Horsetachio
Joanna Dark
Rash
Zitz
Pimple
Mumbo Jumbo
Gruntilda
Conker
Rodent