• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
If he's going to try and fool me he has to at least judge the possibility of a character because he knows them or not
Who's to say he's trying to fool you? For all you know, it's his legitimate opinion, but because you're being blinded by what I can only describe as fanboyism, you ignore the possibility of him simply not knowing anything about the character.

All I know about Bandana Dee is that it's a fat thing with a spear, does that mean I'm playing dumb when saying stuff about the character because LOL I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Goombella sure, but I mean the real salty kind who sarcastically ask for a plain goomba. Plain until they try to think of a recovery move that doesn't involve them turning into a paragoomba.

Goombella seems to be the closest the Paper Mario series has to a consistent character though with her trophies in Smash and her text only cameo in Sticker Star
or just put paper mario, but goombella tattles :)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Well **** you too
See. Now not only petty you're being, you're being rude.

I'm trying to point out how your logic you're using is making you look no better than the guy making the Shovel Knight claims and instead of responding with any sort of class or acknowledgement, you give me this.

I haven't had any issues with you, seriously, but you're not exactly helping your arguments or cases when you handle them this way.

Last edited:

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Okay, now the Smashboards website is reporting on the possibility of Shovel Knight being playable, and it's negative, I mean dislike bar disabled negative. A character like Shovel Knight has no reason to be in Smash, and this has just gotten out of hand.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Who's to say he's trying to fool you? For all you know, it's his legitimate opinion, but because you're being blinded by what I can only describe as fanboyism, you ignore the possibility of him simply not knowing anything about the character.

All I know about Bandana Dee is that it's a fat thing with a spear, does that mean I'm playing dumb when saying stuff about the character because LOL I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING?
I know what Swamp said, but because you guys clearly don't get what the **** I'm trying to say, allow me to explain. He's extremely confident in a character who's kind of a nobody. Then he says 'Don't know, therefore probably not happening' with a different character. THAT'S what I got mad about

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm talking about characters from the same series
Midna appeared only in TP
Impa has appeared in OoT, Oos, OoA, SS and ALBW
*sigh*
Being an *** about it certainly won't convince me
Again number of appearances =/= popularity/notoriety

Impa appears in five games, yes, but she has a minor role in all but one. She exists only in the lore of the first two Zelda games, and was a small supporting character in Ocarina of Time and the Oracle games. She doesn't do much, she didn't have an impact until Skyward Sword and Hyrule Warriors (which Midna is also in).

Midna only appears in one canon, Twilight Princess, but she is probably the reason that game is still talked about favorably. It also happens to be one of the best selling Zelda games.
She made a huge impact. She even got a fansite with an initiative to get her in a new game.

Why do you think they chose to reveal Midna alongside Zelda for Hyrule Warriors at last year's E3?
She also had two pieces of merchandise, a figurine and a pricey light-up statue with Wolf Link made by First 4 Figures.
Speaking of Hyrule Warriors, if Impa is so noteworthy how come the new gashapon series for that game doesn't have her? It has Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, and...Lana.

Appearances =/= popularity.

EDIT: Are you referring to me, Swamp?

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I know what Swamp said, but because you guys clearly don't get what the **** I'm trying to say, allow me to explain. He's extremely confident in a character who's kind of a nobody. Then he says 'Don't know, therefore probably not happening' with a different character. THAT'S what I got mad about
If his insider info he's claiming to has tells him that character is in, of course he's going to be confident about it.

But Bandana Dee also isn't exactly a character to get uppity about either.

It's very common for someone to have insider info about something but not know everything about that something or company.

I can recall games past for franchises like Street Fighter, etc, where the leaker was truthful, but didn't know certain characters when asked about them, and that's all people are trying to get across to you.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Regardless of whether it's true or not, there's a logical explanation.

Tamaki can be confident about a nobody because he supposedly has insider information. If he had insider information on any other character, then he'd say it like he is now. The difference is that the character he supposedly has information on is a perceived nobody. And really, a lot of people say "lol not happening" with characters they don't know or don't care about, this isn't a stigma unique to Tamaki.

Now, whether you get mad about it or not is ultimately your problem and something I can't change.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
She also had two pieces of merchandise, a figurine and a pricey light-up statue with Wolf Link made by First 4 Figures.
Speaking of Hyrule Warriors, if Impa is so noteworthy how come the new gashapon series for that game doesn't have her? It has Link, Zelda, Ganondorf, and...Lana.
Well, you do have to realize Link, Zelda and Ganondorf are the three main characters of the franchise Hyrule Warriors is a spin-off of and Lana is the key new character created for it.

So that makes sense in a marketing way and has nothing to do with Impa, Midna, or literally anyone else in the game.

Soul.

The only thing I don't understand is the overwhelming negativity people always have for a character's inclusion to a game, not just Shovel Knight, but every single character.

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
The only thing I don't understand is the overwhelming negativity people always have for a character's inclusion to a game; not just Shovel Knight, but every single character.
Simple.

Not the character they want. You literally need nothing else said.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Again number of appearances =/= popularity/notoriety

Impa appears in five games, yes, but she has a minor role in all but one. She exists only in the lore of the first two Zelda games, and was a small supporting character in Ocarina of Time and the Oracle games. She doesn't do much, she didn't have an impact until Skyward Sword and Hyrule Warriors (which Midna is also in).

Midna only appears in one canon, Twilight Princess, but she is probably the reason that game is still talked about favorably. It also happens to be one of the best selling Zelda games.
She made a huge impact. She even got a fansite with an initiative to get her in a new game.

Why do you think they chose to reveal Midna alongside Zelda for Hyrule Warriors at last year's E3?

Appearances =/= popularity.

EDIT: Are you referring to me, Swamp?
See? Not so hard to argue
Points taken but
You're seriously using HW as an argument?
When Impa was the first character announced to be playable after Link?
And along the Triforce Trio to get a redesign?
HW helps Midna as much as it does to Ghirahim

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
We are literally arguing over an "informant's" prediction/rumor over a character who probably has a limited chance of getting in Smash and everyone is just getting warnings and bans.

**** Tamaki, he should just keep his mouth shut sometimes with his arrogance and delusional people are gonna get ploy into believing it because he has sources

'Sources' that we have to give him credit for, Push already pointed out his crap and this has gone over the top, he was straight playing around yesterday and now we should take him seriously. I'm done

Chrono.

The only thing I don't understand is the overwhelming negativity people always have for a character's inclusion to a game, not just Shovel Knight, but every single character.
No place on the internet is a hivemind, you'll find different opinions everywhere.

Sometimes the negatives may look like they over weigh the positives, but it's all part of a very vocal minority.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
So are we just taking it at his word that he has multiple sources? IF there were multiple sources you'd think they'd have talked to someone else.

And to think for so long we wanted a rumor/link to discuss.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
While he's an ass and has been wrong, I can't help but feel if he had said anyone but Shovel Knight, hell even Shantae, people would be all up in his grill, praising him and his sources.

You can play like your only angry about his attitude, but some of this is salt about the character he eith chose to say is coming or unlikely but potentially true information that someone you didn't want is coming.

This wouldn't really be happening nearly as badly or negatively if he had said ''Ridley" or ''K.Rool" or ''Dixie." or ''Toad", etc.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
There are many different reasons. They tend to vary from time to time.

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
Everyone knows Impa
She's in almost every Zelda game since OoT
Even if not by her "young ninja" appearences, she's still known at least as "exposition old lady"
Midna has almost no notoriety, appearing in only one game doesn't help her
Also, don't compare Midna and Furry lady to the cinnamon roll
Isabelle is far more relevant and recognizable in every single aspect

Salt in person
Impa maybe known by every Zelda fan, but she really isn't anyone's favourite like Midna is.
Are you counting cameos and references as well? Cause she's only been in 4 more canon Zelda games after OoT, those being Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Season, Skyward Sword and A Link Between Worlds.
Midna is still really popular with Zelda fans, since they want to see her again. Also she is pretty important to Twilight Princess' story.
Midna was a breakout character for Twilight Princess, and Isabelle was a breakout character for Animal Crossing New Leaf, sorry mate but they can be compared to each other. And well Krystal is a whole different ball game, but she is at least as well known as Wolf in the Starfox community
Yeah sure bring in the fact Isabelle introduces a new mechanic to Animal Crossing, while Midna is a part of the partner system in Zelda that has Link get new partners every game, to help them fit into the games narrative. Not really fair to use that against Midna is it.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Points taken but
You're seriously using HW as an argument?
When Impa was the first character announced to be playable after Link?
And along the Triforce Trio to get a redesign?
HW helps Midna as much as it does to Ghirahim
What's wrong with me using Hyrule Warriors as an argument? Would you prefer I dismiss it? Because you do realize that is where a large fraction of Impa's popularity comes from?
Yes, she was announced after Link, but she was not announced at E3. She wasn't hyped up.
See? Not so hard to argue
This kind of reply is why I don't like to argue.
I'm done. You want to argue over nothing some one, PM me. I came here to discuss the Shovel Knight rumour, not get wrapped up defending the characters I like. >.>

Last edited:

Soul.

Not wanting the character is fine, but it's been proven that you can't please everyone even if the roster has, hypothetically, a million characters.

And I don't mean to enter the typical argumentative phase as I don't really bother with character speculation, even if there are experts on this thing. Opinions are opinions, though. I guess.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
You know, I always thought Waddle Dee was some kind of mutated marshmallow given life. It'd explain why Kirby is the homicidal omnivore he is. He can't stop. To him, they're a marshmallow, sugar filled addiction.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

While he's an *** and has been wrong, I can't help but feel if he had said anyone but Shovel Knight, hell even Shantae, people would be all up in his grill, praising him and his sources.

You can play like your only angry about his attitude, but some of this is salt about the character he eith chose to say is coming or unlikely but potentially true information that someone you didn't want is coming.

This wouldn't really be happening nearly as badly or negatively if he had said ''Ridley" or ''K.Rool" or ''Dixie." or ''Toad", etc.
This can be proven with Mii Costumes
Inkling Mii Costumes? Deconfirmed!
K. Rool Mii Kostume? HE STILL HAS A CHANCE GAIZ!!1!

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Impa maybe known by every Zelda fan, but she really isn't anyone's favourite like Midna is.
Speaking in such broad strokes is not wise.

For she is far more a favorite of mine than Midna and I say that as someone who likes Midna as well.

Also @:4diddy: would like words with you.

Chrono.

There's not a lot to say about this imo.

This isn't even a "leak", it's just one guy's word with a lot of vague connotations to it.

So far the most interesting thing has been that quote @Wintropy relayed a couple pages back.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
While he's an *** and has been wrong, I can't help but feel if he had said anyone but Shovel Knight, hell even Shantae, people would be all up in his grill, praising him and his sources.

Well, to be fair, all of those characters are more believable as DLC than a third-party character who is just "any third-party character" despite Sakurai explicitly saying he won't choose just any third-party characters. And yes, the only time he explicitly changed his mind on characters so far was :4villager:. Every other instance of Sakurai "changing" his mind was just fans misinterpreting what he was really saying in the first place.

This can be proven with Mii Costumes
Inkling Mii Costumes? Deconfirmed!
K. Rool Mii Kostume? HE STILL HAS A CHANCE GAIZ!!1!
There were still plenty of people who did, and still do, believe they could make it in as Smash DLC. It's just that most people think they are more likely to be saved for Smash 5.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Not wanting the character is fine, but it's been proven that you can't please everyone even if the roster has, hypothetically, a million characters.

And I don't mean to enter the typical argumentative phase as I don't really bother with character speculation, even if there are experts on this thing. Opinions are opinions, though. I guess.
I'd say in this scenario that people have a right to be pissed off (if Shovel Knight is in fact in).

This is a Nintendo cross over, and it's been explicitly stated multiple times, with no room for mistranslations or errors that Sakurai will not just add "any" guest character. So why wouldn't people be pissed off if they don't want a random GUEST character?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom