• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
To be fair and honest to the guy (even though he's a jerk) most people in the general gaming audience that don't play Nintendo games or just people who played them in the past that I show the Kirby characters too?

They only recognize Kirby and sometimes go ''Oh yeah, I forgot about that guy!" @Dedede.

Bandana Dee's importance and reach has been over-estimated. He's kind of like a start up version of Toad. He could be Kirby's Toad, but just hasn't put in the appearances of Toad yet.
Fair enough, but like @ Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen said, he should at least be aware of requested characters if he's going to say which ones are coming.

I don't understand this reference.
Eminem.

Chrono.

Bandana Dee isn't really well known to the general public, and for good reason.

He only started to breakout into a main role in more recent entries, and Kirby is a series that doesn't get as much exposure nowadays.

That being said, it is pretty strange that this guy doesn't even know who he is, considering he's from freaking Unseen 64.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Yeah, you probably forgot what Smash is all about.

It's not all about "OMG, I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING!!! SAKURAI IS SUCH A TROLL, LOL!!!" Yes, surprises are cool, but to an extent.

This game is about seeing Nintendo characters and iconic third-party characters duke it out. If it were all about surprises, we would probably be seeing Reckless Wiimote Safety Guy in the game, but it's not.
....or you misunderstood what I wrote.

I didn't even say anything about Sakurai being a troll.

Just his viable ''OMG YES ALLSTAR!" choices are limited.

Hell, everyone has wanted Rayman for a while (including me), but I don't really think he's a huge all-star of gaming on the level of practically anyone who has been third party in Smash, that includes Snake.

It's not about surprise, but rather the fact, there's going to be more of them, because he has less all-stars in general to pick from, he pretty much rounded off most of the major Nintendo ones already in Brawl.

Added a few more in this one, while forgoing some others in favor of newcomers to franchises that had more potential, got Mega Man and Pac-Man in the base game, then Ryu in DLC to represent fighting games in general.

But barring new IPS and breakout stars in main series (think a Rosalina for example) and continued success of newer ones like Isabelle and such, he doesn't really have much left to fufill the role of ''Nintendo allstar" to add.

Even further characters in neglected series like Zelda, F-Zero, etc aren't going to be allstars, they'll be ''Remember that cool guy or gal? Here he/she is!"

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
As a side-note, if Bandana Dee does get in he'll probably just be called Waddle Dee.

And Mario fans will start demanding a playable Goomba in response.
Goombella for Smash please.
I'll take Goombario too. Make it a Robin kind of male and female alt.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord

Hell, everyone has wanted Rayman for a while (including me), but I don't really think he's a huge all-star of gaming on the level of practically anyone who has been third party in Smash, that includes Snake.

It's not about surprise, but rather the fact, there's going to be more of them, because he has less all-stars in general to pick from, he pretty much rounded off most of the major Nintendo ones already in Brawl.

Added a few more in this one, while forgoing some others in favor of newcomers to franchises that had more potential, got Mega Man and Pac-Man in the base game, then Ryu in DLC to represent fighting games in general.

But barring new IPS and breakout stars in main series (think a Rosalina for example) and continued success of newer ones like Isabelle and such, he doesn't really have much left to fufill the role of ''Nintendo allstar" to add.

Even further characters in neglected series like Zelda, F-Zero, etc aren't going to be allstars, they'll be ''Remember that cool guy or gal? Here he/she is!"
To be honest, I never thought of Rayman as an "AllStar" It's one thing for characters who are nintendo and not "all stars" like falcon, but Rayman was never really up high like Mario and Sonic. Of course thats my own opinion.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Define "nice".

I'm not sure about that...I think there's enough "Nintendo-All Stars" left for a whole group of newcomers.
If we expand the selection past just Mario characters, of course.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Goombella for Smash please.
I'll take Goombario too. Make it a Robin kind of male and female alt.
Goombella sure, but I mean the real salty kind who sarcastically ask for a plain goomba. Plain until they try to think of a recovery move that doesn't involve them turning into a paragoomba.

Goombella seems to be the closest the Paper Mario series has to a consistent character though with her trophies in Smash and her text only cameo in Sticker Star

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
To be honest, I never thought of Rayman as an "AllStar" It's one thing for characters who are nintendo and not "all stars" like falcon, but Rayman was never really up high like Mario and Sonic. Of course thats my own opinion.
It's a bit unfair to compare any 3rd Party characters to Sonic or Pac-Man tbh. But Rayman is a certifiable All-Star. He's had tv shows, spin offs, movies, all kinds of merch, a rich history of games, and a legacy.

The Rayman/Rabbids franchise has actually outsold Street Fighter, Metal Gear Solid and Mega Man.

SuperSegaSonicSS

The Inspired Artist
Nintendo twitter has just annonced Knuckles Mii brawler costume they said the next Smash direct will be after 2 days!
HYPE!!!

jk :troll: plz dont hurt me i was just bored...
Nintendo please hurry up! i am getting tired of waiting something huge to get announced :drsad:
As many has said at this point, this looks real. I don't know if you drew this or not but as a fellow artist, great job with this.

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight
He's supposed to have inside information. He should know quite a bit
Yeah he has inside information, maybe, but its pretty clear it isn't coming from Japan. You do remember where Hal Labs is based right?

Also its not unusual for someone to not know who Bandanna Dee, who doesn't play Kirby games, since to really know about Bandanna Dee, you need to know Kirby lore, which is something only fans would really know.

And again its clear he doesn't have sources in Japan, and Hal Labs does everything Kirby for Nintendo, and them being based in Japan, it isn't surprising at all this guy doesn't know about Bandanna Dee.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Define "nice".

I'm not sure about that...I think there's enough "Nintendo-All Stars" left for a whole group of newcomers.
If we expand the selection past just Mario characters, of course.
Taking Mario out of the equation (and thus characters that are shared with the Yoshi and Wario franchises)

3 tops for DK. (Dixie, K. Rool, Cranky)

1 for Kirby. ( B. Dee)

2 for AC (Nook and Isabelle)

1 or 2 for Sonic ( Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, MAYBE Shadow.)

1 or 2 for Star Fox (Wolf and Krystal)

1 for Zelda (which would be Tingle if anyone)

Any break out Pokemon the likes of Lucario and Greninja.

The latest Fire Emblem rep (and even then wow oversaturation)

Uhhhhh....that's really about it when it comes to franchises already in. Throw in Ridley who has no chance in hell and Inklings and you've pretty much got ''predictable" all stars.

And most of those are kind of secondary all-stars and not major has to be in every game of their franchise all-stars.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Taking Mario out of the equation (and thus characters that are shared with the Yoshi and Wario franchises)

3 tops for DK. (Dixie, K. Rool, Cranky)

1 for Kirby. ( B. Dee)

2 for AC (Nook and Isabelle)

1 or 2 for Sonic ( Tails, Knuckles, Eggman, MAYBE Shadow.)

1 or 2 for Star Fox (Wolf and Krystal)

1 for Zelda (which would be Tingle if anyone)

Any break out Pokemon the likes of Lucario and Greninja.

The latest Fire Emblem rep (and even then wow oversaturation)

Uhhhhh....that's really about it when it comes to franchises already in. Throw in Ridley who has no chance in hell and Inklings and you've pretty much got ''predictable" all stars.

And most of those are kind of secondary all-stars and not major has to be in every game of their franchise all-stars.
Forgetting someone in the Zelda department.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Comes home.

Reads online.

Shovel Knight for smash.

Looks at picture of Ridley

Slowly strokes picture.

Looks at calendar.

August 26th.

Is my birthday.

A tear drips from my eye

Last edited:

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Comes home.

Reads online.

Shovel Knight for smash.

Slowly strokes picture.

Looks at calendar.

August 26th.

Is my birthday.

A tear drips from my eye
Happy Birthday Break Ma- I mean Proto Ma- I mean Con0rrrr.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah he has inside information, maybe, but its pretty clear it isn't coming from Japan. You do remember where Hal Labs is based right?

Also its not unusual for someone to not know who Bandanna Dee, who doesn't play Kirby games, since to really know about Bandanna Dee, you need to know Kirby lore, which is something only fans would really know.

And again its clear he doesn't have sources in Japan, and Hal Labs does everything Kirby for Nintendo, and them being based in Japan, it isn't surprising at all this guy doesn't know about Bandanna Dee.
If he's going to predict characters he should at the very least characters who are requested. Bandana Dee isn't some Japan exclusive character from 1985 or something

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Forgetting someone in the Zelda department.
Impa? Because uhh...yeah, that's about the only other somewhat consistent Zelda character.

Zelda isn't getting reps for one reason.

Outside of the tri-force bearers everyone either comes and goes as they please (Impa), is massively divisive (Tingle), pretty much finished putting in appearances (Vaati), or just one offs unless counting spin-offs (Pretty much everyone else.)

I love Zelda's characters but that's kind of their sad truth.

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
If he's going to predict characters he should at the very least characters who are requested. Bandana Dee isn't some Japan exclusive character from 1985 or something
Sure, but to his defense he shouldn't have to be some Nintendo guru that knows anything and everything about the characters and where they're involved.
Hell, I forget characters from time to time.

Last edited:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Comes home.

Reads online.

Shovel Knight for smash.

Slowly strokes picture.

Looks at calendar.

August 26th.

Is my birthday.

A tear drips from my eye
Happy birthday hope its going great and don't forget #pichurevolution

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Sure, but to his defense he shouldn't have to be some Nintendo guru that knows anything and everything about the characters and where they're involved.
Hell, I forget characters from time to time.
You're implying you need to be a guru to know BDee. I'm sorry, that's outright wrong, he should goddamn know who is and isn't popular. He must be one of those arses who says fan popularity doesn't matter and that the Ballot is just a suggestion box then

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Impa? Because uhh...yeah, that's about the only other somewhat consistent Zelda character.

Zelda isn't getting reps for one reason.

Outside of the tri-force bearers everyone either comes and goes as they please (Impa), is massively divisive (Tingle), pretty much finished putting in appearances (Vaati), or just one offs unless counting spin-offs (Pretty much everyone else.)

I love Zelda's characters but that's kind of their sad truth.
number of appearances = notoriety.
Impa is recurring but nobody knows who she is unless you're a huge Zelda fan, or more likely, Smash fan.
The character I was citing, by the way, was Midna.
I hold she's easily as well-known as Krystal or Isabelle.
I'm not talking chances, by the way. Just notoriety.

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Comes home.

Reads online.

Shovel Knight for smash.

Slowly strokes picture.

Looks at calendar.

August 26th.

Is my birthday.

A tear drips from my eye
It's my Birthday too...

...Does that make me Mega Man? I mean they weren't built at the same time I don't think but still.

Last edited:

Starlight_Lily

Stage Overflowing with Starlight

All-Stars don't just have to refer to games that are poplar man to the level of something like Mario. '-_-

For other all-stars, we can get characters that are the main star of the game like Lip from Panel De Pon, a character from a game that is well liked, but not one everyone is crazy for like the Main character Savvy Style. Thinking that all-stars refers to only really popular characters would really destroy a lot of characters who can be considered all-stars.

An easy example would be Marvel's main super hero team the Avengers that is made up of their all-stars. And I'm pretty sure 2 of the founding members of the Avengers in the comics would not be seen as all-stars if it came to popularity, those 2 being Wasp and Antman, while yeah their well liked, but compared to the other founding members in the team, they're not really all that popular. By the way the other founding members of the Avengers in the comics are Ironman, Thor and The Incredible Hulk.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
You're implying you need to be a guru to know BDee. I'm sorry, that's outright wrong, he should goddamn know who is and isn't popular.
I wasn't implying anything, but to insult and belittle him because he didn't know one character is petty at best.

He must be one of those arses who says fan popularity doesn't matter and that the Ballot is just a suggestion box then
Because this is how you win arguments: baseless insulting and jumping to conclusions.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
You guys are nice.

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Can someone catch me up with all the details on this Shovel Knight thing? Is the video really it or is their more too it?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I wasn't implying anything, but to insult and belittle him because he didn't know one character is petty at best.

Because this is how you win arguments: baseless insulting and jumping to conclusions.
You defended him by saying he's isn't some guru. I'm sorry, but if you are unaware of a character from games that sold well, especially when said character is pretty high on fanpolls, then Takami's playing dumb

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
It's my Birthday too...

...Does that make me Mega Man? I mean they weren't built at the same time I don't think but still.
Nah it just means that more than likely our parents were both getting it on on either Christmas or New Years.

If that makes you feel any better

D

Deleted member

number of appearances = notoriety.
Impa is recurring but nobody knows who she is unless you're a huge Zelda fan, or more likely, Smash fan.
The character I was citing, by the way, was Midna.
I hold she's easily as well-known as Krystal or Isabelle.
I'm not talking chances, by the way. Just notoriety.
Everyone knows Impa
She's in almost every Zelda game since OoT
Even if not by her "young ninja" appearences, she's still known at least as "exposition old lady"
Midna has almost no notoriety, appearing in only one game doesn't help her
Also, don't compare Midna and Furry lady to the cinnamon roll
Isabelle is far more relevant and recognizable in every single aspect
I swear to god, If Shovel Knight get's in and Paper Mario doesn't, I'll have to hurt something
Salt in person

Fenriraga

Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
You guys are nice.

Thanks for the birthday wishes.

Can someone catch me up with all the details on this Shovel Knight thing? Is the video really it or is their more too it?
Everything the video says is pretty much all we got. "Reliable" inside sources, supposed amiibo, Yacht Club saying they had nintendo related news sometime around PAX, etc. People think he might be announced PAX prime, or announced fairly soon.
Oh and happy birthday long lost brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom