• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
You defended him by saying he's isn't some guru. I'm sorry, but if you are unaware of a character from games that sold well, especially when said character is pretty high on fanpolls, then Takami's playing dumb
Over one freaking character?! My God, I'm trying to understand but I can't. Is it really that big of a travesty to not know a damn Kirby enemy in a bandanna? No, it's not. And it shouldn't be.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
You know what? I hope Shovel Knight gets in. Not because I want this guy right. I could give a rat's ass what he thinks or says. I want Shovel Knight because I think he's a great addition and would cause mass chaos on this thread.

lel,
CroonerM

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
You defended him by saying he's isn't some guru. I'm sorry, but if you are unaware of a character from games that sold well, especially when said character is pretty high on fanpolls, then Takami's playing dumb
Animal Crossing Guy tho.

Seriously, you are being a little petty here.

Not knowing a niche Kirby character is like penalizing someone who watches and says they enjoy comic book movies for not knowing a character that only appears in comic books.

You don't have to be a walking encyclopedia of something to do or enjoy anything.

Even if you have insider information you're not going to have ALL the information either.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I'm just going to say it.

Shovel Knight won't be in Smash Bros.

We'll see Daisy before we see Shovel Knight.
Honestly speaking, considering that Sakurai explicitly said that he won't just have just any third-party character in and considering that Shovel Knight isn't really anything special in that regard, I don't believe for a moment he has a plausible chance of being in Smash 4 as DLC. Same with Shantae and any other obscure third-party character. If anything I'd expect Chibi-Robo to be DLC in Smash 4 more so than Shovel Knight.

I may be skeptical on the whole thing (as usual), but wouldn't that be more in line with where Shovel Knight is more popular?

Shovel Knight is more marketable outside of Japan, after all.

I was going to compare him with Japan-only characters Roy and Lucas, but they're veterans... Japan likely doesn't know a lot about Shovel Knight... Though his inclusion in Smash could be a marketing stunt... Isn't the game going to release in Japan somewhat soon?

Another thing: we have no idea if the criteria for character selection has changed from DLC. DLC, as a whole, is an unprecedented situation, after all. We know what are Sakurai's methods for selecting characters... for the main games, that is. Main game sales have the people buy the whole roster, so he has some freedom in regards to putting unpopular or unexpected characters.

I'm not defending this, but I don't think people should be shooting down it either. It may or may not happen. Both possibilities have their own good and bad things about them.
I think DLC sales being based purely on the appeal and popularity of individual characters is what is going to hurt obscure third-party in the end. Considering that Sakurai explicitly stated that obtaining the rights to use third-party characters are much more difficult than first-party character and the fact that every single third-party character we have ever gotten was legitimately iconic to a wider gaming audience, any benefits an obscure third-party character would bring would be outweighted by the cost relative to first party characters that are around the same level of recognizability or are even more iconic than them (any veteran character, Inklings, Dixie, Toad, any popular Pokemon character)

In short, there is a good reason why we got the third-party characters we did thorughout Smash history- because the cost of bringing them over is outweighted by the benefit of them being popular and recognizable to a greater gaming audience.

Chrono.

You know what? I hope Shovel Knight gets in. Not because I want this guy right. I could give a rat's *** what he thinks or says. I want Shovel Knight because I think he's a great addition and would cause mass chaos on this thread.

lel,
CroonerM
Living up to being "That Guy" I see :p

Hey anyone here know any good eShop games for less than $4.00? I'm looking for relaxing, yet addicting.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Everyone knows Impa
She's in almost every Zelda game since OoT
Even if not by her "young ninja" appearences, she's still known at least as "exposition old lady"
Midna has almost no notoriety, appearing in only one game doesn't help her
Also, don't compare Midna and Furry lady to the cinnamon roll
Isabelle is far more relevant and recognizable in every single aspect
Every single statement in this post is completely incorrect.
Except maybe the bit about Isabelle.
In fact, it's not even worth arguing over.

CroonerMike

Smash Lord

Hey anyone here know any good eShop games for less than $4.00? I'm looking for relaxing, yet addicting.
Did you try Binding of Isaac? It's really good. Box Boy is boring, but can get addicting. I LOVE Dr. Mario after a long day of class.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
As a Kirby fan, I'm baffled at the Bandanna Dee support.

Like, not even Toad can seem to get into Smash, and the only thing notable I can find about Dee is that he was made the obligatory fourth playable character in a time when that was the cool new thing and they had no one else to use.

Maybe I'm just not fan enough, since I favor the Sakurai games over the newer ones.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura

I think I saw a tab on the Wii U eShop homepage for "games under 5 dollars" with a bunch of Mario Coins on it. Might wanna look there.
I think Ducktales Remastered is on sale for 5 dollars if you're willing to go the extra Washington.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Animal Crossing Guy tho.

Seriously, you are being a little petty here.

Not knowing a niche Kirby character is like penalizing someone who watches and says they enjoy comic book movies for not knowing a character that only appears in comic books.

You don't have to be a walking encyclopedia of something to do or enjoy anything.

Even if you have insider information you're not going to have ALL the information either.
The Gematsu leak was partially right though. This guy is going 'HEY IMMA PREDICT YO SHIZZLES' and doesn't even look at anything outside what they know. Case and point, he'd have looked up BDee and not completely dismiss him because he doesn't know him

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
number of appearances = notoriety.
Impa is recurring but nobody knows who she is unless you're a huge Zelda fan, or more likely, Smash fan.
The character I was citing, by the way, was Midna.
I hold she's easily as well-known as Krystal or Isabelle.
I'm not talking chances, by the way. Just notoriety.
She's popular sure, but so are even less important to the series characters like Saria/Agitha/TwinRova, etc.

Zelda's got a lot of popular one-off characters, the problem is unlike Krystal, Isabelle or already in Rosalina is they just don't put in the appearances necessary to capture a spot in Smash.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
It's not a travesty unless you're trying to predict Ballot characters
So then he's supposed to be some Nintendo guru then? I'm sorry, but I still can't understand this nonsense. It's just one, freaking character. It's not that big of a deal.

I said this once, and I'll say it again: this is incredibly petty. Hell, this is petty even by petty standards.

D

Deleted member

he was made the obligatory fourth playable character in a time when that was the cool new thing and they had no one else to use.
You mean, like Tpad :p
Every single statement in this post is completely incorrect.
Except maybe the bit about Isabelle.
In fact, it's not even worth arguing over.
Simply saying my statements are incorrect without giving any arguments won't make them incorrect
I find funny the idea that a character from one game cam be more recognizable than a recurring one

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
@ Fenriraga Fenriraga Happy birthday hope your day is Megarific:4megaman::awesome:

@ Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen people barely know who meta knight and dedede are so it's fair to say that he doesn't know who Bdee who is in terms of importance below them.And true Bdee is a popular character but his fanbase really isn't as loud or vocal as the k rool or shantae one is

Soul.

So like I barely come here but just asking, throughout the life of this thread, has it always been about discussing who gets in or not?

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
You mean, like Tpad :p

Simply saying my statements are incorrect without giving any arguments won't make them incorrect
I find funny the idea that a character from one game cam be more recognizable than a recurring one
It's definetly possible. For example, the Duck Hunt Dog was always more iconic than Chibi-Robo.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I'm not elaborating because the logic you're using is inherently flawed and I'm positive I can't change your mind. So why bother.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Be right back I have to go shout at my friend Shane because he claims to enjoy Marvel comic book movies but this ******* don't know who the hell Pixie from the X-Men is.

How could you even begin to claim to be a Marvel fan if you don't know who the 7th take on the role Kitty Pryde introduced is?!

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
So like I barely come here but just asking, throughout the life of this thread, has it always been about discussing who gets in or not?
No. Generally it's Geno and our downfall into insanity. This is one of our off days.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
@ Fenriraga Fenriraga Happy birthday hope your day is Megarific:4megaman::awesome:

@ Cutie Gwen Cutie Gwen people barely know who meta knight and dedede are so it's fair to say that he doesn't know who Bdee who is in terms of importance below them.And true Bdee is a popular character but his fanbase really isn't as loud or vocal as the k rool or shantae one is
I'm not saying he's superduper 'makes you excited down there' popular but he literally based it on an assumption
So then he's supposed to be some Nintendo guru then? I'm sorry, but I still can't understand this nonsense. It's just one, freaking character. It's not that big of a deal.

I said this once, and I'll say it again: this is incredibly petty. Hell, this is petty even by petty standards.
Call me petty all you want, it doesn't change the fact he doesn't look at ****
'Probably pretty low' Anyway, Takami's a ****wit who's been desperate for attention, blablabla

D

Deleted member

It's definetly possible. For example, the Duck Hunt Dog was always more iconic than Chibi-Robo.
I'm talking about characters from the same series
Midna appeared only in TP
Impa has appeared in OoT, Oos, OoA, SS and ALBW
I'm not elaborating because the logic you're using is inherently flawed and I'm positive I can't change your mind. So why bother.
*sigh*
Being an ass about it certainly won't convince me

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Everyone knows Impa
She's in almost every Zelda game since OoT
Even if not by her "young ninja" appearences, she's still known at least as "exposition old lady"
Midna has almost no notoriety, appearing in only one game doesn't help her
Also, don't compare Midna and Furry lady to the cinnamon roll
Isabelle is far more relevant and recognizable in every single aspect

Salt in person
I'm allowed be "salt in person" if a one year old indie multiplatform character gets in before a over fifteen year old game series exclusively and very close to Nintendo's protagonist, also my most wanted character.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'm sorry, but if you are unaware of a character from games that sold well, especially when said character is pretty high on fanpolls, then Takami's playing dumb
It's entirely possible that a person doesn't follow Kirby or follow fanpolls and that's an excuse to automatically claim someone's playing dumb in regards to a statement of their own?

Pretty backwards logic.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm allowed be "salt in person" if a one year old indie multiplatform character gets in before a over fifteen year old game series exclusively and very close to Nintendo's protagonist, also my most wanted character.
You do know the circumstances of it don't matter and it's your reaction that do, right?

Soul.

I liked the days when this thread was discussing all things NX or something.
I wonder how the leak discussion will be the moment the Ballot ends.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Back.

Now who wants to discuss Nico Minoru with me?!

Oh wait, you don't know who Nico Minoru is?!

Well, **** all of ya'll. I'm not going to take it because you can say you like Marvel Comics, but the Runaways are a very popular cult comic book and you should know it's characters!

(See how petty this type of **** sounds?)

Last edited:

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
Call me petty all you want, it doesn't change the fact he doesn't look at ****
'Probably pretty low' Anyway, Takami's a ****wit who's been desperate for attention, blablabla
...You know, it's getting harder to take this conversation seriously. So I'm going to stop this here.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
You do know the circumstances of it don't matter and it's your reaction that do, right?
I don't really care if you think I reacted so "salty" and such, because imagine the character you've wanted for years loses to a character you strongly don't want to get in. That's me right now.

I think it's fine for me to be a bit upset.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Back.

Now who wants to discuss Nico Minoru with me?!

Oh wait, you don't know how Nico Minoru is?!

Well, **** all of ya'll. I'm not going to take it because you can say you like Marvel Comics, but the Runaways are a very popular cult comic book and you should know it's characters!

(See how petty this type of **** sounds?)
Well **** you too

D

Deleted member

I liked the days when this thread was discussing all things NX or something.
I wonder how the leak discussion will be the moment the Ballot ends.
The ballot ending doesn't affect speculation
Releasing all DLC does
I don't really care if you think I reacted so "salty" and such, because imagine the character you've wanted for years loses to a character you strongly don't want to get in. That's me right now.

I think it's fine for me to be a bit upset.
>Wanted Ridley pre release
>Didn't want but got Palutena and Dark Pit
Yeah, I know how salt tastes like and you're full of it :p

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Drop it you two. Any more of that and infractions come out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom