• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
To be honest, instead of over-saturating Smash with so much Pokemon, maybe they should do a spin-off of it. Like a cross between the gameplay of Pokemon and of Smash. I think it could work.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
Yes, I'm sure those Tumbaluh Special Snooflakz(tm by le reddot) are gonna take us out.

Also, Machamp would be a very cool Smash choice, though I'm wondering why people keep using the "promote the game" argument for so many characters.
Smash Bros is one of the best promotional tools available right now. I believe games like Xenoblade and Fire Emblem, for example, benefited greatly by being a part of Smash. Also, I have to believe Capcom wanted Ryu in as DLC to help promote Street Fighter V. That's not the only reason certain characters could/should be included in Smash, but it's certainly a factor for Nintendo (I believe that's part of the reason Greninja got in, to promote the newest Pokemon game).

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
What's up with the Pikachu Libre name? I know it's a play on Lucha Libre, which is Mexican professional wrestling. That said, "Pikachu Libre" literally translates to "Free Pikachu", which doesn't exactly make sense. They really should have named him Lucha Pikachu, which would translate to "Wrestling Pikachu". I know it's nitpicking, and most people won't even notice, but it seems like a bad oversight to me.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
What's up with the Pikachu Libre name? I know it's a play on Lucha Libre, which is Mexican professional wrestling. That said, "Pikachu Libre" literally translates to "Free Pikachu", which doesn't exactly make sense. They really should have named him Lucha Pikachu, which would translate to "Wrestling Pikachu". I know it's nitpicking, and most people won't even notice, but it seems like a bad oversight to me.
Why, it's obvious! We are playing as Team PETA/Plasma

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Some people are calling Pikachu Libre the next Dark Pit. Poor thing...

Smash Bros is one of the best promotional tools available right now. I believe games like Xenoblade and Fire Emblem, for example, benefited greatly by being a part of Smash. Also, I have to believe Capcom wanted Ryu in as DLC to help promote Street Fighter V. That's not the only reason certain characters could/should be included in Smash, but it's certainly a factor for Nintendo (I believe that's part of the reason Greninja got in, to promote the newest Pokemon game).
To some extent yes, but the thing is aside from maybe one example, none of the characters are added in with the intention of promoting something. Shulk wasn't added in because of what it could do for Xenoblade, he was added in because he was considered to be a character that would add to the game. Xenoblade's promotion wasn't the key factor that got him chosen, it was just a result of him being chosen.

The only example that it may not be the case is Greninja due to the whole "Pokémon from XY" thing, and even then he wouldn't have been chosen if he didn't bring a moveset that Sakurai liked.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
If anything Libre Pikachu is the equivilant too:
:4mario:-:4drmario:
Yes they are both Pikachu. But one is wearing a different attire and is female.
And who knows they might be completely different in play styles.
One could be more faster and have less power. As Dr Mario is to Mario.
First of all, Pikachu Libre is based off of a unique Tekken character, that says enough.
Second, does this mean Dr Mario is female?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Dude how much money do you have? Is it enough to be able to buy the arcade cabinet of F-Zero AX of them? Cause it'd be really cool if you did buy that cabinet, so that it doesn't get destroyed and we lose a piece of Nintendo's arcade history, cause AX is actually really rare.
I have nowhere near enough to buy it, and I doubt disney is selling it. It was very popular last night. I had no clue there were little left.

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.
First of all, Pikachu Libre is based off of a unique Tekken character, that says enough.
Second, does this mean Dr Mario is female?
Not a Big Fan of Tekken so didn't know this.
Secondly when did I specifically say Dr Mario was female.
I stated that Libre Pikachu is different because she is female. Dr Mario is wearing a different attire to Mario. As Libre Pika is to Pikachu.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
Changing the subject really quickly, I just wanted to post this video from GameXplain about a Metroid inspired Mario Maker level. This is the kind of thing that gets me excited about this game and is what I hope more people do. It's a creative design, not a crazy, chaotic, frantic one. I hope to see more levels like this.

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Eh not that big of a deal.Every fighter has clones.I mean i would pefer them to use pichu/raichu if they needed a clone but this is ok

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
:4link: plz
Also, how the flying **** is a character with a different moveset like Dark Pit? This is the Pokken equivelant of Paper Mario getting in Smash if anything
I think people are just throwing the accusation at her since both are Pikachus and they wanted an entirely different Pokémon instead (just like how people wanted a different character from Dark Pit). It also could be because, as TvTropes said, they would've preferred the luchador moveset was handed off to Hawlucha instead and thus she's taking his "slot" so to speak.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Not a Big Fan of Tekken so didn't know this.
Secondly when did I specifically say Dr Mario was female.
I stated that Libre Pikachu is different because she is female. Dr Mario is wearing a different attire to Mario. As Libre Pika is to Pikachu.
Twas a joke milord
I think people are just throwing the accusation at her since both are Pikachus and they wanted an entirely different Pokémon instead (just like how people wanted a different character from Dark Pit). It also could be because, as TvTropes said, they would've preferred the luchador moveset was handed off to Hawlucha instead and thus she's taking his "slot" so to speak.
Tekken has MULTIPLE wrestlers so Hawlucha isn't really out yet
Because now people can actually say work went into a character instead of it being a freebie.

For some this is much worse :p like me
That'scause you hate Pikachu. I usually hate the ******* too, but I love Libre
nu gaiz iz legiz

D

Deleted member

Machamp moveset for Smash:
Entrance: much like other Pokemon, Machamp enters the battle through a Pokeball, after that, showing off his muscles to the screen
Jab: two punches followed up by a rapid jab while screaming MUDAMUDAMUDAMUDA finishing with a low punch
Side-Tilt: Karate Chop-with an open hand, he swings it in front of him in an horizontal manner
Up-Tilt: both of his upper arms close in an arching manner, sweetspot at the fist collision
Down-Tilt: Low Kick- damage is greater the heavier the opponent is
Dash Attack: tackles the opponent, similar to Ganon's Dash Attack
N-Air: opens all arms, throwing weak punches all around his body
F-Air: slaps two hands in front of him
B-Air: holds two hands together and does a roundhouse punch(is this a thing? Lol)
U-Air: all four hands punch above him
D-Air: a slow, arching punch(think Ganon's Dair) downards, spikes in the middle of it
S-Smash: Brick Break-with one hand, swings it in an vertical arch, strong shield damage
U-Smash: Cross Chop-similar to Greninja's Up Smash, but the opposite way, first the sourspot hitbox and then the sweetspot
D-Smash: Rock Smash-punches the ground around him, creating small shockwaves that act as disjointed hitboxes.
Grab: grabs with both lower hands
Pummel: both upper hands punch the opponent's head
D-Throw: throws the opponent in the ground
U-Throw: Seismic Toss- jumps while holding the opponent with all hands and slams them into the ground
F-Throw: his upper hands grab the opponent through their head and throws them forward
B-Throw: holds the opponent, makes a small jump and falls backwards, slaming the opponent's head in the ground

Specials:
Neutral B-Superpower: Machamp glows red and throws a powerful and fast punch in front of him, but reduces his attack power and defenses for a short time after it, it can't be used until Machamp returns to normal srats
Side B-Knock Off:slaps in front of him in an overhead arch, deals extra damage and knockback if the opponent is holding an item(or has one equipped. I.E.: Franklin Badge) and makes them drop it
Up B-Sky Uppercut: Machamp charges a punch and jumps into the air, this move ignores airdodges
Down B-Counter: Machamp enters a superarmor state, hitting him during it will make him counter the first hit of any move for double damage, he will receive damage of any and all moves during it but will not receive any knockback, including non-countered hits

Final Smash: Close Combat
Dashes forward, if it connects, Machamp will hit them with a barrage of elemental punches finishing with a Focus Punch
Need help for taunts tho

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
We interrupt your Pokken talk to report this...odd leak.

http://www.xtralife.es/otros/figura-amiibo-shovel-knight/19515

A Spanish retailer listing a Shovel Knight Amiibo, specifically in the Smash line.

I don't know what to think. We've had retailer leaks for Amiibos before, but this is something else...it'd be effectively confirming a character in the very unlikely case it were real.

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Trigger words are a silly concept, and no amount of articles will change my mind on the subject. If someone says something that offends you, politely inform them and educate them on the issue. It's a system that's worked for thousands of years.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder though, if the other 4 costume Pikachus are in and they also act as shout out to Tekken regulars (normal chu as Mishima style, Lucha as Jaycee) what Tekken characters would they be? Belle-chu as Lilli?

DoodleDuck97

Smash Hero
Living in a peacefull place on nowhere islands.

A Spanish retailer listing a Shovel Knight Amiibo, specifically in the Smash line.

I don't know what to think. We've had retailer leaks for Amiibos before, but this is something else...it'd be effectively confirming a character in the very unlikely case it were real.
Well the Splatoon retailer leak was correct.
And the Mewtwo Amiibo Retailer confirming his exact release was right.
Welp.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I hope this is real so this entire thread can shut up about Indie characters not being important to Nintendo

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Here's my two cents from what I posted in Shovel Knight's support thread regarding this retailer leak.

There are few things about the retailer leak that should be pointed out on both sides of the real/false spectrum.

-Mockup art is very often used as a placeholder for preorders. I can confirm living in Mexico(because we also have Spanish, duh) that the preorder image for Star Fox Zero before it was shown as Star Fox Zero circa E3 was a SF logo with Fox's Sm4sh render on it. Now it's been changed, but it's worth pointing out. The FE: Fates preorder image remains a still image of Aqua from the first trailer, so what do I know.

-It's specifically using a Smash background. Again, placeholder image is a possibility. Chibi-Robo is getting an Amiibo, for instance, but that never used the Smash background, yet then again that was officially revealed and not leaked. Didn't stop RTC from saying he had a valid chance worthy of Top 10 though.

-It's true Yacht Club teased some megaton announcement, so it goes both ways. But Amiibo for unrevealed Smash characters? That would be odd.

Grains of salt, though.

Chrono.

I think it's just a huge goof up, considering the last wave of characters aren't even in that listing despite having confirmed figures in the works. Also SK's date is listed as November, there's just no way it'd come out that early.

The pictures themselves were PS'd by some dude over at Reddit using the Smashified art.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I'm not on #TeamReal at all regarding this, just pointing out a few factors that could make it go either way.

I'm banking on fake, though. Seems odd for a retailer to leak a Smash character via Amiibo.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Is it a genine listing or is it a cleverly made fake page. Remember when people started faking Dojo character pages with a slightly different URL?

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123
I'm not on #TeamReal at all regarding this, just pointing out a few factors that could make it go either way.

I'm banking on fake, though. Seems odd for a retailer to leak a Smash character via Amiibo.
What if its not a Smash character though? What if Shovel Knight is just getting an amiibo? .-.

Chrono.

What if its not a Smash character though? What if Shovel Knight is just getting an amiibo? .-.
Yeah but the question is "why?"

I know Yacht Games teased something and the Nintendo versions have nothing exclusive to them either, but an amiibo doesn't make a lot of sense. Why would the rest of platforms get free bonuses while you'd have to pay for the Nintendo exclusive feature?

Something kind of odd is how Shovel Knight costs more than your usual Smash amiibo.
Is it a genine listing or is it a cleverly made fake page. Remember when people started faking Dojo character pages with a slightly different URL?
It's geniune, if you go to the home page and search for the amiibo yourself you'll find it.

Last edited:

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
The Shovel Knight thing is just a goof on that retailers part. The image has been circulating for a while now. The other images show actual amiibos in their box, the Shovel Knight one is a 3D model. It's not that difficult to make a mistake like this, I'm sure someone just emailed them and asked why it wasn't included and they simply added it without doing any research. Is this even a major retailer? Anyone can open a storefront website.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom