• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Wait What?

If they were using the Wikipedia numbers for overall console sales that would show Street Fighter as smaller than Kirby. This doesn't take into account all the arcade monehs of which Street Figher is a champion. Probably why Crash Bandicoot is higher than Pac-Man too.
Most fighting games aside from MK and Smash have more sales in Arcades than consoles and PC.

Earthbound?

It's pretty common knowledge that Earthbound was a colossal failure in the states. I don't think even the biggest MOTHER fanboys or the biggest Street Fighter haters would think that Earthbound was a bigger success than SF2.
I'm just using it as an example of that but I know. I just used it as more of popular SNES games.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Chris Pranger said:
...People say, "Why do you hate money?" and we don't. And that's why we literally can't make everything, and people don't like finding out that their fanbase is actually too small to justify the cost of the thing they want. And they don’t get that. And they say, “Why don’t you do it anyway?”Smash Brothers is another game. People constantly go they flip out if Sakurai even hints that he made the franchise first and foremost for more casual experience, for more "fun loving player" as oppose to the like "hardcore tournament scene" and people hate that. People are like, "why don't you support the tournament scene? support the hardcore players?" Because-- you guys are loud and like ever present but you don't make up a great enough number to justify cost on this game.

“I don't know what it is with Melee players...but they seem to think that all the bugs that make competitive play possible at that level are intended but they are really not.”

They argue back and forth. Wave dashing for example. Wave dashing was intention--Sakurai left it in the game. Well-- they didn't do patches back then necessarily and that-- I dont know the whole story because it goes back and forth. I know that Sakurai's outlook on the games is very dire. He gets really sad when he finds out how people are reacting and he gets sad whenever there's a leak, because he really wants to create. And he's an auteur in the most crazy sense. He's basically Vincent Van Gogh cutting off his own ear and we're sitting there going "Frick! Stop doing that!" And he's like "You don't get it, guys, my vision! and we are like, “No, don’t, these people”
--Source

Chris also talks about how the footage was selected for the commercials. The one example given, Sakurai wanted Samus' final Smash to capture all 7 people (knocking at least 3 out), without it looking phony or fake. Even, with over 100 hours of gameplay footage, Sakurai ended up settling on something -- not happy with it at all.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
It's bloody simple, play an 8 player match with Samus, tell the players to let Samus get the Smash Ball and show some players try to avoid/beat Samus but fail, it's not that ****ing difficult!
--Source

Chris also talks about how the footage was selected for the commercials. The one example given, Sakurai wanted Samus' final Smash to capture all 7 people (knocking at least 3 out), without it looking phony or fake. Even, with over 100 hours of gameplay footage, Sakurai ended up settling on something -- not happy with it at all.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Really happy about Xenoblade being on the European E-shop now, hopefully the American one follows suit. More people need to play bes game.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Also 'We don't hate money' I still want to know why there still is no official confirmation from Nintendo about a classic Metroid game and why they thought FF was better to announce first
Probably because of this line...

And that's why we literally can't make everything, and people don't like finding out that their fanbase is actually too small to justify the cost of the thing they want.
More money to be made in a bigger market.

Khoru

Smash Champion
Also 'We don't hate money' I still want to know why there still is no official confirmation from Nintendo about a classic Metroid game and why they thought FF was better to announce first
ehhh that seems a little unfair because of its relative nicheness
i don't understand the vc thing though
like the us just getting rtdl
i want to play xenoblade

also they had 3ds gba games. why did they make the gba (and especially ds) vc on wii u

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I still believe that a true mainline 3DS Metroid exist in some regard and is coming soon. As for an HD Metroid, it'll be a long while for that.

Because the likes of Blanka and E. Honda are totally as well-known among the mainstream gaming population as Q and Remy.
Any character from SF2 (aside from the New Challengers not named Cammy and Akuma) are ALL iconic and have memorable themes, not counting Guile's Theme. Zangief, Bison, Dhalsim, Sagat are all iconic. Just because they aren't on Ryu or Chun-Li's level doesn't mean there are forgotten

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
also they had 3ds gba games. why did they make the gba (and especially ds) vc on wii u
They were ambassador rewards as a way of saying sorry for dropping the price after you'd bought the console for it's early price back when the 3ds launched.
Metroid Fusion is my most played on there followed by Sacred Stones and Wario Land 4.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Probably because of this line...

More money to be made in a bigger market.
FF doesn't seem like it'll do well based on fan reactions alone, I'll genuinely be surprised if it breaks a million sales, I'll still try to get it
ehhh that seems a little unfair because of its relative nicheness
i don't understand the vc thing though
like the us just getting rtdl
i want to play xenoblade

Haven't the previous Prime games been fairly successful?

NOW YOU KNOW OUR PAIN OF HAVING TO WAIT!
I live in Sweden.
Didn't you guys have no butter in the whole country?

Khoru

Smash Champion
They were ambassador rewards as a way of saying sorry for dropping the price after you'd bought the console for it's early price back when the 3ds launched.
Metroid Fusion is my most played on there followed by Sacred Stones and Wario Land 4.
they were still functional games and not something promotional like nintendouji or doc louis' punch-out
haven't they all been released on the wii u vc anyway? i mean having games that are playable as they were intended (on a handheld) seems like a silly thing to have exclusive to a system that's had like five newer versions

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
they were still functional games and not something promotional like nintendouji or doc louis' punch-out
haven't they all been released on the wii u vc anyway? i mean having games that are playable as they were intended (on a handheld) seems like a silly thing to have exclusive to a system that's had like five newer versions
I know Stones was available in the US about a month or two ago

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
--Source

Still better than working for Konami.

Doesn't really surprise me from what I've read in the Development History thread, but at least he's put in enough work to be somewhat picky IMO. Can't imagine what goes into making reveal trailer/direct.

Also that's the internet for you. Hopefully though, there's been enough sales to warrant VC Mother 3. Metroid has the worst fanbase in terms of Nintendo franchises IMO, and while I do think it's dumb they gave us something no one asked for, it's going to take a lot to repair the damage, not as much as a lot of franchises, but a lot. "shrugs"

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Metroid has the worst fanbase in terms of Nintendo franchises IMO, and while I do think it's dumb they gave us something no one asked for, it's going to take a lot to repair the damage, not as much as a lot of franchises, but a lot. "shrugs"
Dude. What franchise is this site for again? Considering Metroid has been going 8 years without a new game twice (OTHER M NEVER HAPPENED SHUT UP) we deserve to be pissed

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Any character from SF2 (aside from the New Challengers not named Cammy and Akuma) are ALL iconic and have memorable themes, not counting Guile's Theme. Zangief, Bison, Dhalsim, Sagat are all iconic. Just because they aren't on Ryu or Chun-Li's level doesn't mean there are forgotten
There is a reason why all the SSF2 characters except for DeeJay and T. Hawk ended up in vanilla SF4 and why most of the revealed veterans so far for SF5 are SF2 characters. SF2 characters are the characters that are among those SF characters that gets the most merchandise and references in pop culture. When in comes to the general gaming population, mention the franchise and SF2/SF4 are the only games that gets recognized, with the latter game incorporating the Original 12, Akuma and Cammy.

I suspect bitter fanboys angry at the supposedly "undeserving" attention SF2 is getting is what let some people to write something as delusional as that, grossly overestimating the popularity of their favourite niche character whilst treating legitimately iconic characters as nobodies (Even I as someone who wasn't a big fan of the Miis getting into Smash recognized how logical their includion would be, considering how big of a Nintendo icon they are)

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
Still better than working for Konami.

Doesn't really surprise me from what I've read in the Development History thread, but at least he's put in enough work to be somewhat picky IMO. Can't imagine what goes into making reveal trailer/direct.

Also that's the internet for you. Hopefully though, there's been enough sales to warrant VC Mother 3. Metroid has the worst fanbase in terms of Nintendo franchises IMO, and while I do think it's dumb they gave us something no one asked for, it's going to take a lot to repair the damage, not as much as a lot of franchises, but a lot. "shrugs"
Mother 3 on VC = all my moneh

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
There is a reason why all the SSF2 characters except for DeeJay and T. Hawk ended up in vanilla SF4 and why most of the revealed veterans so far for SF5 are SF2 characters. SF2 characters are the characters that are among those SF characters that gets the most merchandise and references in pop culture. When in comes to the general gaming population, mention the franchise and SF2/SF4 are the only games that gets recognized, with the latter game incorporating the Original 12, Akuma and Cammy.

I suspect bitter fanboys angry at the supposedly "undeserving" attention SF2 is getting is what let some people to write something as delusional as that, grossly overestimating the popularity of their favourite niche character whilst treating legitimately iconic characters as nobodies (Even I as someone who wasn't a big fan of the Miis getting into Smash recognized how logical their includion would be, considering how big of a Nintendo icon they are)
I know that. Me being a Street Fighter fan, I know SF2 is the most popular game in the series and everyone else is.

Considering how people are getting upset that R. Mika, Karin, Q, Alex, Urein and even Juri aren't in the game is stupid considering who else is in right now. Only people I can understand the pain is Sakura fans considering she's the 3rd most popular female SF character and a popular characters in general.

Even then people just want their small game to get notice AKA

"NOTICE ME SEMPAI!!!"

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I know that. Me being a Street Fighter fan, I know SF2 is the most popular game in the series and everyone else is.

Considering how people are getting upset that R. Mika, Karin, Q, Alex, Urein and even Juri aren't in the game is stupid considering who else is in right now. Only people I can understand the pain is Sakura fans considering she's the 3rd most popular female SF character and a popular characters in general.

Even then people just want their small game to get notice AKA

"NOTICE ME SEMPAI!!!"
I actually kinda like Juri tho

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I actually kinda like Juri tho
I do too, especially considering she's just Jolyne Joestar. And Abel and Alex as well but you gotta remember that SF2 will always have first crack and guys like Nash and Birdie should get their shot considering they haven't appeared since Alpha 3 and were Alpha 1 characters.

I just want Balrog, Sakura, Sean and more new characters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I do too, especially considering she's just Jolyne Joestar. And Abel and Alex as well but you gotta remember that SF2 will always have first crack and guys like Nash and Birdie should get their shot considering they haven't appeared since Alpha 3 and were Alpha 1 characters.

I just want Balrog, Sakura, Sean and more new characters.
All I want really is Skullomania. Needs moar Kamen Riders

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Dude. What franchise is this site for again? Considering Metroid has been going 8 years without a new game twice (OTHER M NEVER HAPPENED SHUT UP) we deserve to be pissed
Watching the salt of the 25th, modding the Ridley thread, and the recent FF over-backlash has done nothing but lower my opinion of the fandom.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Watching the salt of the 25th, modding the Ridley thread, and the recent FF over-backlash has done nothing but lower my opinion of the fandom.
That's implying all Ridley fans are Metroid fans. The only thing I can somewhat agree is the FF backlash, as a petition is ****ing dumb. 25th Anniversary didn't get celebrated at all, so it makes sense for fans to get salty

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
That's implying all Ridley fans are Metroid fans. The only thing I can somewhat agree is the FF backlash, as a petition is ****ing dumb. 25th Anniversary didn't get celebrated at all, so it makes sense for fans to get salty
You do realize that the small, vocal fanbase is exactly why Chris Pranger was talking about. We aren't the majority of the customers. They market isn't aligned to us, no matter how much we complain about it. We can get upset, but it's not going to change the fact they think they would go bankrupt if they only catered to the hardcore fanbase (whether or not this would actually happen is debatable, and unless we have access to market data is completely useless to speculate on).

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I can defend the Anniversary in the sake of most Nintendo franchises RARELY get anything wise Anniversary. Mario's 25th Anniversary was crap, Zelda's mostly have their games luck out on the Anniversary but really doesn't get a lot. Kirby is the only one that gets something decent considering Pokemon is absolutely crap with that.

I love the franchise but the fanbase is a crapshoot most cases.

Sort of like a few other ones :4sonic::4link::4pikachu:

IceBreakerXY

Universal Champion
Will Donkey Kong 20th anniversary didn't get celebrated and that is way more important to Nintendo history than metroid is.Not saying metroid fans didn't have a right to be sad but don't think there the only series to get shifted on their big year

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
You do realize that the small, vocal fanbase is exactly why Chris Pranger was talking about. We aren't the majority of the customers. They market isn't aligned to us, no matter how much we complain about it. We can get upset, but it's not going to change the fact they think they would go bankrupt if they only catered to the hardcore fanbase (whether or not this would actually happen is debatable, and unless we have access to market data is completely useless to speculate on).
My issue with this in the first place is that Federation Force was the first game since the game that many have considered to have killed the franchise. If Metroid had more consistent releases or had a new traditional game come out or at least get announced before FF, nobody would have gotten angry
I can defend the Anniversary in the sake of most Nintendo franchises RARELY get anything wise Anniversary. Mario's 25th Anniversary was crap, Zelda's mostly have their games luck out on the Anniversary but really doesn't get a lot. Kirby is the only one that gets something decent considering Pokemon is absolutely crap with that.

I love the franchise but the fanbase is a crapshoot most cases.

Kirby's Dreamcollection never even got in Europe

D

Deleted member

My issue with this in the first place is that Federation Force was the first game since the game that many have considered to have killed the franchise. If Metroid had more consistent releases or had a new traditional game come out or at least get announced before FF, nobody would have gotten angry

Kirby's Dreamcollection never even got in Europe
The problem with that is that they don't have other Metroid games to release, it was FF or nothing.
They wanted to make a new Metroid game to please the fans but they also wanted to make something new.
Besides, it's a 3rd party studio who is developing the game, Nintendo doesn't seem interested in making games that only sell well on the west

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Sonic's in his own unique tier of fandoms. But yeah, they're all terrible. It just depends on personal experiences.

I know I've probably bugged a lot of people with my opinions on the current state of Fire Emblem.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
The problem with that is that they don't have other Metroid games to release, it was FF or nothing.
They wanted to make a new Metroid game to please the fans but they also wanted to make something new.
Besides, it's a 3rd party studio who is developing the game, Nintendo doesn't seem interested in making games that only sell well on the west
FF isn't ready for release either, it's release was simply 2016. If they wanted to please the fans then they shouldn't make it the exact opposite of Metroid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom