• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solfiner

*Those Who Stand Against Our Path*
NNID
Solfiner
3DS FC
1676-3664-3928
FE8 is Sacred Stones, right?
If so, just a tip: in Chapter 13, you have to survive 11 turns, but do NOT kill the boss too early otherwise you'll lose the chance to recruit a certain unit
Believe me, I made that mistake
And he's also one of the best units in the entire game.

I myself am playing FE7 after doing two SS playthroughs. I really like 7 and 8 a lot.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
Wait, 3-4 more slots is now more likely?

.....can;t wait if 3ds data has to say something about it :)

But seriously, this can change everything. Before, 2 was most likely, if 3-4 is now the most likely possibilities, this is actually insane.

Because you could have wolf kkr and paper mario, and again, quite iffy on the first 2 (especially wolf). This is also dismissing the possibility of having a fourth slots.....

Welp.....do you feel the same @PushDustIn ?

Because tbh, 3-4 is surprising in my book.....

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

And he's also one of the best units in the entire game.

I myself am playing FE7 after doing two SS playthroughs. I really like 7 and 8 a lot.
I plan on doing Ephraim's route on hard once I finish my first playthrough(is this suicide tho?)
Also, found you, the one with the Cormag avatar, now we can be best buds with matching avis :^)

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Personally I think you guys are severely underestimating the amount of DLC characters Sakurai can make, that's just me though.

I'm betting my shoe that there will be 10+ characters. I can see 2 more fighter bundle packs coming.
I'm betting there's one final character left.

DarkDedede

Smash Journeyman
If this were FFXIV, all we would need for a new character would be a bunch of crystals, since it would seem the "hoping really hard" part is already handled. Instant character!

Then if there are any detractors, to the newly summoned character, they can just be tempered. :113:

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I'm calling it now 4 new characters will be left and it'll go 2 at a time.

2 fighters around August-October

2 fighters post ballot around February-March since they'll start working on it in late October but will take some time off in mid-late December.

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
I like @ Spazzy_D Spazzy_D 's Wolf, Dixie, Isaac and Inklings prediction for another 4 characters if we get them.

Personally I would replace Inklings with Rayman though, since if we're going to count out K. Rool, then we might as well count out Inklings. Rayman is also already in the game, too, which could definitely help him out.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
Sorry to keep asking this, but has anyone attempted 3ds data mining yet? Or have they tried and nothing showed up?

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
So, I know I will probably restate a lot of points here, but I felt like waiting to think about kkr before giving my opinion on it.

Just to be clear, I really don;t think he's close to deconfirmation at all. To me (with stuff like varia suit), it seems that the hypothetical scenario of being playable does not have much problems. I still feel he has chances considerable enough.

But where it gets tricky is I still think this lowered his chances.

Because to me, there;s 2 possible scenario: they choose him because they checked the ballot, or they simply were aware already and chose him after.

I don;t believe there were any circumstances. kkr hasn't appeared in a game since years and I even think the last one was a sport spinoff so not even sure if it counts THAT much. To choose his classic design with how much forgotten he seemed to be lately, there;s just gotta be a reasons to have him recognised. No matter if playable or not, this is quite good recognition. So, this is why I think it could only be because they were somehow aware of how requested he was.

However, after thinking about it, both possibilities come to the same conclusion: there wasn;t much point to do him as a costume if he was playable in the first place.

If they checked the ballot, this means that they are starting to get what characters they could be working on, but tbh, it just feels weird, why not jsut wait at the end of the ballot? Anyway, if they intended to have him a possible candidate for playable, why do effort to do a costume? Because you could do the character and have the costume later, logically, I would think it could work like that because having a character allows to have an easy costume, but the costume before..... Well it does help if they want to make a character, but again, why even doing it? Tbh however, this is not the msot likely possibility, I feel the selection for costumes were made with requests they heard of before ballot.

Which leads me to the next possibility: in this case, same conclusion, if it could have been a candidate, why doing the costume now? This is one if not the msot wanted in the world, what's the point here? Because there's many reasons, btu msot of them are coming to the conclusion that he's less likely. Maybe they actually thought about it and realised that for some reasons, something was wrong? maybe they already decided he wouldn;t be in the game before ballot?

the other possibility is they could have done it for fan service, but then wait for the ballot results to do him as a character. This honestly could happen, but I now have the same question as above, why not just wait for the costume then? idk, but it just feels odd, the costume alone is more a secondary contents, but the costume with the character is more an add on content. I would actually understand if they put the costume after the ballot is complete because then it would be more meaningful, but now, i feel the costume just released too early than it should have if he was playable.

The last point I'm going to make not only i do feel these are before ballot requests ideas, but I also feel a sense of they intended them to not be palyable. Chrom and flying man crosses my mind, we know these 2 are intended to not be playable, same for the third party one, seeing kkr in this batch is something that makes me worried for his chances.

In conclusion, I still think there's hope, but less then before. This is highly subjective however, it;s hard to have facts here so I mostly used the "I feel" instead of using facts. It;s entirely dependent on how Sakurai intended the costumes to be and it is currently not known much. For ssb4, I feel there;s less chances, but for future games (that does not exist btw), I do feel this could be somethign that would help him.

There, I said I probably restated a lot of things, but this was my opinion on him :)

D

Deleted member

A friend messaged me a Wii U bundle code but I'm away 1 hour from home.
I just want to live the dream of having a FE villain in Smash.
Even if it will look like a chibi Black Knight, it's the closest I'll ever get
Validar for Smash
Valter for Smash
Actual Black Knight for Smash
Grima for Smash

DMurr

The Radiant Hero
NNID
dmurray9
A friend messaged me a Wii U bundle code but I'm away 1 hour from home.
I just want to live the dream of having a FE villain in Smash.
Even if it will look like a chibi Black Knight, it's the closest I'll ever get
Validar for Smash
Valter for Smash
Actual Black Knight for Smash
Grima for Smash
Lol, Grima for Smash

But we already have him in Smash.

D

Deleted member

>Reveal Inkling costumes
>"They're deconfirmed, get over it"
>Reveal K. Rool kostume
>*input Ridley's shadow theories here*

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
3 is just the number I'm comfortable at. I could see there being between 2-6.
5 more would be pretty perfect if you think about it. That'd bring the total up to 60 including Mii Fighters. Though 9 total DLC characters sounds like a really odd number.

I can't think of any kind of fighting game that got more than 12 DLC characters in total (SFxT/UMvC) and that's the absolute maximum that I can think of. So there's pretty much no chance of 10+ more.

Personally I think Squeenix should get a rep before Ubisoft.
I don't think any company should get a rep just because. A 3rd Party character should only be added for the immense popularity, legacy and relevance it has.

Ubisoft has one of these characters, Square Enix doesn't.

Last edited:

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
>Reveal Inkling costumes
>"They're deconfirmed, get over it"
>Reveal K. Rool kostume
>*input Ridley's shadow theories here*
From what I remember, the general consensus with the Inklings is that the costume only meant that they wouldn't be pre-ballot characters, and they could easily be added to the game after the ballot was finished.

Chrono.

5 more would be pretty perfect if you think about it. That'd bring the total up to 60 including Mii Fighters. Though 9 total DLC characters sounds like a really odd number.

I can't think of any kind of fighting game that got more than 12 DLC characters in total (SFxT/UMvC) and that's the absolute maximum that I can think of. So there's pretty much no chance of 10+ more.
SFxT doesn't count since those characters were up and ready to go from the start.

Khoru

Smash Champion
I don't think any company should get a rep just because. A 3rd Party character should only be added for the immense popularity, legacy and relevance it has.

Ubisoft has one of these characters, Square Enix doesn't.
yes, because rayman invented and codified an entire genre of video games

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Okay, wtf FE8? There's a cutscene in the beginning which has Seth automatically fight, he dodged the hit yet the dialogue implies that shouldn't have happened
That brings back memories, I remember a long time ago someone tried to see if they could hack an opportunity for Seth to win.

No matter how much they upped his hit rate, dodge rate, changed his class or even turned him into a Demon Lord, Seth was always doomed to lose.

D

Deleted member

SE problem is that there are too many good characters, but they don't stay in their series for too long(or not even their own series. RIP Chrono Trigger)
I would love to see a FF rep, but the ones from the SNES era aren't as iconic as the 3rd parties we have.
If we need more RPG characters tho, we can always have an Atlus character, r-right?
*cough*Etrian Odyssey*cough*

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Square and it's RPGS are far far far far more important and iconic to gaming than Rayman, who while iconic is one of many iconic platformer main characters.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Rahman is just one of the standard platform in icons to me. He didn't really invent a new type of gameplay.

I find it irrelevant to his chances though.

From what I remember, the general consensus with the Inklings is that the costume only meant that they wouldn't be pre-ballot characters, and they could easily be added to the game after the ballot was finished.
Yeah the more I thought about it, the more I think the costumes affect their chances
Strike 1 was the Inklings
Strike 2 was King K. Rool (a big strike to me)
Strike 3 will make me completely believe that some costumes are direct responses to the ballot. Someone like Isaac or even a Bandanna Dee outfit would do.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I don't think Inkling was in response to the ballot, but rather pre-sales hype for that franchise.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Square and it's RPGS are far far far far more important and iconic to gaming than Rayman, who while iconic is one of many iconic platformer main characters.
As a series Final Fantasy is more iconic but Rayman is the more iconic character. The question of a Final Fantasy rep would be Pokemon Trainer style with a generic class or species like Black Mage, White Mage, Moogle or Chocobo. Cloud is a pretty big icon but he's not a Nintendo character. Cecil or Tera are fan favourites but they are not iconic.

Or there's Enix's contribution and because we know how Japan skewed Smash is, Slime for Smash.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Basically what @ Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6 said, but also that Cloud never even appeared in a game on a Nintendo system.

Final Fantasy may be a more successful/iconic franchise, but none of the characters hold a candle to Rayman in terms of renown.

ThePenguinGamer0

Smash Champion
NNID
Super_Mario_2000
3DS FC
5198-2770-5383
The requests for Inklings were just people blindly wanting a character just because "OMG NEW CHARACTER PROMOTION PROFIT".

I mean, the game had not even released when people started requesting them.

I still think it's too early.

TheNerdyOne_

Smash Ace
The requests for Inklings were just people blindly wanting a character just because "OMG NEW CHARACTER PROMOTION PROFIT".

I mean, the game had not even released when people started requesting them.

I still think it's too early.
Or because people actually like the characters and think they could bring something interesting and unique to the Smash roster.

Them bring a promotion for Splatoon was just an excuse some used to claim that they were likely, rather than the reason for wanting them. Of course, promotion has nothing to do with the Smash roster, which is why it was a horrible reason to claim that they were likely.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Basically what @ Guybrush20X6 Guybrush20X6 said, but also that Cloud never even appeared in a game on a Nintendo system.

Final Fantasy may be a more successful/iconic franchise, but none of the characters hold a candle to Rayman in terms of renown.
Cloud has been in several Kingdom Heart games as well as the Threatrhythm games on Nintendo hardware.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Meanwhile I'm still sitting in my corner thinking about The World Ends With You or Bravely Default as Squeenix representation choices

Rip me

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Cloud has been in several Kingdom Heart games as well as the Threatrhythm games on Nintendo hardware.
That's reaching a bit. Like saying that Ryo from Shenmue could be in just based off his appearance in Sonic Racing.

Khoru

Smash Champion
Ubisoft has been supporting Nintendo for a long time now.

Square Enix just jumped on the NX bandwagon.
ubisoft has held games back for the wii u because of its sales and even made ZombiU a multiplat
both square and enix released games almost exclusively for nintendo consoles in the 80s and 90s, and even now many of their "less cinematic" games are given to nintendo (e.g. TWEWY, bravely default, dragon quest). and, y'know. that whole "made five mario crossovers" thing.
i can certainly concede that final fantasy's revolving door cast doesn't lend it well to a character (although, considering recurring named archetypes, it shouldn't be considered much different from marth). obviously cloud shouldn't be smash, though. he's a sony character.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
That's reaching a bit. Like saying that Ryo from Shenmue could be in just based off his appearance in Sonic Racing.
well....he can
sakurai's rules for 3rd party characters were
they had to originated in a video game and
appear on a nintendo system at least once

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom