• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
heihachi's case was infact to be pacman's replacement should sakurai not be able to get pacman in his classic design
Not his replacement. He was just considered.

Interviewer: Between Bandai and Namco, were there any other strong candidates for inclusion as a fighter?
Sakurai: There were none. We basically thought of all the characters at the start of development. We decided on characters we knew we could make. However, there were a few in consideration, such as Heihachi from “Tekken.”
Full translation

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
huh well thats what i get for not reading your old articles more often
but the point still stands that they never considered K.rool
(watch as push releases an article saying they considered K.rool)
well since you said so...

I dont' have any proof that K. Rool was considered. I'm not even aware of a time when the King's name has even been brought up by Sakurai.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779

I dont' have any proof that K. Rool was considered. I'm not even aware of a time when the King's name has even been brought up by Sakurai.
HA good one push had me going their for a second

also mii sword fighter seems...buffed

Chrono.

This is weird.

This is the first time in a really long time we don't know who to look forward to lol

epicmartin7

Smash Master
NNID
epicmartin
Well, I just went through the threads past pages. I'm not really surprised that Dr. Mario was fake as @vaanrose pointed out the aspect ratio issues from the get go. It's just getting annoying that the same guy who did the Splatoon and Fighting Polygon Team leak keeps on producing them. One leak is already enough :p. By doing more, he has pretty much destroyed his credibility. GameOnion can't really be trusted as well. Otherwise I'm done with my mini-rant XD.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
huh well thats what i get for not reading your old articles more often
but the point still stands that they never considered K.rool
(watch as push releases an article saying they considered K.rool)
Up until the ballot.

At which point he was likely considered, rejected, and released as a Mii Fighter costume instead.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Up until the ballot.

At which point he was likely considered, rejected, and released as a Mii Fighter costume instead.
again the ballot isnt over
what your saying isnt how these things work
allow me to demonstrate its the presidential election and mid way through one of the candidates takes office....the elections not over but hes now running the country

"but the ballots not a poll" ive heard this a lot but ive never seen where this was from...same thing with some people saying "only your last vote counts" so can i get a source on this

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
allow me to demonstrate its the presidential election and mid way through one of the candidates takes office....the elections not over but hes now running the country
That doesn't work since we have WAY, WAY more than two people competing here.

Chrono.

Well, I just went through the threads past pages. I'm not really surprised that Dr. Mario was fake as @vaanrose pointed out the aspect ratio issues from the get go. It's just getting annoying that the same guy who did the Splatoon and Fighting Polygon Team leak keeps on producing them. One leak is already enough :p. By doing more, he has pretty much destroyed his credibility. GameOnion can't really be trusted as well. Otherwise I'm done with my mini-rant XD.

Strofirko

Smash Master
I wouldn't want to be that guy who will announce on the media:
"This is the last DLC character"

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Up until the ballot.

I think in this case you're letting your logic based brain see things as extremely black and white.

You could be right, sure, but there's also a pretty decent chance you are wrong.

We first heard about the August update (this is it, they said it came early on Facebook) back when Lucas, Ryu and Roy were released.

It'd seem to me to be too quick of a turn around for Sakurai's brain to see early poll results for any character and deem them someone he could do nothing with.

Heihachi seems like a different case where he briefly considered while making Ryu adding Heihachi as well to represent the other big fighting game series out there.

Sakurai seems like a man who lets his brain have at least a little time to fester over an addition before writing it off.

And mind you, I say this as someone who wants Dixie and Cranky more than K. Rool.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
It more than likely means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things to his present status, but Heihachi was also in PSASBR.

Just throwing that out there.

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Up until the ballot.

This could be the case. Remember in "Creators Hands Are Alive and Well" (hope I didn't mess up that title), Sakurai said that they were planning, making and debugging Dlc content at the same time. Since it probably doesn't take too long to make costumes, their plans could be affected by the ballot. Especially as Pre ballot content is likely to be over. But then again, we don't know how long they were planned for.

Honestly speaking it would've made more sense to release Chrom's costume in the first wave as Sakurai was aware of his popularity. Why wait until now? Is it because people are still requesting him on Miiverse? We really have no idea either way is pure speculation.

K Rool having a costume isn't a death sentence, but in my opinion-- it does more harm than good.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Just like the USA
I'm pretty sure that the voting system in the US is nowhere near as arbitrary as how the Ballot is looking to be with a massive slew of candidates(when really a presidential election boils down to two candidates every time), but let's not make this political. The comparison is still flawed either way because we have zero idea of how the ballot truly works.

Chrono.

Yeah the ballot is way too vague on how it works.

Honestly I would've preferred a straight up poll or just no ballot at all.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Your reaction if they made a combination of Ridley and K. Rool as a character? A mount character with K. Rool riding Ridley. lol

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Saying "These costumes were added to tide fans over while the real character is made!" is an assumption as well.

One that's a lot less realistic. And I prefer to go with what's realistic.
I'm not talking about what's realistic, like I said, I agree with you on that regard.

You're the one that brought up precedence, though. I was just pointing out that the only precedence that has been set is that costumes CAN be fighters (unlike something like assist trophies.) I don't think it's very likely at all that any of the DLC costume characters will be DLC newcomers. It doesn't change the fact that "there's no precedence for it" is a terrible argument as there is little in the way of any DLC precedence, and Mii costume precedence goes against your point.

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
I'm pretty sure that the voting system in the US is nowhere near as arbitrary as how the Ballot is looking to be with a massive slew of candidates(when really a presidential election boils down to two candidates every time), but let's not make this political. The comparison is still flawed either way because we have zero idea of how the ballot truly works.
You vote matters less in the Smash Ballot then it does in the presidential election. I say this as a political science major / Smash Bros fanatic.

It's a suggestion box.

There will be no direct winner. "several" fighters will be selected from a group that has the most amount of votes. It could be the top 5, it could be the top 25. We can get 2 fighters, we could get 6. We don't know either way but in this case I think it's best to lower your expectations.

Wario was #3 in the Smash 2 Polls and didn't get into Melee. Ganondorf was ranked much much higher than both Zelda and Sheik and yet Ganondorf was lucky to get in.

Also everyone needs to stop assuming hardcore Smash fans' desires (people taking fan polls) are the most popular. Ryu was ranked 30th? On the Mega Smash Poll and Sakurai said "but I was aware of his popularity". We aren't the focus of the fandom. We are an integral part of it, but we don't impact it as much as we like to think we do. If the hardcore scene did, Smash 4 would look very different. Sure it's closer than Brawl was to what people wanted but for many it falls short. Just look at how they do balancing for proof.

Sorry for being so cynical.

SuperMii3D

Mii-Based Fighter
NNID
PizzaDeliveryKid
3DS FC
5284-1700-6123

Was expecting troll face, I got disappointment instead :(

I wouldn't want to be that guy who will announce on the media:
"This is the last DLC character"
Poor Sakurai

Tr1pleDee

Together now!
NNID
Tr1pleDee
3DS FC
2964-8670-3007
Switch FC
SW-6770-0026-7427
https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3f8gvc/character_bundle_1_is_on_the_eshop/
In addition to all the new DLC added, they added an item called "Character Bundle 1" which has Mewtwo, Roy, Lucas, and Ryu. I think this means we will be getting another character bundle, possibly with 3 or 4 more characters! Just letting everyone know! What do you think about this?

Should clarify, I mean to say I think we will get the bundle in the future, not today or tomorrow!
Pretty interesting. I guess this means we are certainly getting 3-4 more characters or so, maybe even more. (unless they release a "bundle" with only 2 characters)

Dravidian

Smash Lord
NNID
NeoDeoN
There will be no direct winner. "several" fighters will be selected from a group that has the most amount of votes. It could be the top 5, it could be the top 25. We can get 2 fighters, we could get 6. We don't know either way but in this case I think it's best to lower your expectations.
Heck, we don't even know if it'll actually be a top character. It could be a character they have already interest in making, but want to see decent support first. What defines "decent" can vary, but it certainly doesnt have to be a top percentile.

Also everyone needs to stop assuming hardcore Smash fans' desires (people taking fan polls) are the most popular. Ryu was ranked 30th? On the Mega Smash Poll and Sakurai said "but I was aware of his popularity". We aren't the focus of the fandom. We are an integral part of it, but we don't impact it as much as we like to think we do. If the hardcore scene did, Smash 4 would look very different. Sure it's closer than Brawl was to what people wanted but for many it falls short. Just look at how they do balancing for proof.
Well I'm glad someone agrees with that mindset.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Personally I think you guys are severely underestimating the amount of DLC characters Sakurai can make, that's just me though.

I'm betting my shoe that there will be 10+ characters. I can see 2 more fighter bundle packs coming.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I think 3 or 4 more DLC characters sounds about right so I could definitely see a character pack 2 with 4 characters like the one that just went up..

Personally I think you guys are severely underestimating the amount of DLC characters Sakurai can make, that's just me though.

I'm betting my shoe that there will be 10+ characters.
I think @ SlickWylde SlickWylde would be willing to take that bet. But only if he can eat the shoe.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Über-badass because Black Knight outfit.

(This is totally not a biased answer.)
I actually only asked because of that costume

I'm betting my shoe that there will be 10+ characters.
Goodbye, Blue's Shoes

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I think I should point this out.....

On the 3DS' DLC shop, the ad on the top screen says "Turn your Mii into Lloyd, Chrom, and more!". It doesn't say "dress up" as them. It says turn them into those characters.

@ PushDustIn PushDustIn , could you check how it's worded on the Japanese version? If it's worded the same way, this could be a minor piece of evidence that the developers do consider Mii Fighter costumes as a way to put characters in without giving them a spot on the roster.

I'm not talking about what's realistic, like I said, I agree with you on that regard.

You're the one that brought up precedence, though. I was just pointing out that the only precedence that has been set is that costumes CAN be fighters (unlike something like assist trophies.) I don't think it's very likely at all that any of the DLC costume characters will be DLC newcomers. It doesn't change the fact that "there's no precedence for it" is a terrible argument as there is little in the way of any DLC precedence, and Mii costume precedence goes against your point.
No, there's precedence for members of the current roster getting DLC costumes. There is none for costume characters becoming fighters.

I'm not saying it's impossible, either. Just that it's more likely they won't be DLC than it is that they will be. All of the arguments I've seen trying to explain around K. Rool's costume status (Inkling as well) have been flimsy, desperate bargaining. People don't want it to happen, so they're trying to find ways to explain around it. I'm aware the situation is far less extreme than what happened with Ridley, but they're the same on the grounds that things don't look like they're going the way people were hoping for, so they're trying to think of ways to deny what's happening.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom