• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

NintenZone Social Thread: Shovel Knight Amiibo Hype Catastrophe (feat. Swamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Shantae: Male mii wear Shantae costume? lol nope
Why not? Nintendo has been promoting the idea of men and women wearing clothing traditionally intended to be worn by the other sex for years now.

Games like Tomodachi Life, Animal Crossing, and Zelda: TriForce Heroes allow it. Even SSB4 currently does; the Isabelle costume can be worn by male Mii Fighters, as can every traditionally female wig and head accessory.

or would they just say "take a costume" after all of those years of waiting?
You say that as if you have a choice in the matter.

In the event he was made a costume, that would be it, you'd be getting a costume. There's no "That's not good enough, Sakurai! Give us a character!".

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Yeah, but it's still based off a character already in the game.

There's still no precedent for a character being a Mii Fighter costume first and then getting upgraded to a fully playable character, and at least two of the costumes we've gotten are from characters who were turned down from the main roster.
I mostly agree with you since it makes sense to me, but there's also no stated rule that says having a costume effects a character's chances negatively. There has been very little precedence set with DLC in general, so It's all (logical) supposition.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Last edited:

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
Well well well, look who was right about nothing "notable" being announced!

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I mostly agree with you since it makes sense to me, but there's also no stated rule that says having a costume effects a character's chances negatively. There has been very little precedence set with DLC in general, so It's all (logical) supposition.
There's no rule saying that Assist Trophies and Bosses can't be DLC either, yet that's commonly accepted as one.

There is a very good chance these costumes are being used as a sort of "consolation prize" for characters who didn't quite make the cut.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Well well well, look who was right about nothing "notable" being announced!
I just well expected it. It's people looking for false hope and trying to find hype because of the K. Rool costume.

Now people are gonna act like Sakurai owe us a character reveal after the costume announcement.

Just saying. Now let me enjoy my buffs, stages and Mii Fighter Hoodie

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Yeah, but it's still based off a character already in the game.

There's still no precedent for a character being a Mii Fighter costume first and then getting upgraded to a fully playable character, and at least two of the costumes we've gotten are from characters who were turned down from the main roster.
I completely agree with you.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
There's no rule saying that Assist Trophies and Bosses can't be DLC either, yet that's commonly accepted as one.

There is a very good chance these costumes are being used as a sort of "consolation prize" for characters who didn't quite make the cut.
I get that, and I agree. The thing is that we have never seen a stage boss or Assist Trophy have a playable role in the same game that they serve the AT or Boss function. There is precedence for that train of thought.

We HAVE seen playable characters have Mii costumes that represent them. That's the only precedence we have in regards to characters and costumes. Adding the modifier of "except if the character is added after the character as DLC" is an assumption. As I mentioned before, it is a somewhat logical assumption, but it is an assumption none the less.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I get that, and I agree. The thing is that we have never seen a stage boss or Assist Trophy have a playable role in the same game that they serve the AT or Boss function. There is precedence for that train of thought.

We HAVE seen playable characters have Mii costumes that represent them. That's the only precedence we have in regards to characters and costumes. Adding the modifier of "except if the character is added after the character as DLC" is an assumption. As I mentioned before, it is a somewhat logical assumption, but it is an assumption none the less.
Saying "These costumes were added to tide fans over while the real character is made!" is an assumption as well.

One that's a lot less realistic. And I prefer to go with what's realistic.

Last edited:

Burb

The Absolute Worst
Did we ever have someone check the 3DS version of the update for hidden stuff?
There was a video file labeled "DLC Plans", and when the data miner tried to open it, the screen started to glow and their face melted off like in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

SlickWylde

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1349-5237-9158
You, and, like, everyone except 5 or so people who inexplicably thought we'd be getting a character? :p
I don't remember who it was, but someone last night was arguing (well not arguing, just disagreeing) and saying that "They will for sure give us something exciting" so I was mostly playfully mocking that person :happysheep:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
We still don't have too much to go off of. All we know is Sakurai is aware of K. Rool.

Also on the topic of Mii costumes, why are there no Sonic ones yet? there were loads of them in the Mario & Sonic Olympic games.Also what would you think of a Rayman Brawler costume, complete with invisible arms and legs?

Burb

The Absolute Worst
I don't remember who it was, but someone last night was arguing (well not arguing, just disagreeing) and saying that "They will for sure give us something exciting" so I was mostly playfully mocking that person :happysheep:
I know the context.

I was more poking fun at those who expected something huge.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
Saying "These costumes were added to tide fans over while the real character is made!" is an assumption as well.

One that's a lot less realistic. And I prefer to go with what's realistic.
how is it more realistic? where is this example that applies to this exact circumstance that makes it more realistic?
all this is right now is this character has a mii costume....thats it theres nothing definitive for either side of the argument
its all opinions at this point

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
There was a video file labeled "DLC Plans", and when the data miner tried to open it, the screen started to glow and their face melted off like in Raiders of the Lost Ark.
See I thought a portal would open up, Sakurai would step out, start shouting Kalima and rip the data miner's heart out.

Seemed more his style.

Burb

The Absolute Worst
how is it more realistic? where is this example that applies to this exact circumstance that makes it more realistic?
all this is right now is this character has a mii costume....thats it theres nothing definitive for either side of the argument
its all opinions at this point
"We're going to release this K. Rool costume so people play as a Mii version of him for a couple months while we make the real one!" just sounds like bargaining to me. Every theory involving Mii Costumes being used to gauge character popularity strikes me that way. It's a waste of resources to use them to collect data they could just gather from the ballot.

It reeks the same odor of desperation that the people who said "Hey, we could still get Ridley as a Wii U exclusive! Or maybe the boss will be the Other M version and we'll get Super Metroid Ridley as a playable character!".

It strikes me as people trying to explain away the problem.

Last edited:

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
"We're going to release this K. Rool costume so people play as a Mii version of him for a couple months while we make the real one!" just sounds like bargaining to me.

It reeks the same odor of desperation that the people who said "Hey, we could still get Ridley as a Wii U exclusive! Or maybe the boss will be the Other M version and we'll get Super Metroid Ridley as a playable character!".

It strikes me as people trying to explain away the problem.
the difference being ones a costume and the other is the actual character as a boss
you cant apply the ridley logic here because its not king K roll its a costume WE can all see thats ridley on pyrosphere hell if K.Rool was added to a stage in dlc THAT would have been the end of it but as it stands its a different situation

Burb

The Absolute Worst
the difference being ones a costume and the other is the actual character as a boss
you cant apply the ridley logic here because its not king K roll its a costume WE can all see thats ridley on pyrosphere hell if K.Rool was added to a stage in dlc THAT would have been the end of it but as it stands its a different situation
The purpose of most of these costumes are so you can "play as" the character they represent. They make this quite clear in the New Content stream.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
The purpose of most of these costumes are so you can "play as" the character they represent. They make this quite clear in the New Content stream.
okay so how do you know that they arnt talking specificly about the third party characters like the large majority of mii costumes that arnt generic animals or outfits are 3rd party characters

Last edited:

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
See I thought a portal would open up, Sakurai would step out, start shouting Kalima and rip the data miner's heart out.

Seemed more his style.
...and that's why I stopped data mining. I became aware of the prophecy through the translations and the "connecting the dots" articles that I write.

In an unrelated, yet somewhat related note: Source Gaming got its' first donation on patreon! We are now 1/4 of the way to becoming self-sufficient. Hooray!

I really enjoy the debate @ Burb Burb and @ Spazzy_D Spazzy_D are having. It's a big question, and something that we can only speculate on for now.

I'll be interviewing the guys who were behind the fake Dr. Mario leak (I saw @gameonion posting here!), probably tomorrow. So expect that....and not the Wario article very soon (Sorry).

Burb

The Absolute Worst
okay so how do you know that they arnt talking specificly about the third party characters like the large majority of mii costumes are 3rd party characters
What difference does it make?

One of them, Heihachi, was a character who was turned down from the game's main roster. He got a Mii Costume instead.

powerprotoman

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5425-9729-7779
What difference does it make?

One of them, Heihachi, was a character who was turned down from the game's main roster. He got a Mii Costume instead.
heihachi's case was infact to be pacman's replacement should sakurai not be able to get pacman in his classic design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom